Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,301 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Boggling at the idea that SF "dont complain", here or everywhere else

No, FF FG Greens and all those backing them here - can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Floppybits

6 wrote: »
    Is he getting the sack? Sinn Fein would be calling for such action if the shoe was on the other foot.

Weed out all these spoofers from all parties.

Over a tweet when Varadkar walks away with nothing done against him for leaking confidential documents or McEntee appointing a FG crony to the Supreme Court at Leo's bidding. Not a chance

All this is is FG throwing a tantrum because they have been exposed over the last couple of weeks. Let's not forget the tweets body shaming Mary Lou. Nothing but a distraction from the governments handling of the Leo leak , McEntee appointing crony Woulfe to the Supreme Court and the vote the other night not to pay student nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Floppybits wrote: »
    Over a tweet when Varadkar walks away with nothing done against him for leaking confidential documents or McEntee appointing a FG crony to the Supreme Court at Leo's bidding. Not a chance

All this is is FG throwing a tantrum because they have been exposed over the last couple of weeks. Let's not forget the tweets body shaming Mary Lou. Nothing but a distraction from the governments handling of the Leo leak , McEntee appointing crony Woulfe to the Supreme Court and the vote the other night not to pay student nurses.

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,304 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

FG = bad
    SF = bad

Same oul ding dong

FG and SF may actually suit each other in government more than each other would care to admit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Floppybits

FG = bad
    SF = bad

Same oul ding dong

FF, FG and SF are all as bad as each other. Notice the silence from the other parties because they know its just a load of crap. Mainly FG with assist from their pal Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

blanch152 wrote: »
    Do you ever consider why retaliation is considered worthy of a red card in soccer and rugby? Because retaliation and reaction like that tend to set off a longer, bigger conflict.

You cannot compare real life to a football match FFS. Peoples lives and livelihoods were being crushed. They had a right to retaliate.

Honest question. How do you feel about our War of Independence?
    The correct reaction to those events was the reaction of people like John Hume and Seamus Mallon. The wrong reaction was that of the IRA, which only inflicted misery on the people of Northern Ireland, and to a lesser extent, the rest of us, for three decades.

If you believe that would have ultimately achieved equality, that's your right. I disagree.
    P.S. If you knew your history, you would also know that the British Army only arrived after the conflict had started. Try not to learn history from propaganda films.

Oh FFS, you know what I meant. If you want to be pedantic about it, fine. The Crown Forces started the war. The RUC staged the initial attack and then the British Army came in and escalated it beyond belief. Same difference.

If they had allowed Catholics to hold their peaceful protests, the Troubles simply would not have happened. If the British Army hadn't massacred civilians on Bloody Sunday, they would not have escalated to the extent that they did.

If you throw a punch at me for literally no reason at all and I punch you in the face and break your nose in response, that's on you. It's your f*cking fault for behaving like a c*nt. It's no different when applied to the state systematically oppressing an entire demographic of people.

FG and SF may actually suit each other in government more than each other would care to admit.

FF and SF, surely? FG and SF are diametrically opposed economically. FF are the same currently but historically they've been a lot further left than FG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

FF and SF, surely? FG and SF are diametrically opposed economically. FF are the same currently but historically they've been a lot further left than FG.

The next election will lead to FF/FG becoming one party as it will be the only chance to keep SF out

Bowie wrote: »
    Hopefully FF/FG/Greens tacticians never realise hiding behind SF doesn't work.
    Imagine you're critical of government for good reason and all you hear is SFSFSF. Wouldn't draw you in to voting for them I'd imagine.

I know so many people who have never voted for SF and are throwing them a vote next time just because of FG's ongoing tantrum in relation to losing the election. It's hilarious.

• Advertisement

The next election will lead to FF/FG becoming one party as it will be the only chance to keep SF out

That's another possibility but if it happens, FF will split between centre-right folks and centre-left folks. The centre-right will join FG, the centre-left will join SF, and FF as an entity will cease to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

After Leo and McEntee got off without even a slap on the wrists, not a chance will SF sack him

If they did, it would put serious pressure on the Leo and McEntee.

They both will be praying this is the end of it

Sorry did I miss something?

Did Leo & Helen McEntee tweet support on the anniversary of Terrorist attacks in 1979.

No, obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Was there a tweet from a TD body shaming Mary-Lou?

Did Leo & Helen McEntee tweet support on the anniversary of Terrorist attacks in 1979.

No, obviously not.

We'll let Leo and Helen post about the 'Terrorist' attack in Kilmichael.

Was there a tweet from a TD body shaming Mary-Lou?

I think they show what they think of female bodies by pulling them onto their laps blanch. Old school style.

No, obviously not.

One leaked a confidential Government document to his mate, then tried to cover it up

The other appointed a judge because Leo told her, hiding the fact from all others in Govt till the truth came out

Both have talked about Kilmichael I'm sure, an awful terriorst attack

You cannot compare real life to a football match FFS. Peoples lives and livelihoods were being crushed. They had a right to retaliate.

Honest question. How do you feel about our War of Independence?

If you believe that would have ultimately achieved equality, that's your right. I disagree.

Oh FFS, you know what I meant. If you want to be pedantic about it, fine. The Crown Forces started the war. The RUC staged the initial attack and then the British Army came in and escalated it beyond belief. Same difference.

If they had allowed Catholics to hold their peaceful protests, the Troubles simply would not have happened. If the British Army hadn't massacred civilians on Bloody Sunday, they would not have escalated to the extent that they did.

If you throw a punch at me for literally no reason at all and I punch you in the face and break your nose in response, that's on you. It's your f*cking fault for behaving like a c*nt. It's no different when applied to the state systematically oppressing an entire demographic of people.

https://www.thejournal.ie/brian-stanley-delete-twitter-facebook-5288468-Dec2020/

Micheal Martin puts it better than I can:

"I wasn’t entirely satisfied with the nature of the apology that was made. It’s part of a wider agenda by Sinn Fein to essentially justify the narrative of the last 30-odd years. That’s a problem for me and I think it’s a problem in terms of making sure that younger generations, growing up in this country are not hoodwinked or not misled into thinking that all these deeds over the last 30 years were glorious ones, they were far from it. "

The IRA were wrong in everything they did, all decent people know that.

I think they show what they think of female bodies by pulling them onto their laps blanch. Old school style.

So NO, then,

Another classic whataboutery fail.

I don't buy that SF are too left leaning. Didn't they support cutting corporation tax in the North? Did they reform welfare?

They'd slot in beside FG at the drop of a hat.

Wouldn't surprise me to see SFG in 4 years time.

We'll let Leo and Helen post about the 'Terrorist' attack in Kilmichael.

You're so smart, trying to legitimise the 79' murders by equating them with Kilmichael attack in 1920, ergo (in your book) the Provos carried out a legitimate attack < this is your mindset.

• Advertisement

You're so smart, trying to legitimise the 79' murders by equating them with Kilmichael attack in 1920, ergo (in your book) the Provos carried out a legitimate attack < this is your mindset.

Well both were acts of terror where incident people got caught up in

Well both were acts of terror where incident people got caught up in

So Stanley's Tweet was good?

There was no difference only time tbh.

There was no difference only time tbh.

Only time between the two IRAs you say.

So then, I presume by your logic any attacks carried out by the Provisional IRA were legitimate?

https://www.thejournal.ie/brian-stanley-delete-twitter-facebook-5288468-Dec2020/

"I wasn’t entirely satisfied with the nature of the apology that was made. It’s part of a wider agenda by Sinn Fein to essentially justify the narrative of the last 30-odd years. That’s a problem for me and I think it’s a problem in terms of making sure that younger generations, growing up in this country are not hoodwinked or not misled into thinking that all these deeds over the last 30 years were glorious ones, they were far from it. "

Were the RUC wrong in everything they did when it came to suppressing peaceful demonstrations? Were the British Army wrong in everything they did supporting the Loyalist cause? Yes or no?

So Stanley's Tweet was good?

Nothing wrong with it. He should have left it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He's merely peddling the fallacy that SF or the IRA are trying to excuse or hide their past. Quite frankly his comment smacks of fear because the civil war partnership seem to be losing the younger vote.
    I would imagine MM couldn't give two ****s about the troubles outside of point scoring.

The same decent people refuse to pay student nurses working through Covid? Decent people would not agree with doing that.

Only time between the two IRAs you say.

So then, I presume by your logic any attacks carried out by the Provisional IRA were legitimate?

In their eyes yes.

Like, do you not know this about the IRA and SF?
    Why is this a surprise?

In their eyes yes.

Like, do you not know this about the IRA and SF?
    Why is this a surprise?

Their eyes, yes of course I know about their twisted logic, but I was trying extract your own personal logic and excuse for supporting the now disgraced Stanley. Probably going round in circles now, so I'll bow out of this depressing thread . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

SF are trying to attract the so called middle classes. LOL, they have the knuckle draggers already.

Anyone with half a brain knows that stuff like this is just below the surface of a lot of SF TDs, councillors and so on. MLMD should be mortified, but is playing to her audience. It is totally disgusting.

They sure haven't gone away at all.

Advertisement