Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

^That is scary & unforgivable^

The murder of Lord Mountbatten was carried out in this State and the soldiers were murdered in Northern Ireland (UK) as recognised by international law.

Nobody here has justified the killing of Mountbatten or the children. That is one of the many IRA activities I and many others find utterly morally reprehensible. Mountbatten himself was an absolute scumbag of the British Army but there is no excuse for the manner in which he was targeted, which involved civilians and children at that. Nobody here has justified it.
    The Provisional IRA were a Terrorist organisation, and as such their actions were illegal, so why would you celebrate their actions? specially with such great loss of life, you obviously have strong IRA sympathies, which says it all.

The 1916 rising was also illegal. As was everything Republicans did during the War of Independence. As was Dev declaring a Republic and leaving the Commonwealth. As were the civil rights marches in Derry which results in the police engaging in extreme violence and gave birth to the entire Troubles conflict.

Many things which are illegal under civilian law happen during a time of war. That has no bearing on their morality.
    Stanley should have sent out a full apology to the families of the children murdered that day, plus the family of the Nanny? I guess he'd never apologise to the Mountbatten family.

He wasn't talking about Mountbatten. The tweet was about an attack on the British Army.
    It's like some people on this forum don't understand what murder or terrorism is, very sad altogether, but isn't it great that you can say anything you like in the form of terrorist glorification (and get away with it).

You just sit back there and wallow in the celebration of their murders...

Again, who is celebrating the murder of Mountbatten or his family? The tweets were sent in relation to a different attack which exclusively targeted actively serving soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

he deleted his account https://twitter.com/BrianStanleyTD/ and FB

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

Prove what? That you ignore fat shaming of a specific female politician? The 'principled caller outer' should be able to link us to a post of his on the many SF threads where it routinely happens showing him calling it out in a principled way.

Perhaps you can point out other instances where one member of the Oireachtas went out of their way to reference the sexual life of another member.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,900 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

rdwight wrote: »
    Perhaps you can point out other instances where one member of the Oireachtas went out of their way to reference the sexual life of another member.

I am not aware of any. I could show you a tweet where a member says Yippee we have rights for gays but what we need now is workers rights.
    Written by somebody who is in a party that campaigned for those rights as he did himself while other members of the Oireachtas denied those rights until it was politically advantageous not to oppose them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭golfball37

he deleted his account https://twitter.com/BrianStanleyTD/ and FB

Belfast has spoken I’d say

• Advertisement

I am not aware of any. I could show you a tweet where a member says Yippee we have rights for gays but what we need now is workers rights.
    Written by somebody who is in a party that campaigned for those rights as he did himself while other members of the Oireachtas denied those rights until it was politically advantageous not to oppose them anymore.

You think the phrase "yippee for D tory" is a celebration of either Leo's election or a gay rights referendum from two years previously?

God love you.

Stop digging Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Written by somebody who is in a party that campaigned for those rights as he did himself while other members of the Oireachtas denied d those rights until it was politically advantageous not to oppose them anymore.

Jesus there is no end to it.

rdwight wrote: »
    You think the phrase "yippee for D tory" is a celebration of either Leo's election or a gay rights referendum from two years previously?

God love you.

Stop digging Francie.

He is calling Leo a Tory as many have.

He is calling Leo a Tory as many have.

Thanks. But we all got that bit at first sight of the tweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

KarlMarks wrote: »
    I'm a proud Irish Republican. Why would I want to apologise for the actions of the IRA (even though I sided more with the actions of another republican grouping and am a reluctant SF voter)? The British Army are a foreign army on this island and the PIRA carried out a succcesful action that struck right at the heart of the enemy. That is to be celebrated. Its you Free Staters who like to pick and choose which bits of history you celebrate who are the ones having to jump through hoops.

You are a laugh a minute. Please keep it coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

batman75 wrote: »
    Curious as to what you define as successful. The IRA failed in the ultimate objective which was to remove British governance from the island.

Their ultimate goal was to remove British control of the North..

They may not have achieved that, but they did achieve peace up North. They did win back the rights and dignities of the oppressed up North. They did make the oppressor take notice and relent and ease back on their pressing of oppression..

They had “wins.” Wins that many people may not fully see, understand or appreciate..But many people do understand and see and appreciate..

There is no place for the IRA now or recently. Their job is done, over.

Desperate that any people had to die, but the IRA (humans/people) did what they felt they absolutely had to do at the time under the circumstances..

I would never fault them for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    I'm sure you do. People lying to use the subjects of racism and homophobia to further an agenda disrespects and belittles genuine critics.

Look let’s be clear on this.

I don’t buy the “I’m not a racist but I was just pointing out that Leo was called the Indian by a Loyalist” excuse that you have been putting out. Saying it once last February might have been accidental, but repeating it is deliberate. If that is what you mean by an agenda, I make no apology.

You can fool others, but I don’t buy it. However, I accept that the mods have let it go, but I expect it won’t be long until the mask slips again.

I also think Sinn Fein are a huge threat to our democracy akin to Trump and his ilk. Again, no apologies for that if that’s what you mean by an agenda.

So instead of snide remarks to me about an agenda, just accept you won’t change my mind on those two issues. If you are talking about some other agenda, that is just a figment of your imagination. You might spell it out to give me a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Deep man :rolleyes:

It's said that people inherently dislike the people that they're most similar to. Judging by all your posts on here about Stanley, you're quite like him.

walshb wrote: »

They may not have achieved that, but they did achieve peace up North. They did win back the rights and dignities of the oppressed up North. They did make the oppressor take notice and relent and ease back on their pressing of oppression..

They had “wins.” Wins that many people may not fully see, understand or appreciate..But many people do understand and see and appreciate..

Desperate that any people had to die, but the IRA (humans/people) did what they felt they absolutely had to do at the time under the circumstances..

What about the horses though!! ?

Surely they didn't deserve that:)

They achieved peace by stopping killing people, just like the man who stopped beating his wife achieved a peaceful marriage.

All of the rest was on offer in Sunningdale and was achievable by peaceful means. It was delayed not helped by terrorism as the terrorism gave the Brits and unionists an excuse not to implement change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

blanch152 wrote: »
    They achieved peace by stopping killing people, just like the man who stopped beating his wife achieved a peaceful marriage.

All of the rest was on offer in Sunningdale and was achievable by peaceful means. It was delayed not helped by terrorism as the terrorism gave the Brits and unionists an excuse not to implement change.

SF on the membrane

Sunningdale that Unionists brought down blanch. Hume failed with that one and wouldn't succeed until he took up Alex Reid's offer to talk and then team up with Adams.
    Together, they brought about the GFA, an agreement that those Unionists again tried to scupper at the time of signing and up until recently. Not even the British dared break it either, even though they tried.

SF on the membrane

It is pretty much the John Hume/Seamus Mallon take on events so more like SDLP on the brain.

It is pretty much the John Hume/Seamus Mallon take on events so more like SDLP on the brain.

Highest Polling with Red C EVER

Best Election is decades

Alls going good

Seamus that along with Eddie McGrady and others that forced Hume to go on a solo run blanch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This post is all over the shop. You're no Tim Pat Coogan.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Best Election is decades

Alls going good

How's that United Ireland objective working out?

Seems the kingdom is more united than ever:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Best Election is decades

Alls going good

They'll certainly top the poll in Dundalk anyway;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel with that one. Of course the person waffling about his principals likes it. Shows where his principals really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Floppybits wrote: »
    Really scraping the bottom of the barrel with that one. Of course the person waffling about his principals likes it. Shows where his principals really are.

Interesting post and like. Loyalist mask slips :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Strange timing to be beating the drum for a united kingdom as the wheels are well and truly falling off the clown car. A complete and utter laughing stock over the last number of years and the 'negotiations' over the border show what a weak and feeble position the British are now in. Dictated to by virtually every country on the continent and have to grin and bear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What part of "The RUC and British Army started this conflict, not the IRA" is lost on you? You claim to know about how the Troubles started and yet you continue to deny that the IRA was a reaction to something.

The Kingdom that's gonna fall apart once the Scots make a move

Yes it's united as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

someone should tell scotland that:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

It's said that people inherently dislike the people that they're most similar to. Judging by all your posts on here about Stanley, you're quite like him.

No, I'm not similar to Stanley or his violent Republican sympathies, I'm quite the opposite.
    I despise Loyalist sympathisers too as it happens. True for some reason I feel the need to criticise Stanley's tweets and his supporters on here, not sure that makes me "quite like him" though.

What happens quite a lot nowadays is that a Sinn Fein person puts up a 'dog whistle' tweet, deletes it ASAP (so as to get off the hook), the deleted tweet us then rightly condemned by all & sundry, but then the waves of Sinn Fein/IRA support sweeps across social media, then foolishly people like myself get sucked into the abyss and end up having arguments with IRA sympathisers about good bombs & bad bombs, good murders & wrong ones (me suggesting they're all bad). Hope that doesn't make me like him as you suggest.

He's deleted his Twitter account anyway (probably forced to do so).

Advertisement