Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

His explanation was that it was a reference to the rights achieved for gay people. Rights he campaigned for while others denied and blocked them including the person the tweet was directed at.

Your reading of it is just convenient hindsight. Not one person, woke or other wise passed any remarks on it when it first appeared.

But I thought it wasn't drawing attention to Varadkar's sexual orientation?
    Where in that tweet is 'attention drawn to Varadkar's sexual orientation'?

WTF it was in response to Varadkar's 'people who get up early in the morning' gaff, that even Coveney criticised.

You change your story to suit the defend SF at all costs narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Imagine celebrating the Battle of The Boyne in a UI by the same token Nobotty or the actions of the British Army (ignoring what they did here, as those who wear the poppy decide to do).

Sooner or later the conversation will have to be had about how we remember or celebrate or commemorate. Do a select few get to decide?

The battle of the Boyne is what 400 years ago
    Huge difference
    It would be like saying don't be a Catholic because of the Spanish inquisitions
    I just don't see any celebrations of events that didn't create a state
    Kilmichael for example had a state made in 2 years
    A UI once it happens at this stage will be 20 years of people coming together and not ambushes,gunfight or bombs
    Which is why tweeting a conflating of two widely differently interpreted events does not help

• Registered Users Posts: 67,093 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »

Correct, it wasn't. Varadkar is gay blanch, it's time you got over that. Mentioning somebody who happens to be gay in the same comment as you reference the campaign for gay rights is not homophobic. It is a sign of your uptightness about somebody being gay though.

You change your story to suit the defend SF at all costs narrative.

I, before I knew what he was referencing specifically, interpreted it as being a reference to Leo's Toryish gaff about early risers. The Tweet works as that as well.

I was wrong, have said I was several times. Not sue other than that what your point is. The tweet was not homophobic on either interpretation in my book. Unless of course you need a scalp and have certain principles about these things.

Nobotty wrote: »
    The battle of the Boyne is what 400 years ago
    Huge difference
    It would be like saying don't be a Catholic because of the Spanish inquisitions
    I just don't see any celebrations of events that didn't create a state
    Kilmichael for example had a state made in 2 years
    A UI once it happens at this stage will be 20 years of people coming together and not ambushes,gunfight or bombs
    Which is why tweeting a conflating of two widely differently interpreted events does not help

Ask somebody trapped in their house as a band goes past triumphalising that 400 year old battle.
    If a UI is achieved then Narrow Water will be seen by some as having helped achieved that. Whether you agree or not is moot, the question is still the general one...how do we come up with a way to celebrate, commemorate and remember a divided past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Ask somebody trapped in their house as a band goes past triumphalising that 400 year old battle.
    If a UI is achieved then Narrow Water will be seen by some as having helped achieved that. Whether you agree or not is moot, the question is still the general one...how do we come up with a way to celebrate, commemorate and remember a divided past?

The some will be as it is now Francie a tiny minority
    I certainly wouldn't be celebrating it
    I'd rather move on and live in the new dispensation
    The triumphalising is engrained on both sides,its not exclusively Orange
    I dont think orange marches are going to stop in a UI
    We might even get a holiday for that as part of the settlement
    We won't be getting one for narrowater IMO and I'd feel safe that's where most people outside of core Republicanism are on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I can't believe some of the posts in here with people going on about principals and the sort over a tweet but where were those principals over the last few weeks when confidential documents were being leaked or when crony's were being appointed to the Supreme Court?

Nobotty wrote: »
    The some will be as it is now Francie a tiny minority
    I certainly wouldn't be celebrating it
    I'd rather move on and live in the new dispensation
    The triumphalising is engrained on both sides,its not exclusively Orange
    I dont think orange marches are going to stop in a UI
    We might even get a holiday for that as part of the settlement
    We won't be getting one for narrowater IMO and I'd feel safe that's where most people outside of core Republicanism are on that

And when Arlene objects, as she has to 1916 state commeorations or Kilmichael...what then?

As I say, this conversation will have to be had. Whether you can be bothered or not.

rdwight wrote: »
    The radio interview is emabarassing. Because he has been around so long and is chairman of PAC I assumed he had some gravitas but it really is cringeworthy stuff.

All he had to say was "I don't want to be alarmist but constituents have asked about chinese chicken imports and I have asked the health authorities about this" Instead he goes into full headless chicken mode. Shades of Liadh Ni Riada's car crash interviews

Sinn Fein take every populist and popular cause no matter how nonsensical and run with it. Hence, they are associated with anti-vaxxers, angel readers, anti-flouridation, chinese chicken eaters and other fringe crackpots. When you see yourself as the permanent opposition with no real intent to go into government, that isn't a problem. However, when some mistakenly see you as a possible member of government, some light gets shown into these corners. Of course, at no time are Sinn Fein ever really committed to these causes.

The real tragedy is not with the fringe crackpot conspiracy theorists, but when important causes allow themselves to get sucked into the Sinn Fein orbit - it always ends in disappointment as the LGBTQI movement are finding as the attitude beneath the mask was revealed by Stanley.

So are you saying because something is popular its bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I listened to Pascal's rather hysterical rant on morning Ireland, after he denied hearing an interview with a Cork publican pointing out Revenue being dicks re covid closure grant, whilst admitting he somehow heard "what it says in papers', he moved on to an absurd rant about Stanley's alledged homophopic tweets whilst just falling short on asking for a Tribunal into why Stanley closed his Twitter account FFS.

This is just getting silly, FFG clutching at anything to shift focus onto SF and away from their ineptitude and in FF"s case shocking but apt polling. Uncle Pascal's mask certainly slipped off this morning, none of the patronising "our people BS" which in one sense was refreshing.

Tiresome nonsense, the lot of

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I listened to Pascal's rather hysterical rant on morning Ireland, after he denied hearing an interview with a Cork publican pointing out Revenue being dicks re covid closure grant, whilst admitting he somehow heard "what it says in papers', he moved on to an absurd rant about Stanley's alledged homophopic tweets whilst just falling short on asking for a Tribunal into why Stanley closed his Twitter account FFS.

This is just getting silly, FFG clutching at anything to shift focus onto SF and away from their ineptitude and in FF"s case shocking but apt polling. Uncle Pascal's mask certainly slipped off this morning, none of the patronising "our people BS" which in one sense was refreshing.

Tiresome nonsense, the lot of

And that is all this is, a distraction, anything to take the focus off them and put it somewhere else and then they get the paid folks to go sites like boards and push this narrative.

Floppybits wrote: »
    So are you saying because something is popular its bad?

Clearly, if you read my post, I didn't say that.

I pointed that because they hoover them all up, without discrimination, they end up with the crackpots worried about Chinese chicken as well as the angel readers and anti-vaxxers as well as the good and worthy causes.

I express my sympathy for the worthwhile causes who get sucked in and fooled by Sinn Fein support.

This may be over, and the deletion of his social media accounts and going underground may save him, you wonder what it means for the credibility of the PAC when its chairman believes that Chinese chicken could give you Covid.

The other possibility is that there was a lot more on his social media and one of the Sunday papers may go over it in detail. I don't buy this, as surely nobody could be that stupid.

I pointed that because they hoover them all up, without discrimination, they end up with the crackpots worried about Chinese chicken as well as the angel readers and anti-vaxxers as well as the good and worthy causes.

I express my sympathy for the worthwhile causes who get sucked in and fooled by Sinn Fein support.

Maybe they get sucked in by SF is because SF may give them the attention that is needed where as the government parties usually tell them to get lost. It is a simple as that. I am sure for most good proposals that are made SF would not be their first port of call. FG were not shy of hoovering up popular causes when they were in opposition back in the early 2000's

Sadly for Leo, SF are on the right side of history with the worthwhile cause of SSM and Gay rights.

Who knew Chinese Chicken was a 'cause'. :):)

Floppybits wrote: »
    Maybe they get sucked in by SF is because SF may give them the attention that is needed where as the government parties usually tell them to get lost. It is a simple as that. I am sure for most good proposals that are made SF would not be their first port of call. FG were not shy of hoovering up popular causes when they were in opposition back in the early 2000's

I would hope that the government parties did tell the anti-vaxxers, angel-readers, chinese chicken agitators and anti-flouridation lads to all get lost. Oh, and the tinfoil-hat guys worried about microwaves from wind farms, they seem to like Sinn Fein as well.

Who knew Chinese Chicken was a 'cause'. :):)

Yeah, Stanley was particularly idiotic to run with that one, don't you agree?

This may be over, and the deletion of his social media accounts and going underground may save him, you wonder what it means for the credibility of the PAC when its chairman believes that Chinese chicken could give you Covid.

The other possibility is that there was a lot more on his social media and one of the Sunday papers may go over it in detail. I don't buy this, as surely nobody could be that stupid.

You don't attach any importance to PAC anyway...some faux concern for it now when it's handy?

blanch152 wrote:
    McGuinness is a busted flush at this stage, he has made waves many times, but never stepped on to the field of play. A hurler from the ditch, able to criticise but not do.

The role of PAC chair suits that type of personality, in fact the whole committee suits the perennial whinger.

Yeah, Stanley was particularly idiotic to run with that one, don't you agree?

Most of the world was 'running with it' at the time...but let's ignore that. Scalp required.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wrries+about+chinese+food+and+Corona+virus&oq=Wrries+about+chinese+food+and+Corona+virus&aqs=chrome..69i57.22028j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I would hope that the government parties did tell the anti-vaxxers, angel-readers, chinese chicken agitators and anti-flouridation lads to all get lost. Oh, and the tinfoil-hat guys worried about microwaves from wind farms, they seem to like Sinn Fein as well.

That is fine if they tell them all to get lost I would agree with that but the thing is that the government tell everyone to get lost unless it is going to put a few quid in their pocket whether it is good or bad. I bet if the banks come to them they don't tell them to get lost.

• Advertisement

You don't attach any importance to PAC anyway...some faux concern for it now when it's handy?

No, being nice I would say that I don't think it has covered itself in glory during the McGuinness days. It had seemed to have started off on a better footing in this Dail, but in particular with his Chinese chicken gaffe, Stanley has dented its credibility. Continuing in those circumstances is questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

Correct, it wasn't. Varadkar is gay blanch, it's time you got over that. Mentioning somebody who happens to be gay in the same comment as you reference the campaign for gay rights is not homophobic. It is a sign of your uptightness about somebody being gay though.

Not sure I see a reference to the gay rights campaign in the tweet. What I do see is a reference to a prominent gay politician and to sexual activity. Not quite the same thing.

What Stanley needs is other examples of one Oireachtas member referencing the sexual life of another member. Can you help him out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

No, being nice I would say that I don't think it has covered itself in glory during the McGuinness days. It had seemed to have started off on a better footing in this Dail, but in particular with his Chinese chicken gaffe, Stanley has dented its credibility. Continuing in those circumstances is questionable.

Blanch you never came back to me on another thread about Seamus Woulfe where he talked over treatment over him breaking covid rules ast “some way it’s like a Ku Klux Klan". You defended him to the hilt.

Isn't that touchingly convenient. :)

Most of the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists were running with it. The reason the HSE had to step in was because irresponsible Stanleyesque politicians were running with the conspiracy theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I'm no fan of SF but his comments on chinese chicken were no more or less hyperbolic fear inducing nonsense than the likes of Prof Sam McConkey, Holohan and the rest have subjected us to since early February 4 plus times per week.

In terms of public Covid brain farts it doesn't rank in the same league as Simon Harris (Covid the 19th, no pubs until theres a vaccine)- a buffoon of such magnitude they had to invent a department for him so he could be shuffled away from making a fool of himself as health minister every other day.

Most of the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists were running with it. The reason the HSE had to step in was because irresponsible Stanleyesque politicians were running with the conspiracy theory.

We went from the HSE talking of little threat to Ireland from the virus to talk of 150,000 deaths

Voicing concerns many had, in the confusion around the world (as linked to) about chinese food and imports kinda pales into insignificance to the 'official' sources above theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

what credibility?

I'm sure every SF public representative has had their twitter feed trawled for anything "problematic" already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Sounds like Stanley will be gone from his position as chair of the PAC by this time tomorrow, either that or he'll be suspended from Sinn Fein, maybe both?

Those three tweets, specially the last one have done him no favours outside the SF/IRA bubble.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Normal One wrote: »
    what credibility?

I'm sure every SF public representative has had their twitter feed trawled for anything "problematic" already.

The fact that what you say is true is laughable to be honest

They have nothing left to shout at SF. The majority of the Under 40s who prefer SF to all other parties don't care about the past. The future is what we are interested in and FFG have shown us they don't have a clue what they are at apart from jobs for the lads and money for the lads

Advertisement