Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

the apparent homophobe showing his true colours:)
    https://twitter.com/MarkAgitprop/status/1334617214134136833

btw it should be remembered that leo the leak, coveney and numerous other tds were originally against SSM before it became popular , does that make them homophobes I wonder

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Whatever about his questionable statements on Twitter, his spelling alone is a resigning matter. Jesus. My eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

UDAWINNER wrote: »

btw it should be remembered that leo the leak, coveney and numerous other tds were originally against SSM before it became popular , does that make them homophobes I wonder

Interesting tweet. And contrasts sharply with Varadkar's homophobic views back then. He done gay people a massive disservice.

https://twitter.com/TheDukeLuke/status/1333012457321848832?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 67,072 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's really does undermine the faux woke rights brigade that they studiously ignore Varadkars stance on SSM over the years. He managed that sleight of hand very well it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Whatever about his questionable statements on Twitter, his spelling alone is a resigning matter. Jesus. My eyes.

This.

Having considered the matter carefully our public representatives should be able to read and write with at least a rudimentary level of proficiency.

Looks very bad on SF that this man is the cream of their crop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

smurgen wrote: »
    Interesting tweet. And contrasts sharply with Varadkar's homophobic views back then. He done gay people a massive disservice.

https://twitter.com/TheDukeLuke/status/1333012457321848832?s=19

Having views and opinions on serious and complex and contentious and polarising issues is absolutely fine, once decorum and respect is shown..

In other words, there’s a way to do things..

Stanley’s two tweets had not an ounce of decency or decorum..

Both were quite poor..

The lad should be given the heave ho!

There is serious defense desperation on this thread..

Guys, the lad had to close his social media down..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

golfball37 wrote: »
    Belfast has spoken I’d say

The lads in the big houses up the narrow country lanes...

walshb wrote: »
    Having views and opinions on serious and complex and contentious and polarising issues is absolutely fine, once decorum and respect is shown..

Both were quite poor..

He didn't 'have' to do anything. He choose to as people where trawling it looking for tweets that caused no issue when first written but are fodder for the faux woke crusade currently taking place.

They'll get their man is my view.

Politicians are afraid to stand up to this when it happens. I hope Stanley does challenge it and stands on his record of defending LGBT rights when others were ignoring or denying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

SF on the membrane

Eh, this is actually a thread about Sinn Fein.

By the way, welcome to boards.ie.

He didn't 'have' to do anything. He choose to as people where trawling it looking for tweets that caused no issue when first written but are fodder for the faux woke crusade currently taking place.
    T
    They'll get their man is my view.

Politicians are afraid to stand up to this when it happens. I hope Stanley does challenge it and stands on his record of defending LGBT rights when others were ignoring or denying them.

Francie, I have absolutely no doubt that if this was a FG/FF politician you and your crew would be roaring abuse for dismissal..

And also, if it was a shinner in Leo’s leak position or in McEntee position, to and your crew would be defending to the hilt

Your blind obsessive defence does SF no good. It simply paints the support for them to the delusional

You know, it’s ok at times to call out wrongs on a party or organization that you overall support..

• Advertisement

What Stanley needs is other examples of one Oireachtas member referencing the sexual life of another member. Anybody help him out there?

Francie, I have absolutely no doubt that if this was a FG/FF politician you and your crew would be roaring abuse for dismissal..

And also, if it was a shinner in Leo’s leak position or in McEntee position, to and your crew would be defending to the hilt

Your blind obsessive defence does SF no good. It simply paints the support for them to the delusional

You know, it’s ok at times to call out wrongs on a party or organization that you overall support..

Find me a post where I have looked for anyone's dismissal bar Hogan.

I have said his tweet on Kilmichael and Narrow Water was insensitive and therefore it was right to delete it and apologise for the insensitive nature of it. I do think we need to have a conversation as an island on 'how we remember' and the 'cancel' culture around 'only some' remembering/celebrating is wrong, going forward. Sveral n here have had difficulty addressing that here so far.

The trawling of the man's past to find anything at all to try and 'cancel him' (isn't this the woke term for it) is obscene in my book, and I hope he stands up to it, but doubt he will because politics is prone to these crusades of the righteous. As I said to last night, just google and you will find many many instance across parties of members tweeting stuff that they delete.

This.

Having considered the matter carefully our public representatives should be able to read and write with at least a rudimentary level of proficiency.

Looks very bad on SF that this man is the cream of their crop.

The radio interview is emabarassing. Because he has been around so long and is chairman of PAC I assumed he had some gravitas but it really is cringeworthy stuff.

All he had to say was "I don't want to be alarmist but constituents have asked about chinese chicken imports and I have asked the health authorities about this" Instead he goes into full headless chicken mode. Shades of Liadh Ni Riada's car crash interviews

Find me a post where I have looked for anyone's dismissal bar Hogan.

I have said his tweet on Kilmichael and Narrow Water was insensitive and therefore it was right to delete it and apologise for the insensitive nature of it. I do think we need to have a conversation as an island on 'how we remember' and the 'cancel' culture around 'only some' remembering/celebrating is wrong, going forward. Sveral n here have had difficulty addressing that here so far.

The trawling of the man's past to find anything at all to try and 'cancel him' (isn't this the woke term for it) is obscene in my book, and I hope he stands up to it, but doubt he will because politics is prone to these crusades of the righteous. As I said to last night, just google and you will find many many instance across parties of members tweeting stuff that they delete.

The worst that'll happen is he resign as chairman of PAC.

In all fairness, if SF leadership could brazen taking selfies at a tri-local performative funeral during a pandemic I don't Brian has too much to worry about.

rdwight wrote: »
    The worst that'll happen is he resign as chairman of PAC.

In all fairness, if SF leadership could brazen taking selfies at a tri-local performative funeral during a pandemic I don't Brian has too much to worry about.

I'd say he'd be better analysing how 3 parties rounded the wagons around a Tanaiste who confessed to wrongdoing and survived if he wants to cling on. The setting of precedents and all that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

In fairness to Sinn Fein, they have come a long way in short space of time. At least they are only disappearing people on social media these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

In fairness to Sinn Fein, they have come a long way in a short space of time. At they are only disappearing people on social media these days.

Well yes, they have come a long way from disappearing people, but they also need to stop having massive IRA funerals and tweeting about IRA attacks, remember we the Kingsmill debacle, I think that fella had to resign?

In fairness to Sinn Fein, they have come a long way in short space of time. At they are only disappearing people on social media these days.

Those events happened nearly 50 years ago, only 50 to go until the State is celebrating it like they officially celebrate Kilmichael, without a hint of irony or hypocrisy of course. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Both were quite poor..

This is where I differ. One is a tweet the other is a law that effected the lives of gay people. Varadkar voted against it.

smurgen wrote: »
    This is where I differ. One is a tweet the other is a law that effected the lives of gay people. Varadkar voted against it.

Two different issues....

You are missing the point.....

Decorum and respect and decency during public discourse is to be welcomed, not criticized...

• Advertisement

Two different issues....

You are missing the point.....

Decorum and respect and decency during public discourse is to be welcomed, not criticized...

I would not accuse anybody coming out with what you are saying of hypocrisy, if lack of decorum and respect were treated the same across the political divides.

As I keep telling you, just google the amount of tweets across parties that have been deleted, then d a search on ones that haven't been that fail your standards.

Let's not pretend here, this is a persecution in order to get a scalp orchestrated by trawling somebody's past.

Quit with the faux 'higher or certain principles' stuff. We know what this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well yes, they have come a long way from disappearing people, but they also need to stop having massive IRA funerals and tweeting about IRA attacks, remember we the Kingsmill debacle, I think that fella had to resign?

He was welcomed back into the party and reselected as a candidate. They look after their own, as the welcome home party for the McCabe killers showed.

I would not accuse anybody coming out with what you are saying of hypocrisy, if lack of decorum and respect were treated the same across the political divides.

As I keep telling you, just google the amount of tweets across parties that have been deleted, then d a search on ones that haven't been that fail your standards.

Let's not pretend here, this is a persecution in order to get a scalp orchestrated by trawling somebody's past.

Quit with the faux 'higher or certain principles' stuff. We know what this is.

What this is is the only example anybody has so far produced of one Oireachtas member referring to the sexual life of another member. And it just happens to be about one of the few gay politicians.

blanch152 wrote: »
    He was welcomed back into the party and reselected as a candidate. They look after their own, as the welcome home party for the McCabe killers showed.

This guy's suspension was lifted too blanch. They look after their own too,

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/senior-fine-gael-member-faces-suspension-over-abusive-tweets-wstktsc8h

The irony of a man saying in public that he is against homophobic bullying and then making a deliberate reference to the then Taoiseach's sexuality in a Tweet.

The emptiest of words in that speech, demonstrates again how Sinn Fein are a wolf in sheep's clothing, pretending to be all friendly and nice, when the nastiness doesn't lie too far below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Those events happened nearly 50 years ago, only 50 to go until the State is celebrating it like they officially celebrate Kilmichael, without a hint of irony or hypocrisy of course. :):)

Narrowwater or Enniskillen or Warrington will never get a state celebration
    The reason Kilmichael does is because the state can trace its founding back to events like it
    Theres no state yet that can be traced back to narrowwater etc and even when there is a UI,you can be guaranteed that the new State won't be celebrating what a huge unionist tradition regard as atrocities
    Imagine celebrating mountbattens death while William is on the throne
    Let's be realistic

rdwight wrote: »
    What this is is the only example anybody has so far produced of one Oireachtas member referring to the sexual life of another member. And it just happens to be about one of the few gay politicians.

His explanation was that it was a reference to the rights achieved for gay people. Rights he campaigned for while others denied and blocked them including the person the tweet was directed at.

Your reading of it is just convenient hindsight. Not one person, woke or other wise passed any remarks on it when it first appeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

But gay SF members disagree Francie,that's the problem
    The whole deletion of the twitter account shows the discipline needed nowadays when elected

https://twitter.com/eoghanom12/status/1334696489092853760?s=19

Nobotty wrote: »
    Narrowwater or Enniskillen or Warrington will never get a state celebration
    The reason Kilmichael does is because the state can trace its founding back to events like it
    Theres no state yet that can be traced back to narrowwater etc and even when there is a UI,you can be guaranteed that the new State won't be celebrating what a huge unionist tradition regard as atrocities
    Imagine celebrating mountbattens death while William is on the throne
    Let's be realistic

Imagine celebrating the Battle of The Boyne in a UI by the same token Nobotty or the actions of the British Army (ignoring what they did here, as those who wear the poppy decide to do).

Sooner or later the conversation will have to be had about how we remember or celebrate or commemorate. Do a select few get to decide?

• Advertisement

What part of "The RUC and British Army started this conflict, not the IRA" is lost on you? You claim to know about how the Troubles started and yet you continue to deny that the IRA was a reaction to something.

Do you ever consider why retaliation is considered worthy of a red card in soccer and rugby? Because retaliation and reaction like that tend to set off a longer, bigger conflict.

The correct reaction to those events was the reaction of people like John Hume and Seamus Mallon. The wrong reaction was that of the IRA, which only inflicted misery on the people of Northern Ireland, and to a lesser extent, the rest of us, for three decades.

P.S. If you knew your history, you would also know that the British Army only arrived after the conflict had started. Try not to learn history from propaganda films.

Advertisement