Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Some of these posts from this morning defending Stanley look more than a little silly now that he has admitted it was a reference to Varadkar's sexuality.

Yes, Francie, short tweets can be misinterpreted, but in this case, it was the people defending him this morning who were guilty of misinterpretation.

More dishonesty and misrepresentation to peddle your agenda.
    Bowie wrote: »
    You are jumping to conclusions to suit your agenda. I never heard of Stanley before his IRA tweet, which I'd no issue with. On this the poster asked what it was about, I posed a query giving him the benefit of the doubt. It does come across as poor taste and I don't buy his reasoning. I initially thought the bed reference was regarding LV's get up early ****e. Upon hearing his excuse, it wasn't. So I now think he made an insulting and rude remark trying to be sarcastic. He seems like a bit of a gilly.
    You lied yesterday to try use racism and now you are trying to use homophobia again. It's dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,904 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Good to hear Stanley call this out on the radio there.
    This is a political assassination attempt, nothing short of it.
    The FG mob sense blood and they are out to get it at any cost. Should be resisted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

The FG mob sense blood and they are out to get it at any cost. Should be resisted.

FG mob are just trying to calm down the LeoTheLeak scandal. It will never be forgotten.

Next time a FFG member calls canvassing to my door again, il say you wont get my vote but like the student nurses il clap for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

His 2017 Leo tweet.

This guy sounds like an immature and childish clown..

SF need to give him the boot..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

walshb wrote: »
    His 2017 Leo tweet.

This guy sounds like an immature and childish clown..

SF need to give him the boot..

SF will not be doing anything. If he goes Leo and McEntee will have to go as they done far worse

• Advertisement

I think his tweet was a bit insulting. If Varadkar is insulted he should say sorry. It's as much aimed at taking the piss out of him for being a Tory.
    Of course the ones using it to score points simply aren't credible. Applaud Nurses then turn around and vote against paying student nurses for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

SF will not be doing anything. If he goes Leo and McEntee will have to go as they done far worse

Yeh yeh

SF should tell him to go and do one..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

KarlMarks wrote: »
    He should never have been made apologise for the tweet that rightfully celebrated two successful actions against a foreign army on this island.

^That is scary & unforgivable^

The murder of Lord Mountbatten was carried out in this State and the soldiers were murdered in Northern Ireland (UK) as recognised by international law.

The Provisional IRA were a Terrorist organisation, and as such their actions were illegal, so why would you celebrate their actions? specially with such great loss of life, you obviously have strong IRA sympathies, which says it all.

Stanley should have sent out a full apology to the families of the children murdered that day, plus the family of the Nanny? I guess he'd never apologise to the Mountbatten family.

It's like some people on this forum don't understand what murder or terrorism is, very sad altogether, but isn't it great that you can say anything you like in the form of terrorist glorification (and get away with it).

You just sit back there and wallow in the celebration of their murders...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭KarlMarks

I'm a proud Irish Republican. Why would I want to apologise for the actions of the IRA (even though I sided more with the actions of another republican grouping and am a reluctant SF voter)? The British Army are a foreign army on this island and the PIRA carried out a succcesful action that struck right at the heart of the enemy. That is to be celebrated. Its you Free Staters who like to pick and choose which bits of history you celebrate who are the ones having to jump through hoops.

I'm a proud Irish Republican. Why would I want to apologise for the actions of the IRA (even though I sided more with the actions of another republican grouping ...

Ouch, you mean like the INLA :mad:

OMG, they were even worse.

Thank God the planting of bombs and the like is now finished. Politics rules these days thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I can't speak for party members but all kinds of people gave them a vote. Based on the numbers they are the same kind of people vote for every other party.
    What kind of people attack or demean others for not voting how'd they'd like?

I am not demonising anyone, the only reason for voting for any political party is their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

^That is scary & unforgivable^

The murder of Lord Mountbatten was carried out in this State and the soldiers were murdered in Northern Ireland (UK) as recognised by international law.

The Provisional IRA were a Terrorist organisation, and as such their actions were illegal, so why would you celebrate their actions? specially with such great loss of life, you obviously have strong IRA sympathies, which says it all.

Stanley should have sent out a full apology to the families of the children murdered that day, plus the family of the Nanny? I guess he'd never apologise to the Mountbatten family.

It's like some people on this forum don't understand what murder or terrorism is, very sad altogether, but isn't it great that you can say anything you like in the form of terrorist glorification (and get away with it).

You just sit back there and wallow in the celebration of their murders...

He made no reference whatsoever to Mountbatten, and you well know that.

I wonder what the Taoiseach had to say about the time the former FG leader used the N word. Is there a cut-off point for things they pretend to be outraged at?

Normal One wrote: »
    He made no reference whatsoever to Mountbatten, and you well know that.

I didn't ask you, and I know exactly where your sympathies lie already (in the gutter) and I'm sure you don't mourn Lord Mountbatten, or the fallout from his murder. Two Provo IRA attacks that day.

Don't know why you call yourself the Normal One!

KarlMarx can reply if he wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Normal One wrote: »
    I wonder what the Taoiseach had to say about the time the former FG leader used the N word. Is there a cut-off point for things they pretend to be outraged at?

Not when it comes to the shinners, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I think his tweet was a bit insulting. If Varadkar is insulted he should say sorry. It's as much aimed at taking the piss out of him for being a Tory.
    Of course the ones using it to score points simply aren't credible. Applaud Nurses then turn around and vote against paying student nurses for example.

He was taking the piss out of Leos sexuality as well. There's no room for that especially from an elected rep.
    Only a person who looks down on others sexual preferences would do that.
    Just because a party supports gay rights doesn't mean a member does. He's shown his true colours with that tweet.

I didn't ask you, and I know exactly where your sympathies lie already (in the gutter) and I'm sure you don't mourn Lord Mountbatten, or the fallout from his murder. Two Provo IRA attacks that day.

Don't know why you call yourself the Normal One!

KarlMarx can reply if he wishes.

Ha, you think you get to choose who replies here?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/former-sinn-f%C3%A9in-member-apologises-for-anonymous-social-media-abuse-1.4327497

An example and not the only one fair enough he apologised, however, no one ever seems to explain why they attract those sort of supporters in the first place, why do they feel emboldened to make the comments, why do they feel comfortable within SF that is the big question.

mariaalice wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/former-sinn-f%C3%A9in-member-apologises-for-anonymous-social-media-abuse-1.4327497

An example and not the only one fair enough he apologised, however, no one ever seems to explain why they attract those sort of supporters in the first place, why do they feel emboldened to make the comments, why do they feel comfortable within SF that is the big question.

Why indeed. Why do they find comfort in any party. I think this guy is back in FG

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/senior-fine-gael-member-faces-suspension-over-abusive-tweets-wstktsc8h

Why indeed. Why do they find comfort in any party. I think this guy is back in FG

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/senior-fine-gael-member-faces-suspension-over-abusive-tweets-wstktsc8h

It's not about FG Its a question about SF

• Advertisement

All parties have issues with members. The word you are missing (willfully maybe) is 'former' in that shinner article.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

More dishonesty and misrepresentation to peddle your agenda.

I have certain principles. One of them is to call out dog-whistle racism and homophobia whenever I see it. Stanley’s tweet is a very good example of that as are the actions of certain posters around here. I won’t be shouted down by you trying to stop me pointing it out.

You seem to be making distinctions between members of SF and other parties. It's about policies I'd imagine.

I have certain principles. One of them is to call out dog-whistle racism and homophobia whenever I see it. Stanley’s tweet is a very good example of that as are the actions of certain posters around here. I won’t be shouted down by you trying to stop me pointing it out.

But you don't call out anti women comments or fat shaming. I can show you posts where you actually downplayed what they were because they fat shamed a shinner.
    If somebody fat shamed a woman on twitter, what do you think would happen...around here you are ok with it.

Forgive me for doubting your zeal and principles.

But you don't call out anti women comments or fat shaming. I can show you posts where you actually downplayed what they were because they fat shamed a shinner.
    If somebody fat shamed a woman on twitter, what do you think would happen...around here you are ok with it.

Forgive me for doubting your zeal and principles.

Dig them out and prove it.

Dig them out and prove it.

Prove what? That you ignore fat shaming of a specific female politician? The 'principled caller outer' should be able to link us to a post of his on the many SF threads where it routinely happens showing him calling it out in a principled way.

Prove what? That you ignore fat shaming of a specific female politician? The 'principled caller outer' should be able to link us to a post of his on the many SF threads where it routinely happens showing him calling it out in a principled way.

So your problem is that for some reason somewhere I didn’t do something. It is always the same with you, attacking posters for what they didn’t say not for what they said. Or for what they didn’t claim rather than what they claimed.

You have made a fool of yourself today, spending hours denying there was any reference to Varadkar in the tweet before being completely blown away by Stanley’s own admission of same.

Do you know what? I don’t think I have called out every single example of discrimination against travellers either, but I never claimed I did.

So your problem is that for some reason somewhere I didn’t do something. It is always the same with you, attacking posters for what they didn’t say not for what they said. Or for what they didn’t claim rather than what they claimed.

Sorry blanch I didn't see where you used the words 'certain principles'.

Certain principles if it's a shinner in the frame. Everyone else do the same kind of stuff gets ignored.

Have you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

I'm a proud Irish Republican. Why would I want to apologise for the actions of the IRA (even though I sided more with the actions of another republican grouping and am a reluctant SF voter)? The British Army are a foreign army on this island and the PIRA carried out a succcesful action that struck right at the heart of the enemy. That is to be celebrated. Its you Free Staters who like to pick and choose which bits of history you celebrate who are the ones having to jump through hoops.

Curious as to what you define as successful. The IRA failed in the ultimate objective which was to remove British governance from the island.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you do. People lying to use the subjects of racism and homophobia to further an agenda disrespects and belittles genuine critics.

Advertisement