Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Leinster Championship is dead.

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

gaffer91 wrote: »
    I agree that without a split it will be a disaster.

It helps every county.

It doesn’t really. It helps kildare Kerry Mayo meath etc in the main.

Splitting Dublin in four is a non runner as you’d need a stadium in all four so you’d need to build 3 stadiums.

If you split Dublin in 2 you’ll need to build a stadium in the south. Maybe the south can play in croker for a few years but long term a commitment will have to be made to build a stadium on the south side.

If you think the south side can just play on the north side then you’re just not serious about the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

jmayo wrote: »
    Ariel knows a man that knows a man. ;)

No. I know members in Naas GAA. The poster you are quoting confirmed as much a while back. But you keep liking each other’s posts and having a good old moan on an Internet chat forum. Better than developing a plan to to solve your perceived issues.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Dublin don’t have professional players but they do have a professional county board which is something other counties do not have.

All counties should have the same.

I won’t disagree with you. But how will it be funded? I am all for game’s development at juvenile level as per what was done in Dublin. are you suggesting that central council fund county boards to employ professionals?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

ArielAtom wrote: »
    It’s comical the professional angle you spin. The players on the Dublin panel are all either in education, employment or self employed. We lost arguably the best half back because of his commitment to work. But you trot out the professional angle if it makes you feel better.

Your last bit is comedy gold. Three choices😂

Usual from you. When you're losing the argument you misrepresent what was said to avoid discussing the post. Its your modus operandi in this thread.
    I already said the professionalism was in the organisation around the team, not the players. No other county comes even close. And yes, those are the choices as much as you try to laugh it off. That or the death of the game which so many so called Dublin fans are happy to see happen rather than lose the completely unfair advantages the funding affords them.

threeball wrote: »
    Usual from you. When you're losing the argument you misrepresent what was said to avoid discussing the post. Its your modus operandi in this thread.
    I already said the professionalism was in the organisation around the team, not the players. No other county comes even close. And yes, those are the choices as much as you try to laugh it off. That or the death of the game which so many so called Dublin fans are happy to see happen rather than lose the completely unfair advantages the funding affords them.

Apologies if I misunderstood you. As normal from yourself play the man and not the ball. No one is losing any argument. I have advocated change but the usual suspects just go back over this thread. I am against professionalism. The DCB model is just as any business model. Good management of operations enabling coaches to do their job.

Would other counties take advice or do you think it best just to give them appropriate funding and let them do their own thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I won’t disagree with you. But how will it be funded? I am all for game’s development at juvenile level as per what was done in Dublin. are you suggesting that central council fund county boards to employ professionals?

Who funds Dublin to employ professionals?

Who funds deals like this....

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/6104461/dublin-gaa-centre-of-excellence-buying-land-hollystown-golf/amp/

Who funds Dublin to employ professionals?

You tell me, you seem to have all the answers.

You tell me, you seem to have all the answers.

That’s an odd reply. I made a point re other counties requiring the same professional background setup as Dublin. You asked a query about central council funding professional staff for county boards. I asked “well who pays for Dublin’s setup” and that’s your reply....

Wow.

Your debating skills are as good as Pat Gilroy’s.

That’s an odd reply. I made a point. You asked a query about central council funding professional staff for county boards. I asked “well who pays for Dublin’s setup” and that’s your reply....

Wow.

Wow right back. My assumption is the county boards pay their own staff. But you must know differently. It’s great to see so many counties so concerned about the Leinster Championship.

Self funded I believe. Land is expensive in the capital and is at a premium. It’s some achievement to have success without a COE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

They showed the population breakdown of the 4 Dublin local authority areas on the Sunday game last night. Out of interest, what would the split be like club wise? E.g. would there be a good balance of clubs from each area represented in the current Dublin panel?

Self funded I believe. Land is expensive in the capital and is at a premium. It’s some achievement to have success without a COE.

Self funded!? I’m sure every county could “self fund” a lot more if they got the funding Dublin did in the past and continues to get.

Did you read the article? That’s a second centre of excellence. Good to see Dublin have two when most counties don’t have one.
    Wow right back. My assumption is the county boards pay their own staff. But you must know differently. It’s great to see so many counties so concerned about the Leinster Championship.

I’ve attended plenty of Leinster championship games over the years. I remember going to sell out games between Meath and Dublin at Croke Park in 2007. Doubt we’ll ever see that again unfortunately. Great day out and I would imagine there are Dublin supporters would love to see those competitive games between the two again rather than 21 point drubbings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

This year was probably the best year ever for all the county managers . With coronavirus no lads were heading off traveling, over to oz , playing ball in Boston etc. Even locally no stags , weddings, festivals etc.

There was literally nothing for young lads to do so might as well give the football another crack. Once travel is back I reckon a lot will head off in leinster instead of hanging around for a 20+ points beating.

Self funded!? I’m sure every county could “self fund” a lot more if they got the funding Dublin did in the past and continues to get.

Did you read the article? That’s a second centre of excellence. Good to see Dublin have two when most counties don’t have one.
    Dublin have none. They have purchased the land. Just in case you missed it the funding was games development not for operational or capital projects.

Dublin have none. They have purchased the land. Just in case you missed it the funding was games development it operational or for capital projects.

Yes but you don’t seem to understand that, because Dublin get all that games development funding, it allows them to use all their other funds as they wish.

Whereas other counties get lower funding and have to use their own funding on items like games development.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix the perceived issue or are going to continue to discuss Dublin? The thread title is very misleading.

Dublin have none. They have purchased the land. Just in case you missed it the funding was games development not for operational or capital projects.

Ahem....

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-20381256.html%3ftype=amp

Set to open on April 2, a significant part of the GAA’s 30-acre national games and development centre on the Abbotstown site is set to become a de facto centre of excellence for the county.

Dublin’s footballers and hurlers currently train on DCU’s pitches in St Clare’s, Glasnevin but the indications are they will move their operations to the Blanchardstown venue where there will be four sand-based pitches and a 3G pitch, all floodlit. One of the fields will have the exact dimensions of the Croke Park playing surface.

The Dublin County Board are expected to use the €2m promised to them by the GAA for the scrapped development of a green site in Rathcoole to go towards the rental fees in becoming tenants-in-chief there.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix the perceived issue or are going to continue to discuss Dublin? The thread title is very misleading.

I already said.

1. Start by giving the other counties the same professional organisational structure as Dublin.

Other than that....

2. Pool all sponsorship money and give every county the same amount of funding per registered player.
    3. No Dublin League games in Croke Park. Dublin should only play the Leinster Final and AI semi final and final in Croke Park each year.

Ahem....

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-20381256.html%3ftype=amp

Set to open on April 2, a significant part of the GAA’s 30-acre national games and development centre on the Abbotstown site is set to become a de facto centre of excellence for the county.

Dublin’s footballers and hurlers currently train on DCU’s pitches in St Clare’s, Glasnevin but the indications are they will move their operations to the Blanchardstown venue where there will be four sand-based pitches and a 3G pitch, all floodlit. One of the fields will have the exact dimensions of the Croke Park playing surface.

Google can sometimes be wrong you know. They train predominantly on club pitches around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I already said.

1. Start by giving the other counties the same professional organisational structure as Dublin.

Other than that....

2. Pool all sponsorship money and give every county the same amount of funding per registered player.
    3. No Dublin League games in Croke Park. Dublin should only play the Leinster Final and AI semi final and final in Croke Park each year.

Capacity for Parnell Park approx 13000.
    No room for anyone else if you go down that route.

• Advertisement

I already said.

Other than that....

Excellent. Some ideas. I’m all for 1 and 3. Great shouts, it sure how 1 will be achieved but plans can be made. Two I’m of sure how that would work, if you have a commercial manager seeking sponsorship for a central fund, who pays for him/her. Will they go on a central contract and be paid for from central council or still be on the books of their county board?

Ahem....

Google can sometimes be wrong you know. They train predominantly on club pitches around Dublin.

Is the bulk of their training not done in DCU on the pitches there? I’ve never heard of them using too many club pitches.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Games sell out all the time. People miss out. **** happens. As things stand, I’m sure Dublin could afford their own stadium with a decent capacity instead of one of those two multi million centres of excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Games sell out all the time. People miss out. **** happens. As things stand, I’m sure Dublin could afford their own stadium with a decent capacity instead of one of those two multi million centres of excellence.

GAA would miss out also on gate receipts. Mayo bring great support, Galway too, don't forget those double headers also with LGFA and the hurling.
    Would be a retrograde move IMO for the GAA in an attempt to handicap Dublin.

Fann Linn wrote: »

No a problem. Season ticket holders and Parnell pass owners only then. I’d lose
    out as I get my tickets through the club. But it would be some advantage having a Dublin only crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Note

This thread has morphed into a discussion of the Dublin GAA advantage question so I am going to close it and redirect all posters to the original thread for discussion of same.

The Dominance of Dublin GAA

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058005558&page=104

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement