Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Leinster Championship is dead.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭largepants

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing to do with difference of opinion. If you read through the thread you will see I have agreed with the need for change. I am a forward looking person. The majority of arguments here focus on what has occurred and not on a real and lasting solution. But you keep throwing out the snide personal digs. It says more about you than me.

Ah right. So you take umbrage with people labelling you Gemma ODoherty esque but you have no problem labelling people brexiteers.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

largepants wrote: »
    Ah right. So you take umbrage with people labelling you Gemma ODoherty esque but you have no problem labelling people brexiteers.

��

Mine was a generalisation reflecting a certain mindset on here. Yours was personal. Very different. At no stage did I say posters were not members. I merely questioned were they. Anyway that is way off topic. I’d be really interested in what you think may be a solution to the perceived issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Could you see young Quinns house from where you live? Or Declan Darcys? Or Ryan O Dwyers? Etc etc etc

I have already explained how imports like Ryan O'Dwyer worked for Dublin hurling to an extent until they faded in 2013. Which is why I believe Kildare and Meath and other weaker Leinster counties need to do the same. It is all there in this thread I have discussed it in detail.

Plus, Declan Darcy was the very example I used as many people's ignorance of the parentage rule. The is why he was playing for Leitrim under the rule which is designed to help weaker counties. I have said it should be exploited more! You are agreeing with me as Darcy helped Leitrim to their first Connacht title in 1994 and was integral to it. A man born and bred in Dublin with Leitrim links.

You may wear large pants, but it seems you are all mouth and no trousers educate yourself. They may be large pants but they must be short ones!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/true-blue-brings-it-all-back-home-1.160639

Similar with many other Dubs like Nesty Smith who played with Cavan (he will be torn today

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-dont-regret-it-how-a-true-blue-left-dublin-to-play-for-cavan-39820566.html

Clare also used the 'parentage rule'

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-20142430.html

A real GAA person would be well aware of the parentage rule. Or maybe they are just not educated enough on the rules and mechanisms of the GAA?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Plus I hope my Leinster brethren are getting behind the Dubs today v Cavan. As they fly the flag for Leinster.

I am sure the whole of Ulster Gaeis are behind Cavan all the way!

I have already explained how imports like Ryan O'Dwyer worked for Dublin hurling to an extent until they faded in 2013. Which is why I believe Kildare and Meath and other weaker Leinster counties need to do the same. It is all there in this thread I have discussed it in detail.

Plus, Declan Darcy was the very example I used as many people's ignorance of the parentage rule. The is why he was playing for Leitrim under the rule which is designed to help weaker counties. I have said it should be exploited more! You are agreeing with me as Darcy helped Leitrim to their first Connacht title in 1994 and was integral to it. A man born and bred in Dublin with Leitrim links.

You may wear large pants, but it seems you are all mouth and no trousers educate yourself. They may be large pants but they must be short ones!

Similar with many other Dubs like Nesty Smith who played with Cavan (he will be torn today

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-dont-regret-it-how-a-true-blue-left-dublin-to-play-for-cavan-39820566.html

A real GAA person would be well aware of the parentage rule. Or maybe they are just not educated enough on the rules and mechanisms of the GAA?

Im all mouth? Listen to yourself. Every post of yours is as long as War and Peace and each one betters the previous one in terms of waffling. Not to mention your condescending tone. No doubt you've a D4 accent with marbles in your mouth.

You've embarrassed yourself enough with some of your posts on here over the past week and then you have the audacity to question others how educated they are on Gaa matters.

The Gaa's very own Ross O Carroll Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Well i know several Monaghan chaps who are shouting for Dublin! One of those local rivalries that rarely extends to wishing good things for your neighbour. Bit like north county Dubs and south county Meath!

Mine was a generalisation reflecting a certain mindset on here. Yours was personal. Very different. At no stage did I say posters were not members. I merely questioned were they. Anyway that is way off topic. I’d be really interested in what you think may be a solution to the perceived issue.

First of all its not a perceived issue. The results should tell you that.

I dont have a solution because I dont believe there is one. The horse has bolted.

When the East Leinster Strategy eventually comes to fruition

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/15m-gaa-funding-boost-for-east-leinster-project-34934104.html

(I think I am the only one who seems aware of it or as mentioned on this thread as far as I know. Apologies if it already was)

(2016 article)

"€1.5m for an initial three years for coaching and games development projects in the main commuter counties outside Dublin."

But what exactly are Meath and Kildare going to spend the money on to improve themselves.
    I believe you cannot make 'footballers' the head up types they are born with a gift.

I was at the 2004 AI club as a neutral watching Caltra v An Gaeltacht. When the teams came out I started laughing. Most Caltra lads were dwarfed by the Kerryman. Full of O'Sés et al.

Yet who was man of the match a slight a diminutive Mikey Meehan!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30138686.html#:~:text=Caltra%20have%20won%20their%20first,An%20Ghaeltacht%20at%20Croke%20Park.

Caltra won by a point.

Plus I have looked up the number of strength and conditioning coaches and sports scientists/psychologists Meath have/had.

Paul Colgan (Sport Scientist/ Sport and Exercise Physiologist) was an Intern with Meath GAA (2016-2017)

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/paul-colgan-ba927072

Paul Clarke (Head of Physical Performance - Meath GAA Academy 2012-2016)

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/paulclarkeperform

Niall Ronan former Rugby international who is Meath GAA Head of strength and conditioning. (Nov 2020)

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1107/1176643-meath-coach-ronan-urges-ad-hoc-gaa-to-look-at-rugby/

(From article)

Niall Ronan:

"Club football needs an education overhaul. What equipment to buy, what should you invest in, having designated people within a club to be S&C coaches from U16s up to seniors. If the GAA were implementing that, it would massively improve the professionalism of the game.

"Unfortunately, you have a mixture of coaches that might not have the knowledge. Some clubs don’t know what to do. Look at clubs in Donegal, Tyrone, Dublin. They have full-time S&C coaches. They are training really professionally at a high level."

"My level one coaching for the GAA. I just did one day of coaching at a course and that is me qualified. Rock up and get it. Whereas when I got my coaching badges with the IRFU, I was interviewed and assessed numerous times. In terms of coaching education, there is no accountability.

On the S&C side of things, you have people doing crazy things. If they had some sort of proper pathway, it would stop all these injuries. The level would improve, and the game would go in the right direction. It is ad hoc in GAA. With everything. Fixtures are ad hoc. It is all over the place.

Alongside Andy McEntee, Ronan has begun streamlining the county’s production line. They have developed a pathway from U15s to senior and focused on upskilling club coaches. The goal is to have everything from the ground up aligned. Every player’s fitness test, strength test and injury profile recorded and monitored. Data that can be tracked and utilised to develop top talent.

A systematic approach enacted from the top down. The way it should be."

The IRFU are on the GAA’s doorstep. I would be getting advice from them, a professional organisation. How do we do this? How should we structure and organise our season?"

--
    --
    Step by step, slowly.

It seems even Meath have taken the steps to move on beyond telling lads to drink less alcohol., eat less Tayto and have a few runs up the hill in Tara.

Also Niall Moyna of DCU has called the championship outmoded and outdated.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/out-dated-outmoded-and-turning-people-off-niall-moyna-on-championship-1.4154409

Like me (and many others) he agrees that the NFL is a much fairer and more enjoyable competition.
    Niall Moyna is an expert in his field and GAA man. maybe people on this thread will take note of what he has to say about the structure of the GAA championship.

(From the article Nov 2020)

Niall Moyna:

“Why? Because you’re competing against teams of similar ability. The championship is totally out-dated, outmoded, and so is the provincial championship. And it’s turning people off. They’re coming in their thousands to watch national league games, because of the quality.

But if you look at the championship, you’re very lucky to get four good games the whole championship. Every game at the weekend was a competitive game. I’d go to a Division Four game in the league, because you’re going to see a competitive game. It’s not the same standard as Division One, but it’s competitive, and that’s what people want to see. Not some team having to put 15 men behind the ball because they’re being totally out-classed by a much superior team. And that’s the issue that has to be seriously addressed.”

--
    --

Also it is not lost on me that Niall Moyna was brought by Pat Gilroy when Dublin moving their training to DCU 2008

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/205659-205659

From article 2020 -

Ray Boyne: (Performance Analyst with Dublin football from 2003-2017)

"When Pat came in, he basically took us from where we were training in the old Artane school in St. David's. He lifted us up and brought the whole team up to DCU. With the help of Niall Moyna who's Professor in Sports Science in DCU, he began to really, really professionalise the set-up. He actually built a facility within DCU; dressing rooms, an area for video review, an area for players to eat and change. To this day, that's there. Which is a great credit to him. It opened the players up to a completely different level of support. Niall, through his involvement within DCU, was bringing in some of the greatest sport scientists, a lot of international athletes who were doing theses and working within DCU were coming to the training sessions and working on sprinting techniques, running techniques."

--
    --

It seems Meath are only copping on and catching up now? With Niall Ronan et al? And judging by Ronan's comments Meath have a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,663 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

dunnerc wrote:
    Nope Dublin have won 5 All Ireland titles in a row and are odds on to make it 6
    It's been so long since anybody else won, or will win, one I got confused.

Im all mouth? Listen to yourself. Every post of yours is as long as War and Peace and each one betters the previous one in terms of waffling. Not to mention your condescending tone. No doubt you've a D4 accent with marbles in your mouth.

You've embarrassed yourself enough with some of your posts on here over the past week and then you have the audacity to question others how educated they are on Gaa matters.

Now you have moved on to attack the poster rather than reading the post. But I won't engage in that. (You are incorrect by the way)

However, unlike you I hold my hands up when I am wrong. As I did on saying Menton and Newman would get into the top 6 teams (barring Dublin) in the country. I was told no. Only Keogan would be top of the list. By a Kerry man and Meath poster. And I found a article verifying how highly Keogan is rated by Meath people.

If you think my 'posts are war and peace' maybe you should just stick to the newspaper articles linked. Or do you not wish to discuss the meat of the issue and dig dip into it?

Going on about Declan Darcy as if it is a comeback when it backs up one of my points (the parentage rule) only makes you look silly.

Another fella would say. Sorry I got that wrong, interesting point I will look into it. But, not you.

Why not? A chip on your shoulder? Lack of education? Who knows? Who cares?

If I sound condescending to you, it is only because of your inferiority complex, I suspect. You have already assumed I am from D4 and have marbles in my mouth which speaks volumes in itself.

• Advertisement

Enquiring wrote: »
    Let's look at this year's championship as an example. Tipperary winning the Munster title and Cavan winning the Ulster title. restructuring of finances where every county is given a fair allocation and a fair opportunity to compete. It will be a tough process and we'll have some bumps along the way but it's one that we must push for. It's the only way forward and it's exhillerating.

Poor examples

Covid 19 skewed this years championship - Mark Keane back from Oz with Cork scores winning goal in SF v Kerry. Riordan back from Oz for Tipp played pivotal role v cork

Not to mention the disruption of Donegal's prep and the lack of the backdoor system. And how Dublin got a much needed break from intercounty.

You seem to think finances, is the sole issue here.

With a mindset of

“Don’t blame the culchies, they didn’t fail.

It's not their fault, they were born outside the pale”

It is not just one issue you need to look at, it is many other factors.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115511521&postcount=750

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Not sure what you’re waffling on about. It’s just seems to be another bad idea of which I notice you put forward many but this time with added waffle.

Just strange to cite Colm O’Rourke’s opinions in this conversation when he wants Dublins split into three.
    I said similar to them as well. It would be a bit like splitting the Soviet Union in the soccer. It was the beginning of the end for Ireland loads of awkward countries started appearing.

Yugoslavia the same lots of class players and teams, appeared when they split.

Which is why I think the easiest and wisest choice for Kildare or Meath would be to pursue xyz number of Dublin players. Ones that cannot get in the Dublin panel. Or elsewhere. Parentage rule is there to be used.

It will strengthen them. Plus with one Dublin team no matter how strong they are can only field 15 at any one time. And six subs.

Yet, the Leinster counties might only be creating another obstacle against any limited success they could have.

If Dublin spilt, what I could see happening is one Dublin county becomes a feeder county, for the 'main' Dublin team.

And deals would be made between the two 'Dublin' counties on transfers between their clubs. There is no 'parish rule' in Dublin so it could be easy.

But, I seem to be the only one to think of these type of practicalities, as well as yourself.

If people think Seanie 'I can see your house from here' Johnston was bad between Cavan and Kildare. The best hurler in Kildare I believe? Wait until the Dublin A and Dublin B teams have a free run. No parish rule, lovely stuff.

It is obvious the two Dublin teams will work closely together, as they will not be 'rivals'. Only seeing themselves as Dubs.

You, are spot on. It will be gas the more I think of it.

It is a lot like Brexit started off with keeping the foreigners out. Now they realise they might not be able to get food in.

Splitting Dublin is another example not understanding the full complexity of a problem. Only thinking of it in narrow terms.

It is the law of unintended consequences in action
    It’s a pointless debate on here. It’s like trying to debate with Brexiters. I’ve found the ignore button is a superb help. There is no logic from the majority and it’s descends into what’s akin to trying to get a reaction. Debating it is just giving them oxygen.
    Yea thats very mature. Someone doesnt agree with your point so you stick them on ignore.

How very Gemma O Doherty of you.
    Absolutely nothing to do with difference of opinion. If you read through the thread you will see I have agreed with the need for change. I am a forward looking person. The majority of arguments here focus on what has occurred and not on a real and lasting solution. But you keep throwing out the snide personal digs. It says more about you than me.

��

Now you have moved on to attack the poster rather than reading the post. But I won't engage in that. (You are incorrect by the way)

However, unlike you I hold my hands up when I am wrong as I did on saying Menton and Newman would get into the top 6 teams (barring Dublin) in the country. I was told no only Keogan would be top of the list. By a Kerry man and Meath poster.

If you think my 'posts are war and peace' maybe you should just stick to the newspaper articles linked. Or do you not wish to discuss the meat of the issue and dig dip into it?

Going on about Declan Darcy as if it is a comeback when it backs up one of my points (the parentage rule) only makes you look silly.

Another fella would say. Sorry I got that wrong, interesting point I will look into it. But, not you.

Why not? A chip on your shoulder? Education or lack of? Who knows? Who cares?

If I sound condescending to you, it is only because of your inferiority complex I suspect. You have already assumed I am from D4 and have marbles in my mouth which speaks volumes in itself.

Mod Note

Can we please keep the discourse on this vexed subject civil with no personal attacks.

The comparisons with Brexit ( Brexiteers ) are off limits.

Please simply report posts if necessary rather than engaging in a tit for tat exchange.

It’s a pointless debate on here. It’s like trying to debate with Brexiters. I’ve found the ignore button is a superb help. There is no logic from the majority and it’s descends into what’s akin to trying to get a reaction. Debating it is just giving them oxygen.

Some people seem to be looking for an apparent simple solution, to a complex problem. But in reality it is the solution is not simple it is a numbers of issues. Which need to be solved one by one.

But, I would not put them on the ignore button. Because (most) seem like well meaning people with no badness in them. All you can do is keep showing them the problems with the standard of Leinster v the top 7 in the country barring Dublin. And how the championship provincial structure is not fit for purpose lopsided and antiquated. Across the country not just Leinster.

And, how I prefer the league and so on - my favourite GAA competition - equal standards competitive football - which is what this thread is about really. Someone might even say something that would make me think great idea. Never thought of that one. Fair play.

I even said, I have no problem with Dublin splitting and counties amalgamating. If it would help the GAA going forward.

In the long run if Dublin were spilt it would actually make Dublin stronger to have a feeder county (which is what Dublin B would become). Since lots of Dublin lads are not getting the chance of intercounty and Leinster counties seem slow to avail of the parentage rule.

The question is who would be willing to finance the spilt of Dublin because two 25k/30k stadiums would have to built. As it is well known many resent Dublin playing in CP. So letting it be used as an expensive white elephant in just the AI SF's and Final would become the norm.

I enjoy delving into the nitty gritty as is obvious from my posts. Some appear to resent it (especially when I make valid points). And some then go in for the attack, if they see the slightest error.

Only for this thread it would not have opened my eyes to the disparity in standard of league teams in Leinster. And how Munster football a 'hurling province' with around the same levels of football league teams, is on the verge of becoming better than Leinster overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's been so long since anybody else won, or will win, one I got confused.
    Sure you did !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Dublin are 1/50 to win against the Ulster champions in the All Ireland semi finals.

If you can't see a problem with that then there's no point arguing with you.

People have been saying there's a problem for years but the deniers just dismissed it, called them begrudgers and came up with excuse after excuse.

The Leinster Championship is dead and the All Ireland is more or less a foregone conclusion each year now bar the possibility of one or two teams playing the game of their lives against Dublin.

This is the result of people sticking their heads in the sand about this issue. And even if funding was to be distributed equally tomorrow we wouldn't see the results of such a financial parity until the next decade.

Looking forward to the thread "The All Ireland Football Championship is dead" in the not so distant future.

Looking forward to the thread "The All Ireland Football Championship is dead" in the not so distant future.

Looking forward to it myself! Div 2/3/4 teams in provinces with div 1 is not the way forward. Meath and Kildare div 1 no hopers at best.
    Cavan only in AI SF because of covid.

I hope Dublin, Kerry, Donegal, Mayo help to confine the antiquated provincial system to history in the next 10 years.

Hopefully, it will lead to an expansion of the league which is much fairer system. Teams of fairly equal standard competitive games etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

First of all its not a perceived issue. The results should tell you that.

I dont have a solution because I dont believe there is one. The horse has bolted.

So you don’t have a solution. I’ll just leave it at that then. If all you want to do is give out.

Scrap provincials make league home and away -

All Ireland A

Have a top 7 teams auto qualify based on league div 1 (AI QF)

Last div 1 and top div 2 play off to make AI QF

AI QF open draw knockout when have 8 teams - keeps it interesting varied teams

--
    --

All Ireland C

div 3 same similar system as above.

But have a top 7 teams auto qualify based on league div 3 plus play off winners (AI QF)

--
    --

All Ireland B

div 2 same similar system as above.

But have a top 7 teams auto qualify based on league div 3 plus play off winners (AI QF)

--
    --

All Ireland D

Div 4 7 auto qualify and play off losers

--
    --

Too radical? Reasons top 7 teams in country are a bit ahead of no 8.

So you don’t have a solution. I’ll just leave it at that then. If all you want to do is give out.

No I dont have a solution because I happen to think its too late to do anythibg about it. Do you expect me to make one up just because you want me to? Honestly you might get your way withe Croke Park but that doesnt mean we all have to pander to your every need.

Its my opinion. Obviously you dont have to agree with it but no point in sulking because I dont have a solution.

I used to love intercounty Gaelic football but it has been destroyed. Obviously you dont think so because you are winning. Enjoy it.

No I dont have a solution because I happen to think its too late to do anythibg about it. Do you expect me to make one up just because you want me to? Honestly you might get your way withe Croke Park but that doesnt mean we all have to pander to your every need.

Its my opinion. Obviously you dont have to agree with it but no point in sulking because I dont have a solution.

See above, plenty of solutions - obvious ones in my opinion. It sounds like sulking to me.

It is the structure of the GAA championship that has been destroyed.
        Which I am delighted with - should have been dumped when the backdoor system was brought in.

Standard of top 7 teams in div1 was never higher in my lifetime.

Largely thanks to Kerry>Tyrone>Donegal>Dublin Each progressed the game of Gaelic football.

• Advertisement

See above, plenty of solutions - obvious ones in my opinion. It sounds like sulking to me.

It is the structure of the GAA championship that has been destroyed.
        Which I am delighted with - should have been dumped when the backdoor system was brought in.

Standard of top 7 teams in div1 was never higher in my lifetime.

Largely thanks to Kerry>Tyrone>Donegal>Dublin Each progressed the game of Gaelic football.

MY opinion is that the horse has bolted. Thats its unfixable. I don't have to have your solutions forced upon me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 banner4change

I would be confident with this prediction, that I suspect that this thread will turn quite busy over the coming hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

I see the Ulster champions were destroyed by 15 points. Not just a Leinster issue is it? We need a repeat scoreline in the All Ireland final. That will bring even more attention to this. Time to end the farce. This is an amateur sport, professional set ups go against that.

Enquiring wrote: »
        I see the Ulster champions were destroyed by 15 points. Not just a Leinster issue is it? We need a repeat scoreline in the All Ireland final. That will bring even more attention to this. Time to end the farce. This is an amateur sport, professional set ups go against that.

I propose we rename it The All Ireland Football Championship is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

I propose we rename it The All Ireland Football Championship is dead.

The reality is, it is dead. I doubt there's any teams left that genuinely think they can win it. They might claim they do but deep down they know its pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Starve the GAA of income if that’s your viewpoint (the championship is dead). The GAA care about their bottom line. They don’t care about boards.ie and it’s never ending debates.

Pay your club subs but starve your county board and the GAA of any income. That’s how you force change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Well did we all enjoy that farce? The AI final will be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Starve the GAA of income if that’s your viewpoint (the championship is dead). The GAA care about their bottom line. They don’t care about boards.ie and it’s never ending debates.

Pay your club subs but starve your county board and the GAA of any income. That’s how you force change.

There's no need for that really.
        Dublin's dominance will continue, attendances (when they can return) will continue to see a drop, although there'll likely be a post Covid surge for a year or two first, and once the Gaa's pockets are hit too hard they'll sort things then.

There's no need for someone from Leitrim or Sligo to deprive their county board of money though !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Big Ears wrote: »
        There's no need for that really.
        Dublin's dominance will continue, attendances (when they can return) will continue to see a drop, although there'll likely be a post Covid surge for a year or two first, and once the Gaa's pockets are hit too hard they'll sort things then.

There's no need for someone from Leitrim or Sligo to deprive their county board of money though !

Keep feathering the nest so.

https://www.otbsports.com/football/gaa-executive-pay-croke-park-averaged-e125845-2019-965684

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

You're really only hurting your own county if you boycott the league. Championship is a different matter and fans should decide to vote with their feet at this stage which hurts the provincial councils. The big wigs will fill their trough off the hurling gate in any case.

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement