Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Leinster Championship is dead.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

corny wrote: »
    I'm all for equalising inter county spends. Preparation and Performance Analysis can be bought and Dublin are in the driving seat when it comes to this.

I'm sure there are teams in Ireland who haven't a clue why they lose in games.

I saw a piece on what makes Jurgen Klopp so good and they focused on the work of the backroom team he has. Teams of people analyse every touch, every pass in a game and monitor the outcome. They are able to tell you when you're in a certain zone of the pitch you're statistically favoured if you pass the ball to your left! Mind blowing detail. I'm sure Dublin are at this level.

That's the key. If you have the resources to work on the minute and then improve those then you'll be superior to those in the same work area abd improve deliverables etc.
    In the work areas I'm in this is key. If you you have a number if resources to focus on each position then every single chink will be resolved.

Many hands make light work. Dublin have that. Abd that's down to money and the resources to hand. That's the reality and not a dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not so the league. Since 2000 Dublin have only won it 6 times.

Yes it’s their bogey competition alright. Dublin just can’t crack it.

I think they get nervous in those league games. Sometimes they play comerford instead of cluxton in them because the nerves of facing monaghan is just too much for clucko.

Lord almighty, there are some belters on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

corny wrote: »
    I'm all for equalising inter county spends. Preparation and Performance Analysis can be bought and Dublin are in the driving seat when it comes to this.

I'm sure there are teams in Ireland who haven't a clue why they lose in games.

I saw a piece on what makes Jurgen Klopp so good and they focused on the work of the backroom team he has. Teams of people analyse every touch, every pass in a game and monitor the outcome. They are able to tell you when you're in a certain zone of the pitch you're statistically favoured if you pass the ball to your left! Mind blowing detail. I'm sure Dublin are at this level.

Dublin have invested a large amount of money and time into the statistics you are talking about and no one else has the resources to do that. Its a real moneyball situation. Billy Beane didn't need the best players, he just needed players that were able to complete different areas of the game to a decent level. Thats the power that information has. It brought that team from deadlast to champions in a couple of seasons.
    Add in superior S&C, recovery and the other advantages and all these inches turn into yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

JeffKenna wrote: »
    What I wonder is that if Dublin have similar expenses to these counties and don't have the same travel costs (I think 40% of Corks expenses is travel), then what are they actually spending the money on?

Nutritionists, S&C coaches, analysts, coaches, etc., etc. People talked about Cavan being out on their feet yesterday. I’m sure an element of that is from not having as much of the ball, but Dublin players are miles ahead of the rest in terms of S&C. Their back room team is akin to a professional outfit, and the players don’t have to travel to train. You have lads driving to Mayo and Donegal from Dublin 2 or 3 times a week to train, so it’s not possible to be at the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The reason I've no hope this will be solved and have firmly switched to hurling at inter County level is simple.

The Dublin monster was created 15-20 years ago and really came to fruition in the last 10 years.

Population of Dublin around 2000 was 990k. Today it's around 1.25M. It's grown by more then the total size of Meath or Kildare. By 2035 it's due to grow by the size of Kildare again. That will just continue going forward.

Next year Dublin will again get far more money from the GAA then Meath/Kildare. The administration side of croker is very biased towards Dublin so chances are only small changes will be made to finance and they'll get more money over the next 2 decades.

They're beating Meath and Kildare by 20 points now. Bearing this in mind in 20 years a unified Dublin team could be beating them by 30 or 40 points. We know nothing major will change, we know players from Leinster counties will keep losing interest and motivation. I'm predicting in about 10 years Leinster counties will finally give in and will refuse to play Dublin. And nobody will be upset because playing Dublin is a pointless exercise already. It's like Namibia playing the all blacks in the world cup and losing by 140 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Fair enough meath are young and I note you are only basing it on a few years.
    Are most of those league games 2020 it seems? Because if it is league it proves my point better games then championship.

Meath are not quite division 1 but are close but the gap is still there. Between them and the top 7 consistent league teams (over the last 10 years) Kerry Dublin Mayo Galway Donegal Monaghan. In whatever order you wish to put them.

Look at the gaps in Leinster championship among unequal league teams over a 10 year period how many were wallopings? What is the point of that for either team?

Anyway the GAA need a shake up and do the obvious if people don't like it tough.

I took the results from 4 years not 1 years, 4 years, all under McEntee tenure. No one is saying Meath is div 1 team. They are not. No one is saying Meath are one of best teams in the country in top 7 or 8, thats not what I am saying. What I am saying is you said Mayo Tyrone Kerry and Donegal would murder and kill Meath and kildare. I was just giving actiual evidence, actual games to show they werent murdered. Kildare beat Mayo in 2018. And while Meath havent beaten top teams, there is 8 competitve games in last 4 years v top teams, Donegal, Mayo, Galway, Kerry, Monaghan struggled to beat Meath. In last four years Donegal three times beat Meath by 2 or 1 point, Kerry beat Meath by 3 points, Galway by 2 points, Mayo by 1 points, Tyrone by 1 point and drew with Monaghan.

And they are not all league games. Kildare beat Mayo in championship in 2018, Meath lost to Tyrone in championship by 1 point in 2018 and lost Donegal by 1 point in 2017. Here are actual match reports from RTE Website at the time

All reports from RTE website of the Matchs

Mayo exit Championship after shock defeat to Kildare (Source RTE Website)
    Kildare 0-21 Mayo 0-19
    "The Lilywhites won a sweltering game to end Mayo’s interest in the All-Ireland championship at the earliest point in any year since 2010.The scores were tied up 12 minutes from the end of normal time and the Lilies kicked on to register six of the final nine points to move into the next round and one step closer to the Super 8. "

Late point sees Donegal edge past Meath ( Source RTE Website)
    Donegal 1-15 Meath 1-14
    "Paddy McBrearty settled a Pairc Tailteann epic with a stoppage-time winner to fire Donegal through to the final round of the All-Ireland football qualifiers with his 73rd-minute winning score from long range.It settled an enthralling game that had been level six times throughout the second-half and 11 times in total.
    It looked all set for extra-time in a tit-for-tat encounter that went right to the wire but McBrearty showed all his experience and quality to nail 73rd minute winner"

Meath left frustrated as Tyrone squeeze through in Qualifier (Source RTE Website)
    Tyrone 2-14 Meath 0-19
    "Tyrone lived on their wits in Navan before eventually shaking off dogged Meath after extra-time to advance to Round 2 of the All-Ireland football qualifiers. Mickey Harte's side required a Cathal McShane point in the sixth minute of injury-time to force the extra period and Harry Loughran's 76th minute goal ultimately propelled them through.The 2016 and 2017 Ulster champions can breathe a sigh of relief after a thrilling second-half where the sides were level six times"

Couple more performances were Donegal kerry didnt murder Meath, you can look up the reports of Mayo and Galway games if you want.

Fortuitous goal sees Donegal come back to beat Meath ( Source RTE Sport).
    Donegal 1-13 Meath 0-14
    "Donegal beat Meath 1-13 to 0-14 in Ballybofey. But they was a large slice of luck attached to the win, as they came from four points down in the final quarter, thanks to a lucky goal from Caolan McGonagle.

Kerry stutter to win over Meath in Killarney ( Source RTE Website)
    Kerry 1-19 Meath 2-13
    "Meath manager Andy McEntee will be gleaning the positives from this game he can certainly look at the character and resolve his players showed throughout. In the end Kerry just about got it done, with Walsh and Clifford kicking scores to keep Meath at bay, though the Royals did draw a couple of important saves from Kelly as Kerry fell over the winning line."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Fann Linn wrote: »
    He also played the line that Dublin offered to assist all the other Leinster counties and no one took up the offer.

First of all not a dub, Kilroy done work in Wicklow on the fixtures for the leagues to try improve what had being a mess for a number of years and seemingly was a big help in a new template.
    Why wouldn’t county boards take help from the Dublin model to try improve finances and coaching methods etc. All because a lot of county boards are run for years by the same people with one goal look after their own club and not the big picture.
    The Meath mans answer was all about coaches and how many Dublin have. In a lot of counties the coaches are going through the motions and are hand picked by the county boards to suit. In the local national school one ex county player is teaching and doing huge work with the kids and his style of play can be seen in the different age groups at local clubs, the guy from the county coach at the school is always late and in hurry away and some days has the kids playing basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Everyone has their own idea of a new championship but no-one can agree what it is so the current status quo continues and will continue indefinitely.

Leinster is dead. There's no saving it. Dublin are going to soundly beat Mayo to confirm that the AI has followed the Leinster championship into the grave.

If it was up to me I'd abolish inter county football as its pointless and focus on club football where there's some competitive games.

Thankfully its not up to you:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Sonny678 wrote: »
    I took the results from 4 years not 1 years, 4 years, all under McEntee tenure. No one is saying Meath is div 1 team. They are not. No one is saying Meath are one of best teams in the country in top 7 or 8, thats not what I am saying. What I am saying is you said Mayo Tyrone Kerry and Donegal would murder and kill Meath and kildare. I was just giving actiual evidence, actual games to show they werent murdered. Kildare beat Mayo in 2018. And while Meath havent beaten top teams, there is 8 competitve games in last 4 years v top teams, Donegal, Mayo, Galway, Kerry, Monaghan struggled to beat Meath. In last four years Donegal three times beat Meath by 2 or 1 point, Kerry beat Meath by 3 points, Galway by 2 points, Mayo by 1 points, Tyrone by 1 point and drew with Monaghan.
    Good post, Sonny. I'd also make the point that, while we were soundly beaten in the end by Donegal, Mayo and Kerry in the Super 8s last year, we were very competitive for large parts of each game. We were leading against Donegal with less than 15 to go, leading Mayo well into the second half and were within striking distance of Kerry into the second half as well. We just didn't have the experience or fitness to push on and get a result against those seasoned teams.

The GAA's funding has helped Dublin turn into the behemoth it is today. This is not a criticism of Dublin! The GAA offered Dublin this money and assistance so Dublin were obviously going to take it. It has been so successful that Dublin are now financially self sufficient, taking in insane amounts of money each year from both AIG and their secondary sponsors.
    This has allowed them to do things at the drop of a hat that other counties would have to spend years fundraising in order to achieve. They purchased Spawell a few years ago for €9 million. No fundraising needed as far as I know. Then they've let it sit idle with no plans to develop it as far as I know. If that occurred in another county, there'd be uproar and heads would roll. Only last month, Dublin have purchased the old Hollystown golf course which is worth around €15 million, if I remember correctly. Again, no fundraising needed. The fact that a county board in an amateur game has that sort of money lying around for capital projects is astounding. It also blows the myth that Dublin are underfunded out of the water.

As for solutions, I'd agree with pooling sponsorship centrally and distributing it proportionally. The same programme that the GAA implemented in Dublin is required across the country. People saying that Dublin shouldn't be "hobbled" are ignoring the fact that 31 other counties were hobbled in the 10+ years that Dublin were being funded the way they were. However, I'd be of the opinion that even this may be too little too late. Dublin's conveyor belt of talent shows no signs of slowing down.

On Saturday, Cavan got a taste of what awaits every Leinster team every year if they happen to meet Dublin. They've got a young, talented, up and coming team and actually did well to hold Dublin for long periods. However, while Cavan's performance was spirited and Meath's was embarrassing two weeks previously, Cavan still were beaten out the gate. If that awaited Cavan in Ulster every year, it wouldn't be long before the talented younger players would start thinking "Why bother?".
    I'd expect similar to happen to Mayo on Saturday week. While again it was a one sided semi final, Mayo's defence was atrocious. They conceded 3 goals, I think another 5 or 6 Tipp goal chances were saved or missed while there were two cynical fouls that prevented more goal chances. Dublin would have buried them by the first water break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

IMO Provincial Championships and County Boundaries are no longer fit for purpose.

I think in time the GAA will have to go down route of splits and amalgamations. But this will be difficult and meet with opposition.

But I do we'll get to a stage where there is no alternative

• Advertisement

ShyMets wrote: »
    IMO Provincial Championships and County Boundaries are no longer fit for purpose.

I think in time the GAA will have to go down route of splits and amalgamations. But this will be difficult and meet with opposition.

But I do we'll get to a stage where there is no alternative

The hardest one will be whether to join Kerry and cork. Their population amalgamated total equals a split Dublin so it’s fair to consider an amalgamation. But Kerry might be a special case because they are so good.

But the likes of Kildare and meath (and Westmeath), Mayo and Galway, tyrone and Armagh (and louth and monaghan) Will just have to hold their nose and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Good post, Sonny. I'd also make the point that, while we were soundly beaten in the end by Donegal, Mayo and Kerry in the Super 8s last year, we were very competitive for large parts of each game. We were leading against Donegal with less than 15 to go, leading Mayo well into the second half and were within striking distance of Kerry into the second half as well. We just didn't have the experience or fitness to push on and get a result against those seasoned teams.

The GAA's funding has helped Dublin turn into the behemoth it is today. This is not a criticism of Dublin! The GAA offered Dublin this money and assistance so Dublin were obviously going to take it. It has been so successful that Dublin are now financially self sufficient, taking in insane amounts of money each year from both AIG and their secondary sponsors.
    This has allowed them to do things at the drop of a hat that other counties would have to spend years fundraising in order to achieve. They purchased Spawell a few years ago for €9 million. No fundraising needed as far as I know. Then they've let it sit idle with no plans to develop it as far as I know. If that occurred in another county, there'd be uproar and heads would roll. Only last month, Dublin have purchased the old Hollystown golf course which is worth around €15 million, if I remember correctly. Again, no fundraising needed. The fact that a county board in an amateur game has that sort of money lying around for capital projects is astounding. It also blows the myth that Dublin are underfunded out of the water.

As for solutions, I'd agree with pooling sponsorship centrally and distributing it proportionally. The same programme that the GAA implemented in Dublin is required across the country. People saying that Dublin shouldn't be "hobbled" are ignoring the fact that 31 other counties were hobbled in the 10+ years that Dublin were being funded the way they were. However, I'd be of the opinion that even this may be too little too late. Dublin's conveyor belt of talent shows no signs of slowing down.

On Saturday, Cavan got a taste of what awaits every Leinster team every year if they happen to meet Dublin. They've got a young, talented, up and coming team and actually did well to hold Dublin for long periods. However, while Cavan's performance was spirited and Meath's was embarrassing two weeks previously, Cavan still were beaten out the gate. If that awaited Cavan in Ulster every year, it wouldn't be long before the talented younger players would start thinking "Why bother?".
    I'd expect similar to happen to Mayo on Saturday week. While again it was a one sided semi final, Mayo's defence was atrocious. They conceded 3 goals, I think another 5 or 6 Tipp goal chances were saved or missed while there were two cynical fouls that prevented more goal chances. Dublin would have buried them by the first water break.

Hammer while I do agree with the majority of your post I will pull you up on a couple of things. The Spawell has not been left idle, there were a number of anchor tenants in situ when it was purchased and they seeing out there leases, DCB taking the rent.

On the S&C and general fitness levels. There is no g button for this, Dublin have Bryan Cullen doing this. Cavan have Andre Quinn, he spent 10yrs as S&C coach in the English rugby premiership. Far more experience than Cullen. I know every county has a personalised plan for each player. Not sure why the Dublin one works better. The location and ease of travel as in distance is one, but also sitting in traffic can be as bad as long journeys. Taking the extreme example of Cuala to Inisfalls which is where the majority of Dublin Football sessions take place, that is approx a 100km round trip. The northside lads would have it far easier alright.

There needs to be a cohesive plan that all counties buy into and implement. Kildare clubs have already refused GDO's. Limerick are the only county to ask Dublin for advice in developing a structure to develop games in the county. Dublin gladly shared their knowledge.

It is not going to be easy or an overnight fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Kildare clubs have already refused GDO's.

I wonder if there's any way we can get the actual accurate story on this, before it's repeated again?

Maybe it's indeed the case that some Kildare clubs refused GDOs on the grounds that they didn't see any need for them or didn't think they'd bring any benefits. Maybe.

But I speculated several pages back that maybe it's the case that rather than refusing them outright, they had to reluctantly conclude that they couldn't commit to putting up €20,000 or €25,000 or more of their own money each year to part-fund them.

So while they might still have "refused" them by saying "no thanks", the reasons for "refusal" might be key to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

fullstop wrote: »
    Surprise, surprise. Pat Gilroy doesn’t think it’s an issue if Dublin get €270 per player while Donegal get €20 per player funding from the GAA, because Dublin are “weak between the canals” :pac:

Gilroy must be reading some of the threads on here with his cr** about how all the money was spent on the children in schools.

As if those children don't join clubs, grow up and play adult football.

FFS McEntee was poor and RTE for not challenging that.
    But then again it was Des fooking Cahill.
    Which Dublin club is he linked to again?

Then we had the population used as an argument for funding, but yet again the amount is disproportionate to population when you compare to say Cork.

Watching that now - he's a bullsh*tter. He actually played the "we have better volunteers line". And deflects everything away from funding. And shouts down everyone. Laughable.

There's no saving this mess.

That is another go to excuse and is basically a slap in the mouth to every volunteer around the country.
    fullstop wrote: »
    Brutal. McStay made a very valid point in the one before it re travel expenses. It’s a line often trotted out by a few dubs on here that other counties are spending similar amounts to Dublin, but for the western and north western, 50% of that is spent on getting players to training, an expense Dublin don’t have. Other counties are having to go cap in hand to supporters every year to buy raffle tickets to ‘keep up’.

Very good points he raised with quick solutions available.
    But don't expect anything done about it.

McStay made that point when he was in charge of Roscommon that he had to worry about fundraising and he has also asked what service do the GAA suggest teams drop when they cut the amount the county teams spend.
    Do you drop the strength and fitness, perhaps physio sessions ?

I bet Gilroy, Gavin or Farrell have never had to worry about what they spend.
    If you look at the figuire for a few years there Mayo probably spent a little more on county team but they dojn't have massive sponsors, a lot has been raised through fundraising.

And the fact Dublin spend nearly as much as Mayo on county team, even though Dublin players have feck all travelling expenses, the team never have to travel to championship matches unlike the years Mayo took the scenic route around Ireland to the All Ireland final says a lot.

I heard someone made a comment in passing the other night about seeing a few guys with laptops monitoring the Dublin team during a match.
    That is the level of analysis they have.
    How can most counties compete with that.

This big thing that has been shoved to the back burner with all the talk about development spending in Dublin, Dublin not playing away, etc is that the amount it now takes to field a competitive intercounty team is going above what most counties can realistically afford.

I wonder if there's any way we can get the actual accurate story on this, before it's repeated again?

Maybe it's indeed the case that some Kildare clubs refused GDOs on the grounds that they didn't see any need for them or didn't think they'd bring any benefits. Maybe.

But I speculated several pages back that maybe it's the case that rather than refusing them outright, they had to reluctantly conclude that they couldn't commit to putting up €20,000 or €25,000 or more of their own money each year to part-fund them.

So while they might still have "refused" them by saying "no thanks", the reasons for "refusal" might be key to it.

It could very well be that they looked at the cost and could not afford it. From my information it was the larger clubs that rejected it and didn't see the benefit of a GDO.

It could very well be that they looked at the cost and could not afford it. From my information it was the larger clubs that rejected it and didn't see the benefit of a GDO.

I don't know. I don't know how big even the largest GAA clubs are in Kildare either. But obviously a club with say 500 or maybe 700 or 800 members is going to have a far harder time in finding €20,000 a year than a club with 1,500 members or more would do.

Maybe until or unless we know the full ins and outs of it, it might be a good idea to just leave that one aside?

I don't know. I don't know how big even the largest GAA clubs are in Kildare either. But obviously a club with say 500 or maybe 700 or 800 members is going to have a far harder time in finding €20,000 a year than a club with 1,500 members or more would do.

Maybe until or unless we know the full ins and outs of it, it might be a good idea to just leave that one aside?

Why? There is some amount of rumour put out here. The man who penned the heartfelt letter about Dublin, has tweeted there is a club in Dublin with 5 GPO's. I would love to know which club it is. But as he has written it on Twitter everyone takes it as fact. My information is from someone involved in Kildare GAA. It may have just been Newbridge clubs, but some clubs refused.

The amount of money invested in Dublin GPOs, although huge and galling, has very little affect on Dublin’s senior team being excellent. If you think cutting that funding and increasing it in Kildare or Meath will cause any “leveling out” in Leinster then I’m afraid your opinion is wrong. Really fcuking desperately wrong.

I implore you not to fall into that trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Why? There is some amount of rumour put out here. The man who penned the heartfelt letter about Dublin, has tweeted there is a club in Dublin with 5 GPO's. I would love to know which club it is. But as he has written it on Twitter everyone takes it as fact. My information is from someone involved in Kildare GAA. It may have just been Newbridge clubs, but some clubs refused.
    25k would be the total budget for some clubs in Leinster. It's pretty obvious why they'd refuse as unlike dublin clubs they can't afford it.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    25k would be the total budget for some clubs in Leinster. It's pretty obvious why they'd refuse as unlike dublin clubs they can't afford it.

Contrary to public opinion not all Dublin clubs are awash with money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

This is a ludicrous claim designed to muddy the waters. It didn't happen.

This is a ludicrous claim designed to muddy the waters. It didn't happen.

I am afraid it did. I got told by someone involved at club level in Kildare that some clubs refused GDO's.

I am afraid it did. I got told by someone involved at club level in Kildare that some clubs refused GDO's.

Are you up to your old Walter Mitty antics and spreading fake news again?

You read a post from me that newbridge clubs turned down being part of the East Leinster project. Before that you knew nothing about this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hammer while I do agree with the majority of your post I will pull you up on a couple of things. The Spawell has not been left idle, there were a number of anchor tenants in situ when it was purchased and they seeing out there leases, DCB taking the rent.
    Fair enough. The main point still stands though. If any other county board in the country were undertaking a capital project equaling €9 million or more, there would have to be years of fundraising activities in order to get enough to get the project off the ground. Dublin obviously had this staggering amount available to them and had enough in reserve to purchase another site worth €15 million just 3 years later.
    On the S&C and general fitness levels. There is no g button for this, Dublin have Bryan Cullen doing this. Cavan have Andre Quinn, he spent 10yrs as S&C coach in the English rugby premiership. Far more experience than Cullen. I know every county has a personalised plan for each player. Not sure why the Dublin one works better. The location and ease of travel as in distance is one, but also sitting in traffic can be as bad as long journeys. Taking the extreme example of Cuala to Inisfalls which is where the majority of Dublin Football sessions take place, that is approx a 100km round trip. The northside lads would have it far easier alright.

Another poster already explained that Cavan's S&C coach has only recently been appointed. It takes years for the full benefits of professional S&C coaching to be seen. How long have Dublin had a professional S&C coach on their books? I see that Bryan Cullen has been there since 2016 (after spending 4 years at Leinster who I'd argue would have a much better setup than London Irish) but after a brief look online, it looks as though Dublin have had the benefits of professional S&C coaching for a lot longer than that.
    Regarding travel, I would say that a huge number of intercounty players from outside Dublin have to deal with the same traffic as Dublin players and deal with much bigger distances. As mentioned earlier (not sure if it's true but let's say it is), if Mayo are holding a training session in Athlone, you're talking anythign from 1.5 - 3 hours from Dublin at rush hour (250km round trip). To use the extreme example coming from Belmullet, it's 2.5 - 3hrs minimum and a 400km round trip. I'd take an hour on the M50 over that.
    There needs to be a cohesive plan that all counties buy into and implement. Kildare clubs have already refused GDO's. Limerick are the only county to ask Dublin for advice in developing a structure to develop games in the county. Dublin gladly shared their knowledge.

It is not going to be easy or an overnight fix.
    I agree that a cohesive plan is needed and it's not going to change any time soon. But lets not pretend that Dublin were the ones to come up with this plan on their own initially. The GAA came up with the plan initially and supervised the investment. It wasn't simply a case of no other county board having the wherewithal to come up with similar plans. This funding was explicitly for Dublin only. Other counties applied for GAA funding for similar projects and were rejected. People forget that Dublin county board were pretty inept prior to the turn of the century (and they weren't alone in that regard). They've turned that around so much so that they have a full time CEO to run the county board like a business. I'm not aware of any other county that has the resources to fund a fully professional chief executive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It makes no sense at all. Where was this funding coming from? Why was there no announcement that Kildare was to receive increased development funding? How is there no record of it only your own ramblings on this thread.

Your claim is that someone, presumably in the gaa, rang up a random club in Kildare and offered them a gdo. Not as part of a scheme or overall ramp up in resources, just a direct offer to a club. And this unnamed club said "thanks but no thanks" without any further discussion in the club, any fundraising attempts, any mention in the media and kept all mention of it under wraps until you let it slip

Our own club in kildare tried to come together with local clubs a while back to see if we could get a gdo between us and it didn't get anywhere as this East Leinster project was coming on stream and we had to wait and see. Your claiming that other clubs in the county are being offered these resources, unsolicited mind you, and turning them down. It's complete waffle.

Why? Because even the person who keeps repeating it admits that he doesn't know the full story. So it's no more helpful than any of the other rumours and so-called "facts" that are always thrown around sooner or later whenever people try to have a sensible discussion on the topic.

But anyway, I can't control what you write, so fire ahead with your "if you can't beat them, join them" approach....

It makes no sense at all. Where was this funding coming from? Why was there no announcement that Kildare was to receive increased development funding? How is there no record of it only your own ramblings on this thread.

Your claim is that someone, presumably in the gaa, rang up a random club in Kildare and offered them a gdo. Not as part of a scheme or overall ramp up in resources, just a direct offer to a club. And this unnamed club said "thanks but no thanks" without any further discussion in the club, any fundraising attempts, any mention in the media and kept all mention of it under wraps until you let it slip

Our own club in kildare tried to come together with local clubs a while back to see if we could get a gdo between us and it didn't get anywhere as this East Leinster project was coming on stream and we had to wait and see. Your claiming that other clubs in the county are being offered these resources, unsolicited mind you, and turning them down. It's complete waffle.

Ramblings and waffle they are not, using terms like that does not add to the argument. A Kildare man/woman from Newbridge confirmed this earlier in this debate. Their word were that the clubs looked at it and didn't see an benefit in paying an outsider to do what their volunteers were doing FOC. So they must be lying, or rambling or waffling.

Why? Because even the person who keeps repeating it admits that he doesn't know the full story. So it's no more helpful than any of the other rumours and so-called "facts" that are always thrown around sooner or later whenever people try to have a sensible discussion on the topic.

But anyway, I can't control what you write, so fire ahead with your "if you can't beat them, join them" approach....

Uncle, that's what it's got to I'm afraid. The posters looking for change bye and large have not offered a solution to the perceived problem. The majority only look to vent their spleen.

As I have already posted, but some choose to ignore. I believe a cohesive plan tackling the operational and coaching side has to be produced. This will require an in depth audit of each county structure to identify area's of weakness and of strength. Then and only then can this plan be developed.

Crying out for additional funding without enabling the county to maximise its potential is potentially wasteful.

Splitting Dublin might be palatable to the majority, but not to a Dubliner, South Dublin will have no identity. Before anyone rolls in with you will develop one, no I won't. I'm a Dub, albeit of a Limerick dad and Meath Mother. But i'm a Dub, not a South, North, East or West Dub. A Dub.

Can we get posters to look seriously at the perceived issues and prioritise a plan of action. At least that way we might see some progress. We have to as an organisation get away from the clowns on Twitter who are just looking for clickbait to play their bills. There are enough serious business people in each county who are embedded in the GAA that can offer advise on the operational/financial side. From a coaching perspective, we as a club look to recently retired or active players if time permits to give back to the club by coaching underage teams, a lot of them would have been exposed to IC level and their experience has helped, if only in keeping kids involved due to the coaches being IC players.

Ramblings and waffle they are not, using terms like that does not add to the argument. A Kildare man/woman from Newbridge confirmed this earlier in this debate. Their word were that the clubs looked at it and didn't see an benefit in paying an outsider to do what their volunteers were doing FOC. So they must be lying, or rambling or waffling.

Strange, in his last post this poster claimed he was “talking to someone involved in a Kildare club” now it’s “A Kildare man/woman from Newbridge confirmed this earlier in this debate”

Both his/her statements above are untrue but I have never seen a poster who is so dishonest. He’s being caught out and called out for lies in previous posts and now is continuing with more dishonesty.

Trend carefully in any debate with this poster.

• Advertisement

Their word were that the clubs looked at it and didn't see an benefit in paying an outsider to do what their volunteers were doing FOC.

If you don't know who the GDO will be, and if it's somebody new or relatively new who's got no track record to speak of, then it's only natural to doubt whether or not it would be worth it to pay out big money for something that volunteers are already doing.

A few years back here in Wexford, there was a suggestion that groups of maybe five different clubs could come together for each to part-fund a GDO to the tune of €5,000 each per year, and then share that GDO between them.

My own club considered it and we had to conclude it wasn't feasible. Our entire annual budget is in the region of €75,000 and every cent of it is already needed. To find even an extra €5,000 every year would be a hell of a challenge, especially when it would basically be a shot in the dark. Same with just about every other club in our area, and definitely with the rural clubs that we'd be closest to.

So, in your book, you'd probably say that Wexford clubs "refused" a GDO too. But the reality is that if finance wasn't an issue, we'd be snapping it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement