Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Leinster Championship is dead.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

"Dublin don't have enough funding".

FFS!

Unfortunately Andy McEntee is weak.

O'Rourke has said this himself who wants Dublin divided or a transfer system and more parentage rule usage - if no spilt

https://punditarena.com/gaa/mcorry/colm-orourke-division-dublin/

Colm O'Rourke (Meath Legend 2019)

People talk about funding, I don’t think Dublin are over-funded, in fact, I think they’re under-funded because the funding goes to the development of clubs and that’s the most important thing of all. All of these coaching officers are doing a fantastic job in encouraging young people in primary schools to play Gaelic Games and for me, it’s a phenomenal success and it’s something that should be continued.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And you'll have Kildare or Meath still taking the hammering at semi final stage like this weekend. Although that's probably acceptable as they'll have a Leinster final win under their belts.

It's going to take years to reverse the damage the current plan has created. It may never be fixed.

The least central can do is try and put it on a level playing field instead of a clear bias towards one county

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

bennyl10 wrote: »
    It's going to take years to reverse the damage the current plan has created. It may never be fixed.

The leats central can do is try and put it on a level playing frield instaead of a clear bias towards one county

That's why the league system is perhaps the fairest system overall.

yop wrote: »
    I've no idea if they are true facts. But are Dublin getting 10 times more money per player than say Donegal?
    Do Dublin have 5 times the number of coaches than other counties? Of so why? Do they proved coaches with gear or training etc?

Genuine questions. Not here to troll. Prefer to have my 2 cans and watch the highlights.

It is complex. It would be like me saying Meath have more clubs per capita than Dublin. So why are they not improving.

Meath head of S&C explains the GAA's the problem with counties like Meath in this article.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1107/1176643-meath-coach-ronan-urges-ad-hoc-gaa-to-look-at-rugby/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

Terribly basic level of discussion on that.

Really disappointing, it would have been interesting to hear some level of nuanced debate brought into the public sphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

O'Rourke has said this himself who wants Dublin divided or a transfer system and more parentage rule usage - if no spilt

https://punditarena.com/gaa/mcorry/colm-orourke-division-dublin/

Colm O'Rourke (Meath Legend 2019)

People talk about funding, I don’t think Dublin are over-funded, in fact, I think they’re under-funded because the funding goes to the development of clubs and that’s the most important thing of all. All of these coaching officers are doing a fantastic job in encouraging young people in primary schools to play Gaelic Games and for me, it’s a phenomenal success and it’s something that should be continued.

There's no chance of a Dublin split. There's no chance of funding cuts. There's no chance of provincials being ended. There's no chance of anything happening.
    The GAA have got themselves into an almighty bind and they have no idea how to get out of it. They just aren't competent enough.

That's why the league system is perhaps the fairest system overall.

Allejuiah someone else has said it.

I thought I was in a twilight zone and going mad.

Niall Moyna agrees with you.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/out-dated-outmoded-and-turning-people-off-niall-moyna-on-championship-1.4154409

Jim McGuinness suggests this for a new championship:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-how-i-would-reinvigorate-football-championship-1.2241993?mode=amp

There's no chance of a Dublin split. There's no chance of funding cuts. There's no chance of provincials being ended. There's no chance of anything happening.
    The GAA have got themselves into an almighty bind and they have no idea how to get out of it. They just aren't competent enough.

Yeah, it is because they try and please everyone and please no one.

Super 8's a half assed league not done nor left alone. And backdoor system only really favours the big guns.

Honestly lads, just admit the funding disparity is the problem and we can all move on and maybe in about 6 or 7 years have a half decent championship again because what we have now is a farce and a shambles.
    And unfortunately its only going to get worse.

I've never seen a sport so badly administered than this one.

In any other country the league would take precedence. Teams of equal calibre battling it out week in and out.

• Advertisement

Everyone has their own idea of a new championship but no-one can agree what it is so the current status quo continues and will continue indefinitely.

Leinster is dead. There's no saving it. Dublin are going to soundly beat Mayo to confirm that the AI has followed the Leinster championship into the grave.

If it was up to me I'd abolish inter county football as its pointless and focus on club football where there's some competitive games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Ok you have free reign with the GAA what would you do?

Competition restructure or is your idea just to spilt the Dubs because that would be worse for other counties in the long run. They would work as a feeder county to the 'main county' and it would make Dublin even stronger while making even more of a joke of Leinster.

Amalgamation you proabably don't want another poster I think it was the OP who said he would rather be sh!te then see Meath and Kildare merge.

Trying to fit teams of large varying standards. in the same antiquated province is a recipe for disaster. It must be great fun for Wicklow, Wexford and Louth?

When are they going to win a Leinster soon?
    Remove Dublin there is the answer some say!

But even if Dublin was removed (to where I don't know) Mars maybe - what chance have those counties. Plus even if Meath/Kildare created their own duuopoly with no Dublin their standard will still be sh!te or mediorce at best.

Mayo,Kerry, Donegal Tyrone would still kill Meath and Kildare when they get out of their Leinster bubble. Like Dublin were in the mid 00's They continually flopped outside Leinster - whether by winning Leinster or the qualifier route.

You said Mayo Kerry Donegal Tyrone would murder Meath and kildare. Kildare beat Mayo in the championship in 2018. Meath lost by 1 point to Tyrone in championship in 2018, only a point in 7th min of injury time saved Tyrone from being knocked out of the championship by Meath in 2018. Meath lost by 1 point to Donegal in 2017 championship, the lead changed 8 times in second half, and McBreaty wonderpoint won it for Donegal in 71st min. Meath lost by 1 point to Mayo and 3 to kerry this year, thats not murdering teams. Meath are not beating top teams, but Mayo, Kerry, Galway, Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal have struggled to beat Meath recently. Meath lost by 1 point to Mayo in spring, Meath were ahead at 69th min until Mayo goal won the game. Marc O S e said Meath should have beaten kerry in killarney in spring, Meath were the better team. Meath were riddled with injuries in all these games. With 12 first team players missing v Mayo Galway and kerry.

Kildare beat Mayo beat in 2108 in the championship. Thats not murdering kildare
    2018 Meath lost by 1 point to Tyrone in championship
    2019 Meath lost by 2 points to Donegal in Ballyboefey (a game Meath dominated til 63rd min until freak goal)
    2019 Meath lost by 2 points to Donegal in league final. Meath were much better team in first half with 5 up at half time.
    2020 Meath lost by 1 point to Mayo
    2020 Meath lost by 2 points to Galway
    2020 Meath lost by 3 points to kerry
    2020 Meath lost by 4 points to Dublin
    2020 Meath drew with Monaghan

Yes Meath are not beating top teams, but Meath are going toe to toe for 70 seconds and top teams are struggling to beat a very young team with so many 19 and 20 and 21 year olds., Meath have one youngest teams in the country( 10 players played v Dublin in league and championship who were 21 are under) Meath in your words are not being murdered by the top teams, 1 or 2 points loses are not being murdered. Meath lost all those games in injury time. It shows this Meath young team cannot get over the line, but to say these counties have murdered and will murder Meath is unfair and plain wrong. I have 8 competitive games since 2017 v best teams in the country where Meath lost by 1 or 2 points or drew and went the full 70s mins with Tyrone, Donegal 3 times, Monaghan, Mayo, Galway and 3 point lost to kerry this year where Pat Spillane and Marc O Se said Meath should have won.

I am just annoyed now. I will stop posting on this thread. Today and yesterday's games annoyed me. They are everything wrong with the provincial system in a nutshell.

Yet people seemed surprised! I give up.

I can't wait for next years league - with no covid19 hopefully

Plus the team who ever wins this AI it does not really count covid19 made sure of that. No matter who wins it. Because it is covid19 skewed and system skewed. A healthy competition would see the best teams play each other on merit. But that is not how the GAA seems to work at intercounty level.

You would not see a Senior Dublin club play an intermediate club in the championship.
    But at intercounty similar gaps in standard is no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

It was cringy.

McEntee had nothing to say and Gilroy wouldn't shut the **** up. Neither advanced the debate in any way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I am just annoyed now. I will stop posting on this thread. Today and yesterday's games annoyed me. They are everything wrong with the provincial system in a nutshell.

Plus the team who ever wins this AI it does not really count covid19 made sure of that. No matter who wins it. Because it is covid19 skewed and system skewed. A healthy competition would see the best teams play each other on merit. But that is not how the GAA seems to work at intercounty level.

You would not see a Senior Dublin club play an intermediate club in the championship.

I'd prefer the club league and championship now after this year. Watched so much of it via web players etc.
    Intercounty is dead.
    We will hold Dublin until 50 mins again and then it will be 8 point win. Hopeful to think otherwise

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

corny wrote: »
    McEntee had nothing to say and Gilroy wouldn't shut the **** up. Neither advanced the debate in any way.

Why didn't rte produce the facts if they exist. All I read is on these forums but haven't a clue if it's true or false.

Mcantee was like a lad dealing with the school bully. Gilroy nearly laughed at his own comments

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Kildare beat Mayo beat in 2108 in the championship. Thats not murdering kildare
    2018 Meath lost by 1 point to Tyrone in championship
    2019 Meath lost by 2 points to Donegal in Ballyboefey (a game Meath dominated til 63rd min until freak goal)
    2019 Meath lost by 2 points to Donegal in league final. Meath were much better team in first half with 5 up at half time.
    2020 Meath lost by 1 point to Mayo
    2020 Meath lost by 2 points to Galway
    2020 Meath lost by 3 points to kerry
    2020 Meath lost by 4 points to Dublin
    2020 Meath drew with Monaghan

Yes Meath are not beating top teams, but Meath are going toe to toe for 70 seconds and top teams are struggling to beat a very young team with so many 19 and 20 and 21 year olds.,

Fair enough meath are young and I note you are only basing it on a few years.
    Are most of those league games 2020 it seems? Because if it is league it proves my point better games then championship.

Meath are not quite division 1 but are close but the gap is still there. Between them and the top 7 consistent league teams (over the last 10 years) Kerry Dublin Mayo Galway Donegal Monaghan. In whatever order you wish to put them.

Look at the gaps in Leinster championship among unequal league teams over a 10 year period how many were wallopings? What is the point of that for either team?

Anyway the GAA need a shake up and do the obvious if people don't like it tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

corny wrote: »
    That was a good debate wasn't it!

Brutal. McStay made a very valid point in the one before it re travel expenses. It’s a line often trotted out by a few dubs on here that other counties are spending similar amounts to Dublin, but for the western and north western, 50% of that is spent on getting players to training, an expense Dublin don’t have. Other counties are having to go cap in hand to supporters every year to buy raffle tickets to ‘keep up’.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

What is the point of a competition, be it league or championship, to find out the best team when we know the best team for now, for next year for years to come.

What is the point of a competition, be it league or championship, to find out the best team when we know the best team for now, for next year for years to come.

Not so the league. Since 2000 Dublin have only won it 6 times.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer the club league and championship now after this year. Watched so much of it via web players etc.
    Intercounty is dead.
    We will hold Dublin until 50 mins again and then it will be 8 point win. Hopeful to think otherwise

More than likely this is what will happen. Maybe it is good in a way it will make the league number one.

Imagine a league played in nice weather! Home and Away.

Anway I am signing off before I end up on a one man protest outside CP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

fullstop wrote: »
    Brutal. McStay made a very valid point in the one before it re travel expenses. It’s a line often trotted out by a few dubs on here that other counties are spending similar amounts to Dublin, but for the western and north western, 50% of that is spent on getting players to training, an expense Dublin don’t have. Other counties are having to go cap in hand to supporters every year to buy raffle tickets to ‘keep up’.

What I wonder is that if Dublin have similar expenses to these counties and don't have the same travel costs (I think 40% of Corks expenses is travel), then what are they actually spending the money on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

That was some debate!

So to conclude with need to provide more funding to Dublin GAA. As the GAA have limited finance that means we have to divert money from elsewhere. Sorry Leinster Development Project!

You just gotta laugh Dublin have the GAA by the balls.

More than likely this is what will happen. Maybe it is good in a way it will make the league number one.

Imagine a league played in nice weather! Home and Away.

Anway I am signing off before I end up on a one man protest outside CP!

I'll join you for the final. I'll bring the cans 😉😂

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    That was some debate!

So to conclude with need to provide more funding to Dublin GAA. As the GAA have limited finance that means we have to divert money from elsewhere. Sorry Leinster Development Project!

You just gotta laugh Dublin have the GAA by the balls.

It's not only a football issue but a political issue in the sense the majority of resources in the country seem to go to Dublin.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    It's not only a football issue but a political issue in the sense the majority of resources in the country seem to go to Dublin.

Some would say because the majority of taxes are raised in Dublin.

Some would say because the majority of taxes are raised in Dublin.

And that's because the majority of resources go there in the first place..

JeffKenna wrote: »
    And that's because the majority of resources go there in the first place..

Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

fullstop wrote: »

I'm all for equalising inter county spends. Preparation and Performance Analysis can be bought and Dublin are in the driving seat when it comes to this.

I'm sure there are teams in Ireland who haven't a clue why they lose in games.

I saw a piece on what makes Jurgen Klopp so good and they focused on the work of the backroom team he has. Teams of people analyse every touch, every pass in a game and monitor the outcome. They are able to tell you when you're in a certain zone of the pitch you're statistically favoured if you pass the ball to your left! Mind blowing detail. I'm sure Dublin are at this level.

• Advertisement

Good luck to you and yes you're right a senior club wouldn't play an intermediate club which is why club championships are better, fairer competitions.

Inter county football is broken and there's no fixing it in the short term. Its wasting everyones time - players, supporters, etc. Theres too many disparities in population, funding, setups and so on. And its now decided by who has the best sports scientists behind them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement