Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jackboy

Eod100 wrote: »
    ''As a compromise to Nphet, the Government said it will have stricter rules on household gatherings over Christmas.

Household visits will be banned until on December 18 and will only be permitted after that until January 3. Inter county travel will also be permitted in this time period as will religious services.''

Neither really can be enforced, I don't see many waiting from 1st and not to 18th to visit other households.

A great way to really open things up while pretending to have restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

A good question to have posed tonight is can the country tolerate a higher caseload, given that hospitalisation and deaths are much lower this time around.

If we can tolerate higher cases then the case for reopening becomes stronger.

So many unknowns in that, depends how many cases there are, what demographics are primarily affected, etc.

Also assumes healthcare workers will be there no matter what but could be out sick (covid or none), rostered off due to Christmas. After such a tough year for them they're entitled to any limited time off they can get over Christmas of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Cabinet Committee agrees to allow pubs and restaurants to open

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/cabinet-committee-agrees-to-allow-pubs-and-restaurants-to-open-39797191.html

That seems like a decent compromise but the devil is in the detail

Awful news. Going to be a complete mess in January and February in the hospitals. Feel desperately bad for our doctors and nurses. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

hmmm wrote: »
    I was responding to the poster who seems to think Europe is opening everything and we are some sort of laggard.

Fair enough, but if Germany,France,or Spain had our numbers do you think they would be agonising over whether or not to open Restaurants.It would not even be a matter of debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

quartz1 wrote: »
    Well we know who to blame in January .

The government will probably just blame the public tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

People are crossing county boundaries every day of the week to visit friends, relatives and partners. NPHET are away with the fairies, most people aren't taking their bull**** seriously anymore, anyone who is taking them seriously is a bit simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

quartz1 wrote: »
    Well we know who to blame in January .

Who.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭giveitholly

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Awful news. Going to be a complete mess in January and February in the hospitals. Feel desperately bad for our doctors and nurses. :(

Well maybe if our doctors wore masks at work things might not be as bad,Had an appointment with a consultant two weeks ago and neither him or the junior doctor wore a mask while I had my meeting with him,I was very surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Happy christmas lads. I’m dying for a bowl of chicken wings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Sends out the wrong message entirely I think. "Go mad for a few weeks, and then back into lockdown for a few weeks afterwards to make up for it". Crazy, it's like pretending you can control a wild animal in your home. I feel sorry for our hospital staff and public health people.

• Advertisement

They have been the quietest in years, our trolley numbers have never been this low. I'm sure they will be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

niallo27 wrote: »
    Who.

Restaurants, people going to restaurants and anyone to do with opening restaurants, of course.

Sends out the wrong message entirely I think. "Go mad for a few weeks, and then back into lockdown for a few weeks afterwards to make up for it". Crazy, it's like pretending you can control a wild animal in your home. I feel sorry for our hospital staff and public health people.

What do you want them to do, stay permanently locked down. Do you not feel sorry for the thousands out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

some plan.
    Let everyone get who wants to get drunk do what they want for december,

While lives will now be lost & another lockdown in January. Unforgiveble stuff from this disgraceful goverment.

They have been the quietest in years, our trolley numbers have never been this low. I'm sure they will be OK.

I was in A&E a good few times throughout this year and all the doctors and nurses said the same. It was dead quiet. They were enjoying the calmness, but were very concerned that there are huge numbers of people who are not being treated for non-COVID illnesses. NPHET don't really give a **** about public health when it comes to non-COVID illnesses though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    You can't keep everything shut either

Businesses need to trade, people need to see friends, family, partners in other counties especially after over 2 months of lockdown

I don't disagree with you on any of that .

But opening all up is a mistake at this time.

If it was going to be enforced properly ,I would say ok .

But we have been here a couple of times before .
    Nothing is enforced , and when the proverbial hits the fan everyone starts blaming NPHET ,the hospitals ,the HSE ,the government , the buskers , etc and this will be unenforceable now because , sure its Christmas .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 didyoufart?

MD1990 wrote: »
    some plan.
    Let everyone get who wants to get drunk do what they want for december,

While lives will now be lost & another lockdown in January. Unforgiveble stuff from this disgraceful goverment.

Everything should open back up in the country and let the over 65s and those with underlying conditions cocoon until they get vacinne. Sorry but should be done.

The nursing homes situation is scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What do you want them to do, stay permanently locked down. Do you not feel sorry for the thousands out of work.

He doesn't have an answer, it seems to be stay locked down in order to avoid being locked down in the future.

This isn't living, and the way our rights are being removed at a moments notice is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

Well maybe do your part by drinking a gallon of mouthwash,cover yourself in hand sanitizer and hide under the bed until it’s all over.

We will call you then, I swear 😷

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Gastropubs and restaurants were open all summer and the sky didn't fall.

Death rates hardly rose at all. People need to get a grip with the hand wringing and pearl clutching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The facts are clear - countries which better control the virus have had better economic outcomes.

People are not going to visit pubs and restaurants when the virus is spreading at high numbers, we have seen twice now that people start restricting their own activities even before a lockdown is announced. How many times do we have to see the same pattern repeated?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Did you think they'd honestly stop household gatherings? At least restaurants might curb some people from meeting longer than they would have otherwise.

People are going to meet over Christmas so it's far better to accept that and try their best to work out scenarios to handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

D.Q wrote: »
    Gastropubs and restaurants were open all summer and the sky didn't fall.

Death rates hardly rose at all. People need to get a grip with the hand wringing and pearl clutching.

Cases were a fraction of what they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    ''As a compromise to Nphet, the Government said it will have stricter rules on household gatherings over Christmas.

Household visits will be banned until on December 18 and will only be permitted after that until January 3. Inter county travel will also be permitted in this time period as will religious services.''

Neither really can be enforced, I don't see many waiting from 1st and not to 18th to visit other households.

Yup quite difficult that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Cases were a fraction of what they are now.

Cases mean sweet **** all. Why is that the metric that matters. Hospitals weren't overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,901 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Is the the conclusive evidence on spread of the virus in schools from the study that focused on parts of India and had nothing stronger than the below to say on schools?
    The main focus of this is on super spreaders, and kids according to that study are super spreaders and a huge part of the spread in the home.
    So they pick it up it school then spread it around the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

The facts are clear - countries which better control the virus have had better economic outcomes.

People are not going to visit pubs and restaurants when the virus is spreading at high numbers, we have seen twice now that people start restricting their own activities even before a lockdown is announced. How many times do we have to see the same pattern repeated?

OK...

So if people aren't going to visit pubs and restaurants, what are you worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You must live in a different city to me because every restaurant near me in Dublin was booked out from the day they opened until the day they were told to shut.

There are literally queues outside pubs in Rathmines and Ranelagh for takeaway pints in the freezing cold. The demand is absolutely there

Let people take personal responsibility. Nobody is being forced to go into a pub or a restaurant. If you don't want to go to one, fantastic, stay the **** at home. But don't force pro-lockdown views on everyone else if they are prepared to take personal responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

titan18 wrote: »
    It's Christmas tbf so Passion of the Christ would seem more appropriate

Yeah too bad that post and a few of my other ones mysteriously disappeared even though there wasn't much wrong with them. One of life's mysteries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement