Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why are you getting so offended? The fact you don't seem to understand reproduction rate shows you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
    One day Ireland had a reproduction rate of 1.5
    Last week Ireland had a reproduction rate of ~0.7
    Big difference, bud.
    Not replying anymore cos you seem to be having a moody day or something.

How am I offended? You refuse to understand how 1000 cases is a possibility and you claim no one provides any reasoning. When the reasoning is provided you then refuse to read it and then refuse to reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Rte are shameless cheerleaders for NPHET

George Lee almost crying on the news

Apparently we're not fit enough at the moment to go two steps at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Sharon Ni Bheolain pissing herself laughing at George Lee’s Doom-mongering....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Sharon Ni Bheolain pissing herself laughing at George Lee’s Doom-mongering....

Link? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ixoy wrote: »
    There's no chance around the household visiting and inter-county travel. Everyone I know of, who have been very compliant to this point, are travelling for Christmas to see family. Now a good few are cancelling mixing large numbers of households but they're all moving about. NPHET won't get their way here, no matter what they say.
    Yep, waste of time saying not to do that.

TBH they need to do more on advice and less on restrictions right now. Tell people what safe behaviours are and what aren't. It can't just be Luke O'Neill emphasising the importance of ventilation. Wave at each other from the garden.

We're probably going to have 2, maybe 3 vaccines signed off before Christmas. Small volumes, but it will be front page news with pictures of them being literally loaded onto planes. This is an opportunity to tell people to double-down on being careful, because vaccines are only around the corner.

And I think opening indoor hospitality is mental. We run the risk of a huge spike in the new year, because we know there will be an increase anyway from household visits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Rte are shameless cheerleaders for NPHET

George Lee almost crying on the news

Apparently we're not fit enough at the moment to go two steps at a time

I think it's time George was advised to go and isolate on one of the small uninhabited islands off the coast and let the actual health correspondent take over.

[PHP][/PHP]
    funnydoggy wrote: »

RTE1+1 in about 55 minutes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

funnydoggy wrote: »

His analogy of the stairs was hilarious - not in a good way

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    His analogy of the stairs was hilarious - not in a good way

The look on her face was priceless :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I wonder what will America look like tomorrow with black Friday? Will there be the usual crowds trying to get in the doors or will social distancing be maintained, not that they were very great at it to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

pjohnson wrote: »
    How am I offended? You refuse to understand how 1000 cases is a possibility and you claim no one provides any reasoning. When the reasoning is provided you then refuse to read it and then refuse to reply?
    You provided some random sum that a randomer posted which doesn't take into account:
    1) Reproduction rate
    2) Serial interval
    3) The date on which restrictions are loosened

And you question why I don't accept it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

In the last 6 months between May the 24th and november the 25th we have had over 65 percent of the total cases 46555 out of 71187 and only 21 percent of the deaths. Also total icu admissions are only 20 percent for the same period.

What modeling technique are nphet using for icu and deaths because to my eye its figures are way off. Doesn't add up and doesn't install confidence in them at all.

You provided some random sum that a randomer posted which doesn't take into account:
    1) Reproduction rate
    2) Serial interval
    3) The date on which restrictions are loosened

And you question why I don't accept it?

What Kermit actually originally posted was “Well in excess” of 1000 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

niallo27 wrote: »
    Are the rest of Europe completely irresponsible for letting their population have some bit of a life before locking down again for short periods. Look at the UK today letting fans back in stadium's, fans already back in a lot of European countries. Why are we so Conservative in our thinking, if some people on here lived in other European countries they would lose their ****.
    Surely there's a better example you could pick? I don't think anyone (maybe some politicians) would claim the UK handled things well..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ficheall wrote: »
    Surely there's a better example you could pick? I don't think anyone (maybe some politicians) would claim the UK handled things well..

They are following the rest of Europe though and giving their population something to look forward to, I did mention the rest of Europe as well not just the UK. People constantly have a go at the UK but what does their population think, are they constantly looking for harsher restrictions or are they happy with the restrictions they have.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yes I put it up.

Apologies, missed a bit of the thread this afternoon. I have now read the article and the full study the the article is based on

Is the the conclusive evidence on spread of the virus in schools from the study that focused on parts of India and had nothing stronger than the below to say on schools?
    Nonetheless, our analyses suggest that social interactions among children may be conducive to transmission in this setting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

I've just had the boards.ie censor my right to free speech in asking a question about covid lockdown.

Lockdown works.

But it seems to me that the majority of people on here, which hopefully don't represent the nation, are anti-lockdown and have some pretty stupid concrete thoughts about so called covid 'facts' etc.. well I ask you then wtf nphet exists, maybe they should just disband eh?

If people wore masks, together with 2 or 3 metre distancing, we wouldn't need lockdown. Look outside, nobody on the street wears masks.

Wait until covid comes for you and your family. You might take it a bit more seriously then.

I wouldn't take the thoughts of a few cranks on here as a good representation of the pulse of the nation :D. The vast majority support the wonderful good job NPHET and the government are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

niallo27 wrote: »
    They are following the rest of Europe though and giving their population something to look forward to, I did mention the rest of Europe as well not just the UK. People constantly have a go at the UK but what does their population think, are they constantly looking for harsher restrictions or are they happy with the restrictions they have.
    Germany's lockdown runs to Dec 20, and Merkel said today it will be extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭normanoffside

pjohnson wrote: »
    Really? You cant see Benimars post? Maybe too many words

*One day Ireland had 196 cases.
    *28 days later Ireland had 1000 cases.

*Today we have over 300 cases
    *28 days later its quite possible we can get 1000 cases based on actual data that shows we managed to do it before.

That help you understand? Or is this just going back to a case of ignoring whats right in front of you, And then saying thats theres no one providing any reasoning for supporting NPHET solely because you ignore it?

Who really cares about cases though?
    We had well over 1000 cases a day for a while and despite an apocalyptic prediction of hospitalisations we never had more than 300 odd in hospital 'with covid' (the majority catching it inside the hospital).
    That's less than 3% of our public hospital beds.

So bring on the 1000 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Am I the only one who thinks Tony Holohan is really diligently doing his job currently in the face of massive adversity?

Listening to the radio this afternoon it really felt like it.

Granted he did do a terrible job with cervical check, and the nursing homes at the beginning of covid, but other than the massive loss of life that caused by those, blinder.

Government would do well to take NPHET's guidance fully on board tomorrow and not do a 180 in a fortnight because they didn't take the public health advice and the situation is dire.

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    Germany's lockdown runs to Dec 20, and Merkel said today it will be extended.

Is retail closed in Germany, are they limited to 5km. Are they limited to no household visits.

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Tony Holohan is really diligently doing his job currently in the face of massive adversity?

Granted he did do a terrible job with cervical check, and the nursing homes at the beginning of covid, but other than the massive loss of life that caused by those, blinder.

Government would do well to take NPHET's guidance fully on board tomorrow and not do a 180 in a fortnight because they didn't take the public health advice and the situation is dire.

Yes, you are the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

NPHET are the doctor.

The government, and the country by extension, are the patient.

The question being asked of NPHET is, should we go on the lash over the Crimbo.

What would you expect a doctor to advise in the case? I'm glad NEPHT are sticking to their principles and not succumbing to populist pressure. It shows they have balls and integrity, and have the best interests of the country at heart, from a public health perspective.

Now back to the government. Most right minded people knows the answer to the question should you go on the lash over the Christmas. OF COURSE YOU SHOULD. You know you are going to pay for it later but you accept that.

Both groups are trying to do the right thing. Both are making the correct call considering their position. But make no mistake about it we will pay for it later. Think about it. People shoulder to shoulder in shopping centers doing the last of the shopping, genitals to ass in pubs having a proper shindig and making up for lost time. Spike city.

The real dip-twits in all this are the extremists who hate evil conspiring Tony and his NEPHET gang or detest MM and Leo et. al. Some right uptight paranoid clowns, on this tread, on both sides of the argument, who shouldn't be let near the internet. Sometimes the 'truth' is a mess somewhere around the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

Granted he did do a terrible job with cervical check, and the nursing homes at the beginning of covid, but other than the massive loss of life that caused by those, blinder..

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's irrelevant to the topic we were discussing.
    Cases occurring in 10-14 days time were seeded during level 5.

We're not going to see restaurants open next Wednesday and a case increase the day after, not how it works.

Nobody said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

Wombatman wrote: »
    genitals to ass in pubs having a proper shindig and making up for lost time. Spike city.

BelatedWhiteChital-max-1mb.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Yeah once you ignore all the dead people Tony's a brilliant chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

If people won't engage in honest debate and at least acknowledge the fact that if restrictions are eased around holiday period that cases can and will rise, numerically, then there's no point engaging. If we're arguing over the difference of a week then it's academic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

What signalling nonsense from stains on prime time.mask on for show then off and I didn’t see him put it in a fcuking plastic bag.these lads are destroying people,the economy and the mental health of its citizens.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

If people won't engage in honest debate and at least acknowledge the fact that if restrictions are eased around holiday period that cases can and will rise, numerically, then there's no point engaging. If we're arguing over the difference of a week then it's academic.

You can make that excuse even if you wait till after Christmas and new year to open up. 'ah sure people will be mad to get out after Christmas another few weeks' etc. When do you plan on opening up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement