Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

Sounds like no pubs or restaurants open the way he's tee-ing this up.

Every publican in the land should open simultaneously. Twud be some headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Sounds like the government will cave in to NPHET going by McGrath here

They said the other day they can't please everyone so not sure exactly what else you want him to say.

Some things will be more palatable to some than others.

What does seem to be a common theme though with even the most reasonable people that I know have followed all the guidance so far is that they think NPHET went too far today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Miriam on about lives lost if you don't follow NPHET advice

RTE are shameless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

ElJeffe wrote: »
    It's hard on them but they have to realize it's for the common good.

Would you give up your livelihood without a fight for the 'common good' or is that a job for everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A negative test 72 hours before arrival as a condition of travel here would be better than any quarantine.

I think negative test before and after arriving myself. Quarantine or restrict movement until you get the negative result, which hopefully would only be 2/3 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Listening to McGrath sounds like they might cave on the restaurants opening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ElJeffe wrote: »
    It's hard on them but they have to realize it's for the common good.
    How is the economy and people's livelihoods not part of the 'common good'? When was that excluded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

They said the other day they can't please everyone so not sure exactly what else you want him to say.

Some things will be more palatable to some than others

I'd love to see local restaurants and gastro pubs open for December and I'd be happy to have a quieter Christmas Day than normal.

I'm also 5 months out of work now so I really want to see the economy pick up. Its crap for everyone. Not going to lie, I don't envy the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

titan18 wrote: »
    I think negative test before and after arriving myself. Quarantine or restrict movement until you get the negative result, which hopefully would only be 2/3 days

Could be hard to track them down, might need some kind of deposit of €500 if they are a no show for the 2nd test.

Ideally if the country they will be going back to insisted on it also then they would be inclined to be careful here around potential exposure to the virus or be stuck here for 2 weeks after testing positive.

I'm guessing you'd want it replaced with an airing of Schindler's list to really cheer everyone up.

It's Christmas tbf so Passion of the Christ would seem more appropriate

• Advertisement

Some things will be more palatable to some than others.

What does seem to be a common theme though with even the most reasonable people that I know have followed all the guidance so far is that they think NPHET went too far today

TBF as the interview went on he did seem to soften a bit going on about 1000, 000 jobs lost etc but it was predicated on health advice no 1 as he knows what the sub committee will recommend tomorrow

If the government don't stand up to NPHET this time they never will imo

Just going by that interview I'd be betting no pubs and restaurants and the government caving into NPHET

I'd like to be wrong though

Could be hard to track them down, might need some kind of deposit of €500 if they are a no show for the 2nd test.

Ideally if the country they will be going back to insisted on it also then they would be inclined to be careful here around potential exposure to the virus or be stuck here for 2 weeks after testing positive.

Ideally, you'd test them as they come off the flight. Sure, you can't realistically force them to restrict movement or quarantine (unless we go heavy handed) but enough will do it to lessen the risk enough.

Could also do those antigen ones as if they already have a negative test before arrival, then you're really only testing if they got it in between that test and the airport. It'd be better than nothing imo, and would eliminate a large amount of risk.

I think we all know you can appeal people to not come home, but its probably not realistic to block Irish citizens from returning so just have to do something to eliminate as much risk as can

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sounds like the government will cave in to NPHET going by McGrath here

I didn't think so, said government has a duty to take into account all the other factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

Cabinet committee to allow restaurants and gastropubs to open.

- Independent push notification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

Also stricter rules on house gatherings. None til the 18th. As a compromise to NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

hmmm wrote: »
    Germany's lockdown runs to Dec 20, and Merkel said today it will be extended.

Ah come on,our 14 day rate per 100K is 103,Germany 308.If our rate was now running any where near 300 NPHET Would recommend level 5 until Easter.

Eod100 wrote: »
    I didn't think so, said government has a duty to take into account all the other factors.

I hope you're right but I don't think so

He listed more reasons in that interview to go with NPHET than against them for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

A good question to have posed tonight is can the country tolerate a higher caseload, given that hospitalisation and deaths are much lower this time around.

If we can tolerate higher cases then the case for reopening becomes stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

TBF as the interview went on he did seem to soften a bit going on about 1000, 000 jobs lost etc but it was predicated on health advice no 1 as he knows what the sub committee will recommend tomorrow

If the government don't stand up to NPHET this time they never will imo

Just going by that interview I'd be betting no pubs and restaurants and the government caving into NPHET

I'd like to be wrong though

I don't think cases are low enough to cope with the inevitable surge of people Christmas shopping and heading out to gastro bars etc , then a few days later gathering in houses with a few groups .
    Look at what's been happening up North of the border , that is what will happen over Christmas and the New Year .
    Do people really want everything open and to hell with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Cabinet committee to allow restaurants and gastropubs to open.

- Independent push notification

In other words thanks for the advice Nphet but we're in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Ah come on,our 14 day rate per 100K is 103,Germany 308.If our rate was now running any where near 300 NPHET Would recommend level 5 until Easter.
    I was responding to the poster who seems to think Europe is opening everything and we are some sort of laggard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

niallo27 wrote: »
    Are the rest of Europe completely irresponsible for letting their population have some bit of a life before locking down again for short periods. Look at the UK today letting fans back in stadium's, fans already back in a lot of European countries. Why are we so Conservative in our thinking, if some people on here lived in other European countries they would lose their ****.

Because the HSE management are a very expensive joke. Never got their house in order no matter how many billions thrown at it,because of this our capacity is way lower per capita to most OECD countries.

They (management) have really good salary and pensions though, so not so bad!

Cabinet Committee agrees to allow pubs and restaurants to open

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/cabinet-committee-agrees-to-allow-pubs-and-restaurants-to-open-39797191.html

That seems like a decent compromise but the devil is in the detail

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cabinet Committee agrees to allow pubs and restaurants to open

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/cabinet-committee-agrees-to-allow-pubs-and-restaurants-to-open-39797191.html

That seems like a decent compromise but the devil is in the detail

Perhaps a €18 substantial meal needed.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I don't think cases are low enough to cope with the inevitable surge of people Christmas shopping and heading out to gastro bars etc , then a few days later gathering in houses with a few groups .
    Look at what's been happening up North of the border , that is what will happen over Christmas and the New Year .
    Do people really want everything open and to hell with it?

You can't keep everything shut either

Businesses need to trade, people need to see friends, family, partners in other counties especially after over 2 months of lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

''As a compromise to Nphet, the Government said it will have stricter rules on household gatherings over Christmas.

Household visits will be banned until on December 18 and will only be permitted after that until January 3. Inter county travel will also be permitted in this time period as will religious services.''

Neither really can be enforced, I don't see many waiting from 1st and not to 18th to visit other households.

Perhaps a €18 substantial meal needed.

Lol

Can definitely see them reducing no allowed per booking and possibly restaurant capacity overall

Kitchen and chef needed for food so no takeaways etc

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

Well we know who to blame in January .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

A good question to have posed tonight is can the country tolerate a higher caseload, given that hospitalisation and deaths are much lower this time around.

If we can tolerate higher cases then the case for reopening becomes stronger.

That's a good point and true.

What would be the clincher would be the usual seasonal rise in drink related illness, accidents and other respiratory disease on top of the inevitable increase in Covid during this time .

Never a good time in hospital .

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    ''As a compromise to Nphet, the Government said it will have stricter rules on household gatherings over Christmas.

Household visits will be banned until on December 18 and will only be permitted after that until January 3. Inter county travel will also be permitted in this time period as will religious services.''

Neither really can be enforced, I don't see many waiting from 1st and not to 18th to visit other households.

Yes impossible to enforce really

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement