Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

majcos wrote: »

Just as teachers are not necessarily all tested when someone in their school environment tests positive, in the hospital environment, many staff have never been tested even once despite caring for patients with Covid and being exposed to unsuspected cases with perhaps only a mask and no other PPE who subsequently test positive.

I disagree with this.
    I posted a while ago how my sister who works in a hospital and wears masks, came in contact with a doctor who had covid. She reckons there was more than 2 metres between them. They were both wearing a mask and another doctor was between them also wearing a mask. My sister was tested 3 times in 7 days all negative tg. On the other hand. I spent over an hour 2 days running with a child who was covid positive, I had a mask child didn't and we were sitting about 90cm apart, either side of a desk. I was not considered a close contact. Public Health Consultant Dr, Abigail Colllins HSE has stated they are very conservative when identifying school close contacts. Another public health consultant on Twitter made an argument tha this was because who would mind the child if both parents are working and child has to isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

I posted this a few days ago, I thought it might be worth mentioning again.

There have been over 2,400 cases detected in schools in Northern Ireland since the start of term in August until the end of the first week of November.

All 39 of NI's special schools had at least one positive case.

What is ROI doing differently in relation to precautions in schools? Short answer is I dont know.
    Not sure if you think that is a high or low number. There are about 340,000 students in Northern Ireland so it doesn’t seem particularly high or unexpected to me especially considering the overall rates in NI.

Cases in all schools with children with special needs is not surprising. It might be just one case in some of those schools. Children with special needs may have more contacts and more close contact with those contacts due to their needs. Some may require assistance with dressing and toileting etc. that a child of the same age without special needs would not need. Some may not be able to understand need for social distancing or wearing a mask. They have more contact with healthcare workers and healthcare environments so that increases their risk as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

According to this, only 64 of Our current hospitalised cases came into Hospital with covid.

The other 211 acquired it in hospital.

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1330122887785828352

khalessi wrote: »
    I disagree with this.
    I posted a while ago how my sister who works in a hospital and wears masks, came in contact with a doctor who had covid. She reckons there was more than 2 metres between them. They were both wearing a mask and another doctor was between them also wearing a mask. My sister was tested 3 times in 7 days all negative tg. On the other hand. I spent over an hour 2 days running with a child who was covid positive, I had a mask child didn't and we were sitting about 90cm apart, either side of a desk. I was not considered a close contact. Public Health Consultant Dr, Abigail Colllins HSE has stated they are very conservative when identifying school close contacts. Another public health consultant on Twitter made an argument tha this was because who would mind the child if both parents are working and child has to isolate.
    These are specific instances. Practices and interpretation of guidelines can differ (sometimes incorrectly) among individuals and departments. I am talking about the overall HSE occupational health policy.

Based on the HSE guidelines, your sister should not have been tested based on that instance alone. Perhaps someone misinterpreted the guidelines in her case but that is not the policy. If there was an outbreak within her department, it may have been decided to do more widespread testing across the whole department but she did not meet the criteria based on the one protected contact you are describing.

My reading of HSE documents, she would have been considered a casual contact and would not have been tested. I am not saying if this is right or wrong but this is what is in HSE occupational health procedural guidelines.

If child was asymptomatic, that may be why you are not considered a close contact. The same applies in hospitals. If an asymptomatic patient tests positive on routine surveillance such as a patient admitted for a hernia repair, hospital staff are not considered as a close contact either if that staff member was wearing a mask as you were with no other PPE. This is the case even if the positive patient was not wearing a mask and time spent in close proximity was more than 15 minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Why wouldn't those close to an asymptomatic covid positive patient be deemed a close contact for testing without masks and spending more than 15 minutes together? Something is wrong with that scenario, too. Surely this is contributing to the reason we have clusters in hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

According to this, only 64 of Our current hospitalised cases came into Hospital with covid.

Very interesting. Why the feck is this not being reported on by rte and the like?

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Why wouldn't those close to an asymptomatic covid positive patient be deemed a close contact for testing without masks and spending more than 15 minutes together? Something is wrong with that scenario, too. Surely this is contributing to the reason we have clusters in hospitals.
    If staff member is not wearing a mask and they spent more than 15 minutes less than 1 metre apart, they would be considered a close contact.

If patient not wearing a mask, but the staff member is, the staff member is not considered a close contact as long as that particular patient is asymptomatic.

The staff member is deemed a casual contact and can remain at work unless becomes symptomatic. Advised to self monitor for 14 days after last casual contact scenario.

As to wisdom of these guidelines, I am not sure but that is the current guideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

If staff member is not wearing a mask and they spent more than 15 minutes less than 1 metre apart, they would be considered a close contact.

If patient not wearing a mask, but the staff member is, the staff member is not considered a close contact as long as that particular patient is asymptomatic.

The staff member is deemed a casual contact and can remain at work unless becomes symptomatic. Advised to self monitor for 14 days after last casual contact scenario.

As to wisdom of these guidelines, I am not sure but that is the current guideline.

Child wasnt well in school I found out after from class teacher and regardless, was found to be positive, therefore close contacts should have been tested as per guidelines. In other sectors due to closeness and length of time of contact 2 hours over 2 days at 90cm I should have been tested

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

You’ll never ever ever see the media talk about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Cork2021

That’s crazy shît right there!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Would the main reason be due to there not being enough teacher's/subs to work through quarantines, and the lack of a hybrid style remote learning plan, cost and scope of more robust testing, or am I missing something else?

So basically, there are problems-expensive problems-that need to be dealt with and that have possible solutions but our government are not willing to put in the money, time and effort? Why are the media complicit-are pockets lined or what?

khalessi wrote: »
    Child wasnt well in school I found out after from class teacher and regardless, was found to be positive, therefore close contacts should have been tested as per guidelines. In other sectors due to closeness and length of time of contact 2 hours over 2 days at 90cm I should have been tested
    Yes. Not arguing that you should not have been tested. I think more testing in these scenarios would be wise. Was just comparing that if that type of contact happened in a hospital, you may not have been tested either. You would be classed as a casual contact.

In hospitals, if asymptomatic patient became symptomatic, risk assessment should be redone. Casual contact status might then be changed to close contact based on the particular scenario such as contact with bodily fluids, presence during an aerosol generating procedure, etc. But it may still after this second assessment, be classed as a casual contact situation.

I think many would be surprised by how much HCW contact with confirmed positive cases is not considered as close contact even when very minimal PPE is in use. Maybe it explains why so many HCWs are testing positive and why number of hospital acquired infections have increased. (BTW, not to Conor’s figures but it has unfortunately increased).

That's astonishing, bordering on a national scandal. RTÉ won't touch it with a barge pole, their primary concern is bashing pubs and retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭political analyst

If someone has symptoms that might be of Covid and stays at home for the necessary length of time but doesn't become severely ill, then I don't see the necessity of informing his or her GP. Informing the GP causes unnecessary anxiety to other people and inflates the statistics, thus making the situation seem worse than it actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

If someone has symptoms that might be of Covid and stays at home for the necessary length of time but doesn't become severely ill, then I don't see the necessity of informing his or her GP. Informing the GP causes unnecessary anxiety to other people and inflates the statistics, thus making the situation seem worse than it actually is.

Isolation when sick is the most important bit for sure. I disagree about not contacting GP. Covid can be an illness that comes and goes in stages. Covid might first appear mild like a cold or a headache and then a week or 2 later there's potential for symptoms to get worse. You're going to need a support network if it gets worse and GP will be included in that network.

Perhaps but only if that person has had absolutely zero contacts and has been living in total isolation but if that was the case how could that person have contracted it?

I think there is a moral obligation to be tested if symptomatic or deemed a close contact even if person themselves is low risk as this allows tracing and others to isolate and protect their contacts.

I would be extremely angry if one of my contacts did not tell me they had Covid/ or suspected they had Covid and didn’t bother to be tested and then I carried it without knowing to someone else more vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Informing the GP will get the person tested and if positive, the virus is tracked and traced and the stats updated so that we ALL know where we are.

One again, it's not just the effects and consequence for the specific individual that is of concern here.

Your suggestion is a selfish approach that does not help the overall effort to try and reduce the spread of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

That's astonishing, bordering on a national scandal. RTÉ won't touch it with a barge pole, their primary concern is bashing pubs and retail.

Hey Bertie. Do you have a link to his data source for this claim? I'm on mobile and trying to find it using my phone is driving me insane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm not sure on the data.
    Going back to when we had very few in hospital (5 August)
    The same day we had 17 in hospital, 3 admissions and zero discharges.
    The next day we then had 10 in hospital (a difference of 10, I doubt that would have been 10 deaths)
    6th August we had 10 in hospital, zero admissions and 5 discharges.
    The next day we then had 11 in hospital (that's hardly going to be 6 hospital acquired?)

Miike wrote: »
    Hey Bertie. Do you have a link to his data source for this claim? I'm on mobile and trying to find it using my phone is driving me insane!!

That's the link to the csv file.
    I wonder if anyone can make sense of it.
    https://opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/fe9bb23592ec4142a4f4c2c9bd32f749_0.csv

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I'm not sure on the data.
    Going back to when we had very few in hospital (5 August)
    The same day we had 17 in hospital, 3 admissions and zero discharges.
    The next day we then had 10 in hospital (a difference of 10, I doubt that would have been 10 deaths)
    6th August we had 10 in hospital, zero admissions and 5 discharges.
    The next day we then had 11 in hospital (that's hardly going to be 6 hospital acquired?)

As I said on another thread, the twitter guy doesn't seem to have agendas and produces lots of stats which look spot on.

Someone really needs to pose these questions in a presser or somewhere else so that we know if it's accurate or not.
    No-one is asking these types of questions; it's frustrating.

Look at this comment from a GP in the replies.
    One way or another the HSE are making things worse than they are.

https://twitter.com/drvkeating/status/1330140824789725184

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

https://twitter.com/IsabelO20183051/status/1330132331613609986?s=19

701 HCWs infected in the past two weeks according to the HSpc

As I said on another thread, the twitter guy doesn't seem to have agendas and produces lots of stats which look spot on.

Someone really needs to pose these questions in a presser or somewhere else so that we know if it's accurate or not.
    No-one is asking these types of questions; it's frustrating.

Look at this comment from a GP in the replies.
    One way or another the HSE are making things worse than they are.

https://twitter.com/drvkeating/status/1330140824789725184

There's definitely hospital outbreaks causing serious issues for sure. You can see that in the daily reports where a hospital jumps from 10 to 30 patients over night.
    As someone said, the likes of Limerick and Letterkenny hospitals accounting for 25% of all hospital patients.

But using the number in hospital + admissions - discharges is flawed.
    The numbers don't line up even going back to August when we had the numbers in single digits.

Would be nice to have a journalist ask the simple question. Of the ~300 currently in hospital, how many acquired covid in hospital.
    They used to have those figures in the HPSC reports, but that's been missing the past month or so.

I know hospital visits are banned, but is there anything stopping hospital patients from mingling with each other? Hard to be kept stuck on the ward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Saint Tony houlihan is busy working on who new to blame next week.farmers could do with a slap down no doubt from st.tony he’s blamed everyone else.anything to distract from hse incompetence

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

My wife had to bring an elderly relative to hospital in Waterford during the week,she was absolutely gobsmacked at the sheer lack of people there wearing no masks,staff especially

This time last year she was going in there every day as her father was dying and because of the “hospital bug” was told only one at a time could be let in and only if there names were on a list.
    Even with their names on a list,she and her family were often stopped by a over zealous security guard.

This year out there is so different,nearly normal,even with this “deadly “ virus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Stheno wrote: »

That is genuinely scandalous

Wolf359f wrote: »
    That's the link to the csv file.
    I wonder if anyone can make sense of it.
    https://opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/fe9bb23592ec4142a4f4c2c9bd32f749_0.csv
    His data is very flawed. He seems to be as just adding and subtracting admissions and discharges from the previous days’ figures for total hospitalised confirmed cases. It is far more complex than that. (As a a Financial Supply Chain Process Leader/ Process Mining /Chemical Engineer. Walker, Runner, Skier, he doesn’t understand the data or clinical interpretation needed to make a diagnosis.)

A person with Covid after a period of infectivity can remain in hospital but could be reclassified as Covid negative. For example, a person who is in ICU for a few weeks, has recovered and has moved out to a general ward is longer counted in Covid positive numbers as is no longer infectious but remains in hospital due to needing rehabilitation or due to some other medical complication.

On the flip side, someone might be admitted and test negative on initial swab but test positive 24 hours later. They would not be counted in the confirmed positive admissions for their first 24 hour period but would be added to total cases in hospital on overall count the next day. If test positive at over 24 hours but within short time after admission, more likely that patient had contracted it in community but were still incubating and so false negative or viral load was not detected in first sample.

There are cases that are admitted to ICU with very typical inflammatory parameters and x-rays for Covid (who for whatever reason test negative on swab on admissions) and then test positive on samples taken at a bronchoscopy. Not counted on admission but didn’t contract it in hospital.

There are other scenarios too that mean you cannot just add and subtract admissions and discharges and deduce the number of hospital acquired cases.

I do think hospital acquired infection has increased but designating someone as a hospital acquired infection requires an investigation of that patient’s particular circumstances/healthcare journey.

Stheno wrote: »

That is genuinely scandalous
      The figures have been like that for the past 6 weeks and seems to be staying quite level regardless of the number of cases in the community, which is why when you look at HCW's as a % of total cases, it's rising high % wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

It is clear to most that the hospitals just aren't up to standard to deal with this.

It is truly shocking that over the last 2 weeks we have had our health officials target citizens doing low risk activities rather than dealing with the actual issues.

It is frankly disgusting. And I hope some of the media can get together and actually expose what is going on.

• Advertisement

His data is very flawed. He seems to be as just adding and subtracting admissions and discharges from the previous days’ figures for total hospitalised confirmed cases. It is far more complex than that. (As a a Financial Supply Chain Process Leader/ Process Mining /Chemical Engineer. Walker, Runner, Skier, he doesn’t understand the data or clinical interpretation needed to make a diagnosis.)

A person with Covid after a period of infectivity can remain in hospital but could be reclassified as Covid negative. For example, a person who is in ICU for a few weeks, has recovered and has moved out to a general ward is longer counted in Covid positive numbers as is no longer infectious but remains in hospital due to needing rehabilitation or due to some other medical complication.

On the flip side, someone might be admitted and test negative on initial swab but test positive 24 hours later. They would not be counted in the confirmed positive admissions for their first 24 hour period but would be added to total cases in hospital on overall count the next day. If test positive at over 24 hours but within short time after admission, more likely that patient had contracted it in community but were still incubating and so false negative or viral load was not detected in first sample.

There are cases that are admitted to ICU with very typical inflammatory parameters and x-rays for Covid (who for whatever reason test negative on swab on admissions) and then test positive on samples taken at a bronchoscopy. Not counted on admission but didn’t contract it in hospital.

There are other scenarios too that mean you cannot just add and subtract admissions and discharges and deduce the number of hospital acquired cases.

I do think hospital acquired infection has increased but designating someone as a hospital acquired infection requires an investigation of that patient’s particular circumstances/healthcare journey.

I figured it wouldn't be as simple as adding and distracting, however we ca all agree someone should just ask the question that Wolf359f proposed:

Of the ~300 currently in hospital, how many acquired covid in hospital?

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement