Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I figured it wouldn't be as simple as adding and distracting, however we ca all agree someone should just ask the question that Wolf359f proposed:

Of the ~300 currently in hospital, how many acquired covid in hospital?
    The most simple questions are the ones least likely to be asked.
    We could also ask:
    What's the positivity rate per county?
    What's the testing numbers per county?
    Positivity rate in community vs hospitals?
    Are HCWs picking it up in hospital or community?
    Age of people who died?

Etc etc.
    Never ever going to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

That is genuinely scandalous

They're on the front line. It was the same in wave 1.
    Unless we go down the space suit/dedicated infection area protocol this will happen. Ensuring people are not infectious after discharge should be standard though.
    Does anyone have the info/report on the HCW antibody status from September?
    I suppose you don't need PPE if your recovered and thus immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭political analyst

majcos wrote: »
    Perhaps but only if that person has had absolutely zero contacts and has been living in total isolation but if that was the case how could that person have contracted it?

I think there is a moral obligation to be tested if symptomatic or deemed a close contact even if person themselves is low risk as this allows tracing and others to isolate and protect their contacts.

I would be extremely angry if one of my contacts did not tell me they had Covid/ or suspected they had Covid and didn’t bother to be tested and then I carried it without knowing to someone else more vulnerable.

If you maintained social distancing from the rest of your contacts then they won't get the virus from you if you have got it from that contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭political analyst

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Informing the GP will get the person tested and if positive, the virus is tracked and traced and the stats updated so that we ALL know where we are.

One again, it's not just the effects and consequence for the specific individual that is of concern here.

Your suggestion is a selfish approach that does not help the overall effort to try and reduce the spread of the virus.

If those people who the individual has been in contact with after getting the virus from the first contact have taken the necessary precautions when in contact with that individual then they are at no more risk of getting the virus than they are of being struck by lightning in a thunderstorm.

Self-isolation fulfills the public-interest obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Stheno wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/IsabelO20183051/status/1330132331613609986?s=19

701 HCWs infected in the past two weeks according to the HSpc
    It is awful to see so many HCWs being infected but that figure has been high throughout. Percentage of 13.02 is comparable as far as I know to other countries.

A study published in September showed 24.4% of a healthcare cohort tested in UK had antibodies. In Tallaght Hospital study, percentage with antibodies across almost 1200 staff tested between mid July and mid October was 18%. So it’s high but it is not something particular to last few weeks.

Even with PPE, it’s obviously a high risk environment for transmission. Staff cannot avoid close contact with patients and with each other in many situations.

A recent study from UK showed that positivity was lowest in staff in ICU. This was initially a surprise as ICU has some of the sickest Covid patients requiring very close contact care. However, they wear the highest level of PPE. This suggests to me that maybe getting staff who work in even lower risk situations to wear more PPE could reduce HCW and hospital acquired infections. For majority of healthcare staff, the only PPE provided and worn is a mask.

It makes me very disappointed and very very surprised to read the various posts about doctors and other hospital staff not even wearing masks. This is shocking. Definitely suggests that there is room for improvement. It cannot be eliminated completely among HCWs at the moment but more needs to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The most simple questions are the ones least likely to be asked.
    We could also ask:
    What's the positivity rate per county?
    What's the testing numbers per county?
    Positivity rate in community vs hospitals?
    Are HCWs picking it up in hospital or community?

Age of people who died?

Etc etc.
    Never ever going to be asked.

They did show a slide before with positivity rate per county.
    Nolan did reference the positivity rate in the last briefing and it seemed very high at 8% (unless he meant close contacts)
    The HCW breakdown is in the reports, shows what kind of HCW and where it was picked up.https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19casesinhealthcareworkers/COVID-19_HCW_14%2011%202020_v1.0%20website.pdf
    It annoys me, as when asked, they will provide the information, it was like that initially with skant details, but as the media kept asking the details became part of the daily or weekly reports.

I figured it wouldn't be as simple as adding and distracting, however we ca all agree someone should just ask the question that Wolf359f proposed:

Of the ~300 currently in hospital, how many acquired covid in hospital?
    Yes. Absolutely.

And every single hospital acquired infection should be thoroughly investigated with a root cause analysis of the most likely source or point of transmission to try to reduce these occurrences as much as humanly possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

246 positive swabs from 10,408 tests. 2.36% positivity

Great stuff.

I reckon we'll see closer to 300 today as I believe they've held back some from yesterday.

If you maintained social distancing from the rest of your contacts then they won't get the virus from you if you have got it from that contact.
    And what if I’m someone who cannot keep 2 m from my contacts?

Contacts could be in the same house.

There are lots of people who cannot do keep 2m distance because they are providing care to a family member. Think of all the people who need to help someone to the toilet or in and out of bed. Think of all the people who have close contacts because of their work.

Even if people can keep 2m from everybody single person they encounter, that reduces the risk but it doesn’t eliminate it completely and if I knew I was exposed that I might make even more cautious choices in that period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

majcos wrote: »
    Yes. Absolutely.

And every single hospital acquired infection should be thoroughly investigated with a root cause analysis of the most likely source or point of transmission to try to reduce these occurrences as much as humanly possibly.

As we've seen with other epidemics: Once high numbers of healthcare workers in hospital environments start getting infected, it becomes insanely difficult to control. It requires very focused interventions that I have yet to see implemented or attempted on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

cracking positivity rate

Miike wrote: »
    As we've seen with other epidemics: Once high numbers of healthcare workers in hospital environments start getting infected, it becomes insanely difficult to control. It requires very focused interventions that I have yet to see implemented or attempted on the ground
    Yes. Very difficult. Not as if the hospital or nursing home can simply close for a few weeks to break the chains of transmission!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

We now have lowest 7 day positivity rate since October 2nd.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

wadacrack you have been warned about this before, consider this your final warning - stop dumping links in the thread without any commentary or your access to post here will be removed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Ni Numbers. Stop deleting these posts please. Updating people on numbers obviously is fine.

https://twitter.com/vincekearney/status/1330149321690525702

New study published in the National Library of Medicine in the US has recommended mass administration of vitamin D supplements to population at risk for COVID-19.
    COVID-19 is characterized by marked variability in clinical severity. Vitamin D had recently been reviewed as one of the factors that may affect the severity in COVID-19. The objective of current study is to analyze the vitamin D level in COVID-19 patients and its impact on the disease severity. After approval from Ethics Committee, M.L.B Medical College the current study was undertaken as continuous prospective observational study of 6 weeks. Participants were COVID-19 patients of age group 30-60 years admitted during the study period of 6 weeks. Study included either asymptomatic COVID-19 patients (Group A) or severely ill patients requiring ICU admission (Group B). Serum concentration of 25 (OH)D, were measured along with serum IL-6; TNFα and serum ferritin. Standard statistical analysis was performed to analyze the differences. Current Study enrolled 154 patients, 91 in Group A and 63 patients in Group B. The mean level of vitamin D (in ng/mL) was 27.89 ± 6.21 in Group A and 14.35 ± 5.79 in Group B, the difference was highly significant. The prevalence of vitamin D deficiency was 32.96% and 96.82% respectively in Group A and Group B. Out of total 154 patients, 90 patients were found to be deficient in vitamin D (Group A: 29; Group B: 61). Serum level of inflammatory markers was found to be higher in vitamin D deficient COVID-19 patients viz. IL-6 level (in pg/mL) 19.34 ± 6.17 vs 12.18 ± 4.29; Serum ferritin 319.17 ± 38.21 ng/mL vs 186.83 ± 20.18 ng/mL; TNFα level (in pg/mL) 13.26 ± 5.64 vs 11.87 ± 3.15. The fatality rate was high in vitamin D deficient (21% vs 3.1%). Vitamin D level is markedly low in severe COVID-19 patients. Inflammatory response is high in vitamin D deficient COVID-19 patients. This all translates into increased mortality in vitamin D deficient COVID-19 patients. As per the flexible approach in the current COVID-19 pandemic authors recommend mass administration of vitamin D supplements to population at risk for COVID-19.
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33214648/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭prunudo

Great stuff.

I reckon we'll see closer to 300 today as I believe they've held back some from yesterday.

Ah they wouldn't do that, would they :pac:

Great to see numbers continuing to come down. I still take daily numbers with a pinch of salt though, much better to get an overall picture from the 7 or 14 day averages. And they're going the right way which is the main thing albeit slower than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

If those people who the individual has been in contact with after getting the virus from the first contact have taken the necessary precautions when in contact with that individual then they are at no more risk of getting the virus than they are of being struck by lightning in a thunderstorm.

Self-isolation fulfills the public-interest obligation.

No it doesn't. If you are positive but isolate without being tested, have mild symptoms and recover.... bully for you, but we (wider society) have lost data in the fight to keep everyone else safe as your case and it's associated factors go unrecorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

New study published in the National Library of Medicine in the US has recommended mass administration of vitamin D supplements to population at risk for COVID-19.

This is a simple thing that people can do to help protect themselves. Lots of studies now saying the same thing that Vit D can have a huge impact on a persons ability to resist the virus and their survival rates.

It seems to be one of the easiest things to do but have not heard much from the Irish authorities about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

Great stuff.

I thought there was more positive swabs reported over the last 10 days or so than positive cases announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Cork2021

eigrod wrote: »
    I thought there was more positive swabs reported over the last 10 days or so than positive cases announced?

Under 200 today I reckon!

eigrod wrote: »
    380 yesterday with 330 reported?

It’s definitely interesting but pre-existing Vitamin D deficiency is in itself a confounding factor in assessing inflammatory response and clinical outcomes. Study is from India. Although they note a statistically significant difference in vitamin D levels between the two groups, the Vitamin D levels in asymptomatic group also seem somewhat low but there are lots of different definitions of and debate about what a normal vitamin D level should be.

Those most likely to be vitamin D deficient may have a poorer diet, less healthy lifestyle and more co-morbidities. They may have tried to correct for co-morbidities and match age groups in the two cohorts but it is very hard to correct for diet and lifestyle in those studies. Group with lower vitamin D levels may also be more likely to fair worse for those other reasons.

A therapeutic trial in those with vitamin D deficiency who contract Covid would need to be carried out to confirm an actual therapeutic benefit.

Observational prospective studies like that can generate a hypothesis but a randomized controlled trial would be needed to confirm benefit. In the meantime, would probably not do any harm to correct the deficiency as long as don’t overdose on Vitamin D.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If someone has symptoms that might be of Covid and stays at home for the necessary length of time but doesn't become severely ill, then I don't see the necessity of informing his or her GP. Informing the GP causes unnecessary anxiety to other people and inflates the statistics, thus making the situation seem worse than it actually is.
    That would increase the reported fatality rate. The "government is trying to trick us" crowd would have a field day then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

wadacrack wrote: »
    Ni Numbers. Stop deleting these posts please. Updating people on numbers obviously is fine.

https://twitter.com/vincekearney/status/1330149321690525702

Case numbers seem to be down but the test numbers (2500 individuals is piddling) so it's pretty irrelevant.

By the way regarding your posts being deleted you may want to talk to mods about the line but in general if you post a link you should comment on it rather than just spam links as it becomes spam very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What time is the press release of cases today, hopefully twenty minutes. Thread is extremely quiet today.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

4 deaths, 344 cases

Another 100+ backlog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Another 100+ backlog?

That’s come from nowhere

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement