Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

septicsac wrote: »
    Well there in lies another issue,as I am pretty sure I should have had at least another 6/7 scores in, but not on system.
    Telling me to get more scores in does not really address the issue, as what kind of system address a handicap while not taking into account any scores for 2020? What am I meant to do in meantime, give up shots to the field, is this the reward for playing fair and not trying to massage the system?

but you hardly play in competitions so what are you worried about?
    if you don't have enough scores, but have been playing casual golf, then no offence, that is your problem.

if there are scores missing, then no point in complaining here about it, you need to consult with your handicap sec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I was cut 3.6 shots as a result of this WHS, mainly because I usually play casual golf and only had 14 cards over past 3 yrs, of which they used 4 best scores from 2018 to determine my handicap, moving me from 18.7 to 15.1, not taking into account 7 scores from this yr or 3 from last yr. I was playing better in 2018, yes the slopw index means I have lost 1.7 shots, compared to what I was, but comparing to my mates I have lost 4 shots to the general field. Th only guys in similar position are those like myself, with not enough cards in. i have appealed to club handicap secretary, but heard nothing back. anyone else done similar? and/or how long do I leave it before going to next step and appealing to GUI?

Same here got cut 2. Played 12 rounds this year had 3 decent rounds and the rest where .1 back. Went from 18 to 19 my HI is 15.9 giving me a course Handicap of 17

Its just a matter of playing more competitions and trying to improve which should result in a fairer HI

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Seve OB wrote: »
    but you hardly play in competitions so what are you worried about?
    if you don't have enough scores, but have been playing casual golf, then no offence, that is your problem.

if there are scores missing, then no point in complaining here about it, you need to consult with your handicap sec

Not exactly my problem, I'm under 50 and a five day member, so limited to 1 competition a week, if not working that day, not minding kids or just having to deal with general life.

I have consulted with my handicap secretary, they are snowed under with people in similar situations, so not just "my problem"

Saying "no offence" usually comes from people making statements where they know offence will be taken, fair play to you for continuing this trend with your inane comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Not exactly my problem, I'm under 50 and a five day member, so limited to 1 competition a week, if not working that day, not minding kids or just having to deal with general life.

I have consulted with my handicap secretary, they are snowed under with people in similar situations, so not just "my problem"

Saying "no offence" usually comes from people making statements where they know offence will be taken, fair play to you for continuing this trend with your inane comment.
    While you're waiting for your h/sec, check for the missing scores on GolfNet. If they're not there, it's definitely the club's issue and not the GUI.

you have put in scores which generated your handicap index based on the rules of the system just like everyone else...... in the world! they were clearly good scores and demonstrate that you do indeed have the ability to play to that level. just like nearly every other golfer in the world, it is unlikely you will play to that handicap anywhere near all of the time, hell i wish i could play even close to my handicap even half the time.
    you seem upset because you want a higher handicap.

by the way.... welcome to the golf forum ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Why is the WHS index for the latest score in the My Scores section (last column) different to the main index highlighted in My Golf Overview?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

Salvadoor wrote: »
    Why is the WHS index for the latest score in the My Scores section (last column) different to the main index highlighted in My Golf Overview?

Its not very clear, but it looks like the WHS Index in the table indicates what your handicap was before you started the corresponding round.

DiegoWorst wrote: »
    Its not very clear, but it looks like the WHS Index in the table indicates what your handicap was before you started the corresponding round.

That makes sense. Thanks

not for me it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

not for me it doesn't

Nor me. My index is higher than any of the indices shown on the table of scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭REFLINE1

I logged on today and noticed by h'cap index dropped by 0.9 but no new scores added or counted since last time I checked, why might that be?

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    I logged on today and noticed by h'cap index dropped by 0.9 but no new scores added or counted since last time I checked, why might that be?

Did they update the tees you played from?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭REFLINE1

Did they update the tees you played from?

No they were always inputted as whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I still can't get into the HDID app. Anyone else having any issues? Deleted the app, changed my password, cleared the cache. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

REFLINE1 wrote: »

Your handicap may have been the subject of a review by the handicap committee which may have been the reason your index was lowered

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I thought that too but now I don't get it at all.

My HI changes from row to row even if the scores were not used in the calculation, which makes no sense to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

GreeBo wrote: »
    I thought that too but now I don't get it at all.

My HI changes from row to row even if the scores were not used in the calculation, which makes no sense to me!

You 21st oldest score might fall out of the lowest 8 Score Diffs.

This "WHS Index" column does seem to be the resultant HI after the round although it is rounded up to the neaest 0.1 for me and doesn't quite tally.

You 21st oldest score might fall out of the lowest 8 Score Diffs.

This "WHS Index" column does seem to be the resultant HI after the round although it is rounded up to the neaest 0.1 for me and doesn't quite tally.

They are deffo not part of the oldest 21, but probably what people are seeing is scores that at one time were your best 8 but are now not.
    It would be very useful if they had a time machine feature that let you see what scores were included in the calc at the time.

you have put in scores which generated your handicap index based on the rules of the system just like everyone else...... in the world! they were clearly good scores and demonstrate that you do indeed have the ability to play to that level. just like nearly every other golfer in the world, it is unlikely you will play to that handicap anywhere near all of the time, hell i wish i could play even close to my handicap even half the time.
    you seem upset because you want a higher handicap.

by the way.... welcome to the golf forum ;)

I'm not upset because I want a higher handicap, I'm upset that the system used 4 scores to determine this, all four from 2018-early 2019, none of the 10 scores for this year were taken into account. They also missed 5 scores in this time. I wish I could play consistently at the scores from back then, but no hope of that. My worry is our club dealing with this, they have said they will not be looking at cards, but will let new scores amend the handicaps. Problem is there is likely to be placing for next 4 months meaning no scores will count? so possibly March/April before members will see their indexes being changed.
    Will cards where placing is occurring be utilised?

By the way........thanks for the welcome;)

I'm not upset because I want a higher handicap, I'm upset that the system used 4 scores to determine this, all four from 2018-early 2019, none of the 10 scores for this year were taken into account. They also missed 5 scores in this time. I wish I could play consistently at the scores from back then, but no hope of that. My worry is our club dealing with this, they have said they will not be looking at cards, but will let new scores amend the handicaps. Problem is there is likely to be placing for next 4 months meaning no scores will count? so possibly March/April before members will see their indexes being changed.

If they have missed 5 (counting!) scores then they have to include them, thats a different thing than analysing individual cards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm still showing as 6.8, down from my original handicap of 13.7. Emailed the club there, as they seem to have left out most of my scores from the year, and only two are showing (one of which was my best ever round).

GreeBo wrote: »
    If they have missed 5 (counting!) scores then they have to include them, thats a different thing than analysing individual cards.

As Greebo says, missing scores need to be addressed by your club.

But you seem to be more concerned that your scores from this year are not counting. Well thats the point, it is you best 8 out of your last 20 scores, going back over a three year period and we have known it would be this way for a couple of years now. So if you have 20 scores within a couple of months, your handicap will be very very current, if it takes as long as you to play 20 rounds, then not so current, but that's the system. It is also much more representative of current ability and form than the old CONGU system. And by general consensus, the majority of golfers agree that it is a better and fairer system.
    You need not worry, your club are doing the right thing because as you add scores to your record it will wash itself out over time. Yes, we are into winter now with no qualifying (does it matter when there is no golf now anyway :() so it will be a while before you can add scores in, but everyone else is in the same boat. The system does not need to be changed for the likes of yourself who have their 20 scores spaced out over 3 years.

As Greebo says, missing scores need to be addressed by your club.

But you seem to be more concerned that your scores from this year are not counting. Well thats the point, it is you best 8 out of your last 20 scores, going back over a three year period and we have known it would be this way for a couple of years now. So if you have 20 scores within a couple of months, your handicap will be very very current, if it takes as long as you to play 20 rounds, then not so current, but that's the system. It is also much more representative of current ability and form than the old CONGU system. And by general consensus, the majority of golfers agree that it is a better and fairer system.
    You need not worry, your club are doing the right thing because as you add scores to your record it will wash itself out over time. Yes, we are into winter now with no qualifying (does it matter when there is no golf now anyway :() so it will be a while before you can add scores in, but everyone else is in the same boat. The system does not need to be changed for the likes of yourself who have their 20 scores spaced out over 3 years.

I know the theory behind this and do believe it will be a good system once bedded in. My worry is the club handicap committee dealing with this. They told me they looked at it, I doubted they did. They told me all my scores were in, despite me now producing the 5 missing counting rounds, which they will now look into. They told me my new handicap was based on 8 cards, not 4, despite it being shown quite clearly on mygolfireland page that only 4 cards were used and very evident 8 were not used. They also implyed that cards would be eligible when golf reopened, despite the fact that there will 100% be placing in play. The more I dig the more I have a lot more faith in the new system, but getting my own club to look after my own best interest is looking highly unlikely.
    How do I go about getting the rounds not counted included?
    If I pre-register a round on a day with no competitions, do not place the ball, can I use that score to get my last and 20th round in?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

A friend of mine hasn't gotten around to registering yet and I was wondering if any of you could help me.
    He is unable to locate his card so I told him to log on to golfnet to get his pin but the pin is no longer there.
    It used to be in the dashboard page but I cannot find it anymore.
    Does anyone know if there is anywhere else you can see the pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

srfc d16 wrote: »
    A friend of mine hasn't gotten around to registering yet and I was wondering if any of you could help me.
    He is unable to locate his card so I told him to log on to golfnet to get his pin but the pin is no longer there.
    It used to be in the dashboard page but I cannot find it anymore.
    Does anyone know if there is anywhere else you can see the pin?

All pin numbers are on the WHS Golf Ireland dashboard and the handicap secretary should be able to provide him with his PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

RGS wrote: »
    All pin numbers are on the WHS Golf Ireland dashboard and the handicap secretary should be able to provide him with his PIN.

He didn't set up an account on golf Ireland a few weeks ago and now cannot without the pin.
    He couldn't contact anyone in the club because the office is closed. I will tell him to try emailing the hcap secretary.

yes PIN seems to be gone from my own golfnet dashboard now also

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Fotish

Hi,
    The Handicap Secretary can get your Pin on Golf Ireland Website for you , he can also reset your Pin for you if that’s required.

The Golf Club does not need to be open for you to get in touch with the Handicap Secretary, a simple email should suffice .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I believe this is due to the order in which scores were imported into the database. Usually happens when there were a few away scores that weren't on your record initially, but were corrected by your club and so changed your index. But the chronological order hasn't changed obviously, so the last HI doesn't reflect the new index. I'm basing this on changes I've observed where this has happened. I assume that each line is 'locked in' after import, but current index is updated as scores are added.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I believe this is due to the order in which scores were imported into the database. Usually happens when there were a few away scores that weren't on your record initially, but were corrected by your club and so changed your index. But the chronological order hasn't changed obviously, so the last HI doesn't reflect the new index. I'm basing this on changes I've observed where this has happened. I assume that each line is 'locked in' after import, but current index is updated as scores are added.

Maybe the way the club imported them?
    Mine is bang on, the way it should be and last column ties in with my correct index.
    There were also a couple of imports done.

It’s weird the way it is different for a lot of people

Advertisement