Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Ceepo wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for the input.
    Im sure that the computer will spiit out the the correct handicap when im entering a competition.

Yes it will

I posted this video earlier of it working in Handicapmaster, I pressume the other ISV's will be similar

https://vimeo.com/475075274

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just noticed that I have 3 NRs in my list of recent comps. Explains why my index is lower than expected as those 3 NRs in strokeplay comps are not being counted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

"To clarify the way i calculated it.
    My Hi 21*120 (slope) /113 = 22.3.... 22.3*95 = 21.1.. "

So can i take it that this is the right way to calculate the playing handicap.

I thought the rounding was done at the Course Handicap stage ... so

My Hi 21*120 (slope) /113 = 22.3.... 22*95 = 20.9 = 21

Still not sure on this one though... It makes no difference in this case, but in the following it would:

Course Handicap: 21.5
    21.5 *.95 = 20.425 = 20 Playing Handicap

or rounding at the Course Handicap stage like the tables that the clubs sent around.
    22 *.95 = 20.9 = 21 Playing Handicap

So .. which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

From my reading of the thing issued today by GUI it looks pretty clear that you work out course handicap to a round number and then take 95% of that. Is this defo not correct?

Good man Prawn for all the work you've done and help on this thread. Thankless job, I don't know how you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Russman

I thought the rounding was done at the Course Handicap stage ... so

My Hi 21*120 (slope) /113 = 22.3.... 22*95 = 20.9 = 21

Still not sure on this one though... It makes no difference in this case, but in the following it would:

Course Handicap: 21.5
    21.5 *.95 = 20.425 = 20 Playing Handicap

or rounding at the Course Handicap stage like the tables that the clubs sent around.
    22 *.95 = 20.9 = 21 Playing Handicap

So .. which is it?

Based on post #250 above it seems to be the first option where the course handicap is not rounded before the 95% is applied.

• Advertisement

Jeez, the GUI really need to clarify this !! :)
    I've seen both options declared as fact on various websites today.

Russman wrote: »
    Jeez, the GUI really need to clarify this !! :)
    I've seen both options declared as fact on various websites today.

Somewhere in my head I read/heard "rounding is only done once, at the playing handicap stage". No idea where that came from ...

The randa calculator rounds the course handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Somewhere in my head I read/heard "rounding is only done once, at the playing handicap stage". No idea where that came from ...

The randa calculator rounds the course handicap.
    I posted this above. This screenshot is from the Handicap Master website in the notes on the new WHS version of the software. These calculations are built in to the software and the screenshot shows that rounding only happens at the Playing Handicap stage. Obviously this is only in connection with formats that have a handicap allowance reduction.

Edit: Scratch that. According to Golfgraffix on the other thread, the word from the horse's mouth is that it's double rounding in Ireland and single rounding everywhere else. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Is there anything to be said for holding another mass :)

Iys a good job they simplify the whole process to align with the rest of the WHS. Otherwise we could be confused.

So as of now I have an Handicap Index, a course handicap (thats if no real value save for calculating a playing handicap) and a playing handicap that I dont know how to get.
    So i suppose I'll just play casual golf off my course handicap which will give me an extra shot....

Its a good job courses are closed for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Brusna

Is there anything to be said for holding another mass :)

Iys a good job they simplify the whole process to align with the rest of the WHS. Otherwise we could be confused.

So as of now I have an Handicap Index, a course handicap (thats if no real value save for calculating a playing handicap) and a playing handicap that I dont know how to get.
    So i suppose I'll just play casual golf off my course handicap which will give me an extra shot....

Its a good job courses are closed for the moment

The playing handicap number will only affect your score and finishing position in a competition.

The course handicap number is the important one as this is used in the process for determining your handicap index.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Brusna wrote: »

The course handicap number is the important one as this is used in the process for determining your handicap index.

Surely the handicap index is important to determine the course handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Had an email from my club today to advise that they’ve made a balls of the handicaps and to ignore them for the minute

Had an email from my club today to advise that they’ve made a balls of the handicaps and to ignore them for the minute

“They” being your club, or the GUI ?

and a playing handicap that I dont know how to get.

When signing in it will give it to you, its all done for you

Surely the handicap index is important to determine the course handicap

That’s not what I said. I said the playing handicap number which is the number that there is confusion about in unimportant.

If there was a competition tomorrow morning all you would need to do is put your name and course handicap on the card and go out and play.

The course handicap is important in that it would be used to evaluate your adjusted gross score if you scratched any holes.

This adjusted gross score goes on your handicap record and may move your handicap index.

The playing handicap which we are struggling with can only affect the outcome of the competition.

Hope that makes since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Russman wrote: »
    “They” being your club, or the GUI ?

They didn’t clarify, we have 2 courses and some scores were apparently apportioned to the wrong course (with a lower slope rating). I had a chat with some of my playing partners and it seems to have happened to us all.

This is the email:

Dear members,

As you are all aware our Handicaps were due for review under new system, WHS,
    by Golf Ireland due to commence on the 2nd Nov 2020.

This transition has not been a smooth experience for many clubs including X Golf Club.

WHS indices for X are incorrect due to the issue with X (Secondary course) being assigned scores on member’s records and the committee's adjustments for inconsistencies have not been done due to this error.

We have been in contact with handicap advisors in Golf Ireland to address the anomalies we have identified with our handicaps.

Golf Ireland continues to try to resolve these issues and we will notify you when it's up to date.

Brusna wrote: »
    That’s not what I said. I said the playing handicap number which is the number that there is confusion about in unimportant.

If there was a competition tomorrow morning all you would need to do is put your name and course handicap on the card and go out and play.

The course handicap is important in that it would be used to evaluate your adjusted gross score if you scratched any holes.

This adjusted gross score goes on your handicap record and may move your handicap index.

The playing handicap which we are struggling with can only affect the outcome of the competition.

Hope that makes since.

OK.

So let's say, I have a course handicap of 19, playing handicap 18.

I am playing a Par 4 SI 1. I have a putt for 1 point for a 6 and I miss the putt. I should still putt for the 7, otherwise i will get an 8 on my adjusted gross if i put it down as scratch.

Is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

almostover wrote: »
    I've gone up from 8.1 to 9.0, a little disappointed as I had a good year going from 12 to 8 and being beaten on count back for golfer of the year. Our course slope is lowish at 119 so guessing many people went up a little.

Turns out there were some scores missing from the system, went from 8.1 to 8.3. Happy with that👍

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OK.

I am playing a Par 4 SI 1. I have a putt for 1 point for a 6 and I miss the putt. I should still putt for the 7, otherwise i will get an 8 on my adjusted gross if i put it down as scratch.

Is this right?

Only put down what you finish out for.
    If you pick up, put down 0.
    Let the computer do the workings after that.

OK.

Is this right?

Yes that’s correct. That’s why I’m saying it’s more important to know your course handicap because it can affect your handicap going forward.

Your playing handicap can only affect your position on the leaderboard for the competition.

I do accept that this is important to us all as we like to know what our score is when we walk off the course but it’s not the most important thing to know on the first tee.

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    Just noticed that I have 3 NRs in my list of recent comps. Explains why my index is lower than expected as those 3 NRs in strokeplay comps are not being counted

Same here.
    I think it might be a flaw, as others have reported same issue.
    Actually, can anyone confirm if they have a strokes comp with a scratch which is included.

When I was making a video for our members today I set up a dummy comp and enters a score that gave me 45 points.

Handicap index dropped from 8.9 to 7.9 30 seconds later.

So the response was pretty much the immediate. There was no publishing of the comp, I guess this means that any PCC adjustment would be done after all the competition scores are in??

I was expecting the adjustment and any PCC to be done together

When I was making a video for our members today I set up a dummy comp and enters a score that gave me 45 points.

So the response was pretty much the immediate. There was no publishing of the comp, I guess this means that any PCC adjustment would be done after all the competition scores are in??

Stick yourself in for another 45 points there like a good fella. I for one would like to see you get cut to ribbons over the lockdown :D

Yeah. I think that's the point of the constant updates. In theory your HI will always be 'fresh'. That's some server load I would think.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Same here.
    Actually, can anyone confirm if they have a strokes comp with a scratch which is included.

Looks like my club has the same issue.

I wonder if this is the same for all clubs. We use the club systems software at our club. Maybe prawnsambo or Golfgraffix can confirm if the same issue exists with their club as they have a different software provider.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Same here.
    They should be included. Even though it's technically a DQ, it's a valid scorecard in a strokes competition with perhaps one or two holes scratched to NDB. NRs with no returned score should be discarded imo. Or (wearing my evil hat) returned as nett pars for the course. That'll teach 'em. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Anyone know if there are any Android/Apple phone apps available for Golf Ireland/handicap index/handicap calculator/course handicaps, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

bmay529 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are any Android/Apple phone apps available for Golf Ireland/handicap index/handicap calculator/course handicaps, etc?
    Official one not until new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

bmay529 wrote: »

It was available on Android, but there was limited availability. It was released as "early access" which limits the amount of downloads for testing purposes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

"To clarify the way i calculated it.
    My Hi 21*120 (slope) /113 = 22.3.... 22.3*95 = 21.1.. "

So can i take it that this is the right way to calculate the playing handicap.

The golf calculator I use takes the rating of the course say 72.2 v par 71 more into the calculation then the slope?

https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html?hindex=11.6&ccourse=71.1&cslope=129&cpar=71&ctype=2&x=53&y=21

For example the European club off blues only has a slope rating of 135 against Heritage 147 but rating of European is 75.9

Course Rating and Slope Database™

Course Rating Search Results

Club/Course Name

City

State

The European Club - The European Club Brittas Bay IE-WW

Back (9)

Blue M 71 75.9 100.9 135 37.1 / 129 38.8 / 140

Advertisement