Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Late to the thread so not going to read it all.

For me the course ratings drove the handicap indexes if courses were rated harder or easier it seemed to effect every in the one direction.

I'm still struggling with the course rating and the slope not being linear, tough rating should mean higher slope u would imagine but it's not the case.

I was 10.6 gone to 8.7 means I wont get a shot off our yellow or white tees only off the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

mike12 wrote: »
    Late to the thread so not going to read it all.

For me the course ratings drove the handicap indexes if courses were rated harder or easier it seemed to effect every in the one direction.

I'm still struggling with the course rating and the slope not being linear, tough rating should mean higher slope u would imagine but it's not the case.

I was 10.6 gone to 8.7 means I wont get a shot off our yellow or white tees only off the back.

I was listening to golf weekly and they gave an explanation for why that may be the case. As you know course rating is for a scratch golfer and slope is for a bogey (20 hcap) golfer.
    These 2 groups may not find the same things challenging.
    The example they gave was 2 tree lined courses, 1 with large greens and narrow fairways one with small greens and wide fairways.
    The scratch golfer will find the one with small greens harder because the trees are less likely to come in to play due to them being more accurate.
    The bogey golfer will usually have a different view and size of green will have less impact than width of fairway because they are more likely to be in the trees on the narrow fairway in comparison to a scratch golfer.

I may not have explained that well but it made sense on the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Luckycharm wrote: »
    The golf calculator I use takes the rating of the course say 72.2 v par 71 more into the calculation then the slope?

If you are looking to get your Course Handicap you must use a calculator that uses "without minus course rating"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

If you are looking to get your Course Handicap you must use a calculator that uses "without minus course rating"

Do you have another golf calc then

For example I am 11.6 my course off blues slope 131, Par 71 other 72.2 how many shots will I have, my other golf calc says 14?

Do you have another golf calc then

For example I am 11.6 my course off blues slope 131, Par 71 other 72.2 how many shots will I have, my other golf calc says 14?

13 would be your Course Handicap and 12 would be your playing Handicap if in a singles comp

https://www.randa.org/WorldHandicapSystem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

With my persistent back issues I have played very little and poorly this year, so I was not surprised to see my handicap shoot up to 23.9. I am still totally confused on my playing handicap though

My Hi 23.9* 136 (slope) /113 = 28.7646.... *0.95 = 27.32
    OR
    My Hi 23.9* 136 (slope) /113 = 28.7646. Round to 29, *0.95 = 27.55

Which one is it?

With my persistent back issues I have played very little and poorly this year, so I was not surprised to see my handicap shoot up to 23.9. I am still totally confused on my playing handicap though

My Hi 23.9* 136 (slope) /113 = 28.7646.... *0.95 = 27.32
    OR
    My Hi 23.9* 136 (slope) /113 = 28.7646. Round to 29, *0.95 = 27.55

Which one is it?

You round before the 95%

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You round before the 95%

You assume that rounding can be either up or down?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You assume that rounding can be either up or down?

:confused:
    Rounding is up or down, what do you mean?

Seve OB wrote: »

So my course handicap comes to 16.52, so I round that to 17 before reducing to 95%?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

So my course handicap comes to 16.52, so I round that to 17 before reducing to 95%?

Yes, if it was 16.49 you would go to 16. I think.

The common method of rounding is to make 0.5 go up, so 7.5 rounds up to 8. But this is not a law or anything, it is just what people normally agree to do

https://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/rounding-methods.html

As a computer scientist I know that many of the greatest bugs have been due to differences in how rounding is implemented. I also wondered what the exact rounding rule was for this particular equation.

The common method of rounding is to make 0.5 go up, so 7.5 rounds up to 8. But this is not a law or anything, it is just what people normally agree to do

https://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/rounding-methods.html

As a computer scientist I know that many of the greatest bugs have been due to differences in how rounding is implemented. I also wondered what the exact rounding rule was for this particular equation.

I’m not sure you can say it’s just what people normally agree to. It’s maths.

I’m not sure you can say it’s just what people normally agree to. It’s maths.

I was just quoting the website, but come on, its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

It's easy to say just let the computer calculate the playing handicap, but what if we're heading out in a society event, who will be responsible for calculating the handicaps? or will the app sort that out for us?

Salvadoor wrote: »
    It's easy to say just let the computer calculate the playing handicap, but what if we're heading out in a society event, who will be responsible for calculating the handicaps? or will the app sort that out for us?

Once you have your index the course handicap should be displayed up around the club.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

For the society I'm in we will just carry on as normal. Our society handicaps reflected a lot of peoples ability more accurately than the CONGU system anyway. Society organisers have enough to be at rather than worrying about calculating handicaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

Salvadoor wrote: »

At a meeting about WHS we were told that society scores will have to be registered on the system so you will get your handicap when you register on the computer of the club you are playing or on the golf ireland website / app (when its available)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I thought the consensus was that we don't round until after the 95%???

Poker Face wrote: »
    At a meeting about WHS we were told that society scores will have to be registered on the system so you will get your handicap when you register on the computer of the club you are playing or on the golf ireland website / app (when its available)

That will be up to the individual if the register their score or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭DiegoWorst

macslash wrote: »

I think that idea had been published somewhere alright, incorrectly so.

The 95% is really in place to help low handicap golfers.
    if rounding happens afterwards it could hurt a low index golfer.
    It would also render the course handicap charts a bit useless.

If the chart gives you a course handicap of
    < 11 no change
    11 ~ 30 subtract 1
    31 ~ subtract 2

to get playing hcp

macslash wrote: »

Not in Ireland. You round before

13 would be your Course Handicap and 12 would be your playing Handicap if in a singles comp

https://www.randa.org/WorldHandicapSystem

So course rating does not affect your handicap at all?
    So if I played the European 135 and Heritage 147 off the blues, I would be 14 in the european and 15 in Heritage off 11.6?

Even though the difference between par and course rating is the below
    European 4.9 harder
    Heritage 2.7 harder

That doesn't make any sense

I think it does in so far as when calculating your score after the round

So if I played the European 135 and Heritage 147 off the blues, I would be 14 in the european and 15 in Heritage off 11.6?

European 4.9 harder
    Heritage 2.7 harder

The course rating is used in your handicap index calculation not in your course handicap.

Adjusted Gross Score minus course rating multiplied by 113 divided by slope rating gives Score Difference (which is the column which shows counting scores for your index). The PCC (playing conditions calculation) can add or take away some from this

The course rating is used in your handicap index calculation not in your course handicap.

Adjusted Gross Score minus course rating multiplied by 113 divided by slope rating gives Score Difference (which is the column which shows counting scores for your index). The PCC (playing conditions calculation) can add or take away some from this

Getting very confusing now so say I am playing stableford do I work out my score per hole for example I get 14 but when including the course rating I get 15. Do I have a shot on index 15 or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Getting very confusing now so say I am playing stableford do I work out my score per hole for example I get 14 but when including the course rating I get 15. Do I have a shot on index 15 or not?

So if course rating is 15, your playing handicap will be 14. So no you dont in the competition but you do in your net differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

European 4.9 harder
    Heritage 2.7 harder

So all other things equal you should get a bigger cut for a good score in the European than and equal score I the heritage. Is that correct or have I misunderstood this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

redzerdrog wrote: »
    So all other things equal you should get a bigger cut for a good score in the European than and equal score I the heritage. Is that correct or have I misunderstood this?

Yes, the differential will be smaller for European

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

etxp wrote: »
    That will be up to the individual if the register their score or not?

No it wont. If you are playing in a society outing you have to register before you play. This was specifically asked at the WHS meeting

Advertisement