Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - early black Friday deals on now...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Not being smart and genuine question, what is the point of one of these if you have a smart tv and prime, Netflix etc?

Apart from the other examples given, you can install a vpn so that you get US netflix or BBC player.
    I also run Kodi on mine which gives me a lot of extra content that I don't get in either netflix or prime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

ted1 wrote: »
    Or a dryer that vents externally or a condenser ;)

So inside then. Which isn't recommended apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

#271, #273 and #274...please.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

august12 wrote: »
    There are obviously not many bargains/deals on Amazon, going by the last few pages on this thread, am also interested in some smart plugs, any suggestions, I have a non smart home at the moment, I physically have to get off the chair to switch on/off lights etc. I bought the echo dot during prime day but that won't be here till December,

Echo dot works with the eWeLink app.
    Sonoff plugs work with the eWeLink app.

So they go hand in hand together.
    I use this set up. Between Alexa being able to control the lights, Siri on the phone having a command, it decent integration. They usually pop up in good deals. Last time I bought 6 when the user 3 for 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

Just wanted to post this as not everyone knows about it, but smile.amazon(.com or co.uk) is shopping at amazing but 0.5% of the money you spend goes to a charity instead of to amazon itself.

Just for everyone shopping over Black Friday/Christmas sales who wants to give the money to a nice charity instead of Bezos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

dougee19 wrote: »
    Just wanted to post this as not everyone knows about it, but smile.amazon(.com or co.uk) is shopping at amazing but 0.5% of the money you spend goes to a charity instead of to amazon itself.

Just for everyone shopping over Black Friday/Christmas sales who wants to give the money to a nice charity instead of Bezos!

I've used it for 80+ orders and they've given about £12 to charity. It's pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Caranica wrote: »
    I've used it for 80+ orders and they've given about £12 to charity. It's pathetic

Can’t see how it’s pathetic. They’re taking money (however small) from their profits, and giving it to charity.

How many other retailers are doing that?

Amazon literally have millions of customers. All those “pathetic” amounts add up to substantial figures.

As of July 2020, Smile had donated £3.6m to charities.

Soarer wrote: »
    Can’t see how it’s pathetic. They’re taking money (however small) from their profits, and giving it to charity.

How many other retailers are doing that?

Amazon literally have millions of customers. All those “pathetic” amounts add up to substantial figures.

As of July 2020, Smile had donated £3.6m to charities.

One of the main things I see in your post is the uk pound, ie to uk charities...

Look after our own

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    One of the main things I see in your post is the uk pound, ie to uk charities...

Look after our own

You can choose the charity. I’ve mine set to concern worldwide.

It’s not costing you anything - you’re spending the same amount anyway so why not help people regardless of where they live?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mayo_fan wrote: »

Look after our own

If that’s the case then you shouldn’t be buying from Amazon in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Both Teckin and TP Link smart plugs reduced at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=smart+plug&sprefix=smart&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-ap-p_2_5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Monokne wrote: »
    Whoops :eek:

My youngest is 4 and a half so we've almost made it the whole way without the stacking kit :D

I worked with someone whose kid had a TV topple onto him.
    Needless to say only 1 could be replaced. I'll let you decide which it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Maybe time for an Amazon Chat thread, like Argos etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Junior

I worked with someone whose kid had a TV topple onto him.
    Needless to say only 1 could be replaced. I'll let you decide which it was!

We had twins for exactly this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Junior wrote: »
    We had twins for exactly this reason.

thats not even funny:confused:

edit: well maybe a little, in a sick sort of way!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Caranica wrote: »

One user generated £12: if the same applies to their billion+ other users then...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭daheff

how much electricity do these smart plugs use?

I guess they are always on, right, so always drawing power?

daheff wrote: »
    how much electricity do these smart plugs use?

I guess they are always on, right, so always drawing power?

Low usage. TP Link ones I have can give usage stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Thanks! The Kasa TP Link ones are great, would highly recommend. Was planning to get more on Black Friday, so I've just picked up a twin pack on that offer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The Teckin 4 pack was £25.49 when I bought it a month ago, now it is reduced to £31.99

Gumbo wrote: »
    If that’s the case then you shouldn’t be buying from Amazon in the first place.

I try very hard not to. Outside of high tech stuff(it’s why I am on this thread) I try my best to stay away from Amazon and shop local even if its less in my pocket.

Appreciate Amazon employ thousands of people in Dublin but they don’t help my local Main Street where both myself and my childhood friends had summer jobs(only 1 of 6000 reasons to shop local).

Not all of us like evading paying vat (wink wink tyres)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

The Teckin 4 pack was £25.49 when I bought it a month ago, now it is reduced to £31.99
    That is so frustrating.

You can use https://camelcamelcamel.com/ to see if something is actually a bargain or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

Random one but has anybody had somebody from Amazon delivery call to their house with no package to confirm where you want packages left whem you're not home? He also wanted the take pictures of my house which I declined.

I asked for I'D and he had it but the whole thing felt weird. He knew my name and appeared to have an iPad delivery type device.

Writing it down now is making me doubt it even more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Jofspring

breeno wrote: »
    Random one but has anybody had somebody from Amazon delivery call to their house with no package to confirm where you want packages left whem you're not home? He also wanted the take pictures of my house which I declined.

I asked for I'D and he had it but the whole thing felt weird. He knew my name and appeared to have an iPad delivery type device.

Writing it down now is making me doubt it even more

Sounds very dodgy. Surely it's the type of thing that if it's legitimate then Amazon should be sending out emails that this could be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Teckin versus TP link anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Jofspring wrote: »
    Sounds very dodgy. Surely it's the type of thing that if it's legitimate then Amazon should be sending out emails that this could be happening.

Do Amazon actually do home deliveries here? or do they use couriers like DPD etc???
    Would they allow an employee to go to a person's door without ID?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

bladespin wrote: »
    Do Amazon actually do home deliveries here? or do they use couriers like DPD etc???
    Would they allow an employee to go to a person's door without ID?

No.

They do do deliveries themselves in Ireland now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Started a week ago, I noticed all my Prime orders took longer to arrive, is this normal? I thought it's priority (2 day) delivery to Ireland.

Thanks all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement