Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - early black Friday deals on now...

Options
1444546474850»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Aquos76 wrote: »
    The is a lot of confusion still surrounding Brexit and VAT rates, would I not be correct in saying that if Amazon is selling an item to outside the EU, then the item must first be free from UK VAT ie, 20% cheaper, only then if Amazon agree to collect VAT for the Irish government would our VAT rate be added back on to the item, and then sent out as normal so in a way, this is no change to how things currently operate?

I would say the answer to that is no as Amazon have already contacted their Irish customer base saying they will charge import fees upfront just like Amazon US does.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

shocksy wrote: »
    I would say the answer to that is no as Amazon have already contacted their Irish customer base saying they will charge import fees upfront just like Amazon US does.

But if they are selling something to outside the EU, then they cant charge UK Vat on that item can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

They apparently lost 3 on me also, had to take a refund in the end, obviously they oversold them in the first place.

Well, according to the tracking info., they were shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

But if they are selling something to outside the EU, then they cant charge UK Vat on that item can they?

UK vat will apply unless they are shipped from a location within the EU. So double VAT will apply for items shipped from within the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Interesting article here about the possibility of Amazon UK solely using EU warehouses to ship to EU customers

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/buying-from-amazon-uk-after-brexit.html

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Well, according to the tracking info., they were shipped.

So were mine, shipped on 20th November and apparently returned by me on the 5th Dec then. Despite 1 of them having a scan in Dublin, the other two never got out of Merseyside

clevtrev wrote: »
    UK vat will apply unless they are shipped from a location within the EU. So double VAT will apply for items shipped from within the UK

Have you a link to where that is stated, I’m certainly not doubting you. Obviously if a county within the EU is exporting goods to a country outside of the EU, then no vat is charged on the export, it will be incurred on the importing country. As the UK will be outside of the EU, they can now set their own rules and laws in relation to VAT, but I haven’t been able to find anything online about what they intend to to re, exports to the EU after Dec 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Not quite Black Friday but great value on 14TB WD External drives at £189 and also discounts on 8TB version, but not quite the same value at £139.

Those 14TBs are amazing value. I ordered a couple on Thursday and they arrived today. I guess this is the kind of item that will attract fees next year. Delighted I got them before that.

I wouldn't think so no, but I wouldn't be certain how this new way of buying things from the UK will work. It's such a mess and whatever way the UK look at it, their retailers are seriously going to miss their Irish customer base as most people won't buy from them now as no one will want to pay extra fees and more tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I ordered an Echo Dot (3rd Gen) for £18.99 on Prime Day. It was due to land here in early December. It failed to arrive and is now considered to be lost by Amazon who have offered a refund. However, I don't want a refund- I want the Echo Dot. But they say they have none... WTF?? They're still selling them, FFS!!
    Have you tracked it under your orders in Amazon account, same happened me with a fire hd, stuck in Dublin for two weeks, but once I re directed it to a different address, it arrived within a few days, but it was coming through An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I wouldn't think so no, but I wouldn't be certain how this new way of buying things from the UK will work. It's such a mess and whatever way the UK look at it, their retailers are seriously going to miss their Irish customer base as most people won't buy from them now as no one will want to pay extra fees and more tax.

That might not be the case at all. Amazon already have it all automated when buying from the US.

GarIT wrote: »
    That might not be the case at all. Amazon already have it all automated when buying from the US.

Yes it's automated but you're still going to be paying the extra taxes regardless of when you pay it. Amazon UK sales from Irish customers will plummet unless they open more fulfillment centres here in Ireland. People just won't want that extra tax on top of the prices advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Have you a link to where that is stated, I’m certainly not doubting you. Obviously if a county within the EU is exporting goods to a country outside of the EU, then no vat is charged on the export, it will be incurred on the importing country. As the UK will be outside of the EU, they can now set their own rules and laws in relation to VAT, but I haven’t been able to find anything online about what they intend to to re, exports to the EU after Dec 31st.

no sorry - it was early for me when I posted:) even though it sounded like I knew what I was talking about!

You are right - in the event something is being shipped outside of the UK then UK vat will not apply. Items coming into Ireland will have a handling charge to cover the calculation of Irish VAT (and also tariffs but only if there is no deal). A package will be subject to a handling fee which is typically 10 euro unless Amazon controls the import and does not pass on a handling fee to the customer.
    Also items under 22 euro in value are not subject to VAT currently but from 1st July 2021 all items will have VAT applied irrespective of value

Yes it's automated but you're still going to be paying the extra taxes regardless of when you pay it. Amazon UK sales from Irish customers will plummet unless they open more fulfillment centres here in Ireland. People just won't want that extra tax on top of the prices advertised.

Not necessarily if you are spending under €150. Depends on whether the UK charges or refunds VAT on exports.

clevtrev wrote: »
    no sorry - it was early for me when I posted:) even though it sounded like I knew what I was talking about!

You are right - in the event something is being shipped outside of the UK then UK vat will not apply. Items coming into Ireland will have a handling charge to cover the calculation of Irish VAT (and also tariffs but only if there is no deal). A package will be subject to a handling fee which is typically 10 euro unless Amazon controls the import and does not pass on a handling fee to the customer.
    Also items under 22 euro in value are not subject to VAT currently but from 1st July 2021 all items will have VAT applied irrespective of value

There is no handling charge if the VAT is prepaid at the payment stage and Amazon already does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Anything I've bought from Amazon has always had VAT applied at the Irish rate at the payment stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement