Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

Will ben dunne open earlier i wonder . 5am would be the thing ti do so people can go home and shower b4 work

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

rusty cole wrote: »
    Will ben dunne open earlier i wonder . 5am would be the thing ti do so people can go home and shower b4 work

Thought Ben Dunne was getting rid of showers post COVID-19? Presumably cost saving led...

The business we’re opening is a completely different business to what we had up to March 12,’ he explained to Extra.ie.

‘We won’t have saunas and steam rooms, jacuzzis or showers — they’re gone permanently. In the new gyms, you will come prepared, which a lot of people already do.

‘We’ve done a survey and 46% of the people who visit our gyms come prepared and don’t use the showers anyway. I think when the public sees Westpoint and Cherrywood with the new layout, they will be gobsmacked.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/07/11/must-see/ben-dunne-gyms-reopening-plans/amp

Thought Ben Dunne was getting rid of showers post COVID-19? Presumably cost saving led...

The business we’re opening is a completely different business to what we had up to March 12,’ he explained to Extra.ie.

‘We won’t have saunas and steam rooms, jacuzzis or showers — they’re gone permanently. In the new gyms, you will come prepared, which a lot of people already do.

‘We’ve done a survey and 46% of the people who visit our gyms come prepared and don’t use the showers anyway. I think when the public sees Westpoint and Cherrywood with the new layout, they will be gobsmacked.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/07/11/must-see/ben-dunne-gyms-reopening-plans/amp
    He is yea but where i used to train and shower there then go to work, i will need to go back home then shower. This means an earlier start for this to work for me. Thats what i mean. A 6.15 start wont work in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'll keep it up for the next few weeks until the gym is open and in all honesty I'll drop it like a stone... I've been lifting weights on and off for more than 35 years... it makes me happy and enjoy it more than many things i do.

I agree. Which is why I try to do bodyweight exercises that are hard enough so as to be a similar low rep range. 50 rep push ups bore me.

Also why I got a set of kettlebells for lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

rusty cole wrote: »
    He is yea but where i used to train and shower there then go to work, i will need to go back home then shower. This means an earlier start for this to work for me. Thats what i mean. A 6.15 start wont work in my case.

Exactly, it's penny pinching and it will back fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We didn't have shower facilities in my place in the last lock down, but from a selfish perspective it was ok cause I was working from home. That will continue for me for the forseeable future I guess, but when I go back to the office it will be a pain if I can't shower after my session before work. Trying to get home and then back out for work, would be annoying at best, not possible timing wise at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They'll lose a lot of business if they don't open showers/steam rooms etc. I know my gym has a lot of aulfellas who go during the day purely to use the steam room and sauna etc.

They'll lose a lot of business if they don't open showers/steam rooms etc. I know my gym has a lot of aulfellas who go during the day purely to use the steam room and sauna etc.

Could be part of the plan, alot of places give discounts to seniors.

Well the Westwoods I go to had everything open at Xmas and last summer so I doubt they'll be closing anything, the main reason I pay for those places is because of the spa areas tbh.

Well the Westwoods I go to had everything open at Xmas and last summer so I doubt they'll be closing anything, the main reason I pay for those places is because of the spa areas tbh.

Yes I think WW charge a premium rate and brag about these facilities.

They'd be no better than flyefit otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

The Spa area in WW is a huge selling point.Many people go there to relax and have a sauna on their off days from the gym which gives the Gym more appeal to a wider audience.

I highly doubt WW will be removing their spa area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

rondog wrote: »
    The Spa area in WW is a huge selling point.Many people go there to relax and have a sauna on their off days from the gym which gives the Gym more appeal to a wider audience.

Exactly. Value is subjective to the number of facilities you use. If someone just used a squat rack, a comparison with Flye fit (as above) is fair.
    If you use the gym and spa, it's better. If you use the gym, spa and pool and maybe have a coffee after, it's good value.

Yes I often go to WW just to use the spa area, if I'm hungover it's a great antidote. I used to have a flat across the road from the one in Clontarf and I think I used my own shower twice in the year I lived there.

Thats the thing about WW,its a day out in some cases.

My Kids do swimming lessons so i can relax in the spa area.Then the wife can take them to the childs pool to play and then for some lunch in the cafe while i do a work out.

Then you can relax in the reception with a coffee watching the football.

ALl in all its also a family spot with lots to do including Tennis, and the play area for the kids.

Its more expensive for sure but considering the amount you can do its well worth it compared to a Gym where you pay less for just working out and the specific purpose you use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Thats the thing about WW,its a day out in some cases.

My Kids do swimming lessons so i can relax in the spa area.Then the wife can take them to the childs pool to play and then for some lunch in the cafe while i do a work out.

Then you can relax in the reception with a coffee watching the football.

ALl in all its also a family spot with lots to do including Tennis, and the play area for the kids.

Its more expensive for sure but considering the amount you can do its well worth it compared to a Gym where you pay less for just working out and the specific purpose you use it for.
    Its the experience as you say , if you don't mind me asking how much do you pay for a family membership ? Im weighing u a few options at the moment.

I just pay the upfront membership on the Credit card ,from memory its approx 900 and the kids are 25Eur per month each.Handy for the kids when its p1ssing rain outside or during the winter when its cold ,you can bring them for an hour swim and theyre ready for bed after it.The wife isnt a member ,she just joins us later but can enter the pool area when lessons are on.

After the lesson,the kids can hold on and play for as long as they want .

WW have also added a large play area and they do summer camps .Clontrf also has a large reception area with an insomnia there so you can relax after but that was closed off due to COVID before they shut down completely.

A good strategy in of itself. They can continue to sell themselves as an exclusive brand

Clontrf also has a large reception area with an insomnia there so you can relax after but that was closed off due to COVID before they shut down completely.

It's an O'Briens but yes you can treat yourself to a coffee and a 15 euro sandwich after a workout which is nice!
    It's 79e per month for single membership.

ben dunne used to have tellys in the gym, they once adorned every treadmill.
    then they got the boot, as did hair dryers as did one of the steam rooms and saunas.. these things cost money to maintain and energy to run.

he's low price and low rent by nature, expect nothing less, he'll say his gym is not there to wash you...I wouldn't join at all if it's not open early.
    I'm happy enough going to Flyefit so they can have the business,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

So I moved to London last Monday and man it feels good to train with others again. The difference between that and training at home is crazy. I've had 5 really good sessions in a row, which never happened at home. I am definitely realising the gains from the work done in the shed gym during lockdown. I feel if I can hit X number of kg in an exercise at home I am good for X+10kg when I'm in the atmosphere of a gym. Snatched 120kg finally and was as close to a 150kg clean & jerk as I've ever been (had it locked out but lost it on recovery when it took me for a walk).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It's an O'Briens but yes you can treat yourself to a coffee and a 15 euro sandwich after a workout which is nice!
    It's 79e per month for single membership.

950 a year to join globogym. You’d want to be soft in the head to pay those prices.

That depends on what you want.

If you want an old school lifting gym with weights ,bar bells etc all good.

If you use WW 950 is great value.

As i was saying its not just a huge weights area ,a huge cardio area,theres a play area for kids that keeps them occupied for an hour or 2,then there a full olympic sized swimming pool and a kids play pool again they can spend hours in.

WHen classes were ongoing they had hundreds of classes from 6am to 9pm and a great variety.

There tennis courts, a spa area etc etc.

As i was saying you can spend most of the day there with the family too

I actually think its good value for what u get but then again its not everyones cup of tea and theres basic gyms for those that want to workout and get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    950 a year to join globogym. You’d want to be soft in the head to pay those prices.

I've never been to the place, know little about it.

But as with anything, it all boils down to how frequently you use it and whether you want/need all the services.

Works out at less than €20 a week.
    If members attend 5 days per week and use a combination of the gym, leisure facilities and whatever else is on offer, then that to me sounds like they are getting value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Esse85 wrote: »
    I've never been to the place, know little about it.

But as with anything, it all boils down to how frequently you use it and whether you want/need all the services.

Works out at less than €20 a week.
    If members attend 5 days per week and use a combination of the gym, leisure facilities and whatever else is on offer, then that to me sounds like they are getting value for money.

Well reading the post above yours, there’s alot more on offer than I had imagined. But still, all sounds great if you used it daily and had a family. But god knows how much a family ticket is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Well reading the post above yours, there’s alot more on offer than I had imagined. But still, all sounds great if you used it daily and had a family. But god knows how much a family ticket is!!

Kids prices are above. 300 each per year.

Really depends on how often you use it, and how much of the facilities you use.
    If you foign 1 or 2 times a week to the gym only, with a spin in the sauna. Probably not getting value.

5 times, gym, spa, pool, etc then maybe.

I've two memberships. The total amount I've paying would be a lot more the WW overall. But it's tailored to me, so I get value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Might be of interest to others - The following applicants have been deemed eligible for receipt of the COVID-19 swimming pool grant
    fund 2020 subject to adherence to terms and conditions.

https://www.sportireland.ie/sites/default/files/media/document/2021-02/ireland-active_-phase-2-swimming-pool-grant.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wish you didn't have to be a member in WW to use the squash courts - even if you had to go with someone who is.

I'd go to the gym loads, and have a few friends I'd play squash with - but they only play squash once a week or every two weeks. so while I could prob justify the membership for gym, squash and all the rest.... for my squash only friends membership in WW makes no sense for it.

Very hard to play a game of squash in south dublin. UCD the only spot for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Yes I think WW charge a premium rate and brag about these facilities.

They'd be no better than flyefit otherwise

I only know WW in Clontarf having in the past used a few day passes.

Having being a member of FF in swords (and roaming) since it opened - I cant agree.
    Having used regularly the FF in IFSC, Baggot, South Circular Road one & Georges St - and swords is streets ahead of them.

WW is much better than FF in terms of facilities.

Are you only comparing the weights section ? or treadmills.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Very hard to play a game of squash in south dublin. UCD the only spot for it.

Have you tried Spawell?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I’ve been a member of Westwood Clontarf and I’ve used 3-4 Flye Fits regularly.

I love the FF model actually, but it’s simply not true that they are fitted out comparable to WW, it’s not even close.

You might have everything you really need to train in a FF, and I agree WW doesn’t really make sense unless you do use all the other facilities on offer, but that doesn’t mean they’re in the same ballpark.

Advertisement