Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I really haven't been paying attention, I've tuned out of news. Whats the offical date for gyms?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I really haven't been paying attention, I've tuned out of news. Whats the offical date for gyms?

June 7th (individual training only)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I got an email from May gym saying they are opening on 7th of June but I haven't heard anything official on the news to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

cgcsb wrote: »
    I got an email from May gym saying they are opening on 7th of June but I haven't heard anything official on the news to that effect

June 7:

"gyms, swimming pools, leisure centres can reopen for individual training only"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I’ve been a member of Westwood Clontarf and I’ve used 3-4 Flye Fits regularly.

I love the FF model actually, but it’s simply not true that they are fitted out comparable to WW, it’s not even close.

You might have everything you really need to train in a FF, and I agree WW doesn’t really make sense unless you do use all the other facilities on offer, but that doesn’t mean they’re in the same ballpark.

Completely agree - they are both very, very different products. Room for both offerings and both deliver value in different ways to different markets. IF you are using a good range of the facilities at WW regularly it's good value (I say this as a FF member!). Evene with something like classes, FF leaves a lot to be desired - and if you want to do 2 quality, enjoyable classes a week, I am sure that would be well worth a few euro premium a week alone imo.

Flyefit is great at what it does, but it's a different product / offering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

paw patrol wrote: »
    I only know WW in Clontarf having in the past used a few day passes.

Having being a member of FF in swords (and roaming) since it opened - I cant agree.
    Having used regularly the FF in IFSC, Baggot, South Circular Road one & Georges St - and swords is streets ahead of them.

WW is much better than FF in terms of facilities.

Are you only comparing the weights section ? or treadmills.

No they're not comparable, they're hugely different.
    But as I said, if ww didn't have the facilities to set itself apart from ff, than it would be no better, and couldn't justify their price tag.

No they're not comparable, they're hugely different.
    But as I said, if ww didn't have the facilities to set itself apart from ff, than it would be no better, and couldn't justify their price tag.

But...they do have those facilities and can justify the price tag to those who value those facilities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

This is going to sound like a weird thing in favour of Westwood Clontarf, but it's quite airy and spacious feeling. There's a lot of floor space, big changing rooms, high ceilings. When you're in the upstairs gym there's long sight lines around the place. I don't mean this from a covid safety point of view, I just mean that it feels like it's nice and big.

Whereas although it has everything you need to train, Flyefit CHQ and Flyfit Drumcondra feel like you're in a pokey converted building (Which I think they are, in fairness). No natural light, building is divided up into little rooms... The Macken St one is not like that, in fairness, or Swords, much prefer them. The short lived one on the Malahide Rd was also good, until .... an on-fire vehicle was driven into it(!).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This is going to sound like a weird thing in favour of Westwood Clontarf, but it's quite airy and spacious feeling. There's a lot of floor space, big changing rooms, high ceilings. When you're in the upstairs gym there's long sight lines around the place. I don't mean this from a covid safety point of view, I just mean that it feels like it's nice and big.

Whereas although it has everything you need to train, Flyefit CHQ and Flyfit Drumcondra feel like you're in a pokey converted building (Which I think they are, in fairness). No natural light, building is divided up into little rooms... The Macken St one is not like that, in fairness, or Swords, much prefer them. The short lived one on the Malahide Rd was also good, until .... an on-fire vehicle was driven into it(!).

The Sallynoggin flyfit is nice , big box of a place, equipment almost new and the place is well maintained, used to go to it or Stillorgan if I had a day off as the parking was simple during the day

Westwood in Sandymount is a whole other level though, their spa and pool area is outstanding and it overlooks tennis courts and rugby pitches so a different vibe. Im basically a minute in the car from the place so thats a big plus for me, I can pop in at lunch time and split up whatever I want to do. I have a 16 year old son so I take him to their Dun Laoghaire or Leopardstown place at the weekend

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The one on Baggot St as well. The dumbbell area was set up to be crowded. Relatively low ceilings as well. Ranelagh as well, to a degree, where the racks are. Not as bad as Baggot St but you still feel like it's more confined.

The sheer volume of Portobello makes it feel much more open and spacious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

But...they do have those facilities and can justify the price tag to those who value those facilities.

this is what I wanted to say.

The one on Baggot St as well. The dumbbell area was set up to be crowded. Relatively low ceilings as well. Ranelagh as well, to a degree, where the racks are. Not as bad as Baggot St but you still feel like it's more confined.

The sheer volume of Portobello makes it feel much more open and spacious.

swords does rock though , thankfully

any news on regulations when gym opens?

I couldn't hack flyefit rules during covid - booking/time limits and set times.
    Set times were the worst of them.
    to avoid pointless debate I know why they were applied but it ruined my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

BD in Cherrywood is perfect for me, right round the corner and is cavernous in its size... so plenty of avoidance areas.

They had no booking system the last time and I don't foresee one this time either. Lots of changes though with no classes or showers either but it does what it says on the tin so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

any news on regulations when gym opens?

I couldn't hack flyefit rules during covid - booking/time limits and set times.
    Set times were the worst of them.
    to avoid pointless debate I know why they were applied but it ruined my life.

I actually loved the set times etc in flyefit, would be happy to see that introduced all the time but can understand why it didnt work for some people

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    I actually loved the set times etc in flyefit, would be happy to see that introduced all the time but can understand why it didnt work for some people

would it not create a certain herding behaviour?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Was their issues with people hogging the squat rack or bench bench?

why ? I just don't get the liking of the constraint on one schedule.
    If you are late or something , then it limits what you can do.
    Surely you can do what you please without pigeon-holing all into the same box.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I preferred the time slots in my gym too, work hard for the full hour less time between sets picking up the phone or chatting and less people in the weight room

I get you prefer it but can you not do that anyway without imposing your way of training on others?
    spare a thought for those of us with 90min workouts.

tbh it feels like work not enjoyment. set arrival and leave time.

Not hating either of you , just curious cos I can't understand it tbh
    silverharp wrote: »
    would it not create a certain herding behaviour?

It did but also in FF swords case it meant that busy periods like 7am were booked out and the first thing people did at 7,01 was book the next day fully out.
    Sure plenty free at 2100 but who wants to train then - certainly not me with my wife and 3 kids keeping me enslaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

What will they group indoor classes under?

At the moment we are allowed pods of 15 outdoors and then individual indoors from June 7th.

At the back end of when classes were last allowed it was pods of 6 people and classes like Spin were spaced
    out further than next to the nearest bench on the gym floor.
    You can also just go into the Spin room yourself and use the bikes if you so wish while others are also there
    so unsure what the thought process currently is here (which i suppose is a common theme with a lot of the restrictions).

Because of above they are possibly adding on months more into summer of not being able to do the type of training some people enjoy for no good reason.

Sure plenty free at 2100 but who wants to train then - certainly not me with my wife and 3 kids keeping me enslaved.

I trained at 8.30 because of wife and kids. Was grand.

But not being enslaved did help.

showpony1 wrote: »
    What will they group indoor classes under?

At the moment we are allowed pods of 15 outdoors and then individual indoors from June 7th.

At the back end of when classes were last allowed it was pods of 6 people and classes like Spin were spaced
    out further than next to the nearest bench on the gym floor.
    You can also just go into the Spin room yourself and use the bikes if you so wish while others are also there
    so unsure what the thought process currently is here (which i suppose is a common theme with a lot of the restrictions).

Because of above they are possibly adding on months more into summer of not being able to do the type of training some people enjoy for no good reason.

I don't know that it's being restricted for 'no good reason', but for what it's worth a few gyms I know who do indoor group training (Martial arts clubs too) seem to have in their head that they will be returning to a pod system in July. Not entirely clear there's any basis to believe that, but if the numbers stay stable and vaccinations continue, yeah, maybe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

I don't know that it's being restricted for 'no good reason', but for what it's worth a few gyms I know who do indoor group training (Martial arts clubs too) seem to have in their head that they will be returning to a pod system in July. Not entirely clear there's any basis to believe that, but if the numbers stay stable and vaccinations continue, yeah, maybe...

Theres already MA gyms training outdoors in Pods.A gym owner i know said it was confirmed that outdoor training for MA in pods can take place outdoors as of now..this was confirmed by the IRFU and IABA.

rondog wrote: »
    Theres already MA gyms training outdoors in Pods.A gym owner i know said it was confirmed that outdoor training for MA in pods can take place outdoors as of now..this was confirmed by the IRFU and IABA.

Yes, although if I wasn't clear- I was talking about indoor classes.

If you're running an MA club you can't depend on getting the weather for outdoor training consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

I don't know that it's being restricted for 'no good reason'

my reason for saying that is they removed half the spin bikes when it first happened, then towards end were divided up into pods of 6 with only that pod able to use their own sanitiser etc.

then any other class like kettlebells or whatever would be spaced out in your own pod

its no different than being on a piece of equipment out on the gym floor with another person on the machine next to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A good few gyms here in Galway city have opened back up for outdoor training in car parks, grass areas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I liked that the gym was less crowded mainly, because everyone was under a time constraint there was less faffing about so you dont end up waiting on equipment as much also. I live very close to the gym i go to so was never late for it, but i liked that you just had the 75 mins to get in get your workout done and leave.

Booked timeslots were a joy, so too the limit on people in there.

I liked that the gym was less crowded mainly, because everyone was under a time constraint there was less faffing about so you dont end up waiting on equipment as much also. I live very close to the gym i go to so was never late for it, but i liked that you just had the 75 mins to get in get your workout done and leave.

but my workouts are 90 min :( ..I'd have no time for 20 sets of cable cross overs.

tbh I train before work so I can't faff about but on a sat or sun - oh do i faff :pac:

I find your view interesting - guess we aren't a hive mind.

Yes, although if I wasn't clear- I was talking about indoor classes.

If you're running an MA club you can't depend on getting the weather for outdoor training consistently.

You certainly cant depend on the weather.Went back to MMA on Monday and two of the days it p1ssed rain but it didnt stop the entusiasm,great to be back hitting pads and drilling.

Last night we trained in glorious sun shine so was decent ,nice sweat session and a glowing tan this morning :-)

As for time slots,personally its not for me.

I an change my mind 20 times a day on when im going to the gym,will i go at lunch,after work,when the kids are in bed.A time slot would ruin the 'mood'.

After having very little to do over lock down it will be nice to be spoiled for choice with MMA.the gym and nice weather for long cycles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Augeo wrote: »
    Booked timeslots were a joy, so too the limit on people in there.
    Also a fan of this and long may it continue. It's also of great benefit to the likes of the tea time crowd, where people are often limited by sheer numbers.

Advertisement