Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I know a lot of work and dedication went into this Solas watch and fair play and good luck and well wear to everyone who's got one. But...

It wouldn't be for me.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Just trying out the new picture function on the new boards. Dont like it. Once its inserted you cannot move it. ImgBB still better as you can set a time limit on how long the photo stays visible. Spent last few days down in waterford and cycled the greenway with the kids which was nice. Daytona makes a good beater.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's a huge chunk of blank space before your pic too. Gremlins. Hopefully.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭micks_address

Brought the seiko to cork for a few weeks

There are Gremlins and missing features everywhere. This is not the slickest transition I have ever seen. Fiver says they roll back quick to avoid the loss of too many posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

While Boards has been down, it has been a busy few days for me regarding watches.

Firstly, My Bell-Matic journey continues! Going back to May during one of my regular checks of the auctions, I came across a gold 4005-7000 listed in Japan. The 4005s were made from around March 1968 to May 1969 going by information collected on the forum. Sold only in Japan, they were slightly cheaper than the 4006 models that sold for 18,500 Yen for the Stainless Steel models

Note "SGP. WP"- Seiko Gold Plating .Water Proof is the gold model, at 20,000 Yen it was the most expensive model. Also featured in the same catalog next to the gold 4005 is my 4006-6020!

The 4005s for some reason never really caught my attention like the 4006s and also being gold wasn't something Id normally consider. Completely forgot about the auction over the weekend, and with about a half an hour left to go on the auction, while outside cleaning the gutters! Decided to put in a sniper bid as a spur of the moment decision!

Success! €158.45, the only bidder! Complete with the original bracelet as I know from hunting down the one for my Dolphin Bell, is getting harder and harder to find. Very surprised there were no other bids as going by the pictures, it looked to be in fantastic condition. Once again, went with EMS Shipping but thankfully it arrived faster than my last purchase and most importantly, in one piece!

When I removed the bubble wrap ad saw it for the first time, ticking away..... I fell in love! Wasn't sure what my reaction would of been, my first 4005/gold Bell. A member on here that I have been chatting with the past year said, a gold model in good condition has a certain charm, a feel back to a different time, a bit of a "Dellboy look" ! that cant bee seen looking at pictures, and I completely agree! No matter how many pictures I took, I cant show to how nice it looks in person.

A quick video showing it in more detail along with testing the functions

Some small scratches and the bracelet might need to be tightened near the clasp as seen in this picture the pin appears to be worn

As per usual, will look at getting it serviced, extremely happy with it, Highly recommend getting a gold Bell, especially one without any plating loss as they really are a fantastic looking watch and really happy to now have a 4005 in my collection!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Also got an update from Richard regarding the progress of the Service of the 4006-7000 from the 4006-7000 from January 1967 I originally bought for the bracelet for the Dolphin Bell. There were a couple of issues from moisture damage due to the gaskets having not been replaced for many years. The winding rotor had suffered quite a bit and had some of the green mold that grows on it due to moisture reacting with the base metal under the plating. There is also a bit of pitting around the top of the case threads along with light wear on the plate due to the rotor bearings been worn but appear to have been replaced during a pervious service as they are fine. There were also some other movement parts with signs of surface rust which were cleaned up with the center wheel which couldn't be saved and so had to be replaced. The caseback and alarm pusher gaskets too were rock hard and so were replaced.

Like the Dolphin, this watch had also a few unique surprises Richard hadn't seen in other Bells! The dial is dated March 1967, I wonder was this is when they went from the Diashock dial to the later style as I have seen Diashock dials used as late as February 67

Note the burned in" fingerprints on the back too, which must be from either the guy who made the dial or from a watchmaker who serviced the watch previously. Over decades, oil from any errant fingerprints will eat into a painted surface and can no longer be removed.

Like the Dolphin Bell, this watch too has the early 'rolled edge' dial. The other surprise was that this watch had completely different clips for holding the alarm bezel in place, you can see that they are much longer when compared to 'regular' clips

The alarm bezel too was a slightly different design, marginally thicker than a normal -70xx alarm bezel and with a different side profile.

The watch is now on test winder and all going well, hope to have it by the end of next week. Once again, a HUGE THANK YOU to Richard Askham for taking on another project from me and for taking the time to document the work. Very interesting to see these unique differences in the early models and look forward to getting it back and will do a further update then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice ring off that 🙂

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Just in time for the great Boards relaunch (don’t think I’m liking it on my iPhone), this turned up this morning. I was actually buying shoe care products on a website when I spotted this on sale so into the basket it went. Cheap and cheerful, well overpriced at retail. Will prob swap out the pinchy bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I got the Pepsi version of that when it launched , it’s a nice little retro style watch but the plastic bezel and hair pulling bracelet make it seem overpriced even at €150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

Picked this up today, was in Cork for the week and went into Keanes a couple of times (to get on they list for a Sub No-Date) and this morning the lady in there said she had a Datejust 41 that was on hold but the buyer couldn’t pick it up anymore. Lucky me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wearing the backup microrotor model today...

I do like the new boards format in terms of allowing easy upload of photos 😀

@CalamariFritti just saw your comment about the Starlight (this new layout will take some getting used to) - and no worries at all - aventurine certainly isn't to everyone's taste - I would say you should see the material in person however (though it's hard to get access to any of the higher end boutiques that tend to stock aventurine pieces) - and dress watches aren't for everyone. Perhaps the Equinox diver will be more up your street... or the minute (perhaps 5 minute) repeater model instead 😁

Maybe when things get back to normal and we can do a boards meet up (potentially by then I can bring along the Equinox too 😍 people can see why I like aventurine and micro-rotors).

Post edited by Thirdfox on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

This is what is wrong with the Rolex market in one way.

Feeling lucky to get a dj41. I see tonnes of them for sale a month old. All bought as they were afraid say no (not saying that was you) and were building a “relationship”.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Trying to figure out this new image posting...

Horoadict, nice datejust a classic. But really 893bet is right. You didnt want that watch and the sales staff offloaded it onto you (there was no other buyer). That's an expensive config on that but without the blue dial. 9500 euro, and they are super dressy very far away from the submariner you actually wanted. I will guess you will flip that and there will be a loss around a grand on that, the premium on a no date sub is about 2k or 1,500 if you are willing to go for a used one.

I hope you keep it, but these dealer games suck balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Image tags no longer working on this new software? Or just me being a fool?

100% thanks Fitz & 893.

I really dislike the whole dealer game to be honest, think it should be much easier to just buy the watch that you want. To be honest, the Datejust was always planned (with either Black or Slate dial) but planned for after the Sub, so I'll just have to swap the buying plan around. and at least it does help with having a purchase history now at both Weirs & Keanes. the Lady in Keanes said there should be a sub within 12 months for me, but who knows! I'll need to build up the buying fund until then anyway!

I'll be keeping this, and lucky me more so that it was the right time & right place, I've been into Ad's consistently over the last 2 years and haven't seen a Datejust with the right config and would always prefer to buy from an AD for complete assurance and to pay list rather than grey, especially for my first Rolex!

it’s been like Christmas week for me with watches .

got a good price on a new omega seamaster 300 diver .Really like this watch but not sure on the bracelet so will try get a rubber omega bracelet

and finally got what is a grail watch for me

Both absolute stunners Scwazrh! Congrats!

The Seamaster is absolutely gorgeous on the rubber! May I ask where you managed to get the Sub from?

Scwazrh - Stunners. The omega needs that Rubber strap, the OEM ones are worth it feel much better than your esty affair. However that Sub is a different class. Hard to think of a situation where the seamaster will get worn over the Sub once the honeymoon is over. Well wear and congrats. If boards was not a mess at the moment I would suggest a SOTC is in order.

• Advertisement

I’m on the wait list in weirs who said a good chance of getting the two tone sub within 12 months and many years for the steel sub.I think it was Fitz who said a while ago that the Rolex game is what it is and it’s up to you if you want to play it or not…I want to play so went with a preowned 2020

Thanks Fitz , yeah i got them both last Thursday and the seamaster has been on my wrist once so not sure how much wear it will get.That said I think the seamaster is “technically “ a better watch .it’s a prettier watch as well but the sub is a sub and doesn’t need to be anymore than that.

Where did you get the sub in the end.

12 months for a two tone. **** right off. Abandon Rolex lads and feel freedom.

And just to add **** this new website also. Close to hanging up my keyboard for a few months.

the forums friend on adverts . I had said to you I was talking to him but couldn’t agree a price but we got there in the end.

Still paid more than I would of liked but less than similar on chrono24 or any where else I was comfortable buying from.

And agreed, this new site is disastrous

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Calculator123

Agreed. Bar a short hiatus in recent years, I've used boards for information since 2003 I think but I can't for the life of me make sense of the new format. It's like attempting to read Ullsyses. The formating and contrast is very disorienting. Hopefully it will improve. I looked at reddit etc. before but they are impossible to navigate. Boards unfortunately looks like it's going a similar route. I don't have a personal laptop so the touch version is all I knew. A pity as I know of no alternatives but if I can't read it, I'll give up.

Well said, people either know what you talking about of they dont. I get the Rolex thing 100%. 893bet dont give up on rolex just give up on the notion of RRP. You can have any watch you want tomorrow once you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Stowa Klassik and a book I bought today in Oxfam Books. It's by a guy called Dr. Alfred Price and looks interesting, not too academic or too popular and has some interesting photos.

It's not a bad book that CT. You should enjoy it. 🙂

• Advertisement

I am slightly eyeing a gold Daytona. But only really I my head as a passing fancy and as a safe store of money. I don’t know what I want. Even looking at the thread with the top 5. Not convinced of any of them. Trying the buying for forever thing and very few watches ticking my box.

what I really need is an hour in a decent grey dealer to try on 40 watches and something will catch my fancy!

Advertisement