Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,611 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I totally get what you mean about time in a grey dealer!

I might need to head to London soon for a bit of surgery and if I go? The trip is being coopted into a boys trip for me and the lad .

Some museum visits, a Harry Potter studio tour, some shopping and a few hrs in a grey to try before I buy.

Might even hit up Harrods and join the BlackBay waitlist in there 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Irregular poster, long time lurker. Still rocking the Seiko 5 SNZF17. Still haven't found a second watch I like I know I'll wear to officially start a collection 😅. I like the look of the Smiths Everest (they appear to sell out quick however!) Great group here, fantastic watches and info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

If you're in London, it's worth booking a slot to visit a Watchfinder store. They have loads of interesting stock and the time I went, allowed me try a few different watches I was interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Timing the meat.

I've taken the skeleton hands off my old U2. I managed to misplace my original handset, my wife says they're lost...

BUT! That's not true, lost would imply that I don't know where they are. I know their general location, within a few sq mtrs it's just that there is a lot of clutter in the same area and I have yet to sort through it properly ;)

Picked up a set of near enough hands from Raffles time to fit for the time being.

This is fast becoming a beater/mod/wrecker but I love it, and it just keeps running no matter how cack handed I am.

I have the new datewheel and whilst I am able to take off the dial and replace it without wrecking it 😁 I have zero confidence in my ability to fit the new datewheel without a bit more practice on a scrap movement. Tho I am trying to convince myself the white DW is growing on me.

Also had a nice surprise browsing Chrono24. They had a U2-W up @$4750,

1st one I've seen listed and even when I knock my usual Chrono24 premium of 20%, I did very well with that buy 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭893bet

My best “value for money” watch 😁

It is gorgeous, I often look at the photo I got of it when we met and wonder what if! Induces a lusty lipsmack everytime I see it mate.

One of those ones I'd jump on asap rather than waffle and wait a year 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭mailforkev

To be honest, the sunset is probably looking better than the watch this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Had a situation recently where I (foolishly) wore one of my better watches into work and nearly got the bezel destroyed. Luckily as it was the acrylic crystal took a fair old knocking but nothing that a tube of polywatch won't remedy.

In the meantime picked up a G-Shock GD350 as a more sensible option for my day to day work. While it's a pretty big beast, there's not much worry that this one will get hurt anytime soon. Legibility is amazing too.

(Sorry the picture turned when I uploaded it and I'm still trying to get the hang of this new interface).

Love the negative display Cassius, and glad the damage wasn't too bad on the good watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Thanks Banie, it was my Glycine Airman, I know not the flashest of watches, but at the upper end of my scale...it ended up getting a good dragging along a pebble dash wall in circumstances outside my control. Still, lesson learned.

I have a few G-Shocks at this stage, and I usually prefer the all black/negative display look, although it can be a pain to read some of them. I have to say this one is really clear from all angles, I'm very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Finally getting a chance to catch up on posts after having my greatest Journey in this hobby so far!

Firstly, got the jan 67 7000 back from richard after servicing. once again, he did an incredible job, really happy with how it turned out got the Jan 67 back from Richard

Also included was the damaged center wheel

When refitting the bracelet, I encountered a problem fitting the springbar through the repaired link. Where it was repaired, the hole was no longer circular ,more oval shape

After some careful drilling, it was good to go

Once again, a huge Thank You to Richard Askham for the great work on yet another Bell! Really happy to have it back and part of my collection!

More Pictures [Link]

Next was a journey I'll never forget.....

About two weeks ago, I saw on the Seiko forum a post regarding the upcoming watch fair held in Birmingham at the National Motor Cycle Museum a couple of times a year [Link]

Have always wanted to go, especially as some of the forum members attend, including John Bentley, someone I look to regarding Bells. With the travel restrictions combined with work and not yet having received my vaccine I knew I couldn't go. Saw there is one in September so made a goal to attend that.

Then the Jansen Vaccine became available in the Pharmacy. It wasn't for my age group yet, but went ahead and applied anyways. I made a goal that if I somehow could get the vaccine in time for the July fair, I would go.

A week to go,an email for an appointment for the Vaccine! Couldn't believe I managed to get one as at the time there was so many applying,the system crashed and had to stop taking further people! Now I had my jab,it was a go!

Booked flights/ hotel and a covid test as I wasn't sure if it would be needed on the way home on the 19th, as we will learn,it was the right call.

Apperantly, Ryanair only were accepting certain PCR tests, the only one I could verify was the Midland Health clinic and the only appointment I could get was at 12:40pm on the Saturday 27th the flight was due to land at 11:40am, so it was going to be tight!

Also set up a Revolut account to make it easier with the Sterling, thankfully the card arrived just in time! Everything was coming together, as Thursday arrived, two days before I was to fly out, the hotel , Novotel Centre,could no longer take my booking due to something to do with a government contract.

Was this a warning sign not to go? Got home from work, got a refund and looked for an alternative option. Booked Jury's inn and was back on track!

Packed a bag, including my Bells to show the guys and went to bed. Saturday morning was here,in the taxi to the airport, my nerves were gone! Arrived at Departures, Guards were no where to be seen! Went inside and headed for security, two Garda were at the end of the que, me shaking like a leaf! Got to the end of the que and told him I was traveling for medical reasons ( not lying as I did actually have an medical appointment;) waved through! First part done!

Made it to the gate

Time to board... Was I going to meet John and the rest of the guys or was I going back home?

Approached the check-in, passport and ticket checked..... I WAS ON MY WAY!!!

Absolutely delighted! So great to be back on a plane and beginning a watch journey I'll never forget!

Flight arrived early, made a dash for a taxi to get to the covid test

The traffic was bad along with road works time was ticking! Getting closer and closer to 12:40pm along with the stress, it was roasting and I was in a sweat! Kept checking my phone to see how close we were as have never been to Birmingham

Made it with moments to spare!

Done and dusted,it was time to relax and enjoy Birmingham!

Got a wake up call set for 5:30am on the Sunday and went to bed full of excitement for the Fair at 7:30am

Sunday morning arrived, the highlight of the trip was about to begin!

The fair is located near the airport so about 20 minutes with no traffic and lucky given it was early,there was none. Finally after all the worries,I made it!

Got some pictures of the bikes they had at the entrance

£10 entry headed on in, sadly I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside

Started working my way around the tables,then I spotted it!!!! ( Warning to Wibbs, watch overload incomming;)

He was asking £2.2 for it, absolutely incredible to try it on, what an amazing watch!

Worked my way around and spotted aload of Seikos on one table, called out John,who I already had been chatting with via Pm before hand,I put out my arm to show him the Dolphin Bell and asked," who am I?

He knew straight away! What an incredible moment to meet someone I've been chatting with and look up to regarding Seikos for the past few years in person! There were also many other well know members attending along with many other new faces got together for group photo, from the left Andy, Jim, John , me, Ivor and Ted.

Spent hours chatting watches, spotted some other Bells but nothing really caught my eye

Then I spotted a 0624-5009 also know as the "lemon drop" one of the first lcd watches Seiko made. Took this picture and headed back to show John

Spotted John heading towards me and showed him the picture, turns out he was on his way over to make an offer on the exact same watch! After a few minutes he returned after not getting it. I was thinking about making an offer and headed back to the table.

The seller was a father and son who attend the fairs regularly. Deciding on what to do, there was another person there looking at buying it, looking for £200 but managed to get it for £180, which is a great price as they go for repair on eBay for around that. Hadn't enough cash on me, so thanks to Revolut made the payment to the son who had an account which also saved me a bit,so well worth setting it up. Fantastic watch, the quality, especially the bracelet is amazing will do a post on it in more detail.

John didn't have any Bells for sale, but he did have a 1963 Citizen Alarm date handwinder which also came home with me!

Around 1:30pm, they started packing up, walked out with John to his car and said goodbye, what an incredible day!

Didn't bother looking at the motor cyces as it was too hot to spend any more time indoors!

Monday was spent with a trip to the Cadburys factory!

The trip became a bit hectic towards the end of Monday, the flight was due to around 6pm, after waiting for a taxi back to the hotel over an hour and 40 minutes due to them being busy along with deciding to get the train from the city center to the airport and getting the wrong train, just about made it back to the airport!

Thankfully I got that covid test, the results I got on Sunday as Many people didn't make it on the plane. Many of the Passengers were wearing Rolex including a GMT and a Hulk, definitely watches are a much bigger thing over in the UK compared to here.

Probably missing loads of extra details, still trying to catch up on posts. I know I probably didn't do everything right getting the best deal regarding the covid test cost etc didn't care just want to get to the fair and would do it all over again!

Cannot believe I made it, would love to something similar with members on here with the easing of restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 42 maxmo

Great post.Thank you.

@IrishPlayer Absolutely loved your last couple of posts but the Birmingham trip in particular was a wonderful tale.

Would love to see similar in Ireland, and often thought oh there wouldn't be an interest. But the more I learn and the more people you find out are Irish as you go? There may well be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Thanks @IrishPlayer !

Cracking post.

Motorbikes and watches - two of my favorite things!

Had you worked in whiskey and science fiction, and I would be asking for your newsletter 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Great post irishplayer. It has given me ideas.

A photo from yesterday. There's a watch being worn here. My citizen jv-0000. It's a cracker of a dive watch, why did they stop making them. I saw a NOS go for €1100 recently. Nothing citizen are offering now seems to come close in terms of functionality. 4 independent hands, a backlit dot matrix LCD , a red LED,a beeper and lashings of lume.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

A great tool diver and oh look "peh" "only" 200m of wr! 😉

I knew I would forget something in the post! 😀 Another two very cool watches I spotted while at the fair I forgot to add to the post

Spotted these two from a German dealer, a Kriegsmarine pocket watch

And this B-Uhr from 1943

Unfortunately I forgot to ask the prices on both, but I'm sure they were well above my reach!

Thanks all for the replies, it was an fantastic trip!

I kinda assumed Irish player was one of the oldest chaps on the forum...had you down for 60+.......!

perceptions!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

@IrishPlayer Awesome posts.

Picked this up in the last couple of days. My first Vostok Amphibia, with a "Zissou" dial. I just had it open to try and regulate it DIY style as it was running 30 seconds fast or so. I reckon I have it much closer to 0 now.

It's a very cool watch. With a terrible strap that has now started to squeek, but it all adds to the Vostok crudeness!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Soviet/Russian bracelets are infamous for their crapness. Their rubber straps actually aren't too bad. My Chaika "Resonator", the Soviet Union's first analogue quartz watch from the late 70's.

It uses a unique stepping motor design because they didn't want to pay for western patents so went their own way. Unlike with espionage/military stuff where all sides nicked off each other, the Soviet watch industry always had an eye on potential foriegn markets and hard foriegn currency so wanted to avoid any legal issues. These were an expensive watch when new, well connected party member pricing.

Couldn't be any more Commie Kitsch if it tried. 😄 and yeah the original bracelet is a horror.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Anyone else rocking a watch tan line thanks to this fine weather ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Yes.

I'ld like to see the tan line from one of those 70mm Invictas though.

Tan....?

This forum is 98 percent ginger from the arms on show.

Not really weather for leather. But it is weather for blued hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Decent early afternoon spent bouldering. Bit warm for that carry on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another freckled tan line from this great week of sun, plus 1st attempt to upload a photo on the new boards (which admittedly is a lot easier, I found one positive of the new upgrade).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Yeah you’ve a good point .Nearly all those pics look like the same arm except for hitemfrank who has a watch arm made for Instagram

Advertisement