Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭893bet

nope. Thats my Lange. Strap is a mm too small. Have a new one for it…just need to mount it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Have looked at these on & off for a while and always decided the strap was a bit shiny but had been watching this drop in price on adverts for a while and at just over €2k its worth its price so decided to try it .

Honeymoon stage so liking it a lot at the moment but I’ll see how I go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,925 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Agreed, that's not a bad rental fee at all 😉😁

yes I thought so.As new and still under warranty till September , surely won’t lose too much if I move it on .That said I like the breitling avenger I have so may develop a thing for breitling.Ive a yearn on me for something new but not keen on buying anything of high value with the way prices are at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭893bet

had this on today for a little family occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,925 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

imo Breitling quality is up there with rolex, always liked a Breitling personally!

Pre owned Breitling seem to be one of the few brands that there is some value in.And with you on the quality , the bezel on my sub has about quarter a click backplay ,the bezel on this breitling has none.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

Youngest has his communion amárach. As is the custom, he gets to choose a watch for himself.

Matches him too, no nonsense & mad(e) for action

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As the golden rays of the setting sun, well… set😁 My dad's 1950's Longines in 14Kt gold(he bought it in the States).

It's tiny for today's tastes at 33mm(iirc), but it sits so well on the wrist. On mine anyway. Far too elegant for the likes of me. 🙂 I'm glad he resisted getting the dial "cleaned" back in the day as it's aged to a lovely linen colour. Though he did get Longines to replace the crown in the 80's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Northernsoul

Tag Kirium Formula 1. Love this watch ⌚️ 💚

That's a lovely piece Wibbs and great to have it's history and a connection with your auld lad.

I'm currently keeping an eye on vintage Omega as the young lad has decided he wants an Omega piepan for his 21st. I've plenty of time, it's not until next march but? Its a minefield of repainted, weirdly polished or Frankenstein's.

The search was originally for a dog leg pie pan, a 168 or 14381 ideally in stainless, but gold capped will do depending on condition. The amount of questionable provenance pieces at strongish money is insane.

Then while he was browsing today, he came across an Omega Geneve with sector dial and sub-seconds and triangular indices, that he has now set his mind on, as, the indices look like paper airplanes and will make the gift a little more sentimental as a "dad" gift given my own grá for aviation. The 3rd of the pics below was the original front runner, he wanted an honest watch, patina and wearing it's age proudly. After his speil about the planes tho? I'll be hunting for the Geneva 😉 Now the hunt begins in earnest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So he likes the Bulova Astronaut and now the Pie-Pan? Clearly a man with horological appreciation, an eye for design and good taste. Equally clearly he must take after his mum. 🙂

Tbh I'm also with him on that Omega Geneve. That's bloody lovely. 😲🙂 Like his paperplane tag for the indices.

With such popular and sought after models like the Pie-Pan dodgy examples are a maxim in the market. You know yourself and no better man; research, research, research.

I'm 100% with him on looking for "an honest watch, patina, wearing it's age proudly". As a bonus a watch like that is also less likely to be fecked around with. There can be a lot of apparently "NOS/unpolished/one lady owner" 50+ year old watches out there…

Fwiw B I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Oh his eye for design be it fashion, horology or indeed anything else is well developed and most certainly 100% comes from his Mam. Its nice to see that sometimes? The breeding bears out 🤣 cos it's certainly not from my side.

I agree with you, and with him, that the Geneve is a far nicer watch. Less chance of anything spurious with one too I'd hazard.

I do find myself surprised at his patience and appreciation for vintage at his age. When I was 20? If it wasn't shiny, new and modern? It wasn't any good, took me until my 30s to figure out I had it arseways😉

I really appreciate your offer to keep an eye out. I've put up a WTB over on TZUK and set a few alerts on WUS and omega forum. I think it's a ref 2903 or 2906. The omega 2748 jumbo is also a good analogue. Lots of options.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've owned two of those, and will probably end up with a 3rd at some stage. The bracelet is definitely on the shiny side but it's by far the most comfortable mesh I've ever had. Very versatile watch if you do want to change it for a strap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Post a long confirmation day.. Not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭micks_address

My good deed for the day is done 👍

I met a guy locally who had some awful pictures of a vintage Omega up on a Facebook group. I honestly thought I was meeting Unkel in disguise 😉 After meeting him, it's a better condition watch than the pictures would make it seems.

I took some photos, tho tbh, I should have just taken a video as it would show better than photos. I told him that I'd let him know if I was going to buy after I got word from the chief and that either way, I'd let him know if I could find anything out about it.

I'm no vintage expert but, I reckon he has an Omega ref 2852, plated/capped and while the dial has quite a bit of patina, too much for my lads liking, it's a watch that a service and a sympathetic cleaning could IMO do wonders for.

So after Josh said it wasn't for him 🫤 (loves making my life harder than it needs being). I sent the seller on what I think he has, what it might be worth with a bit of work and hopefully he does well out of it.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Sounds like you and the son are on a quest Banie, no doubt you'll find something and learn a whole heap along the way. Love the vintage Omegas, so stylish.

The oem bracelet and mm clasp arrived for my 62mashup. For once I feel male end links are a complimentary feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RJBreslin

couple more from the collection

• Advertisement

My one "safe queen" and a real rarity in original working order. Only bring it out on high days and holy days. 😁 Figured I'd make sure it was still running. My NOS 1970 Longines Ultra-Quartz.

In the mid 1960's Longines among many other Swiss brands were part of a co-op to spread the financial and intellectual investment to produce the first Swiss quartz, but had enough cash left over to produce their own in house movement(which ended up in court as the others in the co-op got pissed off with Longines). The so called "Project Hourglass"

And boy did they smoke the funny tobacco while doing so. Because "silicon chips" were a large chunk of the cost of producing these new quartz movements back then, Longines decided to build theirs using discrete components(from the hearing aid industry of all things) of 14 transistors, 19 resistors and 7 capacitors. Hand soldered no less. The hand cut and tuned natural Brazilian quartz(near an inch long)vibrates at 9350hz. This is the "master" signal, the "slave" is similar to an Accutron tuning fork arrangement running at 170Hz, which drives the hands, with the circuitry balancing the rates. The world's first and only "Cybernetic" watch. The movement is truly off the scale nuts:

In the end it wasn't much cheaper to produce and so was a very expensive watch at the time. So much so that they came with free insurance against loss/theft. Their bigger problem was their delicacy. That big dumbbell tuning fork thingie was/is very delicate and can go open circuit very easily after a hard knock . In Longines literature of the time the only spare part listed was the entire movement…

The setting crown is on the caseback like many Accutrons and like Accutrons the seconds hand sweep is ultra smooth. The other thing about these is the sound, more like the noise. Accutrons hum, but this thing buzzes. You can actually feel it on your wrist if you concentrate on it. No way a light sleeper could have one in the room with them. By the mid 70's and quartz tech being much cheaper and much more robust these went the way of the dodo. Longines offered a newer quartz movement to replace the original(mostly taken up by those who had bought 18kt examples), drilling the side of the case to add a crown at 3.

These still come up for sale today, but many if not most are not working, or part working. Even Longines in one of their ads featuring one showed it ticking like any other quartz, so it didn't have the original engine. These chew batteries. 6-8 months kinda thing. I suspect all that energy going on. It's bloody accurate though even 50+ years later.

With its sister, another early quartz(1971)

So after today mine again goes back into it's safe space. Until next time. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

New watch day... Have been eyeing this for a little while and bit the bullet last week, and bought it. Honestly, I love it! It is exactly my style. Looks modern, and fun with the quality of finishing that you would expect from Sinn.

That now brings me to 3 Sinns (this 105, a 104, and a U50). I had said no more watches until a big one for my 40th, but this got inside my head and I couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭furiousox

The time in Puerto Banus is....

CPL 593H

if ever there was an occasion for a yachtmaster II

You need a 103 so ya can get a nice sequence going 😉

Lovely watch and may wear it always in good health👍

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RJBreslin

love the lume on this.

Seiko lume; the best out there in my humble. I was lucky enough to get a vial of Seiko lume powder donkey's years ago. Still have some left after I relumed a few very old originally radium lumed watches(cos that shtuff's not healthy at all😱😁). I find it glows like a torch and with a half decent charge lasts the night with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Picked this up recently the day my son was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Back again at Reading college this morning for Maths level 2 exam on the road to watchmaking school in August!

Hope everyone is doing well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭micks_address

Best of luck with the exam IP!

Advertisement