Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I don't know whether to be flattered or offended 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Hairy Ginger Bastard (not ginger BTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Seconds count.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,611 ✭✭✭✭banie01

With all the recent wonderful sunshine, I can only assume some of us have been taking the opportunity to see our lume in action?

I know I have 😁

San Martin (pronounced San Mar-tan) retro diver. Any resemblance to the Tudor BB58 is purely accidental.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I was glad to get this back early last week, pain that it had to go back but fair play to JLC who repaired it quickly and without fuss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

That's stunner, @Cyrus

What's the tiny quadrant at 1 O'Clock?

it is a dont change the date warning, so between i think 9/10 pm and 3 am its blue as a warning not to advance the date via pusher.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Farmer tan (dirt) here, no freckles. Giving my Toyota LC an oil change and of course I had to wear a Japanese watch for the job. First attempt at uploading a pic with the new boards.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

More 70s funk, a grand quartz 9943-8000. It's a twin quartz. It has two quartz crystals, thermal compensation is achieved by correcting the time base of one with data from the other. I'm trying to figure out exactly how this is done, and why the designer chose to use two oscillators in a watch, rather than one and a temperature sensor. I'm going to guess that seiko had deep knowledge of the thermal characteristics of quartz and applied that. My first stab is the crystals have differing temperature coefficients, the controller counts both, and from the difference can calculate the thermal correction to be applied.

The end result is +/- 10 seconds a year in 1979. It's no wonder they were barred from chronometer trials, soul-less abominations.

Anyway, these were in the 150,000 yen bracket when new. This one seems ok, bit of staining on the dial, bracelet to be replaced with a fine leather strap, dark brown, I think but I'm open to suggestions. Plating seems good on it too. The second hand is so fine, it's finer than human hair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a twin quartz. It has two quartz crystals, thermal compensation is achieved by correcting the time base of one with data from the other. I'm trying to figure out exactly how this is done, and why the designer chose to use two oscillators in a watch, rather than one and a temperature sensor. I'm going to guess that seiko had deep knowledge of the thermal characteristics of quartz and applied that. My first stab is the crystals have differing temperature coefficients, the controller counts both, and from the difference can calculate the thermal correction to be applied.

That's pretty much the reason NJ. A few years later in 84 Longines did the same thing with having two oscillators with their first very high precision VHP quartz.

My 1988 version(shielded against electromagnetism) which I happen to be wearing this very day. They also added temperature compensation to the mix and adjustment for drift and ageing of the quartz over time. Belt and braces like. 😁

It's no wonder they were barred from chronometer trials, soul-less abominations

Ironically that wasn't about quartz. The Swiss were heavily invested in that new tech in the 60's spending squillions on it. More than any one company could support so they formed a conglomerate to fund it. And then entering their quartz movements into the competition, which naturally gave them the top spots. No, the Swiss were pissed off at the Japanese because they went from also rans to serious competitors in under a decade. When the last trials were run all the top spots were Swiss quartz, the only others in the top ten were Seiko mechanicals. Seiko basically produced about the most accurate wristwatch movement in the history of the Swiss chronometer trials and the only thing that could beat them were high precision quartz.

Oh and unlike the heavily modded and fettled to within a micron of their lives usual trial movements fare, you could actually walk into a shop and buy the Seiko movement in a watch, with the officially licenced "Observatory Chronometer" text on the dial. Basically about the highest standard. The only other brand that could use that were of all brands Girard Perregaux around the same time. Other brands had put forward movements for Observatory Chronometer status, but they were all heavily modified one offs with massive balance wheels and very slow beat chronometer escapements.

So the Swiss took their ball back, changed the rules so no non Swiss upstarts could ever compete again and show them up and closed the trials. I heard they were restarting them, but only for the Swiss of course...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Solar Power

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

No freckles here either

This is my SKX013. Bought on the cheap on eBay a couple of years ago 'cos I really liked the small SKX. Then when it arrived it i turned out it needed a bit of TLC and also it was modded - and I never really wore it. Tried to move it on only to find out when I did a final wear test it was actually broken and wouldnt run properly. Ugh.

At that point it was either bin it or repair it. In the end I got a new movement fitted (NH36A) and a new AR sapphire and a new chapter ring put in. Also some general maintenance like o-rings etc.

Came out lovely and will be adding it to the rota.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

good to see it back runnung!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭covey123

Yema Sous Marine

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Is that a champagne dial? I do like that as a dial colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you ever consider moving it on, give me 1st dibs!

Enjoying a cooler evening and trying out some sparkly friendship bracelet band courtesy of my niece 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Newly arrived today. To tell the truth my interest had waned in the watch world once I found a big Seiko diver, but I always had an eye on a start up crowd called Phoibus. I missed their first issue, but last week an ad for the Leviathan popped into my inbox, and drunk-purchase later in she came. Model PY032a.

https://phoiboswatch.com/products/phoibos-leviathan-py032a-500m-automatic-diver-watch-green.html

I can't believe the quality for the price. The lume is unreal, even better than the Seiko. Gets fantastic reviews, let's see how long it lasts. Really not sure about this new site, but I'll give it a go.

Post edited by SmartinMartin on

Unlikely to happen in the near future since I just kind of committed to the watch, but I take it as a compliment and will keep you in mind. Thanks!

Swiss-Chinese chrono

That's a very, very smart looking diver!

Well wear Martin, enjoy it and I may join you in the Phoibos club as the blue is quite nice 😉

Got one again, Lets see how it goes, probably coming to a for sale ad near you soon.

Are you going to do a YT review of the Speedie Fitz?

I kinda remember you being a bit dismissive of it recently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That would be interesting to hear your take on the Speedie alright Fitz. Be prepared for youtube anger though. 😁 They're a great watch, a real icon, but at the same time don't seem to last in many people's collections for some reason. I got one myself 20 odd years ago and was all excira and delira, but again I didn't hold onto it for too long.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I will, I was. Nobody can ever accuse me of stating my preference from an inexperienced position. Mostly I got this one cause there is profit in it for me as speedmasters are on a steady rise ATM. I dont think they are bad watches, they are just not all that interesting visually and I have comfort issues with them. I will see if that repeats itself with this one.

Advertisement