Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

The prices for OEM do see quite high if its purely a price consideration. I have two deployants i bought off ebay while in the US that were sold as Omega but i wouldnt be surprised if they were fake. I don't really like the depolyant concept on my wrist.. maybe i need more time with it. I remember looking at an OEM rubber for the AT that had steel inserts at the end links that looked awesome but its priced at like 600 pounds all in with strap, steel parts and deployant... thats a lot for a rubber strap

Buying new direct from an AD is pricey. That’s why many get these extras thrown in for free as deal sweeteners. I have never bought new from an AD but have bought most of my omega straps and deployants in new or nearly new condition on TZ for a lot less than the new price in the AD.

I have had at least 4 different deployant and a variety of rubber, leather and natos by omega. Quality impeccable.

Expensive. Yes, relative to a snide.....But.....When I sold resold (after plenty of use) the loss was negligible for most. The fake is worthless for resale.

Would you buy a Ferrari and put on budget tyres (we love a car analogy around here).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

How do you find the strap? It looks good at the watch lugs. I could never look past the bracelt on the aqua terra.. never tried it on anything else :)

It's very flexible and comfortable, think I'll leave it on for a while or maybe at some time swap it for a blue rubber one that I also recently acquired.

The bracelet was a devil to remove, eventually had to take out one of the screw bars and open the bracelet flat to get the right angle with my spring bar removal tool.

I still have two fake Omega deployant clasps if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

893bet wrote: »
    Buying new direct from an AD is pricey. That’s why many get these extras thrown in for free as deal sweeteners. I have never bought new from an AD but have bought most of my omega straps and deployants in new or nearly new condition on TZ for a lot less than the new price in the AD.

I have had at least 4 different deployant and a variety of rubber, leather and natos by omega. Quality impeccable.

Expensive. Yes, relative to a snide.....But.....When I sold resold (after plenty of use) the loss was negligible for most. The fake is worthless for resale.

Would you buy a Ferrari and put on budget tyres (we love a car analogy around here).

I found the omega Natos well priced and quality. For about 150 euro I thought they were awesome. Youd pay 80 euro for an omega buckle on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

893bet wrote: »
    Like anything fake there will be a lot of variability from one clasp to the next and one batch to the next. So you had 2 and one was poor and one seemed “comparable”. So from that sample size 50 percent were crap. I am confident could tell in hand fairly easily between the two.

In any case quality issues aside. I cant understand buying an expensive watch and putting it on a 20 quid fake depolyant. They are not after market. They are fake. Using terms like aftermarket seeks to normalise it.

I get your point but it is somewhat irrational. If one cant tell the difference it only exists in ones head, no? Maybe not with a diamond ring or a Ferrari, but a watch clasp?

Anyway to tell you the truth (CT - erm, cover your ears/eyes) I couldnt really remember had I the original clasp left on the leather strap (pretty sure I did) or was it the loose one?
    All I knew for sure was if I sold the lot I was indeed going to sell one original Omega clasp. Only which one is which...

Maybe Cycling could post a couple of pics and we can all make up our minds together? Sorry Cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I get your point but it is somewhat irrational. If one cant tell the difference it only exists in ones head, no? Maybe not with a diamond ring or a Ferrari, but a watch clasp?

Depends on how serious you are about the originality of your watches. With watches is all about how if feels in your mind. I hate having non OEM parts on a good watch like an Omega. You can extend the logic into fake dials, fake hands etc where you draw the line is just a matter of degrees, the replica watch enthusiast has very similar though processes.

I consider the strap, clasp or bracelet an integral part of the watch. I wont even have a non OEM springbar, it would gnaw at me. But I am a psycho.

Its the Omega Logo that is the give away on these, the fakes tend to have slipshod soldering of a larger than normal omega logo onto the clasp.

• Advertisement

Yes I get that. I was the same when I bought the AT and considered the clasp with a different strap (I really like clasps). Felt if I ever was going wear it it had to be the 'original' clasp.

Only then I got the aftermarket/fake one with a strap and it was practically identical. And then I went oh well so I spent 100something Euro on little piece of steel that is made for 2.50 and can be bought for 25 only Omega wants 250.

I get the feeling of 'not the real thing' but I think everybody has to draw their own line. I have a classic motorbike and people charge 15 quid for a pair of M4 screws just because they come in a little plastic bag with the orig Yamaha sticker and partno on it. And people pay it too. But at the end they're still just a couple of M4 bolts.

Maybe Cycling could post a couple of pics and we can all make up our minds together? Sorry Cycling.

Spot the fake clasps

554846.JPG

554847.JPG

Not very hard in close up like this but closed on a wrist, not so easy.

I’ll add my two omega clasps later. I would guess the middle one is oem?

One of mine

4-BB4-C1-C9-F19-B-4352-A807-2-BDC4-F2-C8-C91.jpg
    FCA92010-0-FF0-4-ECF-8178-70192-E4-F6-E69.jpg
    who wrote stop all the clocks cut off the telephone

Yes. The left one is the 'crappy' one. The one on the right...you really need to know your Omega clasps.

• Advertisement

The middle OEM omega clasp looks way better, its not even close. Of course with your eye shut and from a distance you cant tell, but thats an tautological statement. Watches are miniature machines, miniature works of art. The small things do matter and the only thing you look at more than the dial on a watch is the strap and buckle. No point in my humble sullying your lovely quality timepiece and undercutting yourself with a rubbish strap and clasp. You want the full experiance.

There is a saying in my line of work that "Attention to detail is what you do when nobody is looking". But as I said I am a psycho.

Fitz II wrote: »
    The middle OEM omega clasp looks way better, its not even close. Of course with your eye shut and from a distance you cant tell, but thats an tautological statement. Watches are miniature machines, miniature works of art. The small things do matter and the only thing you look at more than the dial on a watch is the strap and buckle. No point in my humble sullying your lovely quality timepiece and undercutting yourself with a rubbish strap and clasp. You want the full experiance.

There is a saying in my line of work that "Attention to detail is what you do when nobody is looking". But as I said I am a psycho.

Ha I get that. Its the same in my line of work. I write some code and I'm pretty sure nobody will ever look at it. Well maybe they do if they have to add something to it. But mostly no.
    But writing something that 'somehow' works was never good enough for me. It has to be right and tidy with no loose ends or else it freaks me out.

But writing something that 'somehow' works was never good enough for me. It has to be right and tidy with no loose ends or else it freaks me out.

100% thats called pride of ownership.

Is my one real or fake?

Is my one real or fake?

I would say it real but hard to tell stand alone and on those photos. Any more macro photos? or side by sides, otherwise it just a game of gotcha

I would say it real but hard to tell stand alone and on those photos. Any more macro photos? or side by sides, otherwise it just a game of gotcha

I can take more photos. This was the seller on eBay

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/silversable/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

BTW the textile strap is also fake as it's stamped Omega. The leather strap is genuine, it's not stamped Omega just genuine leather.

Was that a Gotcha :rolleyes: ...thats my point, you need good photos side by side. Photos like this post here, and even if there was zero visible difference its still unworthy.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/omega-genuine-vs-fake-deployment-deployant-foldover-clasp-with-detailed-photos.5122037/

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

On the topic of deployant clasps, particularly for Omega, I’m still on the look out for a genuine deployant for my speedy pro if anyone has one that they’re looking to part with!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Depends on how serious you are about the originality of your watches. With watches is all about how if feels in your mind. I hate having non OEM parts on a good watch like an Omega. You can extend the logic into fake dials, fake hands etc where you draw the line is just a matter of degrees, the replica watch enthusiast has very similar though processes.

I consider the strap, clasp or bracelet an integral part of the watch. I wont even have a non OEM springbar, it would gnaw at me. But I am a psycho.

Very much agree with this . I don’t see the point of fake branded straps or clasps .If you’re happy with fake accessories you may as well wear a fake watch .luxury watches are about a lot more than price and sticking a cheap fake strap or clasp on it goes against the whole ownership experience .

Aftermarket straps and clasps are fine and enjoyable to mess about with but once it has a brand name and isn’t genuine it’s fit only for the bin .

• Advertisement

scwazrh wrote: »
    Very much agree with this . I don’t see the point of fake branded straps or clasps .If you’re happy with fake accessories you may as well wear a fake watch .luxury watches are about a lot more than price and sticking a cheap fake strap or clasp on it goes against the whole ownership experience .

Aftermarket straps and clasps are fine and enjoyable to mess about with but once it has a brand name and isn’t genuine it’s fit only for the bin .

The only thing I’d say about straps is that there are some fine leather and other types of straps that are probably better quality than oem...I’d have no problem wearing them on a watch

Of course mick . I’ve a good few aftermarket leather straps for my Panerai but none of the clasps and straps have Panerai on them , only the genuine clasp and straps have that on it .
    Aftermarket straps are part of the hobby but a strap with a brand name on it , that wasn’t made by that brand is a fake , no matter how good it is

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The only thing I’d say about straps is that there are some fine leather and other types of straps that are probably better quality than oem...I’d have no problem wearing them on a watch

Absolutely - there's a difference between non-OEM and fake. You probably pay a premium for the (fake) logo on the latter.

Sometimes it's hard to find a good replacement for an OEM bracelet, but I find it hard to believe that watchmakers make their own leather straps, and aren't outsourcing it to strap makers (who are selling a very similar strap for less).

All the panerai straps that seller has up are fake , even the ones he titles as genuine and authentic. I always work on the basis of if they are selling anything that is fake , then everything they are selling is fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I posted a few months ago about buying a canvas Aviator strap for my IWC.
    It was delivered with an IWC branded clasp (not advertised with, of course).
    The difference in quality between the rep and the real in that instance was night and day.
    Rougher overall finish, the locking action was poor and snagged and the engravings were all very sharp, which doesn't sound like a bad thing but just added to an overall sense of poor finishing.

Now all of that said, the IWC doesn't have it's original strap.
    Its main one is a custom made crocodile strap that would probably look far better on a Portuguesier than a Flieger chrono.
    I do have some new Flieger straps to try out when it gets back to me from service tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

Horoaddict wrote: »
    On the topic of deployant clasps, particularly for Omega, I’m still on the look out for a genuine deployant for my speedy pro if anyone has one that they’re looking to part with!

Jesus based on the last 3 pages this is the last place I would be looking for a real deployant given how many have no idea if the ones they have are real or not.

But they were a bargain price. And that’s valued more than quality around here by far too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭banie01

scwazrh wrote: »
    All the panerai straps that seller has up are fake , even the ones he titles as genuine and authentic. I always work on the basis of if they are selling anything that is fake , then everything they are selling is fake.

Is there any specific tells for those straps Scwarzh?
    Usually I'd be wary just on price, but that seller has quite good feedback and a lot of sales.
    It would be one that would probably draw a sale from me if I was looking solely on the basis that noone has called him out.

Also as I know nowt about Panerai, any steer on tells would be much appreciated.

banie01 wrote: »
    Is there any specific tells for those straps Scwarzh?
    Usually I'd be wary just on price, but that seller has quite good feedback and a lot of sales.
    It would be one that would probably draw a sale from me if I was looking solely on the basis that noone has called him out.

Also as I know nowt about Panerai, any steer on tells would be much appreciated.

As you say price would make you raise a eyebrow first. On the actual straps though -

First thing is where the spring bar or screw bar in Panerai's case are fitted there should be a tube insert , genuine modern Panerai straps don't come without the tube.

If you look at the letter A , the small piece that remains in the letter is the wrong size .You can see the difference if you compare that part with my Panerai straps .

Colour seems off on some of the straps , that may be picture quality but between the colour shade and how shiny the thicker parts of the strap , I would say its not the best quality rubber being used.

If you look at the cutout for the buckle tongue you can see rough edges where the hole is formed ,Panerai QC wouldn't let that out and if a few did slip through quality control they would hardly all end up with the same ebay seller.

Im not a 100% on this bit but any rubber straps I have seen say "made in Italy " and those ones say "Panerai Italy"

[IMG][/img]fkkUjah.jpg

Yeah the prices for sure seem to be to good to be true there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

This evening's combination.
    SKX on black velvet.

554878.jpg

Advertisement