Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

My every day watch since I bought her 14 months ago. I really love this piece. a) for what it is, such a beautiful watch and b) it ended the watch buying for me. I still have a couple of others and I like them too, so I think I'm done selling, but 'she' is the one. Has some symbolic value too since the last year has been tough on a personal level and she's been a reminder that no its not that bad that material things like this no longer matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I'm looking at a black version. Wondering if I can get over my aversion to the hands though. Lovely watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭Homer

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

40 bday present to myself. SBG 321. My first GS. Some dose removing the links. I had to remove 5. She's quite nice imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Speedmaster 3861.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Over the weekend I decided to try something I'd avoided attempting before. Namely regulating one of my Accuquartz Centenary yokes. One runs crazy accurate, under 30 secs a year. The other runs fast, a couple of seconds a week kinda thing. This won't do…

The majority of early quartz(and well into the 80's) had trimmers where you could -/+ the timekeeping for accuracy. Basically a knob you could turn one way or t'other. But Bulova? Ah jaysus no. That would be too easy. Instead they went with abso-feckin-lutely tiny screws you added or subtracted to the "tuning capacitor" depending on the -/+ shift you desired.

Note they reckon you can get it to within three minutes per year. My accurate one blows that out of the water. Even the wayward one wouldn't be too far off three minutes per year. So in I went, cursing and gibbering as I did so.

First I had to come to grips with some sums.

Then in with the screwdriver. Did I mention cursing?

Look at the size of that fecking screw. Getting one out is easy. I say easy… Getting one back in is a purgatory. And I couldn't find my loupe so had to rely on the Mark 1 Human Eyeball™. But I can report so far anyway it's locked in tight with oul atomic time. 🤞🤘

Bulova's response to getting in on the new quartz thing was clever. They used their base accutron movement, but changed the frequency of the tuning fork from 360hz to 341.3, which apparently makes the quartz frequency of 32,768hz divisible into one second via the chip, or something. Universal Geneve stuck one of these movements into one of their early quartz. Cool thing is the smooth tuning fork seconds hand. Though it's now relegated to just driving the hands rather than also being the escapement as it is in the true Accutron. Nerd fact; the Accutron is the only escapement that also directly drives the hands.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On topic; today I was wearing this big oul daft thing again:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This build isn't what I pictured in my head, but I wasn't arsed starting over with different parts from AliX and the wait that comes with it. That said, I can't see myself wearing it too much, so I might actually start over and make more of a flieger style. It kills a few hours, if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭covey123

Taking a moment to enjoy the news of landing of what I hope works out to be my dream job

A few years of being on a seriously steep learning curve and being well out of my comfort zone on many occasions has hopefully finally paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Advertisement

Today's desk diver

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lovely watch but, more importantly, congratulations and best of luck in the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭covey123

Thanks Banie👍.

Need to get googling a celebratory watch now😄

I was taking a trawl through Chrono24 last night and I stumbled upon a Sinn 903 navigator variant that looks very interesting. I don't think the seller knows what he has, as he's got it listed as an automatic. I'm fairly certain it's a handwind.

If I'm understanding the dial, I think it's a 24hr dial, also that it's running on a handwound Lemania 1877 movement. I am not a fan of the gold plating but if it's what I think it is? Even with VAT when landed here, it makes for a potentially decent bargain. Its listed at $1287 + shipping and if it's what I think it is? Its a €3-3.5k watch IMHO.

I'm still very much on a hiatus though, so good and all as it might be, it's not for me, at least not yet. Now that said? If it was a stainless steel one, it'd already be on its way to me.

https://www.chrono24.com/sinn/903--id32897364.htm?searchHash=c4f4ad08_ugS8ax&pos=38

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Currently wearing mine too.

Dug it out this weekend for a trip to Prague to see Rammstein. It's usually my go to for concerts where I know I'm going to have a big feed of pints, can take some beating!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

zenith today, lovely watch, I take it for granted when it isn't worn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭Homer

topping up the solar charge on my Seiko speedtimer while the sun shines ☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭scwazrh

two very similar watches there at opposite ends of the price scale

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Popped on the Tudor today, it's been a while.

Must put it back on the bracelet for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭893bet

Lovely evening sun

• Advertisement

That really is such a beautiful piece. I will say after handling it, that it's certainly a watch worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

did you change the strap on it? think the previous one as 1mm to narrow? that looks a better fit… or maybe it expanded to fill the gap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭furiousox

Steinhart kind of day today.

CPL 593H

I wonder if it's a local who bought this? I'd sworn off it but, yesterday I said ah sure why not! Submitted an offer for £900 that was accepted. Alas someone else bought it before I got round to sending the payment and closing the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RJBreslin

A small selection of my collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RJBreslin

hi I’ll try and get some more up. But I’ve an Omega Moonwatch Professional, a couple of Sturmanskis (Yuri Gagarin Chronograph) and a pilot watch. Couple of Tags including Link Chrono. Solid silver pocket watch from 1880. And a few other digital and quartz pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

To my eye, there's something decidedly SteamPunk about the Chronomat.

No bad thing to me.

• Advertisement

May have been overcast earlier, but the oul UV was strong enough.😯

Advertisement