Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Per the map here it is in the Shannon Local Electoral Area which is what the quoted figures refer to.

Even so though, the after match celebrations were obviously an issue and the GAA took action and cancelled all club matches before being prompted to do so by the authorities.

Edit: linky: https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

To add anyone from smb would do their shopping/business in Shannon or limerick also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It’s difficult to tell if Eamon Ryan is asleep or awake most of the time.

I am not being funny, I think he has some mental health issues. He looks like he has had a nervous breakdown at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

circadian wrote: »

I live close to SMB and have in laws living there and I didn't hear of any cases arising from their county championship win. The management of the Clare minor footballers didn't cover themselves in glory lately alright, packing them all into a bus to Galway I believe and now we're dealing the some consequences of that. A major breakout occurred a few weeks ago too, linked to a large Traveller family. Kilrush also seems to be high in numbers too, for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

Danno wrote: »
    Utter muck framing conclusions from LEA data. My own LEA is almost the size of county Louth and our county final was suspended. Take your axe with the GAA and grind it someplace else.

I guess you didn't read the start of the post " I think those gatherings increased the pace of spread rather than caused the increase in numbers initially."

I'm not completely blaming the GAA or the clubs. The numbers were on the rise but those areas that had celebrations after a Championship win seen a sharp rise in numbers. Not all of them linked to these events, of course not, but surely there is some level of correlation. Especially considering those clubs that got wins earlier in August when national numbers weren't rising as quickly didn't see as sharp a rise in their LEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

315 in hospital, 41 in, 25 out.

41 admissions in 24 hours is the highest since May 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Benimar wrote: »
    As somebody who can't stand Leo, I have to say he's correct here!

The day starts at 0:00 and ends at 23:29

So what’s the weird time between 11:30pm and 11:59pm??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Big Ears wrote: »
    I talked to a Dr. working in public health and they informed me gyms haven't had a meaningful impact on spreading the virus (despite what many would initially think), so there isn't data to support closing them either.

But let's be real, nobody was expecting them to take an evidence based approach to this

Was there not one gym in dublin responsible for a 56 person cluster?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

So what’s the weird time between 11:30pm and 11:59pm??

The Twilight Zone where anything and everything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The lockdown will only buy us time. Their seems to be nothing happening regarding upscaling test, track and trace and no mention on airports and International travel. That is very concerning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

wadacrack wrote: »
    The lockdown will only buy us time. Their seems to be nothing happening regarding upscaling test, track and trace and no mention on airports and International travel. That is very concerning

Their plan is... Hold on like this until a vaccine. In and out of rolling lockdowns and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

mloc123 wrote: »
    Their plan is... Hold on like this until a vaccine. In and out of rolling lockdowns and hope for the best.

And unfortunately the masses will lap it up. And when we’re told it’s our fault once again we’ll bend over and start blaming other people rather than holding anyone in power accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    Exactly 22 hours from covid test to result. I'm impressed by that, not gonna lie. Negative of course.

Was that Dublin? I can’t relax waiting for my Oh (24 hours now) but I know it could be tomorrow (or even later)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Sorry if this has been answered. I can't find concrete information on the government website. Does anyone know if tradespeople can still work in homes?

We recently bought a house and are due to have gates installed, electrics redone and painters in. Does this work fall under construction? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

they opened a test centre in the town i live in under level 4, then closed it at weekends due to lack of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why not post the actual infection rate from sixmilebridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Longing

An Easyjet passenger is thrown off the Belfast to Edinburgh flight after she refused to wear a face covering.

https://twitter.com/LFC_blano/status/1317948341544800258

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

they opened a test centre in the town i live in under level 4, then closed it at weekends due to lack of use.
    They should have allowed walk-ins. Going through a GP for an appointment puts some people off, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Was there not one gym in dublin responsible for a 56 person cluster?

Then maybe the protocols and practices in that gym were wrong, not the fact it was a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Longing wrote: »
    An Easyjet passenger is thrown off the Belfast to Edinburgh flight after she refused to wear a face covering.

She should've just bought a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I agree.... it is absolutely crazy... Lock the locals up to reduce the numbers but keep topping the numbers up from abroad !

New Zealand has the capacity to find out where the virus came from by looking at individual viral genomes.

"Using genomic analysis, researchers in New Zealand looked at more than half the confirmed cases in the country and found a staggering 277 separate introductions in the early months, but also that only 19 percent of introductions led to more than one additional case."

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/09/k-overlooked-variable-driving-pandemic/616548/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

What happens if she gets the ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Let's be honest, it's not really a "lockdown" is it?

Nonsensical restrictions that will be ignored and some places closed without any sort of explanation as to how they will bring the R number down.

Guard: Where you going?

- Bubble, Work, Shopping, Collecting the young lads from training, school, child care, Graves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭political analyst

What happens if she gets the ferry?

Doesn't the same rule apply on the ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Holy F. And 'coughing' at people too on way out. Ignorant cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Doesn't the same rule apply on the ferry?

Walk the plank

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭boetstark

Boggles wrote: »
    Let's be honest, it's not really a "lockdown" is it?

Nonsensical restrictions that will be ignored and some places closed without any sort of explanation as to how they will bring the R number down.

Guard: Where you going?

- Bubble, Work, Shopping, Collecting the young lads from training, school, child care, Graves.

Absolutely agree. Plus the amount of retailers deemed essential is far more than deemed non essential. Sports still going on plus most of this stuff is advice only. Got a haircut this morning and my barber is considering staying open.
    Curfews now that would sort things out pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

They should have allowed walk-ins. Going through a GP for an appointment puts some people off, I'd imagine.

plenty of complaints that it was too open, on a busy road, everyone could see you going in etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Hubertj wrote: »
    who do these union officials think they are? "the government has to convince me.....". Just wow..... delusions of grandeur.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40067835.html

To be fair the schools have no control over contract tracing. Why should they not be concerned about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I said many, not all. But yes, I completely agree with you on the level 3 point. If everyone made the effort we wouldn't be having another full lockdown. Without a doubt.

My point was aimed at those who just didn't bother following level 3 rules and then complaining about lockdown.

Yes. I’ll admit it. Me going for pints is what caused the govts track and trace to collapse. It’s also what stopped the country from making any significant inroads with our health service in the last six months. It has forced the govt to, rather than enlist the thousands of volunteers who applied to help, to pull staff from front line services in the community to help out in Covid centres.

If I hadn’t had those pints all of the above could have been done and for that I apologise profusely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I guess you didn't read the start of the post " I think those gatherings increased the pace of spread rather than caused the increase in numbers initially."

I'm not completely blaming the GAA or the clubs. The numbers were on the rise but those areas that had celebrations after a Championship win seen a sharp rise in numbers. Not all of them linked to these events, of course not, but surely there is some level of correlation. Especially considering those clubs that got wins earlier in August when national numbers weren't rising as quickly didn't see as sharp a rise in their LEA.

Correlation is not causation.

Unfortunately sometimes even decision makers in NEPHET and the civil service don't seem to grasp this.

For example, see the nonsense Advertisement from the HSE a couple of weeks ago about a covid cluster apparently caused by one couple who went for a meal and then to two houses. They "infected" 7 people in the restaurant and went on to "infect" two other families in their homes etc etc.

There is no way on earth that you could definitively say who had been infected first and therefore who infected who. But unfortunately whoever came up with that tweet believed that correlaton = causation.

All this type of discussion is doing is sowing division and encouraging people to blame others whether its young people, county finals, meat factories, travellers etc etc.

This is a highly infectious virus lads and its everywhere - nobody is to blame. Time to learn to manage and live with it.
    Trying to stop it without entirely destroying our societies and economies is akin to trying to stop the sun setting in the west or the rain falling from the sky

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement