Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

seamus wrote: »
    NPHET are looking at this with a medium-term view of rolling lockdowns.

A three week lockdown would buy us (say) 4-5 weeks before we have to lock down again. A six week lockdown will buy us 8-10 weeks.

That's NPHET's aim. The "living with COVID" thing is not part of their strategy.
    Living with covid is a set of levels that can be applied as rolling lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

xabi wrote: »
    What happens between 23:29 and 00:00?

Its preferable not to feed a mogwai then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

gizmo23 wrote: »
    Are we ignoring the fact it was outside gaa ground these happened .... and when it happened inside ... what did the gaa do ?? CANCELLED ALL CLUB GAMES with immediate effect.

Are we ignoring it's actually NPHET ( the public health experts who are beyond reproach) have said its grand lads continue the gaa.

The people who took the piss "celebrating" a county title or whatever bs they did.. would have found a way be it pubs house parties or drinking in a park.

The GAA had the opportunity to get the message across that these types of gatherings would not be tolerated. Potential fines/docked points or whatever for breaches.

But they didn't.

I agree that other sports should be stopped for the foreseeable. LoI has a mixture of professional and semi pro clubs, it's risky although not linked to outbreaks yet. Rugby probably not as risky but I'm not overly familiar with the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭growleaves

You should be I think. Unless the hotel has decided that staying open for just "existing guests" and essential travellers is not worth it. They might not want to take on a tiny amount of new bookings and keep the hotel open.

It is very difficult to cater to guests that don't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

A three week lockdown would buy us (say) 4-5 weeks before we have to lock down again. A six week lockdown will buy us 8-10 weeks.

That's NPHET's aim. The "living with COVID" thing is not part of their strategy.

Is it though? Public health have been completely underfunded.
    Why was the health system scaled up.

As I understand it they make recommendations.
    Then the government ignore them.
    Then when it's blindingly obvious they listen to them but by then it's too late to have the desired effect.

Responsibility is governments. If they don't like NPHET's prognosis they can always get a second opinion much the same way you would with any medical issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Given that the aftermath of this pandemic will be the economic equivalent of Armageddon, making the 2008 crisis look like a minor road-traffic collision, there might be severe cutbacks to the health service.

Will the government still be as concerned with the lives of vulnerable people then? What will happen if a pandemic of a different virus takes place at that point - how will a health service subjected to cutbacks cope then?

Don’t worry about it. Thank Gaia there is a plan in place, the great Reset a great stroke of luck that it existed just as Covid 19 came along. Our delegates would have heard all about it in Davos back in January from Klaus, good old Klaus, what a great guy.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/504499-introducing-the-great-reset-world-leaders-radical-plan-to%3famp

Our experts, leaders and aristocrats will look after us, don’t worry.

Even the jolly old Prince of Wales is on board..

https://www.weforum.org/videos/great-reset-hrh-prince-of-wales-we-have-no-alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Lots of non-essential retail can find a way to stay open, especially due to the click-and-collect clause in the text of essential retail

That only works for businesses in cities and large towns. Smaller towns where most of your customers live outside the 5km zone it’s tough for them to survive. Same for coffee shops. You might be able to keep going in Dublin but a village... not a chance your customers live too far away.
    The 5km rule is very different in rural Ireland versus urban places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

MarkY91 wrote: »
    It's supposed to be for essential reasons only, no?

We have 2 nights this weekend in clayton hotel, cardiff lane but now have absolutely no idea if they're going to allow us to check in or not.

Yea if you check in thursday or friday i can see this but if we check in Wednesday we will be existing guests when the rules kick in.

Just wondering if the facilities like bar and restaurant will be also open

prunudo wrote: »
    It really shows the lack of thought by many in society, so many buisnesses and workers on the brink and all they care about is their skinny latte.
    Probably same people will be giving out about the new restrictions without realise the effects of their own behaviours.

Without a shadow of a doubt. Just look at these threads, many of those giving out about the lockdown are the same ones who are against wearing masks, or going on pub crawls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So schools were able to open because there was no wide spread community transmission.
    Level 5 is needed because of widespread community transmission.

I really cannot see how they'll remain open as the critical mass of virus builds.

DOE and Public Health are meeting with unions today I think.

Pretty pertinent question that will need an answer.
    The government now has eight or nine days to convince me and to convince everyone in primary education and special schools that the shambolic approach of public health to the tracking, testing and surveillance of our sector is going to be sorted out before the first Monday in November

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I hope its not true, but are there rumours/confirmations going about of people panic shopping AGAIN?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

circadian wrote: »
    The GAA had the opportunity to get the message across that these types of gatherings would not be tolerated. Potential fines/docked points or whatever for breaches.

But they didn't.

I agree that other sports should be stopped for the foreseeable. LoI has a mixture of professional and semi pro clubs, it's risky although not linked to outbreaks yet. Rugby probably not as risky but I'm not overly familiar with the structure.

Docked points, its a championship. 2nd point, you want the gaa to fine clubs over something that happened outside of the club. They suspended everything after these stories came out, what more do you want them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

That 56 case outbreak from the lad returning from abroad that didn't self isolate highlights the weakness at the borders and the ineffectiveness of the request (which is all it is) for 2 weeks restricted movements.

I'd also be very wary of the timing of Fine Gaels video regarding the measure being confusing given the details of the 56 became available the following morning.

And worst still, looks like nothing will be done about. Eamon Ryan saying he had a phone call with his counterparts in the UK and Germany. I mean this is the man's remit, and now on the 20th of October he is having a phone call with them. No details beyond that. Pathetic

I’d like to see this “man” sounds like another scare tactic similar to the young doctor last week and the house party spreader before that.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its the harshest lockdown in the world right now, what the **** are you on about.

I'd love to see the proof of the harshest lockdown since there's places in Europe that you can't leave the house unless it's to go to the shop. There's curfews all sorts of much more draconian measures elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mohawk wrote: »
    That only works for businesses in cities and large towns. Smaller towns where most of your customers live outside the 5km zone it’s tough for them to survive. Same for coffee shops. You might be able to keep going in Dublin but a village... not a chance your customers live too far away.
    The 5km rule is very different in rural Ireland versus urban places.
    You can travel more than 5km to go shopping.
    I'd love to see the proof of the harshest lockdown since there's places in Europe that you can't leave the house unless it's to go to the shop. There's curfews all sorts of much more draconian measures elsewhere.
    Maybe at very regional levels, but we're the first country to return to a "stay at home, no visitors, 5km limit" regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭political analyst

Schools were able to remain open because the Government said they were going to keep them open.

There's no point trying to apply logic to it.

'MelbourneMan' explained it yesterday in the last thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114988730
    The GAA is not being 'allowed to continue', as you put it. Top level intercounty conpetition will continue. This excludes the other 99.7% of GAA membership. i.e. the GAA is being 99.7% closed.
    The closure of elements of society and the economy is predominantly determined by the cost of that closure, and not its contribution to virus transmission. The benefits of schools remaining open are deemed to greatly outweigh the benefits to virus suppression of closing them.
    SME are not being forced to close. gov.ie has the exhaustive list of services and retail that will remain open. This includes a very high number of SMEs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

gmisk wrote: »
    Huh?! Why would the day end at 23.29?

Because I have fat fingers that hit a 2 instead of a 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Everybody's head is wrecked with the new restrictions and contradictions arising. Why not just close the country down for the next 2 weeks starting next Monday? Short, hard lockdown. . The schools would only be closed for one extra week because of midterm. Non essentials would be closed for 2 weeks but only 2 weeks and not 6. People much more likely to follow a 2 week restriction than 6.

This bull**** of close a lot but not all. Mental health is important so let certain G.A.A. games take place but no gym classes. Exercise is more important for mental health than looking at a game. Schools can open with 30 people plus per room but hairdressers can't open with 4. Weddings 25 and you can have your big party at any time later but funeral only 10 for the last goodbye for a person on this earth (not going to do a party 6 months later) Only 5k for exercise but no ban on flights or ferries or stopping traffic from the north.

Some places spent a lot of money to comply with restrictions after last lockdown and it's like a kick in the face to them to close them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Its the harshest lockdown in the world right now, what the **** are you on about.

I've noticed you curse a fair bit. Why so angry pal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭prunudo

Varadkar and Martin couldn’t even get the fcukin basics of the lockdown right then,like what day does it start.
    Looking over at each other then the 2 gombeens.
    A fcukin jokeshop of a setup

The cynic in my thinks Varadkar knows exactly what he's doing, just wants to distance himself from the FF plan and play the man of the people with the growing numbers who will be annoyed be what has been announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You can travel more than 5km to go shopping.

Maybe at very regional levels, but we're the first country to return to a "stay at home, no visitors, 5km limit" regime.

Or for any legitimate purpose within your county AFAIK. The 5K thing only applies to exercise no?

To what purpose?? Why not follow example of Countries that were able to test, trace and isolate. Get to the cases fast to disrupt the spread. You do it right and you don’t have to shut down the entire country every few weeks. If they can introduce fines for people going over 5km then they can introduce them to force people to isolate.

Docked points, its a championship. 2nd point, you want the gaa to fine clubs over something that happened outside of the club. They suspended everything after these stories came out, what more do you want them to do.

The clubs also play in leagues, no? It was pretty obvious this was going to happen. It would be well within the remit of the GAA to enforce something like that. After all the organisation is always trying to present itself as part of the community, a grassroots organisation. Maybe help guide the community instead of turning a blind eye.

What country has a harsher lockdown, what country closed all retail.

What country has a harsher lockdown, what country closed all retail.

We haven't closed all retail. In fact, the first lockdown we had was much harsher. We've closed non essential retail. Pharmacies, supermarkets, corner shops, DIY shops amongst others are still operating.

I've noticed you curse a fair bit. Why so angry pal?

Because the whole country is in lockdown and its depressing as **** with huge ramifications for my family. Its easy smile away when this has no affect on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

mollser wrote: »
    GAA celebrations seem to be the main driver of this nationwide

A tad hyperbolic perhaps?

Or for any legitimate purpose within your county AFAIK. The 5K thing only applies to exercise no?

Shopping isn’t on the list of things you can go beyond the 5km for. Now obviously grocery shopping should be grand but driving to your local town for click and collect of something non-essential your definitely in a grey area until they clarify it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

mohawk wrote: »
    Shopping isn’t on the list of things you can go beyond the 5km for. Now obviously grocery shopping should be grand but driving to your local town for click and collect of something non-essential your definitely in a grey area until they clarify it further.
    Needs clarification? Non-essential, don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

RTE Radio 1 were just playing interviews with queues outside Penny's in Dublin City Centre - people there since 4am to get in and stock up on PJ's and Dressing gowns for christmas...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement