Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Not sure what the point of that is.

If a bank is robbed by a group of well armed and well organsied criminals, it is common to use the phrase 'professional' to describe it.
    The BA were not saying they approved of the murders, they are describing the operation itself.

I guess this too was a 'professional' killing.

https://twitter.com/OnThisDayPIRA/status/1367376609137860608

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

There's no political capital to be gleaned from it so FF/FG/Greens don't care. Maybe if it was an election time and some shinner had passed a remark or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Another Social Democrats Twitter dump.

It's self explanatory and came from a TD in the Dail yesterday. Any comment on the content?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's self explanatory and came from a TD in the Dail yesterday. Any comment on the content?

Maybe you should comment yourself as I've deleted your link dump

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1367802815020740609?s=19

At least reasonable targets and not the usual we will def have 100,000 done a week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beasty wrote: »
    Maybe you should comment yourself as I've deleted your link dump

No problem. I share the opinion of Cian O'Callghan TD that the Sisters of Charity should have absolutely no hand, act or part in the new National Maternity Hospital. Especially given the revelations around illegal adoptions on Wednesday as part of the RTE Investigates program.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Donnelly's latest arrogant fumble yesterday

I mean, seriously, how much longer will Martin let this farcical man continue

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1367501581055311883

Video here

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/lxo078/catherine_connolly_calls_stephen_donnelly/

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Donnelly's latest arrogant fumble yesterday

I mean, seriously, how much longer will Martin let this farcical man continue

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1367501581055311883

Video here

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/lxo078/catherine_connolly_calls_stephen_donnelly/

He was quick to learn that kind of tactic from FG.

https://twitter.com/ImJustLookingTa/status/1367968484177686531?s=19

Example of not having a clue and saying but SF

Laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

More Twitter dumps......this place is getting more like Twitter than Twitter.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

It's not called twit er for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's not called twit er for nothing.

Ya the government TD's really need to lay off social media and do their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

More Twitter dumps......this place is getting more like Twitter than Twitter.?

Is it a twitter "dump" if it's accompanied with an opinion/comments of their own regarding the context of the tweet?

Look at you now Brenner, a proud FG man reduced to having to defend the brainfarts of a lowly FF councillor.

Because he said something about Sinn Fein lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Floppybits

He was quick to learn that kind of tactic from FG.

Making sure he is ready for when he leaves FF and joins FG.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Is it a twitter "dump" if it's accompanied with an opinion/comments of their own regarding the context of the tweet?

Look at you now Brenner, a proud FG man reduced to having to defend the brainfarts of a lowly FF councillor.

Because he said something about Sinn Fein lol :)

I would comment on ‘tweets’ on Twitter, Randle.

But that’s just me, flooding message boards with ‘tweets’ from questionable sources,with one or two word endorsements seems to me to be the lazy persons m.o.

But ,hey! What can one expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

But that’s just me, flooding message boards with ‘tweets’ from questionable sources,with one or two word endorsements seems to me to be the lazy persons m.o.

You're right leo is a questionable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Questionable source being a FF councillor?

Prob best taking it to feedback bren, I don't think you'll change accepted policy by complaining about it on thread.

However, keep in mind that the Brexit/Covid threads would be heavily made up with twitter content people discussing the contents of same.

A rather salient point was made earlier, if politicians could keep from tweeting brainfarts or posting bollocks on social media, there'd be less brainfarts and bolloxology on social media by politicians to discuss.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Questionable source being a FF councillor?

Prob best taking it to feedback bren, I don't think you'll change accepted policy by complaining about it on thread.

However, keep in mind that the Brexit/Covid threads would be heavily made up with twitter content people discussing the contents of same.

A rather salient point was made earlier, if politicians could keep from tweeting brainfarts or posting bollocks on social media, there'd be less brainfarts and bolloxology on social media by politicians to discuss.

Yes , you have a few points there Randle, even Stanno was nipped by it, and as you know more light comes out of a black hole in deep space than that party.

And I wasn’t actually “complaining” about the Twitter dumps, just commenting, I know better than taking stuff to Feedback, R.

I trust the Mods here to not allow their threads to turn into ‘Twitter Light’.

It would be a pity if it did.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Making sure he is ready for when he leaves FF and joins FG.

How would he know? The logo I suppose.

• Advertisement

We had record breaking crises pre covid. We have a major amount of things to do after covid.
    But the greasy till of FF/FG comes first. The world cup will be held where ever slips the most money. Transport and other logistics won't come into it. And of course they'll make a complete balls of it anyway. Tickets for pals and the like.

We had record breaking crises pre covid. We have a major amount of things to do after covid.
    But the greasy till of FF/FG comes first. The world cup will be held where ever slips the most money. Transport and other logistics won't come into it. And of course they'll make a complete balls of it anyway. Tickets for pals and the like.

If at a very small chance the bid wins, anyone who knows football knows its a non runner the only stadium that will have games is the Aviva. Games won't even be played up North unless they double the size of Windsor Park

These rural TDs talking about stadiums beside Galway Airport should be laughed at

Yes, we have issues, but I think it’s a bit early to start slinging the mud.

After all the event isn’t until 2030 and the planning lead in isn’t for several years.

Plenty of ‘commemorations’ for ‘volunteers’ to practice on before then.

Won’t be a white shirt available in Penneys for Gods sake.

#thepartyofnegativity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Going forward from covid it looks like potential govts will have to rein in on big spending splurges for a while.
    Will it stop them promising them??? Probably not.
    But we need to take in our financial position here before we consider how to move forward after this.
    Basically lads, we are in trouble, I can't see borrowing being on the cheap forever with these figures over our heads.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-to-have-highest-debt-per-head-in-europe-this-year-1.4503652?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Going forward from covid it looks like potential govts will have to rein in on big spending splurges for a while.
    But we need to take in our financial position here before we consider how to move forward after this.
    Basically lads, we are in trouble, I can't see borrowing being on the cheap forever with these figures over our heads.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-to-have-highest-debt-per-head-in-europe-this-year-1.4503652?mode=amp

The false "fake news" narrative of record-breaking crises needs to be addressed in this context.

January 2021 sees homelessness numbers down 19% on January 2020. Progress has been great in this regard.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-sdg1/irelandsunsdgs2019-reportonindicatorsforgoal1nopoverty/poverty/#:~:text=The%20consistent%20poverty%20rate%20in,rate%20of%205.1%25%20in%202018.

The poverty rate fell dramatically during the FG/Ind government, down from 9% in 2013 to 5.6% in 2018. Covid will have caused an increase in these numbers, but it will be key for the economic recovery that any decrease is quickly reversed and the numbers in poverty rapidly decrease.

The two areas where Ireland does set record-breaking numbers is in the amount of debt per household and in the percentage of households where nobody works - the inter-generational social welfare dependency problem. Addressing this latter issue through reform of the social welfare system and benefits as well as increasing the incentive to work is key to addressing the former issue as social welfare costs will come down and income tax go up meaning the debt question can be better addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

blanch152 wrote: »
    The false "fake news" narrative of record-breaking crises needs to be addressed in this context.

January 2021 sees homelessness numbers down 19% on January 2020. Progress has been great in this regard.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-sdg1/irelandsunsdgs2019-reportonindicatorsforgoal1nopoverty/poverty/#:~:text=The%20consistent%20poverty%20rate%20in,rate%20of%205.1%25%20in%202018.

The poverty rate fell dramatically during the FG/Ind government, down from 9% in 2013 to 5.6% in 2018. Covid will have caused an increase in these numbers, but it will be key for the economic recovery that any decrease is quickly reversed and the numbers in poverty rapidly increase.

The two areas where Ireland does set record-breaking numbers is in the amount of debt per household and in the percentage of households where nobody works - the inter-generational social welfare dependency problem. Addressing this latter issue through reform of the social welfare system and benefits as well as increasing the incentive to work is key to addressing the former issue as social welfare costs will come down and income tax go up meaning the debt question can be better addressed.

Might want to reread that Blanch

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Might want to reread that Blanch

There is a fake narrative that pre-Covid, Ireland was setting record-breaking crises across a huge range of areas. It simply wasn't true.

I have listed two areas where we are record-setting, one of them is because of Covid, and the other is the ignored elephant in the room - the inter-generational dependency on high rates of social welfare, a phenomenon nearly unique in Europe.

So I stand over my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

There is a fake narrative that pre-Covid, Ireland was setting record-breaking crises across a huge range of areas. It simply wasn't true.

I have listed two areas where we are record-setting, one of them is because of Covid, and the other is the ignored elephant in the room - the inter-generational dependency on high rates of social welfare, a phenomenon nearly unique in Europe.

So I stand over my post.

"And the numbers in poverty rapidly increase"

So I stand over my post.

And you are quite right...... no question about that.

• Advertisement

You're correct of course but if 2011, (the Haughey era also) and onwards thought us anything it's that these 'roll up our sleeves' type warnings of austerity to come only ever relate to the working tax payer.
    We will get the 'we're all in this together' line where ministers hire special advisers, social media gurus and likely a quango is put together all the while the public suffer austerity and are told times are tough, Covid..Brexit...no magic money tree...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement