Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

They are students, not nurses.

Who are working.

We already lose alot of these nurses who emigrate for better pay. Any student nurse who has worked during the pandemic will not want to work for the hse

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Student guards get paid €184 a week with free food and accommodation.

Quibble about difference between 'student' and 'trainee' in 3...2....

• Registered Users Posts: 67,244 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    I agree that the traffic volumes crossing the border remain too high, but it is not a Belfast/Galway phenonemon, it relates to the locals in the area ignoring the rules.

You will recall that I have several times over the last year pointed to the high number of cases in the border counties being caused by an overspill from the poor Covid-19 policies of the Stormont government. This only increases the evidence for that.

It relates to NON enforcement of the rules blanch. Here in this jurisdiction.

That there is no enforcement north of the border points the same finger at the northern authorities too. It doesn't EXCUSE here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Students of what? Have you never heard the term student nurse?
    You can call them Fraggles if you like, they still worked on the covid front line for buttons. And that was okay. Suddenly it's what about the poor hotel workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,279 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Who are working.

We already lose alot of these nurses who emigrate for better pay. Any student nurse who has worked during the pandemic will not want to work for the hse

You really don't understand the situation, do you?

https://usi.ie/campaigns/urgent-clarity-needed-on-student-nursing-and-midwifery-placements/

Student placements have been suspended because hospitals couldn't spare the staff to mind the students. They weren't working, they were learning.

• Advertisement

You really don't understand the situation, do you?

https://usi.ie/campaigns/urgent-clarity-needed-on-student-nursing-and-midwifery-placements/

Student placements have been suspended because hospitals couldn't spare the staff to mind the students. They weren't working, they were learning.

Yeh, learning how to cope with a pandemic on the frontline.

Similar tactic here to the one used to repudiate the 'main road' point. Lets concentrate on one word, rubbish that, then dismiss the whole point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Similar tactic here to the one used to repudiate the 'main road' point. Lets concentrate on one word, rubbish that, then dismiss the whole point. :)

Standard procedure we had it here last week after the Taoiseach decided to announce the extension of the lock down for a further 9 weeks in an interview with the daily mirror, posters disputing what severe vs significant, same as compulsory vs mandatory. Seems to be the way focus on a word or phrase and then head down the rabbit hole rather than being able to defend the action.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Standard procedure we had it here last week after the Taoiseach decided to announce the extension of the lock down for a further 9 weeks in an interview with the daily mirror, posters disputing what severe vs significant, same as compulsory vs mandatory. Seems to be the way focus on a word or phrase and then head down the rabbit hole rather than being able to defend the action.

As transparent as it is boring and predictable at this stage.

As transparent as it is boring and predictable at this stage.

It is what happens when you have to defend the indefensible. I notice no comment on the governments deeply cynical move on supporting the Soc Dems motion to extend the mother and baby home commission and then saying they will do nothing about it, all so that their TD's don't have to vote it down and be shown up for what they really are.

Then you will have their supporters come on here and say you are playing politics. Well I guess with this deeply cynical move that excuse is now gone.

Some should look at this:
    Student nurses: ‘I will never be able to explain the feeling of having to leave a dying man alone’
    I’m a first-year nurse and am just finishing my first placement. I have really enjoyed my experience so far but it has been really tough. So far I have washed and fed patients, emotionally supported them and have been on the ward as two patients have died. I’ve received sexist and hurtful abuse from patients. I’ve worked 12-hour shifts back to back and been so tired I’ve been physically sick. Every time I enter a room I have to wear full PPE and if I come out of that room even for a minute I have to take that PPE off and put on new ones. I am putting my life at risk to care for patients. I am being exposed to patients who likely have Covid-19. I have taken out cannulas and catheters, changed bandages and often at times done the work of a healthcare assistant. I have had so much support from staff nurses and do not condemn them at all. Leo Varadkar’s comments about student nurses just being “another body” on the wards was really hurtful. I’ve done so much already and I’m only a first year. If the Government can get hefty pay rises on top of their already decent wages, why is it so ridiculous for student nurses to ask for the bare minimum?

It's pretty vile to have little to no regard for the work these people do on the one hand and then cite hotel workers putting their lives on the line on the other because it suits you argument, (defense of government) at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Student guards get paid €184 a week with free food and accommodation.

Quibble about difference between 'student' and 'trainee' in 3...2....

Student doctors don't get anything either.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1364974474974662660?s=19

There are no international flights to Belfast in over a week

Desperate diversion from a proven gombeen.

Desperate diversion from a proven gombeen.

Standard Govt under pressure, but Sinn Fein

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

In over a week, ok I'll take your word for that.
    Direct flights from outside mightnt be happening, but what about connectors, a lot of Belfast flights are connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Is it true that there is no hotel quarantine in NI?

Is it true that there is no hotel quarantine in NI?

Yeh why would they have it? Theres no international flights to belfast currently

• Registered Users Posts: 27,279 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There are no student nurses on placement!!!!! Placements have been suspended!!!!!!

That is what I am saying.

If they were able to work, the HSE would want them. They don't want them because they aren't adding anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

In over a week, ok I'll take your word for that.
    Direct flights from outside mightnt be happening, but what about connectors, a lot of Belfast flights are connectors.

A connecting flight to me would mean you're not leaving the airport, and in my experience, if you are leaving the airport, you're doing so without your main luggage, which you won't be reacquainted with until you get to your final destination.

Kinda irrelevant so, yeah?

McMurphy wrote: »
    A connecting flight to me would mean you're not leaving the airport, and in my experience, if you are leaving the airport, you're doing so without your main luggage, which you won't be reacquainted with until you get to your final destination.

Kinda irrelevant so, yeah?

Presume he meant a connecting flight into Belfast.

• Advertisement

Yeh why would they have it? Theres no international flights to belfast currently

Are the imposing checks on flights from Manchester and Birmingham?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Yes indeed, a, bit disengenuos to suggest that international travellers can't get to Belfast.

There are no student nurses on placement!!!!! Placements have been suspended!!!!!!

That is what I am saying.

If they were able to work, the HSE would want them. They don't want them because they aren't adding anything.

A bad for the bashers
    Blaming Brazilian people for Covid in Monaghan
    Also claiming Monaghan is a tourist haven
    Lost on the Galway Belfast Road
    Lost on the students
    Simultaneously arguing that the restrictions are too harsh and too lenient
    Calling for the army to be deployed to keep day trippers out of Carlingford
    Having to acknowledge that Ireland's vaccine is Top 3 in EU
    Having to acknowledge that the opposition called for relaxations at Christmas and then tried to dupe the public into forgetting
    Gaining no traction with false tears on M+B
    And most importantly, case numbers starting to fall

Enjoy your tea everyone

A bad for the bashers
    Lost on the students
    Having to acknowledge that the opposition called for relaxations at Christmas and then tried to dupe the public into forgetting

Enjoy your tea everyone

And back to name calling.

A bad for the bashers
    Lost on the students

Enjoy your tea everyone

Eh the majority of the nation dont think the Govt are doing a good.

Over 90% on Claire Byrne poll said they wanted hotel quarantine for all

The public are disgusted about the mother and baby homes

We have been in lockdown since xmas, of course the cases are going down (they are up on yesterdays numbers)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Yes indeed, a, bit disengenuos to suggest that international travellers can't get to Belfast.

Think there's a few party's in the north were calling for non essential flights Britain - The North.

I don't get either of your point, poster said no international flights into the north in the last week.

Looks like they were correct.

Think there's a few party's in the north were calling for non essential flights Britain - The North.

I don't get either of your point, poster said no international flights into the north in the last week.

You don't get my post? My post simply said that I presume the other poster meant connecting flights to Belfast, not via Belfast, as you had picked him up as. If you need any further clarity as what I meant by my one liner then let me know.

A bad for the bashers
    I didn't do that. Read slowly: I said that part of the reason why Monaghan may be so high is the amoutn of Brazilian workers living here. A simple point sensationally reacted to to deflect from it.
    More sensationalism in answer to a reasonable point from someone other than me.
    Woo hoo the lads got a win, I used the word 'MAIN' not realising it may have lost that title. Point otherwise was perfectly valid.

Not a great day for who again?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Eh the majority of the nation dont think the Govt are doing a good.

Over 90% on Claire Byrne poll said they wanted hotel quarantine for all

The public are disgusted about the mother and baby homes

We have been in lockdown since xmas, of course the cases are going down (they are up on yesterdays numbers)

Have you ever answered poll questions - they are usually framed in a way that suits those asking the question. For instance you say that 90% on Claire Byrne want hotel quarantine for all - does this include pilots and lorry drivers coming into the country on a daily basis to deliver essential items? What about those going abroad medical reasons, or those wanting to come home for a dying loved one or the tens of other reasons why things happen. It's easy to say everyone should be quarantined when your asked a question that has yes/no type answer.

You say that majority of the nation don't think they are doing a good job - did you just pull this out of thin air? or how do you know what the majority think?

Finally where is labour's our SF alternative living with Covid policy?? Oh wait that's right they don't have one - wonder why that is? SF have no problem producing alternative budgets on budget day. Is it maybe because they support the majority of the policies that have been implemented, but don't want their supporters knowing this, and in turn will let FF/FG/Greens take the heat?

If there was an election in the morning, i feel that SF would make sure to position their candidates in such a way that they wouldn't win enough to go into sole power, and hence we would be left in the current situation.

It's very easy to blame those in power, but when there is no viable alternative option - what do you do?

• Advertisement

And I took his word for it, I just pointed out that didn't mean there were no international travellers allowed or let in in that time.
    I pointed to the fact that a lot of flights into the North are from the UK and a lot are used as connectors for international travel.
    It's the same here BTW.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement