Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

SF ramped up the pressure calling for relaxation of restrictions at Christmas, then promptly jumped on the bandwagon running in the opposite direction when cases began to increase. Maybe the electorate is factoring that in?

Yesterday's poll showed 30% of SF voters think the government is doing a good job with the pandemic. Which I found interestingly high given the point scoring that has been going on in relation to it.

I don't think we have seen any SF leaning posters on boards saying that the government is doing a good job with the pandemic, when you would expect 3/10 to have that opinion (if you were to argue that boards is representative of the general population, which it clearly isn't)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

And how is that 'anti-immigrant'? The workforce in Goodman's specific factory here in a specific place is almost exclusively Brazilian.

Deal with the point and quit the dog whistling. Ridiculous diversionary tactics.

Gort has the highest Brazilian population in the country, no major spike in Covid. Midleton similar. Perhaps there are other factors to consider other than this.
    Why, for example, did Dundalk South and Stranorlar areas have very high levels?
    Ballyjamesduff LED had a massive jump in the Autumn. It had been low all summer despite the presence of a large meat factory. Then Crosserlough won the championship. Did the Brazilian population go mad on the drink celebrating that?
    Achill also? The reasons will vary from place to place.

Wrong thread. This is a FF/FG/Greens thread. Theres plenty of SF threads

Eamonn all over the shop on leaders questions

FB brought it up. The point stands though.
    An inconvenient truth.

I thought we had checkpoints to stop that?

We do but not enough.
    Would you also support more checkpoints? Involve the army maybe?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Tourists the primary issue?? I didn't realise Monaghan, the highest rate county for months now, was such a mecca for overseas visitors. More to do with Aughnacloy than the Airport I'm afraid.
    Loads of tourists in Monaghan alright. Blanchardstown and Louth and Offaly too. Yeah, that explains the whole thing.

Haven't been paying attention to this thread lately - is it that the evidence shows there is only one source of infection?
    An either "meat plants" or "tourists" situation?

Here was me thinking the virus arrived in the country via people coming in (not necessarily visiting tourists, there was also returning tourists, plus the myriad of other reasons people may want to enter the country) and then spread from those people to other people where the opportunity presented itself.
    Ditto with the British variant - it arrived in the body of someone who entered the country fro outside... and the Brazilian and the South African etc etc .

Was I incorrect?

Is the method of arrival into the country not via infected people coming in who then go on to infect others in various settings/locations?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

We do but not enough.
    Would you also support more checkpoints? Involve the army maybe?

Yes if its helping stop the spread. The army should have being doing this from the start. The Gardai would then be free to start going around handing out fines to all these teenagers out in groups

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Yes if its helping stop the spread. The army should have being doing this from the start. The Gardai would then be free to start going around handing out fines to all these teenagers out in groups

On my way back there from my 30km cycle I seen a group of 20 teenagers down the local football pitch all training together. It brought a smile to my face that maybe things are going to get back to normal whether the government want it to or not, I also thought someone else will see them and report them to the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think you will see major noncompliance with restrictions this weekend, especially the 5km limit. The public have completely lost faith with FFG after another week of clowning around. Even the AGSI were annoyed with the govt on Drivetime yesterday.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I think you will see major noncompliance with restrictions this weekend, especially the 5km limit. The public have completely lost faith with FFG after another week of clowning around. Even the AGSI were annoyed with the govt on Drivetime yesterday.

Absolutely if they got the Hotel Quarantine set up like the vast majority want, they would get some support back.
    The cars out on the road in serious numbers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Absolutely if they got the Hotel Quarantine set up like the vast majority want, they would get some support back.

OH works in a Builder's Providers, she only does bathroom stuff. She did over €12k in sales yesterday. This was people coming into the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

More vaccine fcuk ups today according to da lavelahn. The lads canoeing up the Amazon will have the jabs before us the way things are going here.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,245 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    OH works in a Builder's Providers, she only does bathroom stuff. She did over €12k in sales yesterday. This was people coming into the shop.

Traffic volumes are normal on the road I live beside, the main Belfast - Galway road.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,281 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Do they all have to stay in Dublin hotels. They can be bused to most parts of the country in a couple of hours

Why should i risk my life going to tesco when i could bump into one of these tourists. You will find the majority of hotel workers would be delighted to be back working

Yes, you don't want to risk your life, but you are happy to have hotel workers and bus drivers risk theirs for you.

Pretty clear on that.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    More vaccine fcuk ups today according to da lavelahn. The lads canoeing up the Amazon will have the jabs before us the way things are going here.

Liveline. The outlet of record.
    Ireland 3rd in EU for compliant vaccine delivery. No matter what the caller from Clontarf says

Traffic volumes are normal on the road I live beside, the main Belfast - Galway road.

Didn't know there was a main Belfast to Galway Road.
    Must be convenient for all the tourists visiting Monaghan hey

The main Belfast-Galway road?

Head down the M1, around the M50 and straight to Galway on the M4/M6. By far the quickest way.

Alternative, about 10-15 minutes longer is through Cavan, not Monaghan.

The N52 off the M1 through Meath/Westmeath is the quickest alternative to avoiding Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

blanch152 wrote: »

Head down the M1, around the M50 and straight to Galway on the M4/M6. By far the quickest way.

The N52 off the M1 through Meath/Westmeath is the quickest alternative to avoiding Dublin.

Belfast, Portadown, Armagh, Monaghan, Cavan, Edgeworthstown, Athlone, Galway - did it a few times pre motorways.

Virus is in the community.
    Increased domestic travel will spread it

People say they want this thing to end
    Ending it means suppressing rates as much as possible while the vaccine programme rolls out

Peoples response to perception of government is to increase activity?
    Increasing activity then spreads the virus

People complain about the government
    Now I see how it makes sense...

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Belfast, Portadown, Armagh, Monaghan, Cavan, Edgeworthstown, Athlone, Galway - did it a few times pre motorways.

So by yesterday it can't be considered the main Belfast-Galway road as the poster claimed?

By the way, even then, you would be quicker avoiding Monaghan and staying in the North before turning south to Cavan.

The Terroir Tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

So by yesterday it can't be considered the main Belfast-Galway road as the poster claimed?

By the way, even then, you would be quicker avoiding Monaghan and staying in the North before turning south to Cavan.

Didn't say it was any of the above but I have travelled from Belfast to Galway via Monaghan - only bit of motorway was M1 Belfast to Portadown.

Didn't say it was any of the above but I have travelled from Belfast to Galway via Monaghan - only bit of motorway was M1 Belfast to Portadown.

It isn't the main Belfast-Galway road by any stretch of the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So it is not the Brazilians working in the meat factories causing Covid?

You claimed it was, own the remark. You could have said people working in the meat factories, or that it was the conditions in the meat factories that favour the spread of the virus, but you didn't, you blamed the Brazilians.

Typical low bar. Do you not feel even a little bad using minorities in such a manner?

These would be the type of people you'd no issue getting shipped in to work for buttons in a covid cluster meat factory when it suited.

SF ramped up the pressure calling for relaxation of restrictions at Christmas, then promptly jumped on the bandwagon running in the opposite direction when cases began to increase. Maybe the electorate is factoring that in?

Nonsense.
    NPHET advised meeting family or dining out etc. the government allowed both. That's why we lost control. That's why lockdown is like a yoyo.
    What SF or anybody else said won't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,245 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fair enough, may not be the 'main' route but still a very busy one.

https://routeplanner.app/belfast/galway

The point is the traffic volumes on a very busy road that crosses the border are the same as they have always been.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Yesterday's poll showed 30% of SF voters think the government is doing a good job with the pandemic. Which I found interestingly high given the point scoring that has been going on in relation to it.

I don't think we have seen any SF leaning posters on boards saying that the government is doing a good job with the pandemic, when you would expect 3/10 to have that opinion (if you were to argue that boards is representative of the general population, which it clearly isn't)

A very skewed analysis.
    What's a 'SF leaning poster'? Seems to me just another thinly veiled hide behind the shinners tactic. It suggests bias.
    You can track criticism of the governments approach in tandem with the numerous clangers. If you go back to the beginning their was little or no criticism right up until Varadkar start quoting films and we got the figures on the long term care homes etc.
    All you are saying here is, 'well, shinners would say that'.

Yes, you don't want to risk your life, but you are happy to have hotel workers and bus drivers risk theirs for you.

Pretty clear on that.

Happy to pay student nurses buttons for literally dealing with Covid. Give over.

Fair enough, may not be the 'main' route but still a very busy one.

https://routeplanner.app/belfast/galway

The point is the traffic volumes on a very busy road that crosses the border are the same as they have always been.

I agree that the traffic volumes crossing the border remain too high, but it is not a Belfast/Galway phenonemon, it relates to the locals in the area ignoring the rules.

You will recall that I have several times over the last year pointed to the high number of cases in the border counties being caused by an overspill from the poor Covid-19 policies of the Stormont government. This only increases the evidence for that.

Pretty clear on that.

Bus drivers have screens up i.e bus eireann town services, Dublin bus. Even taxis have them up so no driver will be in any contact with people.

Staff at hotel would have no interaction with anyone in their room, but you know this already

• Advertisement

Happy to pay student nurses buttons for literally dealing with Covid. Give over.

They are students, not nurses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement