Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

McMurphy wrote: »
    I can see now how the lads (some from cabinet and an FG EU commissioner, and FG installed supreme judge) thought it was a good idea to head off to the "backwater" of Clifden, ignoring all the newly implemented regulations, the very day after they set them to go out golfing and then on the lash afterwards.

This would be the same mindset on display that thinks covid doesn't spread and multiply at a Garda funeral, but would at a Shinners.

Brilliant. :D

Yea, the backwaters are a menace right enough. Anyway, I'm off to work. A place people go to when they don't have all day to spend getting angry with strangers on the internet.
    Bye now. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

mattser wrote: »
    Yea, the backwaters are a menace right enough. Anyway, I'm off to work. A place people go to when they don't have all day to spend getting angry with strangers on the internet.
    Bye now. :D:D

Good lad mattser, you've a fierce habit of mentioning your "work", (and coincidentally always needing to go there after walking into your own haymakers:D) it's almost like you like to imply none of the rest of us do......

Godspeed young man, godspeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Ah thats grand so, let the tourists come on ahead

Loads of tourists in Monaghan alright. Blanchardstown and Louth and Offaly too. Yeah, that explains the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1364564175687720967?s=19

People not allowed travel outside 5k, Everything cloaed bar essential services but still 500 odd cases a day and nothing stopping tourists coming here and going about as they please

Finland to begin three-week lockdown on 8 March
    Updated / Thursday, 25 Feb 2021 10:22
    The area around the Finnish capital Helsinki is worst hit by the epidemic
    The area around the Finnish capital Helsinki is worst hit by the epidemic
    Finland will go into a three-week lockdown starting on 8 March and is prepared to declare a state of emergency, Prime Minister Sanna Marin has said, as the country faces a rising number of coronavirus cases.

The lockdown will not include a curfew but will involve the closure of restaurants and ordering school students that are 13 or older to move to remote learning, the government said.

Ms Marin said she is ready to declare a state of emergency next week, having discussed this with the president.

Among other things, such a move would require health care workers to work longer hours and cancel their holidays.

Ms Marin said she thought a state of emergency was needed to stop new coronavirus variants from spreading.

"If we wait for the situation to get worse, it will be more difficult to stop it," she said.

However, Justice Minister Anna-Maja Henriksson, a member of a smaller party in the ruling coalition, said she thought that using the full force of the emergency powers act was not necessary, and that limiting the restaurant business would suffice.

While Finland currently has the third lowest infection rate in Europe, after Iceland and Norway, the nation of 5.5 million people has seen a rapid rise in new daily cases, which reached 590 yesterday.

During the past two weeks, the epidemic has worsened in many areas of the country, with the metropolitan area around the capital Helsinki hit the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,298 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Loads of tourists in Monaghan alright. Blanchardstown and Louth and Offaly too. Yeah, that explains the whole thing.

I'm from Monaghan Finty...the high rate here in my town may very well have more to do with the high number of Brazilians working in Larry Goodman's meat factory. Not 'tourists' as such, but people entering the country.

• Advertisement

Sweden’s prime minister, Stefan Lofven, said there’s now a “high risk” of a new spike in coronavirus infections, potentially warranting the country’s first lockdown since the pandemic started almost a year ago.

“We are seeing an increase in cases again, we need to take new measures,” Lofven said at a press briefing in Stockholm on Wednesday. “If the situation gets worse, the government is prepared to enforce a possible lockdown in parts of Sweden. Hopefully that will not be needed.”

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

Plenty of tourists in Caringford, which is in Co Louth.

No restrictions on tourists so and I cant go 5.2km for a walk

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/number-travel-related-covid-cases-23520850.amp

"There was a total of 68 travel-related cases Covid-19 in the last two weeks, figures from the HSE show"

Let them in

I'm from Monaghan Finty...the high rate here in my town may very well have more to do with the high number of Brazilians working in Larry Goodman's meat factory. Not 'tourists' as such, but people entering the country.

Good man Francie. If that were the only reason, Gort, Midleton, Camolin and Roscrea should be the Covid Capitals of Ireland. Cahir had a factory related outbreak in the summer but to be fair that was controlled very quickly. I have a good idea of the lie of the land up your way and it is not meat factories that are the main issue. Nor is it the famed Monaghan tourist scene!

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/number-travel-related-covid-cases-23520850.amp

"There was a total of 68 travel-related cases Covid-19 in the last two weeks, figures from the HSE show"

Let them in

UK daytrippers are the main tourist demographic in Carlingford. I would agree, shutting that down would be the priority for Carlingford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Let them in

Where are they from?
    Where are they staying?
    Are you sure they're not just horse dealers from monaghan?

• Advertisement

Good man Francie. If that were the only reason, Gort, Midleton, Camolin and Roscrea should be the Covid Capitals of Ireland. Cahir had a factory related outbreak in the summer but to be fair that was controlled very quickly. I have a good idea of the lie of the land up your way and it is not meat factories that are the main issue. Nor is it the famed Monaghan tourist scene!

Everywhere is different and I don't know the situations in those other places, the Brazilian workforce in the main inhabit the centre of the town here. I never said it was the 'only' reason BTW.

You don't seem to have a very open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Everywhere is different and I don't know the situations in those other places, the Brazilian workforce in the main inhabit the centre of the town here. I never said it was the 'only' reason BTW.

You said it may well have, got in Larrry Goodman well too, but as, you're reversing from that position, that's good.
    Hate to see race brought into this.

You said it may well have, got in Larrry Goodman well too, but as, you're reversing from that position, that's good.
    Hate to see race brought into this.

Jesus Bish...you try too hard. :rolleyes:

I am somewhat familiar with the other situations, having an open mind on them. It seems that when lockdown ends, leaving Monaghan may help to broaden yours. Even if it is only for a spin to Carlingford.

I am somewhat familiar with the other situations, having an open mind on them. It seems that when lockdown ends, leaving Monaghan may help to broaden yours. Even if it is only for a spin to Carlingford.

Other than a snide remark there...not sure what you are saying.

How can you discount the spread when this is happening wholesale and unchecked is bewildering tbh. I consider it highly dangerous too.

UK daytrippers are the main tourist demographic in Carlingford. I would agree, shutting that down would be the priority for Carlingford

I thought we had checkpoints to stop that?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They weren't behind with IPOS/Mori polling.

Let me spell it out, it's not that difficult.

FG are on 30% down 5 from the last poll, which put them on 35%

SF are on 28% down one from the last poll which had them on 29%

As 35% is higher than 29%, FG were ahead.
    The gap has closed to 2% from 6%

That's with the IPOS/Mori company.

Unbelieveable that Sinn Fein are losing votes when we are being told hourly on this thread how bad the government are!!

Clearly, there is a sizeable part of the electorate when unhappy with the Government, still refuse to even consider Sinn Fein.

The hotspots in Ireland have nothing to do with tourism, they have to do with people ignoring the restrictions. We had stories of people in Monaghan going to pubs for Christmas parties with the pubs letting some people sit up at the bar. Any wonder that there is a problem.

Blame it on the immigrants, what a tired old trope.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Unbelieveable that Sinn Fein are losing votes when we are being told hourly on this thread how bad the government are!!

Clearly, there is a sizeable part of the electorate when unhappy with the Government, still refuse to even consider Sinn Fein.

Not really unbelievable in a time of general discontent with politics, I think SF would be happy to be closing the gap on FG though.

Sizeable parts of the electorate are unhappy to vote for all parties from what I can see. Unbelievable that you can't see that first and foremost.

The hotspots in Ireland have nothing to do with tourism, they have to do with people ignoring the restrictions. We had stories of people in Monaghan going to pubs for Christmas parties with the pubs letting some people sit up at the bar. Any wonder that there is a problem.

The problem here may well be the authorities 'ignoring restrictions' blanch by allowing travel into and out of the country. I.E. Unrestricted travel.

And please...stop trying to take this down an anti-immigrant line...nonsense of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭CarProblem

Utterly pathetic, as usual I may add

The problem here may well be the authorities 'ignoring restrictions' blanch by allowing travel into and out of the country. I.E. Unrestricted travel.

And please...stop trying to take this down an anti-immigrant line...nonsense of the highest order.

So it is not the Brazilians working in the meat factories causing Covid?

You claimed it was, own the remark. You could have said people working in the meat factories, or that it was the conditions in the meat factories that favour the spread of the virus, but you didn't, you blamed the Brazilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Says the poster who tried to blame people from the north for the spread of the UK variants here rather than the daily UK - Irish flights.

So it is not the Brazilians working in the meat factories causing Covid?

You claimed it was, own the remark. You could have said people working in the meat factories, or that it was the conditions in the meat factories that favour the spread of the virus, but you didn't, you blamed the Brazilians.

And how is that 'anti-immigrant'? The workforce in Goodman's specific factory here in a specific place is almost exclusively Brazilian.

Deal with the point and quit the dog whistling. Ridiculous diversionary tactics.

And how is that 'anti-immigrant'? The workforce in Goodman's specific factory here in a specific place is almost exclusively Brazilian.

Deal with the point and quit the dog whistling. Ridiculous diversionary tactics.

There you go again. You are blind to the obvious racism in your post.

There you go again. You are blind to the obvious racism in your post.

What is racist about stating the majority of the staff are Brazil?

SF ramped up the pressure calling for relaxation of restrictions at Christmas, then promptly jumped on the bandwagon running in the opposite direction when cases began to increase. Maybe the electorate is factoring that in?

Other than a snide remark there...not sure what you are saying.

How can you discount the spread when this is happening wholesale and unchecked is bewildering tbh. I consider it highly dangerous too.

Snide remark simply a response to the original snide remark about keeping an open mind. Let's call it a draw.

SF ramped up the pressure calling for relaxation of restrictions at Christmas, then promptly jumped on the bandwagon running in the opposite direction when cases began to increase. Maybe the electorate is factoring that in?

Wrong thread. This is a FF/FG/Greens thread. Theres plenty of SF threads

Eamonn all over the shop on leaders questions

• Advertisement

Snide remark simply a response to the original snide remark about keeping an open mind. Let's call it a draw.

No, it was a genuine criticism of your stance. You are refusing to countenance it as a reason by pointing at other places which may have entirely different circumstances. The virus doesn't recognise set parameters, it is entirely possible that a spike could occur in one area where there is a factory and not in another with a similar factory.

You are intent on sticking to a line here and it is the government one. A government the majority of the population think are performing badly in managing the pandemic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement