Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

meeeeh wrote: »
    Not in Dublin. They stated that reproductive rate in Dublin is 1 and the rest of the country is 1.5. So that argument is disingenuous if it implies measures in Dublin didn't work at all.

As for level 5 lockdown, we might be. However if it happens it will be more strict than in in vast majority of Europe, large parts with much higher numbers than Ireland. Instead on doubling up on masks and stopping congregating, increasing fines there is a group that likes to put in prison whole nation.

Link with that R number info?

This is what I found so far-don't have more time right now to dig:
    Professor Philip Nolan, Chair of the NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group, said today (8th oct): “Case numbers and hospitalisations are growing exponentially. The Reproductive number is now estimated at 1.2. If we fail to reduce viral transmission nationwide immediately, we could see 1,100 – 1,500 cases per day and 300-450 people in hospital by November 7th.”

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/coronavirus-ireland-updates

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Bit early to be saying Dublin worked, give it 2 more weeks.

I don't care weather it worked the way they wanted it or enough but Thomas Ryan saying that despite restrictions in Dublin growth rate us still exponential is disingenuous. As far as I know maths reproduction rate of 1 doesn't make exponential growth. Growth might be exponential in the rest of the country but in Dublin it is not.

Or did maths laws suddenly change in the pandemic and 1×1 suddenly became 1.3 or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Well, I said before schools opened and before the Living with Covid plan was published, that if we made it to the mid-term break without the schools closing, we would be doing well. I fully expected that we may have had schools closed for a long period after the mid term break. I personally think they should close for the whole of November, alongside a Level 5 circuit breaker lockdown. I think it will be the only way for us to get a close to normal Christmas and I understand that we have to align our policy with NI.

As for me personally, I'm dreading it really if I'm to tell the truth. This past month has made such a difference with work since I have had 8 hours uninterrupted time to work during the day. I had got most projects back on track and with a lot of hours, will be able to close them out by the end of year as originally planned. But with the schools - and crucially for me, the creches - closed, achieving those targets will be impossible. My employer will be understanding I think. They were during March to June, though I could feel the exasperated undertone in July and August. So who knows.

I'm usually a really upbeat, optimistic, "it will all be fine" kind of person, and I love a routine. I feel guilty for saying it - my kids are fabulous, funny, engaging little dotes. But going back to trying to do my own job (even just firefighting the priority stuff), while working around my husband's job schedule, on top of home schooling and in the middle of winter with nowhere open to take the kids to...well, the dread is really beginning to wriggle under my skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't care weather it worked the way they wanted it or enough but Thomas Ryan saying that despite restrictions in Dublin growth rate us still exponential is disingenuous. As far as I know maths reproduction rate of 1 doesn't make exponential growth. Growth might be exponential in the rest of the country but in Dublin it is not.

Or did maths laws suddenly change in the pandemic and 1×1 suddenly became 1.3 or whatever.

have you a link for that? as far as i was aware it was at 1.3 a few days ago, you cant judge r0 rate on a few days results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I think the ages of the Kids makes a big difference in households too.
    Ours are 11 and 14. And as I said earlier both are independent with their school work anyway. As in I wouldn't be sitting with them while doing it but would be checking it afterwards.
    But if they were say 5 and 8 or even younger again, I think that we would be in a different ballgame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

khalessi wrote: »

My daughters school, secondary, are testing virtual learning days in the next couple of weeks with all the class years, precursor of what’s to come I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Just in relation to the story about extending the mid term break: is it a two week break or will teaching move online for the second week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Will be devastated if schools close it’s the only bit of normality for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Just in relation to the story about extending the mid term break: is it a two week break or will teaching move online for the second week?

That is the million dollar question.

I would prefer if they are doing it, that it was an extra week because then kids would be on even playing field. A few of the kids here this year have no access to laptops so would be severely hampered compared to their classmates. Take the week somewhere else, painful but even playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

Extending mid-term must be some sort of joke.
    Schools should either be closed or they shouldn't. I don't see how the mid-term dates are relevant.

• Advertisement

I would prefer if they are doing it, that it was an extra week because then kids would be on even playing field. A few of the kids here this year have no access to laptops so would be severely hampered compared to their classmates. Take the week somewhere else, painful but even playing field.

It wouldn't surprise me if the took 2 weeks the week before midterm, but if cases keep going the way they are predicted i don't see schools back after 2 weeks, however as this whole return to school has defied every bit if logic i can muster my opinion means sweet **** all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Perfectly acceptable if it is only for the two weeks. If it's for longer though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

dubrov wrote: »
    Extending mid-term must be some sort of joke.
    Schools should either be closed or they shouldn't. I don't see how the mid-term dates are relevant.

The only way it could be relevant is if it’s timed to tie in with an escalation of restrictions to level 4 or 5.

But like others have said, what parent, student or teacher believes that it will only be a two week closure?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-schools-department-education-issue-22818590

And then the department makes a statement to further muddy/confuse the message being sent out.

Kh1993 wrote: »
    The only way it could be relevant is if it’s timed to tie in with an escalation of restrictions to level 4 or 5.

But like others have said, what parent, student or teacher believes that it will only be a two week closure?

I think it will be 4-6 weeks to tie in with level 4 or 5, allow for return before Christmas and will hopefully put us at a better place so that we can enjoy the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

I think it will be 4-6 weeks to tie in with level 4 or 5, allow for return before Christmas and will hopefully put us at a better place so that we can enjoy the season.

And then repeat and close again in January unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

I think the writing was on the wall when RTE announced yesterday the Home Hub was returning...

I'll absolutely furious if schools close and it goes beyond the two weeks, mainly because it DIDN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY.

If we'd attempted a staggered/half return at the end of summer we'd have the systems in place now to keep the schools open in some form in all but the very worst case scenarios. Absolute failure of governance from the Department.

the corpo wrote: »
    I think the writing was on the wall when RTE announced yesterday the Home Hub was returning...

I'll absolutely furious if schools close and it goes beyond the two weeks, mainly because it DIDN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY.

If we'd attempted a staggered/half return at the end of summer we'd have the systems in place now to keep the schools open in some form in all but the very worst case scenarios. Absolute failure of governance from the Department.

I missed that news...

100% on the failure of the dept.

the corpo wrote: »

Didn't see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Hadn't heard about the Home Hub returning. Knew TG4 have had their version running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

ah feck, maybe it was a fever dream....

Hadn't heard about the Home Hub returning. Knew TG4 have had their version running.

Had a quick look there now. It's called After School Hub and starts next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-schools-department-education-issue-22818590

And then the department makes a statement to further muddy/confuse the message being sent out.

This part is brilliant:

To date the evidence demonstrates that schools have reopened safely supported by significant investment to support all infection prevention and control measures recommended by the public health authorities.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    This part is brilliant:

To date the evidence demonstrates that schools have reopened safely supported by significant investment to support all infection prevention and control measures recommended by the public health authorities.

Department will someone come out if this farce smelling of roses anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't think they will shut the schools for 4 or 5 weeks tbh.
    A 2 week break is enough to get rid of most cases of the virus, as long as it is done properly and everyone behaves themselves.

So I can see schools being closed for 2 weeks, total work lockdown like April but this time really strict rules with fines for those breaking the rules. Only essential workers allowed to go to work. Only supermarkets and chemists opened. No takeaways open.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't think they will shut the schools for 4 or 5 weeks tbh.
    A 2 week break is enough to get rid of most cases of the virus, as long as it is done properly and everyone behaves themselves.

So I can see schools being closed for 2 weeks, total work lockdown like April but this time really strict rules with fines for those breaking the rules. Only essential workers allowed to go to work. Only supermarkets and chemists opened. No takeaways open.

Problem is if they leave everything at level 3 for another 2-3 weeks the virus will continue seeding to the point where numbers will still be rising in 5-6 weeks, how will they justify sending kids back into school with higher numbers than the 2 weeks previous.

Im still of the opinion there will be no extended midterm or school closures, if they close them they will struggle to reopen them on top of admitting they where wrong about schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The Dept have said no decision about schools have been made, they are open at level 4 and there are no closures on the cards.

So is this another example of some stupid person making a comment and it being ran with by the media? Have us all up in arms and worried for nothing?

jrosen wrote: »
    The Dept have said no decision about schools have been made, they are open at level 4 and there are no closures on the cards.

So is this another example of some stupid person making a comment and it being ran with by the media? Have us all up in arms and worried for nothing?

They were discussing it in the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

JDD wrote: »
    As for me personally, I'm dreading it really if I'm to tell the truth. This past month has made such a difference with work since I have had 8 hours uninterrupted time to work during the day. I had got most projects back on track and with a lot of hours, will be able to close them out by the end of year as originally planned. But with the schools - and crucially for me, the creches - closed, achieving those targets will be impossible. My employer will be understanding I think. They were during March to June, though I could feel the exasperated undertone in July and August. So who knows.

Sorry to ask but how come you have 8h uninterrupted since school started, is it cause you are using after school activities ?
    Kids don't stay 8h in school hours - 9-15h doesn't mean 8h !!!

For me as a working parent I am sick of collecting from secondary school at 15h while logged onto/listening to my really important afternoon meetings. I am dreading all last weeks, cause before while in primary I always had paid after-school organized, and now I have no effing option.
    So don't start me on this one, I would really prefer reduced hours in school at this stage, 4h would work much better from my work schedule point of view - if now with covid there is no environment to have it all same as before (school and after school activities), the part time they are providing doesn't suit my work schedule at all!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement