Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixel 5

Options

Comments

914 wrote: »
    Those who have the phone now for a while how are you finding it?

On the look out for a new phone and the pixel 5 seems to be ticking the right boxes for me.

The size, battery amd camera are important to me as I like a comfortable phone that can last a day and take good photos out side of that I browse social media so the drop ibln processor I don't see as an issue.

I love it. Battery life is great. Form factor is perfect, small enough phone with still a decent enough sized screen. I really can't fault it so far.

Regarding the processor, I had nothing but flagships for well over a decade, and I can't tell any difference with this phone for my usual usage. A few years ago, phones were a lagfest if they didn't have the top Snapdragon, but those days are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Only a small upgrade for me going from a distinct mi 9t to this, mainly for the smaller form factor.

So far I love it, the speaker which is complained about so much is fine imo, I typically have headphones on for music and while YouTube seems fine without headphones.

The battery has been pretty good to, I'm at 41% now with about 5.5 hrs screen time and last charged 2 days ago which has been typical over the past few weeks.

Granted I'm always connected to WiFi, most calls these days are via zoom etc (on my pc), and generally is browsing the web, email or Reddit with occasional music or podcasts when away from the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Love the camera and the software, would like it to charge faster and bigger screen, hopefully they bring out an XL one next year, that would tick all the boxes.

Was hoping o could use android auto wirelessly, but I had to plug the pixel in, my car supports WiFi but it's a 2017 motor, probably only supported on 2021 cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

WezzyB wrote: »
    Love the camera and the software, would like it to charge faster and bigger screen, hopefully they bring out an XL one next year, that would tick all the boxes.

Was hoping o could use android auto wirelessly, but I had to plug the pixel in, my car supports WiFi but it's a 2017 motor, probably only supported on 2021 cars...

You need a car with 5ghz wifi I think for wireless Android Auto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭914

Thanks for the feedback lads. All sounds very positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just got one of these yesterday, I'm coming from a P4XL, it's nice to go back to a smaller phone for me, only difference I have noticed so far that's killing me is the lack of active edge on it and the photos take around 2 seconds more to process, not a deal breaker...

Pretty sure for me the P4XL was cursed, I returned 4 of them in a year with the same issue prevalent on 3 of them so I got a refund off Google and bought this...

Fieldog wrote: »
    Just got one of these yesterday, I'm coming from a P4XL, it's nice to go back to a smaller phone for me, only difference I have noticed so far that's killing me is the lack of active edge on it and the photos take around 2 seconds more to process, not a deal breaker...

Pretty sure for me the P4XL was cursed, I returned 4 of them in a year with the same issue prevalent on 3 of them so I got a refund off Google and bought this...

Yeah, having had HTC phones with the squeeze features in the past, it's something you really get used to. I used to have multiple things mapped to single squeeze, double and long. It doesn't take long to get used to not having it though.

The camera seems slow to me too. I try to take photos of my 11month old, who wont sit still, and it struggles a little bit. Hopefully it's just a setting I need to find

With regards to the headphones, how are peoples claims looking? I submitted mine last week, and last update still shows November 11th.
    Going to wait until next week before chasing them, as at least I will have had the phone officially for two weeks at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Anyone having connection issue with Vodafone, keeps dropping calls and wifi poor signal? Its not the sim as works perfect with my partners Pixel.

Factory reset did nothing. Might have to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The camera seems slow to me too. I try to take photos of my 11month old, who wont sit still, and it struggles a little bit. Hopefully it's just a setting I need to find

With regards to the headphones, how are peoples claims looking? I submitted mine last week, and last update still shows November 11th.
    Going to wait until next week before chasing them, as at least I will have had the phone officially for two weeks at that stage

It's pretty slow on this phone as it doesn't have the same neural core sensors as the P4 or P4XL, but it's 300 quid cheaper so I will learn to live with it...

Forgot to claim the headphones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Fieldog wrote: »
    It's pretty slow on this phone as it doesn't have the same neural core sensors as the P4 or P4XL, but it's 300 quid cheaper so I will learn to live with it...

Forgot to claim the headphones!

The headphones you will be waiting a while, a friend put in a claim week ago still nothing. He called Monday and was told they are having technical issues and cant validate any claims at the moment. Its meant to be within 2 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

dan786 wrote: »
    The headphones you will be waiting a while, a friend put in a claim week ago still nothing. He called Monday and was told they are having technical issues and cant validate any claims at the moment. Its meant to be within 2 working days.

I submitted a claim this day last week but I'm still at the 'claim received' stage. Hopefully they'll sort this out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I submitted a claim this day last week but I'm still at the 'claim received' stage. Hopefully they'll sort this out soon

It took a week before they processed my claim (I had to raise a ticket with them to give them a nudge) and then another 3 weeks for the dispatch of the hedphones.

Echoes675 wrote: »
    It took a week before they processed my claim (I had to raise a ticket with them to give them a nudge) and then another 3 weeks for the dispatch of the headphones.

Im going to wait until next week before contacting Google. At least then, I will honestly have the phone for two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭walshy_c

My headphone claim has been validated since 21st October, still waiting for delivery. Anyone else waiting this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭danicm

walshy_c wrote: »
    My headphone claim has been validated since 21st October, still waiting for delivery. Anyone else waiting this long?

I think pretty much everyone! At least you've had yours validated, there's a bunch of us still waiting for it to be validated.

walshy_c wrote: »

Validated since Oct 16 with no indication of them being sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

jozi wrote: »
    Validated since Oct 16 with no indication of them being sent

Mine validated 17 October and not a sausage.
    Guess they really covered their asses with the 'up to 60 days' disclaimer

wingnut wrote: »
    Mine validated 17 October and not a sausage.
    Guess they really covered their asses with the 'up to 60 days' disclaimer

Absolutely!

I cancelled my order for Sony wh-1000m3 when I learned of the Bose deal, I've since reordered the Sony and they are fantastic! Kind of hoping they don't pull through with the Bose and offer something else or cash or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

Anyone else use their phone for recording GPS activities?

I use mine for Strava and the accuracy has been all over the place. The route is jumping around and doesn't settle. Was never a problem with my 4 year old Samsung.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I'm pulling the trigger on either the 5 or the 4a 5g this week, can't decide between them though. Not sure if the extra features are worth the €100 premium. Anyone used both?

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I'm pulling the trigger on either the 5 or the 4a 5g this week, can't decide between them though. Not sure if the extra features are worth the €100 premium. Anyone used both?

Had you been asking the question about 5 days ago, it would have been a no-brainer as you'd qualify for the free QC 35's with the 4a 5G.

Going for the 4a 5G is slightly bigger screen and a headphone jack.

5 has waterproofing, wireless charging, more RAM and slightly bigger battery.

It just depends which features matter to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 username3

If anyone was wondering, I rang regarding a headphone request that was validated on the 14th October.
    They effectively said get back to us if you don't get them before 60 days. So not much point in ringing till the 60 days is over.

username3 wrote: »
    If anyone was wondering, I rang regarding a headphone request that was validated on the 14th October.
    They effectively said get back to us if you don't get them before 60 days. So not much point in ringing till the 60 days is over.

I submitted my request 2 weeks ago, and the latest status is "Claim Received"
    No update since November 11th. Going to call them on Wednesday

Panda5000 wrote: »
    Anyone else use their phone for recording GPS activities?

I use mine for Strava and the accuracy has been all over the place. The route is jumping around and doesn't settle. Was never a problem with my 4 year old Samsung.

Here's an example of the GPS problem. And no, this wasn't a late night meander home after a bag of cans!

533889.png

Here's an example of the GPS problem. And no, this wasn't a late night meander home after a bag of cans!

533889.png

That doesn't look good, I'll try to remember to test on mine when I get a chance.

If it were me, I'd be getting a Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

533889.png
    Used it driving the other day without issue

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭danicm

I submitted my request 2 weeks ago, and the latest status is "Claim Received"
    No update since November 11th. Going to call them on Wednesday

I'm exactly on the same boat.

Basil3 wrote: »
    That doesn't look good, I'll try to remember to test on mine when I get a chance.

If it were me, I'd be getting a Garmin.

I have a Garmin Forerunner which I use for running but generally use the phone for walks (this) and cycles.
    Meesared wrote: »
    Used it driving the other day without issue

It should be accurate enough for driving directions, but this route with my old phone would show clearly I did one direction on the northern footpath and returned on the southern footpath.

The issue with recording activities is all the jumping also significantly overestimates the distance covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

dan786 wrote: »
    Anyone having connection issue with Vodafone, keeps dropping calls and wifi poor signal? Its not the sim as works perfect with my partners Pixel.

Factory reset did nothing. Might have to return.

I have the pixel 5 and cell coverage is noticeably much poorer than the 3a. I posted about it in Reddit and many seem to have the same issue.

Advertisement