Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think the brewer has retired! Watch out for the swab data on the thread, it can give an indicator.

I think the brewer was SD :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

The apparent 'stabilisation' in Dublin's 14-day/100k numbers is due to the unusually low (outlier, if you will) number of cases on 8 September (50).

It is not indicative of the trend.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1308449879883239424

Correction: It's more that the 180 cases on 7 Sept have dropped off. But the 14k number for Dublin will increase tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Properties listed for rent on Daft have increased 260% since March, just before lockdown began. This maybe belongs in the positives thread!

Yup, but landlords still increasing rents!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The apparent 'stabilisation' in Dublin's 14-day/100k numbers is due to the unusually low (outlier, if you will) number of cases on 8 September (50).

It is not indicative of the trend.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1308449879883239424
    You could throw Sep 20th in with that too, quite low and outlier as you said, skewing the average

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Just be aware that the recommended daily intake level is 400-800iu per day but this isn't enough to maintain good levels of vitamin D and certainly not enough if you are deficient.

I recently got mine tested by the GP and I was at 56 nmo/l. According to the test, this was seen as sufficient as is anything between 30-125 nmo/l, but this is outdated.

According to Rhonda Patrick, a biochemist doing some really in depth research into the effects of Vitamin D on the body, 75 nmo/l is adequate, 72.5 - 50 nmo/l is inadequate and anything below 50 is deficient.

So even though I'm being told my levels are sufficient, I am actually bordering a deficiency.

She would recommend 4000-5000iu per day to build levels and likes to make clear that it is extremely difficult to raise levels to the point where they cause a toxic effect.

You should look her up and listen to some of her podcasts. She's one of the most intelligent people my ears have ever had the privilege to listen to.

The safe upper limit per day is regarded as being around 4,000iu, however up to 10,000 generally will cause no issue. Anyone on such high doses would be advised to have levels tested regularly however. Vitamin D is not water soluble no it is not easy for the body to get rid of excess, so while there is margin for increased intake, its not limitless.

The evidence for Vitamin D in relation to covid in particular is limited however. It does help the immune system in general, and gonig into deficieny is not good for your overall health and in fighting infection. The evidence on Covid in particular seems a bit circumstantial however. Some of the risk factors associated with Covid are also associated with Vitamin D deficiency - such as obesity and old age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Herd immunity is pie in the sky, there is not shred of evidence of it anywhere nor a realistic hope that it will occur.

Anecdotal data coming up! Spoke to someone who works in a nursing home, don't know where. They arranged to get the residents out into the sun on one of the nice days recently because they were sad and depressed they couldn't see their families. That I imagine is replicated up and down the country. Lives can be put in danger in other ways by "protecting" people.

The US has over 15,000 more alzheimer deaths than usual this year. Routine and visits from family is very important to keep these patients happy and as healthy as possible even with their condition. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

You would assume that some reporters surely get the figures early? I'm surprised there's less leaks tbh unless they're under NDAs/Blackouts.

I'd say they have trusted sources, but if they were to report on numbers early, it would be irresponsible.
    We've seen with our beer Baron, figures do change over the day, just by 1 or 2 all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

froog wrote: »
    Just reflects how good testing is. UK have been bad for a while.

The UK have had a 33% hospitalisation rate, their testing was that bad at the start (only testing in hospitals)

Herd immunity is pie in the sky, there is not shred of evidence of it anywhere nor a realistic hope that it will occur.

Anecdotal data coming up! Spoke to someone who works in a nursing home, don't know where. They arranged to get the residents out into the sun on one of the nice days recently because they were sad and depressed they couldn't see their families. That I imagine is replicated up and down the country. Lives can be put in danger in other ways by "protecting" people.

"Herd Immunity" or more accurately the parallel increase in inherent immunity of the population and weakening of the virus through natural selection resultiing in the virus becoming endemic as part of the annual flu season is what did for Spanish Flu, Russian Flu, Hong Kong Flu etc. etc etc.

We either achieve this through natural or vaccine induced immunity, preferably vaccine, be we cant wait forever

So you haven't accounted for the regular occurrence of cases from Thursday being backlogged into the weekend's figures?

The impact will be normalised by taken an average measure over a number of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

200iu is the daily nrv value. Whilst more might be better in a very dark winter if you weren't getting out, surely the amounts you are recommending are overkill for healthy people who have been spending time outside all summer

Not at all, please have a look for yourself. I honestly wouldn't do it justice by trying to explain but take a look at Dr Rhonda Patrick's research and have a listen to her podcasts on Vitamin D. She sits with many other academics and they all come to agreement, following her research.

It's up there as one of the most important vitamins you can be taking, effecting the expression of near 1000 genes in the body.

Adequate levels reduce DNA damage and slows telomeres shortening (telomere length on our DNA is a true reflection of our bodies age and provides a better idea of how long you have left to live).

Please don't shut this down straight away, do yourself a favour and look her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

"Germany is to declare Dublin a Covid-19 risk area today, requiring anyone arriving from the Irish capital to take a free Covid-19 test."
    I have a cunning plan to get us some more testing capacity....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The safe upper limit per day is regarded as being around 4,000iu, however up to 10,000 generally will cause no issue. Anyone on such high doses would be advised to have levels tested regularly however. Vitamin D is not water soluble no it is not easy for the body to get rid of excess, so while there is margin for increased intake, its not limitless.

The evidence for Vitamin D in relation to covid in particular is limited however. It does help the immune system in general, and gonig into deficieny is not good for your overall health and in fighting infection. The evidence on Covid in particular seems a bit circumstantial however. Some of the risk factors associated with Covid are also associated with Vitamin D deficiency - such as obesity and old age.

Yeah her advice was originally 4000iu per day and she changed that to 5000iu recently after she noticed her own base levels dropping on the 4000iu dose. 5000 seems to be her sweet spot and she is as healthy as they come.

Everyone is different so getting a test is a must but just remember that old medicine will tell you you're not deficient when you could in fact be, as was the case with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

hmmm wrote: »
    I have a cunning plan to get us some more testing capacity....

As cunning as a fox who’s just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,738 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The debate in UK medical and Academic circles is not just Gupta vs the rest however and is being discussed in the BMJ no less.

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3702.full

An argument is lost when you resort to cheap insults over facts

:confused:

It's not being discussed, it's being reported on by the BMJ.

Not once when asked has she stated how to identify the vulnerable and how to shield them for her let it rip approach, which has now been changed to "controlled" but doesn't make it any less stupid.

She was asked again last night and instead of answering decided to channel a dead Irish writer.

An absolute scutter merchant who is basing her "ideas" largely on her ego and not science.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

314 positive swabs out of 12520 swabs. 2.51% positivity

Still looking stable

Probably ~ 250-300 cases announced today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

314 positive swabs on 12,520 tests - 2.51% positivity rate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The HPSC said "the outbreaks are associated with school children and or school staff" but it said the "transmission of Covid-19 within the school has not necessarily been established".

It seems to be more with schools that they try harder to say it wasn't necessarily the cause. Don't hear them talk about a restaurant in those terms.
    When you freak people out about restaurants a lot of people will lose their jobs whereas if you freak them out about schools, people with children can't work. I reckon the latter are probably the larger number of people.

Claire Byrne was talking to a smug Irish expat living as though everything is back to normal, in China, right now. He described how they were all very worried about covid at the start and took every extreme measure necessary to stamp it out; everyone who needed a test got one, they traced every contact, nobody left the house never mind having parties, school was online etc. Everyone had the app which monitors your location and notifies you if you need a test. Even now they scan the app to make sure you're healthy before admittance to shops, restaurants etc.

Big surprise a totalitarian regime with a penchant for creating perfect conditions for viral spread at any moment are doing fine. I'm not sure what we're supposed to do with that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

No mention of long term morbidity caused by covid.
    Don't worry, I'm sure you won't let any of us forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

seamus wrote: »
    314 positive swabs out of 12520 swabs. 2.51% positivity

Still looking stable

Probably ~ 250-300 cases announced today.

Can anyone explain to me in layman's terms what the delay is between positive swabs and case numbers? Is it retesting of week positives? Tainted tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Benimar wrote: »

Seems like a high enough positivity rate

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me in layman's terms what the delay is between positive swabs and case numbers? Is it retesting of week positives? Tainted tests?
    I believe it's to do with the chain of notification. Until the test result gets to a doctor, it's not known whether it's a new case or a retest. Then the doctor reports it to the HSE/HPSC after notifying the patient.

This is why sometimes there's a backlog of cases which were detected 3 days ago but not reported to the HPSC until today. A GP may receive a notification today, but not act on it until tomorrow lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Benimar wrote: »

Is the usual backlog gone as yesterday?

hynesie08 wrote: »

They never gave out that information, people suspected that they grouped work places and clusters so a factory having tests all week, they'd not report the positive figures until all tests were back.

Now it seems all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Is the usual backlog gone as yesterday?

Genuinely hard to know.

The numbers used to align for ages - backlog builds up and full backlog cleared in one day.

This seemed to change from the beginning of last week as the full backlog wasn't being cleared. Some on here seem to suggest that positives will now be higher than announced as some HCWs have to be tested before returning to work and may still be positive - but obviously not a new case.

I've no reason to doubt this, but since 10th September there were 84 more positives than cases announced after yesterdays figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Oranage2 wrote: »
    They never gave out that information, people suspected that they grouped work places and clusters so a factory having tests all week, they'd not report the positive figures until all tests were back.

Now it seems all over the place.
    Which is why the 5, 7,14 day averages and cases per 100K are better measures of what's going on. Even Glynn is dismissive of the importance of the daily numbers. It doesn't stop him using them as a daily warning, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So you haven't accounted for the regular occurrence of cases from Thursday being backlogged into the weekend's figures?
    Obviously they are included in the next week, so percentage for is week is up and the other is down.
    As you can see conservative because an increase in a week with more cases is less significant than a decrease in a week with less cases.
    So the only week where the increase could adversely affect the numbers in a negative light as regards lesser numbers is week 1 because the numbers have been rising since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

s1ippy wrote: »
    When you freak people out about restaurants a lot of people will lose their jobs whereas if you freak them out about schools, people with children can't work. I reckon the latter are probably the larger number of people.

Claire Byrne was talking to a smug Irish expat living as though everything is back to normal, in China, right now. He described how they were all very worried about covid at the start and took every extreme measure necessary to stamp it out; everyone who needed a test got one, they traced every contact, nobody left the house never mind having parties, school was online etc. Everyone had the app which monitors your location and notifies you if you need a test. Even now they scan the app to make sure you're healthy before admittance to shops, restaurants etc.
    Big surprise a totalitarian regime with a penchant for creating perfect conditions for viral spread at any moment are doing fine. I'm not sure what we're supposed to do with that information.

I remember in the early days of covid being identified in China and China getting some sh1t about it. I was also guilty of cursing them too. They turned things around and they really hammered down on the virus and stamped it out.

I would prefer that type of totalitarian regime here if it means that we could get back to some normaility soon enough. As it is, many of us are living on edge trying to avoid this virus in the hope of a vaccine coming through soon. We had far too much of lackadaisical approach and society divided.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

testing numbers from 31/08/2020 to today
    527188.jpg

• Advertisement

Which is why the 5, 7,14 day averages and cases per 100K are better measures of what's going on. Even Glynn is dismissive of the importance of the daily numbers. It doesn't stop him using them as a daily warning, though!

The weekly numbers are also increasing at an alarming rate, 2 months ago we had around a 100 cases a week, we have that now before I have breakfast

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement