Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Could someone explain this:

USA death rate vs cases = 7,098k cases vs 205k deaths which gives 2.8% death rate.

UK figures 405 k cases vs 41.8 k deaths which gives 10.3 % death rate

While Ireland figures gives 33,444 cases vs 1,792 deaths which gives a 5.36 % death rate.

This makes me think these figures are not reliable at all. Either deaths are misreported or cases are misreported, or both.

A 4 to 1 ratio for the USA numbers vs the UK numbers looks suspicious.

These are Worldometer figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

wadacrack wrote: »
    Likely to be a problem here too. Most courses cannot be 100% online

https://twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1308731893278478337

Well from what I've read on here - the broadband in Ireland is so terrible (even in parts of Cork) that we couldn't even countenance using some online learning tools for our children.

I assume the same applies to 3rd level - they must remain open!

Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Could someone explain this:

USA death rate vs cases = 7,098k cases vs 205k deaths which gives 2.8% death rate.

UK figures 405 k cases vs 41.8 k deaths which gives 10.3 % death rate

While Ireland figures gives 33,444 cases vs 1,792 deaths which gives a 5.36 % death rate.

This makes me think these figures are not reliable at all. Either deaths are misreported or cases are misreported, or both.

A 4 to 1 ratio for the USA numbers vs the UK numbers looks suspicious.

It shows these headline figures are meaningless and that deaths are counted differently in countries. As well, you would need to know what testing is like in each country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

seamus wrote: »
    It was called out by some in the early days of this pandemic, and has been discovered to be more and more true as time goes on; A lot of the studies, tests and suggestions that came out of Wuhan in the first 3 months of this year, are fairly crap.

Granted, it was the only place in the world to have any insight at all, but for one reason or another, a lot of the assumptions that were initially made based on the Wuhan experience, as well as claims of what does and doesn't work, have turned out to be wrong or otherwise not reproducible.

It seems like China poured lots of effort in researching anything and everything about the virus, and happily published even the most flimsy and preliminary of data. The media of course are always more than happy to print anything vaguely interesting. Whether it has any validity or not is irrelevant.

If the WHO were to explore all of these iffy suggestions, a lot of resources could be wasted on dead ends.

That’s fine, WHO can’t explore all suggestions, but the VIT D one should of been answered at this stage. I really don’t get that.

The virus travelling 8 metres distance on a bus (virus transmitting) was never really explored either until months after the Chinese announced it in Feb. Feels like it’s more political and social will (like schools , airlines etc) , as opposed to resources.

Is there not enough countries and institutions and scientists looking at the virus for even flimsy evidence to be debunked? It’s been around for over half a year, with the whole world working on solutions, I find it hard to believe that it’s been impossible for them to redivert some resources to alternative strategies to reduce the impact. Really does feel like most are taking an all (Vaccine, shut downs, contact tracing) or nothing approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

? Was sunny in Springtime but in some places was the dullest summer since records began.

Must get some Vit D into me alright.

If lack of Vit D is a major factor, why were there such high infection and death rates in Italy, Spain, Texas, Florida and California? Further south, longer days in the winter, milder winters, people outdoors a lot more? I can't see many Italians or Floridians low in Vit D? You only need ten minutes exposure on skin the size of the backs of your hands to get all the Vit D you need for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The CMO pleading with younger people to stay on board with the public health guidelines.

It's not just younger people she had to plead to imo. It's everyone with a massive sense of entitlement to do what they want and please and to fcuk with anyone else.
    That does for all - I know a lady working in retail and there's a huge push back against the requirement to wear masks from some customers.
    Some older people coughing and spluttering openly and algeric to covering their own coughs. Many of these will be able to find their ways to the open pubs now.
    People travelling abroad to red listed countries/UK and not quarantining when they arrive home because its too much of an inconvenience for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JDD wrote: »
    If lack of Vit D is a major factor, why were there such high infection and death rates in Italy, Spain, Texas, Florida and California? Further south, longer days in the winter, milder winters, people outdoors a lot more? I can't see many Italians or Floridians low in Vit D? You only need ten minutes exposure on skin the size of the backs of your hands to get all the Vit D you need for the day.

A study in 2010 found between 30 and 50% of Spanish people are vitamin D deficient.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/ejcn2010265

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

A study in 2010 found between 30 and 50% of Spanish people are vitamin D deficient.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/ejcn2010265

Don’t have a link but I believe VIT D deficiency effects up to 42% of Americans.

Also many black people (in northern regions, including Uk and parts of USA) suffer VIT D deficiency as they Naturally need more sun.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Don’t have a link but I believe VIT D deficiency effects up to 42% of Americans.

Also many black people (in northern regions, including Uk and parts of USA) suffer VIT D deficiency as they Naturally need more sun.

As far as i know the death stats are skewed for black people in the US compared to others. A possible explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

wadacrack wrote: »
    Likely to be a problem here too. Most courses cannot be 100% online

https://twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1308731893278478337

Most are online though.

My brother was supposed to be in 1 Tuesday every 3 weeks with the rest online.

Since Dublin is in level 3 its now all online, no Tuesday every 3 weeks in college.

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    COVID has already far outpaced seasonal influenza in this small 'second wave'. ICU admissions in Spain in a typical entire influenza season are 1230 approx.

<link removed>

Currently in ICU in Spain at this very moment with COVID 1417

Uhhhhhhhhhhh i think that’s the wrong link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

&#55357;&#56837;&#55357;&#56837;&#55357;&#56837;&#55357;&#56837;&#55357;&#56837;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56837;&#55357;&#56837;&#55358;&#56596;&#55357;&#56900;&#55357;&#56900;&#55357;&#56900;

I wouldnt click it if i were ye

COVID has already far outpaced seasonal influenza in this small 'second wave'. ICU admissions in Spain in a typical entire influenza season are 1230 approx.

<link removed>

Which hospital is that

Is that instead of the beers

<link removed>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

:o:o:o

This is the link...https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5818358/

I don't think I'll ever post again omg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Not the only cheeks that are red

Time for a new account!!!!

Which hospital is that

This is possibly the funniest comment ive seen on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭blowitupref

ca0db34970bafa8d-wtf-face-girl-gifs-the-nug.gif

This is the link...https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5818358/

I don't think I'll ever post again omg

I see you're enjoying working from home.

don't worry about it :)

actually I haven't clicked the link, so maybe I'll reserve judgement until I hear about its content

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Having reviewed this link, I'm not convinced it was her first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm not saying it's the definitive and sole cause, but I wonder did our relatively sunny summer help lower numbers at all? As soon as I read about Vit D in April I started taking it, but also made sure to get out into the sun as much as possible.

June-August was the dullest Irish summer on record overall. The Spring was one of the most sunny ever recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

George very pleased with latest Dublin numbers on the News At 1. Says numbers might be topping out and message might be hitting home.

Surely far too early for the new restrictions to be having an impact.

robbiezero wrote: »
    George very pleased with latest Dublin numbers on the News At 1. Says numbers might be topping out and message might be hitting home.

Next week earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

Far too early

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Its made in the US and you know what Trump is like.

We also know that shareholders love their revenue growth, and thats not going to happen in the US alone for a $30bn company like Abbott. Only 25% of their revenue comes from diagnostics, with the bulk being from medical devices where there is zero growth in the US and massive growth in AMEA countries who would not take kindly to being frozen out.

Donald Trump thinks he has more power than he actually has

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Something is up, if he's not his usual doom-mongering self. We'll await today's figures for him to panic and spread fear.

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Something is up, if he's not his usual doom-mongering self. We'll await today's figures for him to panic and spread fear.
    You would assume that some reporters surely get the figures early? I'm surprised there's less leaks tbh unless they're under NDAs/Blackouts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement