Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

You could throw Sep 20th in with that too, quite low and outlier as you said, skewing the average

The reason for the 14 day incidence figure is to flatten out outliers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

owlbethere wrote: »
    I remember in the early days of covid being identified in China and China getting some sh1t about it. I was also guilty of cursing them too. They turned things around and they really hammered down on the virus and stamped it out.

I would prefer that type of totalitarian regime here if it means that we could get back to some normaility soon enough. As it is, many of us are living on edge trying to avoid this virus in the hope of a vaccine coming through soon. We had far too much of lackadaisical approach and society divided.

Great bunch of lads, the totalitarian regime worked out well for this child. Careful what you wish for.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51362772

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'm sure you won't let any of us forget.

Why would that not be factored into a long term strategy. I think most people's worst case scenario is a winter lockdown.

I think that is the most likely given the numbers a seasonal effects (based on other respiratory illnesses that peak in the winter).

You don't make a plan based on best case. You have to go somewhere in the middle.

Best case scenario to me is
    • seroprevalence very high
    • waning strength of virus
    • mutation towards mundane
    • Vaccine in 6 months

Worst case scenario
    • long tail severe morbidity, i.e 3 years plus effects become known creating massive burden on health service as time goes on and compounding as more
    • no robust immune response. i.e reinfection most likely to occur every 2 years
    • no change in strength of virus or mutation to for the worse
    • severe economic damage due to fear and spread and supply shortages.
    • mortality in those most vulnerable
    • vaccine impossible or not practical on the time scales involved

seamus wrote: »
    314 positive swabs out of 12520 swabs. 2.51% positivity

Still looking stable

Probably ~ 250-300 cases announced today.

Excellent. Remaining steady. No exponential growth happening.

100 or so of those swabs are false positives too if the HSE is to be believed :D

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Yeah her advice was originally 4000iu per day and she changed that to 5000iu recently after she noticed her own base levels dropping on the 4000iu dose. 5000 seems to be her sweet spot and she is as healthy as they come.

Everyone is different so getting a test is a must but just remember that old medicine will tell you you're not deficient when you could in fact be, as was the case with me.

You mean peer reviewed evidence? A biochemist is only proficient in biochemistry. I wouldn't never take medical advice from a biochemist like you wouldn't take biochemistry assay information from a health care professional.

• Advertisement

I would prefer that type of totalitarian regime here if it means that we could get back to some normaility soon enough.

You need to cop on. The Chinese govt place very little value on human life.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ax530

dissapointing that the 14-day Incidence Rate per 100,000 Population by Local Electoral Area (LEA) is not being updated on the data hub, it is still showing numbers from 1st to 14th
    was there any info given as to how often this would be updated ?
    would be interested to know if case numbers are growing in my area

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Excellent. Remaining steady. No exponential growth happening.

100 or so of those swabs are false positives too if the HSE is to be believed :D
    Can be not are, if you test in very high numbers.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Can be not are, if you test in very high numbers.

Little nod to debate from last night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

I remember in the early days of covid being identified in China and China getting some sh1t about it. I was also guilty of cursing them too. They turned things around and they really hammered down on the virus and stamped it out.

I would prefer that type of totalitarian regime here if it means that we could get back to some normaility soon enough. As it is, many of us are living on edge trying to avoid this virus in the hope of a vaccine coming through soon. We had far too much of lackadaisical approach and society divided.

Where the local Gardai can see what you had for dinner, what TV you bought last week, who you were with last night, what time you woke up at and went to sleep? Really, is that the normality you want?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

You need to cop on. The Chinese govt place very little value on human life.

Yeah you might want to revise that. :eek:

527189.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeah you might want to revise that. :eek:

527189.jpg

Lol. Does anyone belive that China really only had that many deaths? Come off it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

OwenM wrote: »
    Where the local Gardai can see what you had for dinner, what TV you bought last week, who you were with last night, what time you woke up at and went to sleep? Really, is that the normality you want?

I'm not in favour of complee totalitarian but we absolutely needed some sort of heavy handed techniques to stamp down on the virus. I believe the UK is just after implementing fines of up to 10,000 euro for people caught breaking the isolation guidelines. That's what we needed here. The threat alone of fines would have been sufficient for more people to follow the guidelines and think beyond themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

seamus wrote: »
    314 positive swabs out of 12520 swabs. 2.51% positivity

Still looking stable

Probably ~ 250-300 cases announced today.

@bb1234567 with be along shortly providing links on the possibility of us having a gaping hole between swab tests and cases reported..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Vaccine late by 2 weeks as well
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/delivery-of-flu-vaccines-to-ireland-delayed-by-two-weeks-says-hse-1.4339590

The delivery of the State’s supply of flu vaccines has been delayed by two weeks due to the impact of Covid-19, medical professionals have been told.

In a communication sent on Wednesday to GPs and pharmacists, the Health Service Executive wrote that drug manufacturer Sanofi, which is making the vaccine, has “informed us that the release of this season’s flu vaccine will be delayed by two weeks”.

“This is an administrative delay due to the impact of Covid-19,” the HSE wrote, and not a production or quality issue. Ireland will receive stock from the first released batches, the HSE said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I'm not in favour of complee totalitarian but we absolutely needed some sort of heavy handed techniques to stamp down on the virus. I believe the UK is just after implementing fines of up to 10,000 euro for people caught breaking the isolation guidelines. That's what we needed here. The threat alone of fines would have been sufficient for more people to follow the guidelines and think beyond themselves.

Aren't you the lad/woman giving out about people wearing skimpy dresses the other day.
    I'd say very few want the regime you would like to bring in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sounds like the Gleneagle broke restrictions.

If they did, should be hammered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

robbiezero wrote: »
    Aren't you the lad/woman giving out about people wearing skimpy dresses the other day.

I was more disgusted by what she called them, the length of their dress was a minor thing. I believe a Mod sniped the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

There is a massive massive difference between the regime in China and the government in the UK.

And even then, there is quite a large difference between the social structure in Ireland and the social structure in the UK. Much as you might hear a lot of negative commentary online and in the UK media on how the British government has handled the covid crisis, British people are generally less questioning of government powers. I remember doing a comparator on how certain European laws had been implemented in Ireland and the UK, and what reaction there was from the public on them. Despite the fact that some of the laws in the UK were more onerous and less fair, we had vastly more judicial reviews taken by the public on our own, similarly drafted, laws. I can't pinpoint the exact reason, either British people are more conditioned to accept that laws will be imposed on them, through the centuries old hangover of the class system, or their government is simply generally better at making decisions and British people trust them more. I suspect it is the former.

Whereas we, rightly or wrongly, will sue everyone - including government - at the drop of a hat. We have no baseline trust of our government to speak of. That is probably why more draconian laws would actually be counterproductive here rather than of assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Lol. Does anyone belive that China really only had that many deaths? Come off it.

There is documentary made a the height of it in Wuhan by either an American or British journalist that was living there at the time.

It was broadcast by the BBC I think, probably on youtube.

It was fairly dystopian.

Temp checks on the street, anyone approaching 38 degree was bundled into the back of a van and taken to quarantine.

Guards at the entrance to all apartment blocks, no one allowed in our out unless they had permission slips.

Arrested if you didn't wear a mask, you had to scan your mobile phone if you entered or left a building.

So do I think believe China's numbers, no, do I think they have been greatly underestimated and they have in fact had 100,000s or even millions of deaths like has been suggested, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Beasty wrote: »
    Well that was quick - the old thread snuck up to 10,000 posts in not much more than 12 days - figures we've not seen since April.

It's doubling every 12-14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

robbiezero wrote: »

Yeah disgusting comment in fairness

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Another big jump in UK cases. 6,178 in the past 24 hours.

They've also announced that the budget has been cancelled.

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1308787150859784192

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1308787742898257922

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

spookwoman wrote: »
    Vaccine late by 2 weeks as well
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/delivery-of-flu-vaccines-to-ireland-delayed-by-two-weeks-says-hse-1.4339590

The delivery of the State’s supply of flu vaccines has been delayed by two weeks due to the impact of Covid-19, medical professionals have been told.

In a communication sent on Wednesday to GPs and pharmacists, the Health Service Executive wrote that drug manufacturer Sanofi, which is making the vaccine, has “informed us that the release of this season’s flu vaccine will be delayed by two weeks”.

“This is an administrative delay due to the impact of Covid-19,” the HSE wrote, and not a production or quality issue. Ireland
    will receive stock from the first released batches, the HSE said.

I thought Boots were already giving out the flu jab

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

My GP didn't have the flu vaccine last week.

He mentioned a website I could check for availability, but I can't remember it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

ax530 wrote: »
    dissapointing that the 14-day Incidence Rate per 100,000 Population by Local Electoral Area (LEA) is not being updated on the data hub, it is still showing numbers from 1st to 14th
    was there any info given as to how often this would be updated ?
    would be interested to know if case numbers are growing in my area

It says there under "info":
    The map will be updated each week with data for the most recent 14-day period. Therefore, each week there will be an overlap of 7 days in the period included in the previous week’s data.

So next update by this weekend, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Boggles wrote: »
    There is documentary made a the height of it in Wuhan by either an American or British journalist that was living there at the time.

It was broadcast by the BBC I think, probably on youtube.

It was fairly dystopian.

Temp checks on the street, anyone approaching 38 degree was bundled into the back of a van and taken to quarantine.

Guards at the entrance to all apartment blocks, no one allowed in our out unless they had permission slips.

Arrested if you didn't wear a mask, you had to scan your mobile phone if you entered or left a building.

So do I think believe China's numbers, no, do I think they have been greatly underestimated and they have in fact had 100,000s or even millions of deaths like has been suggested, no.

3 months of a strict lockdown for 6 months plus the foreseeable future of every thing back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought Boots were already giving out the flu jab
    I got a call yesterday from Boots asking me to bring my appointment forward a week to next Monday as they have the flu vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

For the craic

it illustrates a point I was making earlier, but I don't think anyone cares so this is pure self-indulgence

527194.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement