Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Neyite wrote: »
    It's absolutely boiled me as well. We've been told that when the cold weather comes, schools will keep their windows open to circulate fresh air and to send our kids in with appropriate winter attire. ...um..?!

And what really pisses me off is that by closing the likes of Dunnes and Pennys, it's hitting the people who have it hardest already, even harder. Not everyone can shop online and buy two jackets in Next to find out which one fits their child. Some only have a Penny's or Dunnes budget and are already struggling on the PUP having lost their jobs months ago.
    You'd know that the lads making the decision to close textile retail have never had a few kids to kit out on a meagre income. :rolleyes:

Well, at least it's not as if they'd ever consider putting a tax on children's shoes....

Oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Costa Coffee Christmas drinks arriving 3rd November

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

New Home wrote: »
    Well, at least it's not as if they'd ever consider putting a tax on children's shoes....

Oh, wait...
    This is turning into a real life Christmas Shoes, except in this version the child is turned away because he didn't order the shoes for his dying mother on Click and Collect first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kanye Wesht

My local Dunnes has the clothes part open? I'd wonder if the guards even have power to shut down retailers selling "non-essential" items, or are they intimidating store managers who don't know better. Either way its utter bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Posy wrote: »
    This is turning into a real life Christmas Shoes, except in this version the child is turned away because he didn't order the shoes for his dying mother on Click and Collect first.

That really makes me LOL. :pac: Maybe a Boardsie choir could record it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I was in home savers Tuesday evening and they were selling everything Christmas decorations, toys, clothes you name it. It was brilliant :-)
    Back in march we all agreed let's close everything let's be safe we more or less all agreed, I think the majority is now changing and most people now realise locking everyone and everything up is not going to work and people rightly or wrongly are starting to ignore guidelines. Telling family not to mix at Christmas is going to be ignored if not being ignored already.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The supermarkets should attach a small item of food or another essential item onto non essential items making them essential.
    A Christmas tree could come with a mince pie!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The supermarkets should attach a small item of food or another essential item onto non essential items making them essential.

Like that picture of a food/drink stand at a festival, they weren't allowed to sell water bottles, so they had a sign that read "One napkin €2, comes with free bottle of water" (or something to that effect). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Lidl will be posting here the details of what is on sale and what is not

https://www.lidl.ie/information/product-updates

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Just back from Lidl,while some middle stuff has been moved, a lot hasn't.

Anyone for a candle , diffuser, mens or ladies gift sets, car stuff and laundry stuff...that was a still there.

Cheese advent calendars too.....picked one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’ve been in both. Lidl had a bit of non essential stuff that they shouldn’t have had.
    Aldi was a lot stricter. There had loads of crisps, coke cans,etc instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭gidget

Costa Coffee Christmas drinks arriving 3rd November

Yes saw that! Terry's Chocolate Orange Hot Chocolate - YES PLEASE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

gidget wrote: »
    Yes saw that! Terry's Chocolate Orange Hot Chocolate - YES PLEASE :)

Oh now that sounds yum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

If a guard asks tell them the tree is a garnish :)

A workmate who is working from home has just put up on her Instagram a picture of her Christmas tree.

She wrote "F*** Covid , need to cheer myself up!"

Don't know about you guys but that's the first tree of the season I've seen, I told her she'll need to dust it by the time Christmas Eve comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Cork Lass wrote: »
    That really makes me LOL. :pac: Maybe a Boardsie choir could record it.
    Someone do up lyrics and I’ll sing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Its the last work day of October.:eek:
    I had some bad new this week (boyfriend broke up with me) so I'm going to watch some scary films this weekend but come Sunday I'm into the festive feeling with my movie viewing.
    So glad there's a lot of new content coming out on netflix for it this year.
    Plus as I have the now ex's christmas present which included a big lego set I might make that myself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Sorry to hear that Aisling, hopefully its not too upsetting, and we've all been there so know what its like.

Cant believe it'll be November on Sunday, official adverts launch day and in the month of Christmas FM... October has gone so fast despite the state of the world at the moment. Normally I'd be doing my best to hold off the Christmas spirit (outwardly anyway) but this year am absolutely bursting at the seams to get into the thick if it. We spent the best part of €300 in the range on decorations this week and cant wait to put them up 4 weeks from today.
    We picked up some sweet treats for the nephews too and will pick up the booze gifts today, so other than cash gifts we're close to being done. The big gaping hole is what to get the Mrs... normally she sees stuff in the shops she likes and I pay for them that can't happen now for obvious reasons so I'm a little big snookered.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Same as yourself DVB, I'm bursting to get the season going too.

I couldn't believe it last night when the wife said she was thinking of putting up the decorations next week but she says she'll wait a few more weeks. She says she's sick of the lockdown and wants to brighten and cheer up the place.

I thought I was the Christmas nut in the house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    The big gaping hole is what to get the Mrs... normally she sees stuff in the shops she likes and I pay for them that can't happen now for obvious reasons so I'm a little big snookered.

I'm usually the same so have agreed with OH that one evening, she can sit down on her own with a glass of wine, the ipad and my CC and can have at it! :eek:
    I thought I was the Christmas nut in the house!

It's the quiet one's you have to watch :)

Agree though lads, having the halloween decorations up and spending so much time at the home has really made it feel Christmassy and made the longing worse! We have a few things planned with the kids for tomorrow to make up them not being able to go trick or treating. Will have a quiet one Sunday, decorations down Monday/Tuesday and then the dam will open and will be full on Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Wash your socks for Christmas- the covid remix

So let’s wash our socks for Christmas
    And sing a Christmas song yoho!
    because shops they won’t sell them unless covid it is gone
    We can purchase plates of pudding, turkey legs and bowls of jelly
    And we’ll fill our socks with lots of gifts
    But not till covid’s steady!

I’m really showing my age now

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's gas the way covid has made all the grinchs come over to the dark side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Brown Thomas launched their Christmas Window on Grafton Street yesterday evening.

What does everyone think of it?

https://lovindublin.com/dublin/watch-brown-thomas-has-revealed-their-festive-window-display-and-its-as-beaut-as-ever

I passed by it in person this morning and am a little underwhelmed if I'm honest. I think it pales in comparison to last years effort which was outstanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭pigtail33

screamer wrote: »
    Wash your socks for Christmas- the covid remix

So let’s wash our socks for Christmas
    And sing a Christmas song yoho!
    because shops they won’t sell them unless covid it is gone
    We can purchase plates of pudding, turkey legs and bowls of jelly
    And we’ll fill our socks with lots of gifts
    But not if they’re not ready!

I had (possibly still have) this single on vinyl! Good old Padjo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Brown Thomas launched their Christmas Window on Grafton Street yesterday evening.

What does everyone think of it?

https://lovindublin.com/dublin/watch-brown-thomas-has-revealed-their-festive-window-display-and-its-as-beaut-as-ever

I passed by it in person this morning and am a little underwhelmed if I'm honest. I think it pales in comparison to last years effort which was outstanding!

It just seems a bit miserable and bland to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

It just seems a bit miserable.

Sums up this year perfectly so :(

Just got an email from parcel motel. They're increasing the price of their lockers for November and December. I'm actually disgusted at them. I'm sure they've made a hefty profit during lockdown with online deliveries. Just a heads up for anyone using them over the festive period to order presents.

Sorry for the negative posts...it's just one of those days!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Just got our roster at work for covering emergencies at night. Got caught for Christmas Eve to Christmas morning two years ago but got away with it last year so was worried I'd get caught out this year. Turns out I'm on call the night of the 22nd and not again until the second week of January :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Started my shopping today!

Ordered my wreath and a load of stuff on Easons.ie. Trying my best to shop Irish as much as possible this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Patsy167

It just seems a bit miserable and bland to me.

When I passed first, I thought it was genuinely for Halloween, not very festive at all. All of the characters in the window have a haunted expression.

Advertisement