Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Lidl have just confirmed on Facebook.
    No toys, Christmas Decorations, non essential items will be sold!

Ah so not for sale at all. I asked in the other thread if it was this or if when on sale as in discounted.

I'd say they were coming under massive pressure. I wonder will the likes of Woodies follow suit??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Just seen Aldi too, imagine if that had happened in the Summer with all the garden furniture, I heard it was madness in the Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

TRS30 wrote: »
    Ah so not for sale at all. I asked in the other thread if it was this or if when on sale as in discounted.

I'd say they were coming under massive pressure. I wonder will the likes of Woodies follow suit??

I guess all the others have an online store too though, even The Range can Be ordered from the Uk site

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

matchthis wrote: »
    I guess all the others have an online store too though, even The Range can Be ordered from the Uk site

Has anyone ordered for collection here from the Range, it says you will pay the EUR price instore (website only shows GBP), anyone know if their exchange rates are fair?

Someone posted somewhere that they were interested in little prelit trees, while these are not available just yet on the below link, I imagine it will be updated soon :)

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/christmas-trees/pre-lit-christmas-tree-with-hessian-base/067598.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Lidl have just confirmed on Facebook.
    No toys, Christmas Decorations, non essential items will be sold!

Ah covid, the grinch that keeps on taking..... Happy Grinchmas everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,856 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Congratulations Sarahlil and Screamer, exciting times ahead , enjoy every moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

matchthis wrote: »

The range is still open, was over in the Liffey valley one this evening - they are selling everything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭DvB

kitten_k wrote: »
    The range is still open, was over in the Liffey valley one this evening - they are selling everything

Tell me about it. Was back there today and spent another €140... including one of those dancing moose'... the wife just had to have it as we have a few moose decorations collected over the last few years. We were amazed they were open all areas as usual.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

kitten_k wrote: »
    So have Aldi

Not to be selfish or anything but I wonder do Advent Calendars count as non essential items. I was hoping to go on Sunday and get one of the processco ones :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

kopite386 wrote: »
    Not to be selfish or anything but I wonder do Advent Calendars count as non essential items. I was hoping to go on Sunday and get one of the processco ones :D

The wooden ones would be gone but you might have a chance with the Processco ones!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

kopite386 wrote: »

Nothing selfish about it. Valid question. I'd say they'll be for sale as alcohol and food products are for sale.

Do you know I've been very very diplomatic and good humoured with all the restrictions. But I heard that the Gardai went into every Tesco superstore in the country to ensure the clothing sections were closed and I'm seeing red.

Can somebody explain to me why chocolate and beer are essential but buying socks and a hat for my two year old isn't?

Don't get me wrong. Everyone's entitled to their chocolate and beer.

But this is absolute BS of the highest order. Closing the non essential aisles etc is the stupidest most pointless thing I've ever heard. It certainly won't make any difference to the pandemic numbers. Nonsense!!!

Apologies for the rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nothing selfish about it. Valid question. I'd say they'll be for sale as alcohol and food products are for sale.

Do you know I've been very very diplomatic and good humoured with all the restrictions. But I heard that the Gardai went into every Tesco superstore in the country to ensure the clothing sections were closed and I'm seeing red.

Can somebody explain to me why chocolate and beer are essential but buying socks and a hat for my two year old isn't?

But this is absolute BS of the highest order. Closing the non essential aisles etc is the stupidest most pointless thing I've ever heard. It certainly won't make any difference to the pandemic numbers. Nonsense!!!

Apologies for the rant!

I went into Dunnes today. All the clothing section was closed off but the homeware section was open. Francis Brennan sheets, Paul Costello candles etc all available to buy but kids clothes - I was looking for a present for a child - not for sale. Batsh1t crazy, I’d love to know who is making these decisions. It really is becoming a winter of discontent and I wonder how much more people can take.

I agree with you both. It’s the time of year we’d be stocking up on warm jackets, scarves, hats, gloves and footwear. Being honest, it’s late coming in this year and supply not great. I’d class essential as anything that you need to survive, and I’d add winter clothes to that. I also think probably because my little baby is due soon, imagine someone ending up in hospital unexpectedly, family can’t even go and buy them a new pjs. It’s madness of the highest order.

And the government wonder why they're losing the confidence and compliance of the people... its the utter nonsensical application of restrictions with no joined up thinking visible, thats why. Try explaining clearly to us all the strategy rather than be seen to be punitive and you might just get more folk onside.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

DvB wrote: »
    And the government wonder why they're losing the confidence and compliance of the people... its the utter nonsensical application of restrictions with no joined up thinking visible, thats why. Try explaining clearly to us all the strategy rather than be seen to be punitive and you might just get more folk onside.

Apparently it for fairness to stores that have to close like like penny's etc, but it makes no sense as people will just spend their money outside the country now instead using Amazon etc

screamer wrote: »
    I agree with you both. It’s the time of year we’d be stocking up on warm jackets, scarves, hats, gloves and footwear. Being honest, it’s late coming in this year and supply not great. I’d class essential as anything that you need to survive, and I’d add winter clothes to that. I also think probably because my little baby is due soon, imagine someone ending up in hospital unexpectedly, family can’t even go and buy them a new pjs. It’s madness of the highest order.

I think who ever came up with these restrictions has a wife or mother who buys all their clothes and their kids clothes with the odd exception of going to buy a suit.
    Then with Christmas everything just appears in front of them on the 24h of December.

Apparently it for fairness to stores that have to close like like penny's etc, but it makes no sense as people will just spend their money outside the country now instead using Amazon etc

Agree.

And just as they get case numbers (that being the current number of choice to scaremonger) down they'll open all the shops for a few million people to go shopping for Christmas in a 3 week period... what's gonna happen then? Have they an agreement with covid to f**k off for a few weeks? Its a joke of a plan IMO. Throw in the tracing collapse, lack of increased capacity in the hospitals despite billions being spent and the curve bring flattened and then mess about with sending the garda into shops and they wonder why people have given up... I have my own personal reasons for being angry at how this is being handled but even if I didn't id be struggling to see the point given the mess its descended into.

Agree.

And just as they get case numbers (that being the current number of choice to scaremonger) down they'll open all the shops for a few million people to go shopping for Christmas in a 3 week period... what's gonna happen then? Have they an agreement with covid to f**k off for a few weeks? Its a joke of a plan IMO. Throw in the tracing collapse, lack of increased capacity in the hospitals despite billions being spent and the curve bring flattened and then mess about with sending the garda into shops and they wonder why people have given up... I have my own personal reasons for being angry at how this is being handled but even if I didn't id be struggling to see the point given the mess its descended into.

Absolutely. I certainly won’t be rushing to the shops if they are open December 1st.

screamer wrote: »
    Absolutely. I certainly won’t be rushing to the shops if they are open December 1st.

Me neither. I’m a fairly organised person so had a lot of what I needed well before lockdown. The thought of going into a shop in December is scary - crowds, queues, stressed people - who needs that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Is it definitely Sunday for the wine and/or prosecco calendar as can't see a date anywhere (apart from the previews that don't mention a date).

Aldi app not showing anything for this Sunday (they probably just took everything off the site).

Booze can only be sold from noon on a Sunday right?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think it is 12.30pm on Sundays, Sheep. :)
    Have they an agreement with covid to f**k off for a few weeks? Its a joke of a plan IMO. Throw in the tracing collapse, lack of increased capacity in the hospitals despite billions being spent and the curve bring flattened and then mess about with sending the garda into shops and they wonder why people have given up...
    Yep, that is the exact agreement.
    We go back on the 1st December to having a crumbling healthcare system, stretched to capacity, and a tracing app that contacts people at best about 10 days after they have had a close contact. We will still have one of the lowest ICU bed numbers in Europe in December.
    And let's not mention that the children's hospital is the guts of a billion euro over budget- a paltry amount like that wouldn't have done anybody any good elsewhere.

As long as you can't buy a pair of gloves in Tesco, it's all going to be grand lads. :pac:

Does anybody sort of feel the shops are trying to play tough with this to make the government look bad in a way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Does anyone know if woodies are still selling Xmas trees in store?? I seen one a few weeks ago but they don't have it online..

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if woodies are still selling Xmas trees in store?? I seen one a few weeks ago but they don't have it online..

I think that under the new regulations the in store sale of Christmas trees can only take place on the sixth Wednesday after the seventh Thursday of each month and then only between 3.00 am and 3.01 am. Good luck. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Just on the issue of kids clothes, I thought the whole reason they were VAT exempt was because they are classed as essential items!

At least we're not at the stage of the UK and threatening to have the police come round and break up Christmas Day dinners if there is more people there then should be!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Apologies for the rant!

It's absolutely boiled me as well. We've been told that when the cold weather comes, schools will keep their windows open to circulate fresh air and to send our kids in with appropriate winter attire. ...um..?!

And what really pisses me off is that by closing the likes of Dunnes and Pennys, it's hitting the people who have it hardest already, even harder. Not everyone can shop online and buy two jackets in Next to find out which one fits their child. Some only have a Penny's or Dunnes budget and are already struggling on the PUP having lost their jobs months ago.
    You'd know that the lads making the decision to close textile retail have never had a few kids to kit out on a meagre income. :rolleyes:

I had dreams last that Dr Tony was the Grinch and he was trying to steal Christmas!

Does anybody sort of feel the shops are trying to play tough with this to make the government look bad in a way!

I think it’s more a case that the dog can’t eat hay, so the cow gets none either. The retailers have lost now anyways, no one is going to gamble on a reopening in December 1st and the stress of hoping things might be available then. People are ordering online now as the delivery times are pushed out further every week, and that money will not come back into our economy, much less our local towns.

• Advertisement

Mother popcorn was in Lidl and he said they still had Christmas style candles on sale!

Advertisement