Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭hometruths

Browsed in here because I as starting to get a bit worried about a Covid Christmas!

Surprised to see not much talk of disruption, which is great positivity! But wondered is it a forum rule?! I.e is it too bah humbug to talk about any disruption?

Have already bought the kids presents, so that is a relief, but am worried about family not being able to travel from UK.

I guess Christmas Eve family lunch in a restaurant and pints after Will be out. Will probably order a real tree to be delivered, which is better than nothing, but will miss the fun of going to choose it with my eldest daughter.

Anybody else feeling a bit worried about anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

schmittel wrote: »
    Browsed in here because I as starting to get a bit worried about a Covid Christmas!

Surprised to see not much talk of disruption, which is great positivity! But wondered is it a forum rule?! I.e is it too bah humbug to talk about any disruption?

Have already bought the kids presents, so that is a relief, but am worried about family not being able to travel from UK.

I guess Christmas Eve family lunch in a restaurant and pints after Will be out. Will probably order a real tree to be delivered, which is better than nothing, but will miss the fun of going to choose it with my eldest daughter.

Ack my brother not coming home for Xmas is now looking very likely. He's a teacher in France and always comes home at Xmas with an full rota of meeting up with friends and family. I worry about how he's gonna deal with not getting home and what he will actually do on Xmas day. I've ordered him the same Xmas jammies that we will have here and he's planning to be on zoom for the day. It won't be the same,but we will try to make the most of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There’s no rule here about not talking about COVID. the general rule of thumb is if you love Christmas and talking about it in March you’re most likely going to see the positives in life haha.

I wouldn’t say I’m worried I think it’s going to be very different like a good few of my family normally go for a Chinese on Christmas Eve but I think that this year that will be a takeaway between 4 of us one household.

I tend to self isolate most of Christmas with family, books, tv and chocolate so that won’t change this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Boxes of Hunky Dorys, Tayto Cheese and Onion, Tayto Variety box And King!
    122162253_2779175195738417_7433763408519324170_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=E9-k4FFm41EAX_TPpi4&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=96d44b73262fedaf6804e78e1814b25e&oe=5FBCE856

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Woohoo boxes of crisps have arrived

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Can't wait to see the coke ad... Eeekkkkkkk

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm looking forward to the opportunity to spend Christmas as home with just my husband for the first time ever. I feel sad for my elderly in-laws because it will be pretty quiet for them but I've wanted a cosy Christmas at home for years so I'm fully embracing it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    I would love one for my office so I’m interested too.
    I just have a little 2 Euro shop tree on my desk at work. Does the trick! :)
    This time next week it will be November and we'll be waiting for the first Christmas ad!
    Lashes28 wrote: »
    Can't wait to see the coke ad... Eeekkkkkkk
    YES- the Coke ad! No matter what is happening right now, the Coke ad will inevitably make me squeee with excitement! :D:D
    But wondered is it a forum rule?! I.e is it too bah humbug to talk about any disruption?
    Like Loughc said, no rules- but we are a pretty upbeat bunch here. We have had plenty of discussion about disruptions, Level 5 restrictions, Christmas lock-downs and so on though.
    To be fair, there is so much doom and gloom elsewhere on Boards, on social media, news reports etc... that we try and keep things light and bright in our little corner of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I picked up the Lidl catalogue for next week's nd have spent the afternoon drooling at the contents. Not the drill sets or band saws but the salamis, cheeses, chutneys, beef wellingtons, ice creams, biscuits...

Actually, the bags of "seasonal spices" will be handy for my curries - cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise.

LED decorations on offer from Monday 2nd November
    Christmas trains
    Christmas garlands
    Musical reindeers
    Yaaaay! :D

Not sure about the LED grave lights though!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Heroditas wrote: »
    I picked up the Lidl catalogue for next week's nd have spent the afternoon drooling at the contents. Not the drill sets or band saws but the salamis, cheeses, chutneys, beef wellingtons, ice creams, biscuits...

Actually, the bags of "seasonal spices" will be handy for my curries - cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise.

LED decorations on offer from Monday 2nd November
    Christmas trains
    Christmas garlands
    Musical reindeers
    Yaaaay! :D

Not sure about the LED grave lights though!

They should be bringing their festive food catalogues out soon....a bit like M&S only cheaper. Theirs will have dates in store etc though as unlike M&S you can't order and collect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They should be bringing their festive food catalogues out soon....a bit like M&S only cheaper. Theirs will have dates in store etc though as unlike M&S you can't order and collect.

We were tempted to buy some of the M&S food yesterday but decided against it in the end. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,980 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

this time 2 months it be all over

Lets hope lockdown works and we can have xmas pints and see our families over the holidays

PTH2009 wrote: »
    this time 2 months it be all over

Lets hope lockdown works and we can have xmas pints and see our families over the holidays

You’d probably have dinner with your family. Personally I think lots of people would break it if they did try and stop it especially with the system they’ve in place now.
    I doubt you’d see your Christmas pints tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,980 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You’d probably have dinner with your family. Personally I think lots of people would break it if they did try and stop it especially with the system they’ve in place now.
    I doubt you’d see your Christmas pints tough.

Think the government need to sort something out, Imagine what a level 5 lockdown at Christmas would do for mental health

Yeah not too confident about xmas pints, maybe if we go back to level 3 and a group can book a local hotel and have a few then (L3 was residents allowed dine/drink in the hotel bar)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Boxes of Hunky Dorys, Tayto Cheese and Onion, Tayto Variety box And King!
    122162253_2779175195738417_7433763408519324170_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=E9-k4FFm41EAX_TPpi4&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=96d44b73262fedaf6804e78e1814b25e&oe=5FBCE856

What shop was this?!

What shop was this?!

Spar. No, sign of them anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Timistry

Today was very Christmassy. Long lazy Sunday, fire on early, loads of food and nothing really on TV but managed to pass the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I was meant to be off work all last week, we went glamping which was really cool. Sadly work issues came up so spent a lot of time on Wednesday on the phone and had to cut the holiday short by working Thursday back at the office. Griping about not getting a holiday is pants though as with the lockdown at home many are really struggling keeping job.

I have had a lot of pressure in work which has dampened my usual festive pomp. I would usually have the Halloween decorations up but haven't bothered. My OH is adamant in relation to no Christmas movies, tunes etc. until Christmas fm launches. I could do with a movie or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

That sounds like a rollercoaster of a week, but hang in there. I’ve had the odd Christmas karaoke in the car going to/ from work. It’s a little distraction and looking forward to Edward scissor hands and the nightmare before Christmas which are sneaky Christmas movies at Halloween:D Make sure to finish that glamping holiday, they look like so much fun

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Jude that sounds like a pain in the ass week.. nothing worse than looking forward to a holiday and time off for it to be ruined especially by work. Grip away, everything is relative.. you work hard by the sounds of it so tine to play is needed.

Agree with Matchthis those films are what I call transitional films.. not quite Christmas ones but definitely get the cheer up inside..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

The Range.

Tenth time lucky posting these!

IMG-20201023-163251944.jpg

IMG-20201023-163250101.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Mmmm the 5km rule does apply to all kinds of shopping does it? Lol

Is the range fully open (xmas stuff?)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Timistry wrote: »
    Today was very Christmassy. Long lazy Sunday, fire on early, loads of food and nothing really on TV but managed to pass the day!

Completely agree. It definitely felt very Christmassy yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Loughc wrote: »
    Completely agree. It definitely felt very Christmassy yesterday.

Same here. Was off Friday, so Fri felt like a Sat, Sat felt like a Sunday and Sunday like one of those lovely days off between Christmas and New Year !

No Bank Holiday for me today;

Enjoy, Irish Elves !

pigtail33 wrote: »
    The BBC Good Food Website has announced all the winners of the Christmas Taste Awards 2020

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/bbc-good-food-christmas-taste-awards-2020

Thanks !

And now Good Housekeeping UK has announced theirs
    https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/christmas/a29385528/best-christmas-food-drink-test/

Costa won the mince pies category and M&S got the gong for pudding

On 7 and 8 Nov, Country Living will be running videos on various Christmas crafts/decorating and also on cooking with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/news/a32251339/celebrate-at-home-with-country-living-virtual-event/

christmas-full-large-1603368485.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Mmmm the 5km rule does apply to all kinds of shopping does it? Lol

Is the range fully open (xmas stuff?)

My local one is fully open.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

How to decorate a Zoom corner. :D Love it. My WFH desk is where the tree will be so I'll have to move and I'll definitely be creating a little grotto for myself.

What masterclass does everyone need this year? Mine would be 'how to lay a festive kitchen island for 2 and where to hide the inevitable chaos from cooking so it doesn't feel like you're eating Christmas dinner with the washing up.' A little niche I think. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Home savers have lots of 2ft prelit Xmas trees for those looking for trees for their desks / offices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

My local one is fully open.

Which one is that?

Advertisement