Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ted Lasso [Apple]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What dodgy stuff is Nate at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah I felt the episode dragged. I actually thought I’d missed an episode when they mentioned Nate had left West Ham. It just seems there’s too much going on and it’s way too spaced out but, at the same time they don’t go into enough depth. I did love the Roy and his niece scenes.

It feels like that from a writing perspective they were at P but have 3 episodes to get to Z so they’re just throwing it all in. The show feels disjointed as a result.

Wife and I went back to the menu to make sure we hadn't missed an episode.

I kinda hoped that Roy and Ruth Bradley's teacher character would get together.

Same. I’m not really sure what the point of the teacher is/was now. I thought it was headed towards them getting together or at least a fling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I was expecting that that too because they seem like a good match in personality but I then that would make it less funny than Roy and Keeley who are very much opposites.

• Advertisement

I honestly see Jamie and Keeley as a better match, at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That was a LONG episode. Felt bloated.

And far too many stories going on, too many sad and emotional bits.

And what is it with Nates hair, so unrealistic.

Is that the final episode?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Felt this season was a bit flat. A lot of bottle episode stories that felt simultaneously pointless but did work for some character growth... just disconnected from the main plots. Wasn't as funny as previous seasons and a good few of the meaty emotional bits that season 1 and 2 were so good at felt a bit forced, as though it was trying to out-emote what had come before. I also felt Ted was a backseat character for much of the season. I found the resolution to Nate's arc incredibly rushed in the end with the off screen resignation. While the scenes at the house were sweet, the whole violin bit was too forced. Aesthecticaly wonderful, combined with Rebecca's speech but it just felt so random and like I was being manipulated into feeling "oh he can play a sad song on the violin, he's redeemed". Similarly Keely and Roy getting back to together just felt meh.... started the season broken up off screen because "vague reasons"... didn't do much... season was ending so they got back together.

Despite the above, there was lots of good stuff though. This was Rebecca's season. Every scene she was in was gold. Jamie and Roy were also gold together. Colin's arc was well played (though the captain being all upset was overplayed and obvious). Keeley had a decent season too. While the breakup with Roy felt pointless, it did free her up to go down the road she did.

Very mixed season overall. Hard to say if it's best off leaving it at that with some of the threads left up to the audience to decide how they played out (do Nate and Ted reconcile, do Rebecca and Ted get together), or go another season and hope it goes back to season 1 and 2 glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Oh right... thought it was 10 episodes and that really felt like a season ender. Ok... hope it goes out with a bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Fairly meh again.

Does a club manager really announce who is on international duty that way? Wouldn't have thought so.

I really liked how the Nate story played out last week - so it's disappointing to see him reduced to a mopey teenager for most of this episode. Also don't understand what they're doing with Rupert, painting him as a big evil, but then humanising him, and then having him making weird advances at Rebecca? All just weird, especially with Nate's departure not being shown.

Roy and Keely? Could take it or leave it, but feel like Jamie and Keely is a more interesting match because of how they've grown over three seasons.

Rebecca is great to watch. Always entertaining, but I do struggle to summarise what's actually going on with her this season. Between the psychic, her seat at the big boys table (all old white men) regarding the Super League, and her romance with the Dutch lad. It's all just a bit disconnected.

Also, anyone remember Ted? He was in the first two seasons and had some good storylines. Must have been scheduling conflicts this time around.

Forgot about the Dutch lad. So what was the point of that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

They wanted to give Rebecca a romance story and had no viable options within the existing cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,919 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I think there is no doubt that this is the final season now with how the episode ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Very good episode this week all things considered. Beard and Nate's scene was terrific, as was Ted & his mother. The Jamie stuff was good, but would have been better if they'd done it a few episodes ago instead of some of the other superfluous stories they did, as it was another long episode this week.

So for the finale, we still have a lot to get through. Roy & Keeley, Trent's book or whatever he's doing, does Colin publicly come out, Nate's return, Rupert's comeuppance or whatever Becs and the other woman showing up to Rebecca's house was about, Rebecca's psychic's predictions, Van Damme possibly (they've given him a lot of attention for someone who is just 'there'), Ted presumably leaving, what will Beard do....

Man, next week's episode is going to be longer than The Irishman....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

How does a show with bloated run time episodes still feel rushed towards the end goal?

The road to the finale feels so rushed as did Nate’s redemption arc. Goes from West Ham manager to Richmond coach in 2 episodes. The entire team forgives him that easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,919 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I think them forgiving him so easily is down to the culture Ted has created in the team. They forgave Jamie for leaving for Man City after a while, they also probably think something bad happened to Nate

Given that Higgins was reporting to Ted about it, I'm presuming Ted had already spoken to the team about welcoming Nate back and had arranged for them to approach Nate about it. But then Beard seemed so vehemently against it that it seemed odd it hadn't already been agreed with them beforehand.

Another case where a scene about that would have been far more beneficial than Van Damme changing his name, or the team not being able to decide what to do in Holland, or Rebecca with the guy who was never mentioned again in Holland, or Higgins and yer man going to the jazz club in Holland (pretty much the entire Holland episode bar Roy learning to ride a bike), or probably half the other stuff that happened this season that just didn't need to happen.

Edit: I just remembered about Zarla or whatever his name was. So much time spent on it, and meant absolutely nothing. Important scenes about Nate for the entire season just skipped over.

Post edited by Penn on

Ted didn’t know anything about the team discussing Nate or that Nate was now a waiter. He found out they wanted him back when Higgins told him in the office.

I hope Georgie and Simon come back if the story continues in a different series as that talk with Dotty and the final scene make it clear we are in the final episodes now.

I like the positivity of the show but regardless of whatever illness or health issue Jamie’s father now has it is a bit hard to believe his brief scene. I don’t think they should have shown him or his buddies - Jamie has stopped carrying that burden and it would have meant more for us to be as unaware as he is what has become of his father.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For whatever reason this week’s episode looked like absolute crap on my TV - like the wrong version had been uploaded. The colour correction would jump wildly from shot to shot - from dark and grubby one shot to bright and overlit the next. It was seriously distracting, and happened throughout the entire episode. I tried to change my HDR settings and same issue - there seems to be other people online having the same problem too.

What device do you have the TV app on and what time was it?

I have an AppleTV 4K and started watching around 9:30 pm and it was perfect

I meant to say in my previous post - the “extended footage” from the CCTV showing what Nate did after ripping the Believe poster makes sense for his character but feels like a last minute decision by the writers.

Also it means the few moments nasty spitting Nate this season make even less sense.

I'm pretty sure Jamie's father was in rehab, a sign of how he's changed from his last encounter with Jamie (there was a poster on the wall beside the TV that said "Progress, not Perfection"). The shot of his friends with whiskey flasks, but then a cut to him in rehab because he's trying to get better to mend his relationship with Jamie and his drinking was a big part of the problem. Something we likely won't see in the show but gives promise for the future.

Yeah I have to agree. Felt really last minute and a way to make Nate more sympathetic and in need of help. But it was overkill and really ruined the drama of what Nate did at the end of last season. Not to mention I'm pretty sure Nate & Ted's argument happened at half time, which means Nate hung around for about 50 minutes, then tore the sign, then the team came into the dressing room after winning. Doesn't really fit well. They could have done something like showing Nate breaking down after tearing up the sign to show how conflicted he was, how maybe he regretted what he'd done in the aftermath but felt there was no way back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched around 8.30pm last night on an LG CX.

Checked on my phone there out of curiosity and it seems fine. Whereas watching last night was a constant distraction because of the extreme lighting changes 🤷🏻‍♂️

My LG C1 has occasionally changed its own settings, possibly after software updates, where on stuff like Netflix or Disney+ it will start automatically adjusting the brightness of the screen. It may have changed from whatever Picture settings you previously had.

I changed the HDR settings out of curiosity and it was still causing the same issues. It almost had to be the source file - the colour correction was far too cleanly changing from shot to shot - but maybe limited to certain devices. Oh well!

Anyway, the episode itself was fine, just with the same issues as the whole season: obvious destinations, unconvincing or unearned paths there. It’s certainly quite remarkable that with episodes getting closer and closer to feature length every week, that somehow things still come across as rushed and underexplored.

The episodes are getting longer but the editing is more indulgent. Did we need 5 minutes of Roy-Ley following Jamie, the extended Nate under the table etc.

Previous seasons would have had them get the same message across in seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 37,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm guessing Ted's going back to the states at the end of the season with Nate taking over. Would that be a strong enough spin off ?

Still a bit puzzled by the writers regarding Nate and West Ham. Could easily wrote a few scenes showing him resign in person etc

• Advertisement

Richmond AFC should be the name of the spin off if any, they have such an ensemble cast that all need to shine.

Advertisement