Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ted Lasso [Apple]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,320 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I kinda hope it's done and dusted at the end of this season. As much as I really like most of the actors and characters, they're largely becoming quite repetitive and one-note, and manufacturing stories for some of them (breaking up Roy and Keeley for no good reason to get them back together).

It's looking like most of the characters story arcs have or will be completed by the end of the season. Nate found his self worth, Beard will likely stay at Richmond after Ted leaves because he's less dependent on Ted to be his "family", Jamie's arc is finished, Roy & Keeley probably back together, Ted will return to America having won the Premier League but to be with his son. Biggest unknown is probably Rebecca.

They've already started running out of steam this season and were probably trying to fit as much in as possible because they weren't planning on doing more. Better to end it at this stage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I've rewatched the scene between Beard and Nate a few times. As much as I didn't like the setup of it (the extended video of Nate hiding under the desk), the scene between the two of them is just majestic. Little sprinkles of comedy in it ("Stealing a loaf of meth"), the stoic and near motionless delivery from Beard but culminating in a single tear rolling down his cheek, and the hug which although it could feel like Beard was just forgiving Nate because it would be what Ted wanted, that hug was so genuine and really shows Beard's own affection for Nate. Add to that the fact we never got nor needed the backstory of Beard and Ted before, but is just placed so perfectly in the story here.

Such a terrific scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pep won't be giving up the day job for acting anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭squonk

Sorry but I find Nate to be poorly written. He’s grotesquely unbelievable, especially now. Aside from the intense shyness which wouldn’t have gotten him barely inside the door of a locker room, there’s the fact he’s ‘supposedly’ the boy genius of the premiership so when he quits he’s not instantly hounded by paps and more surprisingly, he hasn’t an agent or there aren’t clubs from anywhere hounding him tI join them. Then the Richmond lads show uP after he’s been pining for the place and once Beard gives the blessing, he’s back in. I know he’s been on a journey and grown, but come on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭JimboJones99

One thing that always amazes me about comments in this thread is the constant reference to the show not being believable. Its a show about an American Football College coach who ends up managing a Premier League club, whose kitman ends up being a tactical genius.

I think they set their stall out from the very beginning!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Had the exact same problem. Scenes going from bright to almost a grubby dark when the camera switched.

I'm also using an LG tv (c9) and noticed it a bit before on Apple shows but never this bad. The app updated last week so might be related. It also seems to have introduced ads before shows.

The ads before shows will make me cancel. I'm paying to not have ads.

I'm already about to hoist the Jolly Roger with Netflix and their crap, what's one more?

No ads for me on an Apple TV with the Apple One subscription but if they start that I’ll be very PO’d.

I should say that it's been an ad for one of their own TV shows and I could skip it but doesn't change the fact it's annoying.

• Advertisement

It's pure dipping the toes. They'll push further

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

Scene with ted and his mother brought a tear to my eye, really felt his pain. The bomb shell is obviously its his last season.

Who were the two women who called to Rebecca's house?

New Becks and the assistant Rupert was trying to crack on to. Rebecca threatened him about her

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

Thought as much, cheers. Will anything come out if that? Only thing i can see is ti further redeem Nate

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If it’s truly the last season I imagine it’s all leading to Rupert getting his comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭adaminho

It all feels very rushed this season but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. Loved Coach Beard's Roy Kent Fuuuuck!

I'm still holding out that we'll see the Nate vs Rupert flashback in the finale. I refuse to believe such a pivotal scene is entirely off screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,166 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Seems its not showing until 9pm Pacific time, so that'd be like 5am here

• Advertisement

And everything is wrapped up in a nice neat little bow. In typical lasso style it was all too sweet almost too perfect.

Definitely last episode there won’t be another season from how they wrapped it up anyway.

It’s funny for a show called Ted Lasso the last season couldn’t have been less about him. It truly was all about Richmond FC. I’ll miss the side characters more and I still feel they did Nate dirty but not showing him standing up to Rupert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

A great end to the series.

I thought they had messed it up by not having a big moment between Ted and Nathan in the first few minutes but the small moment with very little dialogue was perfect.

I half expected Ted’s ex and son to move to the U.K. and he continues on as coach but happily I’m not a writer.

This has to be one of the positive and uplifting shows ever and it never got cheesy or wishy washy. It even made me feel a tiny amount of sympathy for Rupert the **** weasel.

I saw in the closing credits that Keeley Hazel was staff writer. So did she had more input then just the video leak episode?

Charlotte Spencer and the muscled boyfriend were an odd cameo at the wedding.

Were they the ones from Beard's episode last season where he goes on the night out? I had to rewind it twice to try figure out who they were and that's all I could guess.

An okay finale. It accomplished what it needed to with some terrific scenes, but it was so built on shaky ground from the rest of the season that it didn't have the impact it could have. Splitting up Keeley and Roy, then throwing in that Jamie still wanted her back after Jamie and Roy became close friends (even though Jamie didn't seemed bothered after he and Keeley split up or throughout Season 2)... it served no purpose in the end. Rebecca ending up with the pilot she met once in Holland... why not Sam? Or something interesting? Just tacked on even though it didn't add to or evolve Rebecca's character in any way. And it was set up so perfectly for Nate to be the one to jump in and be the one to shame Rupert and make him leave after he attacked the other coach, but they just had shots of him adjusting water bottles as Rupert walked past. Trent's book also just became a case of... he released the book, it was less about Ted and more about the team, and it was fine.

Glad it's over. It had its moments but ran out of road. They released the season, it was less about Ted and more about the team, and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That's that for the series I suppose

Few minor annoyincies You'd think the 'mega fans' who are always in the pub would go to an actual match and the way Nate exited West Ham without even a scene showing it and how a manager who was going so well is now only a kit man again at a different club

You could see the 2nd half comeback coming a mile off and definitely a bit of an unrealistic outcome of a penalty. From a series finale point it was very good and wrapped things up well (not Six Feet Under levels of wrapping up). A bit confused about the very last shot of Ted

An innocent enough series what had a few cringe moments but done its job

As much as a 'Roy Kent Manager' spin off has potential I just can't see it happening

Did what it needed. Again I ended up wondering had I missed something from last episode now Ted was definitely leaving. I know that was the direction of travel but they just slipped some bits. Felt underwhelming abd a bit meh if I’m honest. Jamie & Keeley cafe a bit too sudden. I thought Nate was going to come up with sobering as a last minute play during the game but, no, Ted was using him as a prop sbd he’s back to being a minion again now. I really thought he’d be the new manager or at least an assistant role. Not sorry after it if I’m honest. They had some great characters and some good plots but they bungled any potential in the end.

Funny the mega fans not being at the game crossed my mind too, as well as the lady running the pub. Being less charitable I actually thought they seemed like perennial losers. Stuck in a boozer for every match, not once going to an actual live game even though they are on some personal terms with the coach.

BTW I’ve a feeling there’sa Roy Kent shoe coming. It’s Apple’s biggest hit so I can’t see them letting it die that easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,798 ✭✭✭✭Basq

AFC Richmond Women as likely as a Roy Kent spin-off. Reckon Brett has said goodbye to the character if I'm honest.

Solid enough finale, after a terrible season this year.

Happy enough to see it finish if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Yes, that was them. The big guy was the red head’s jealous boyfriend but I think he ended up saving Beard from Jamie’s father.

I wasn’t so much odd that they were at the wedding - what was odd that they were the last shot of the show in the U.K. before the last few minutes follows Ted back in Kansas.

The season was definitely not as good as the previous two - they had Nate at West Ham for too long, and then rushed the team forgiving him and asking him to come back - plus the reveal of the rest of CCTV footage should have been revealed to the audience in the first couple of episodes because he went from seeming very nasty in the final minutes to back to more like himself which made no sense unless you see the footage.

I didn’t understand how the sideline charades told the team what strategy to use in the final minutes of the game. I understood the strategy - just not how the actions were relevant.

However, it was great final episode. It wrapped everything up. I have no interest in a sequel series or spin off though. If Apple want more like this then maybe a new project from the same creatives.

• Advertisement

Actually yes, a women’s AFC Richmond shoe sounds just like what Apple would try. Not knocking women’s sport but more Apple when I say that what ruined much of the early Apple shows for me was that there was some message about equality and accepting everything shoehorned into shows or situations where it didn’t belong. It ruined some otherwise good shows because they spent more effort making some statement than actually having a good story to draw viewers in. I think Ted Lasso is the show where they finally got it right, final season notwithstanding.

That being said, I think they wrapped it up so well with a pretty bow this time I don’t want to go back.

Advertisement