Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ted Lasso [Apple]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There are certainly issues with the finale, and it's about as sentimental and sappy an ending as they come (I love Father & Son, but c'mon: it's basically a cheat code for this kind of thing). But it did at least come a bit closer to capturing the essence of early Ted Lasso than the rest of the series did.

That said, it still couldn't shake off some of the weird character choices made throughout season 3. I have no idea about what the writers thought they were doing with the Roy / Keeley arc this season, as they seemed to change their mind between each of the last couple of episodes in a way that felt confused rather than organic. And, post-first season, the show really struggled to figure out how to portray characters in the gap between 'nicest person in the world' and 'horrible asshole' - perhaps best exemplified by Nate's baffling route back to an inevitable destination.

Also, kind of felt wrong to show Beard's wedding without Ted there (at least that I could see amid the terrible CG Stonehenge)? I mean, I know he went home for good reasons... but he could come back for a few days for his bloody best friend's wedding 😂 Although the editing does sort of lazily give the show a 'this could be a dream!' get-out-of-jail-free card.

Anyway, you could definitely see them sowing the seeds of at least a few spinoffs here - whether it's just 'The Richmond Way' with most of the ensemble back, or more specific spin-offs. Whatever happens, I think it's a show that very much ran its course... arguably even a full season ago... and I can't say the prospect of more is appealing. It was a show that had its heyday as little more than a pleasant diversion during a weird time - it struggled to maintain that when the world was back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yes, definitely think this could be the spin off with cameos galore from the original series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Absolutely brilliant show and I loved every season!

Absolutely loved all the characters and really hope it goes on in a spin off series!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭adaminho

Just to think a tv advert turned into one of the best shows around! I wonder what else you could do? A murder mystery around Where's Grandad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Few observations.

1. I thought that it was the ending but then when Ted woke up on the plane I wondered could it have been interpreted as a dream sequence.
    2. I also thought that Nate should have been utilised better , either by giving some insights at half time on the West Ham team and potential weaknesses which could turn the game. Or at least playing a more intelligent part in the set piece.
    3. This could then have paved the path for Nate to get full redemption and take over as the manager post Ted.
    4. Finally I was a bit disappointed that they didn’t get the title. We all know that the show is a bit cringey/soppy, but why not have them winning the title? They did the nearly thing in the season where they very very nearly survived but ended up heartbroken with relegation.
    5. Maybe a smarter way could have been to not reveal whether Richmond had won the title or not (which I thought they were doing). It’s only disclosed in the conversation with the fan/Ed Sheeran wannabe. It would be a classic HBO ending (Soprano’s). Leave you guessing, but show that whether they did or didn’t win the title, life moved on. And everyone was essentially still happy and better for Teds impact at Richmond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree about Nate. I think the plan Ted enacted and used Nate to mime was actually one of Nate's first plans from the first season (or so I read elsewhere, can't really remember), but would have liked Nate to have some agency in that scene rather than being essentially a puppet for Ted. I took the shots of Nate with Beard and Roy hanging up the Believe sign to be a sign that Nate was back on the management team rather than kit man. I kind of agree Roy was probably the better choice for overall manager though. Nate is a tactician more than anything else, but I think Roy would be the better choice for the motivation and respect of the team alongside Beard, with Nate helping with tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

This happened a few times in this series, wondering if I'd missed some post-credit scene, because of a jump forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

Re Point 1, I thought there’d be bite to it too. It’s not that kind of show but when the place bumped I was hoping it was something a bit more dark like an air d regency where he figures out something about his life and completely changes or else the plane goes down and the guy who now has so much to line for and wants to get home at any cost never makes it. As was also said I think leaving the premiership title unresolved would have been good. It was kind of a Maguffin anyway and didn’t really matter. So either they win or we aren’t told.

Nate wanted recognition for his ideas. This one came naturally from Ted, without Nate butting in.

He was delighted that Ted remembered the play.

Even in that prop moment, Nate was back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

also Nick Mohammed response to Nate's Journey in Season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Really enjoyed the ending.

Only one gripe and i could see it as soon as mcadoos goal was given? Why did they go with the waiting on city's result when the long delay to repair the net meant the city game would have been well over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I caught that too. I presumed at the time they were doing it so the Man City game would finish first and Richmond would know the result in the last few minutes of the game, but I guess it wouldn't have made a difference considering City won anyway. Unless they were going to do something about how City won, but instead of just giving up, Richmond still pulled together to make sure they still won the match.

That said, they'd have been better off doing the McAdoo thing in the episode where he belted the free kick or corner or whatever in training. It served very little payoff here only to confuse things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

The penalty was a bit stupid alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 4 or would they have to spin it off as a new series now since Ted is back in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd say spin-off with wider scope (women's team) essentially

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

I thought the finale was extremely poor and the poorness of the finale casts some previously questionable decisions in a far worse light. Overall Season 3 was really bad, especially in light of some decisions made in the finale.

The entire KJPR storyline was a total waste of screen time, we didn't need to see Shandy or Jack, they were totally irrelevant to the overall story. Keeleys PR firm story was ultimately resolved in about 30 seconds by Rebecca going here is some money. Complete waste of time. And Zava too, the amount of important stuff we weren't shown while hours were devoted to Zava and KJPR, madness.

When you consider what we didn't see - Nate leaving West Ham and the conversation with Rupert, Ted telling the team he is leaving. Nate rejoining the club. Any of those moments deserved proper screen time instead of what we got. Proper screen time to flesh out how characters came to decisions, and how others reacted to them. How did Nate get from being uneasy at the pub with Rupert to leaving? How did the team decide that they wanted to welcome Nate back? Ridiculous how much happened off screen.

I thought Jamie telling Roy that Keeleys video was made for Jamie was a spectacular character regression, after a season of growth. In fact, I found it utterly bizarre that he was interested in Keeley again - the episode earlier in the season where he comforts Roy rather than pursue the potential with Keeley was telling me, he has moved on. He should have ended the series getting closer to Roys sister, it would have been far more in keeping with his development, and would have furthered the friendly banter between Roy and Jamie as Jamie would potentially be part of the family.

Ted had very little involvement and was mostly a bystander throughout Season 3. Nate's redemption was extremely haphazard, and very, very unconvincing. I'm still not sure what the point of Rebecca and the psychic was, as the matchbook seemed to reappear a couple of times and never led anywhere.

Everything was completely unfocused and whats more, there was some seriously cringeworthy sermons given over social issues such as that entire locker room scene over the nudes. A really poor season to finish on. Lets hope they leave it be now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Absolutely loved the show, particularly seasons 1 & 2. The scene in the dressing room after relegation in Season 1 was perfect IMO. Season 3 frustrated me for a lot of the reasons mentioned here but I still enjoyed it.

One thing to add, I know it's not a realistic show and the characters were caricatures to an extent, but did anyone else find Rupert overly pantomime villain towards the end. When he rushed to the touchline, long black coat looking like a cape and pushed the manager over, it was just missing the twiddly moustache and lightning and smoke. I roared laughing at it for all the wrong reasons.

Anyway, great show. Resisted it for years and watched it all over a week and a half. Thoroughly enjoyed it despite some massive flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭Glebee

Only a few episodes into Season 3, struggling with it if I'm honest, just don't get the Ted Lasso love, mediocre at best. Will try to push onto the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Theres a lot of good tv out there now to be persevering with season 3 of one ya dont like.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, it was a struggle.

I wasn't hugely complimentary of season 2 on first watch but it did have it's moments on a rewatch leading up to season 3.

But season 3 was downright dire..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hoping to have a walk around Richmond when I'm in London next month

Surprised Twickenham and Rugby wasn't mentioned in the series as Town/Stadium is only down the road

Few walking tours but not exactly cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I gave up after 4 episodes, kept looking here hoping it would improve.

Might get around to watching it some day

Something that bugs me a little is the portrayal of Nate having an office in London Stadium and the team training there

Surely is common knowledge that 100s of clubs have training facilities and would seldom do there day to day training/duties in there home Stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭archfi

Series 1 was great - the obnoxious sweetness was a plus in a weird way.

Series 2 - warning signs abound, the only character to maintain any laughs was Roy.

I haven't watched Series 3 and have no intention to.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Very happy with my travels today

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Richmond have a training place different to their stadium.

In a weird twist, the home dressing room for both is the same

It's TV so some liberties are taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Liberties? ha their base was AFC Richmond were a Premier League club they lived the lives of Sunday league lads

Haven't been in Richmond in some time very swanky for the most part most of the folk there follow Brentford and I guess Chelsea.

Think some of the stadium interior stuff in early seasons was Selhurst Park?

Advertisement