Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ted Lasso [Apple]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I spotted Keeley Hazell was listed as a writer on this week's episode. Surprised they're given her a while episode to get her story across

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭squonk

Not sure what you mean.

I’ve always found Ted Lasso kind of poor and a bit of background watching but I got off on the wrong foot with it I think. I did really like the latest episode from tge perspective where they turned Keeley into a real character. She started life as an annoying bit of fluff that wasn’t true to life but now she’s one of my favourite characters and the latest ep out it over the top. Good acting from whoever plays her and I really liked the depth to her story arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You are aware Keeley (Jones) is a character in the show, right..? Played by an actor Juno Temple.

Not to be confused with an actual person named Keeley Hazell who is a writer. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I don’t know what what he meant but I don’t think he was confused.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The show's in a pretty poor state this year for a plethora of reasons, but I think the central issue is it's a show that has lost the thread of several of its characters. It doesn't really feel like there's any consistency to their actions or motivations any more - they're being awkwardly slotted into the situations the writers have created rather than the situations being driven by the characters. Add to that the situations are rarely interesting - let alone funny - and you have a show that's fumbling around and losing its internal consistency. From episode to episode - and, at worst, from scene to scene - it all feels random and sort of mechanical. The main exception, other than shallow side characters or ones who don't have much to do, is Ted himself - but that's because the show's spending this season basically just regurgitating the character beats of the last season, presumably to simply buy time before ending up in the only logical place (Ted going back to the US).

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Advertisement

I guessing that what happened to Keeley in this episode happened to Keeley in real life or that it happened to someone close to her. I would be interested to know if she did some of the actual writing or was more of a consultant because it is a lot better than other stories dealing with leaks and privacy. She

I think though that the first statement made it obvious that the episode would end with Jack leaving in some way so it was a bit of a spoiler - it should have been more subtle but still been able to disturb Keeley - so that when Jack refers to Keeley as “friend” it would have been a surprise.

And poor old Ted couldn’t stay on the path that Rebecca advised to take and just focus on Henry.

I’ve seen a rumour that this will be the final season (came from a remark that the final episode is the “ natural end” of a story arc) but there is a lot going on and I can’t see how it will be all wrapped up.

I’m terrible at remembering names of supporting characters but I was surprised that the captain’s discovery of his friend being gay was left hanging like that. Since he revealed his worries about the teams’ reaction I have believed that what will upset the captain is that he made his friend feel he had to keep it secret from him and not that he think less of his friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think a big issue this season is episode length. No need for hour long episodes with these stories, and it's just padding the hell out of it. The Zarva thing went nowhere. Rebecca's fortune teller stuff is being dragged out. Roy just seems to be treading water until him and Keeley obviously get back together (why they split them up is beyond me). We had a huge turn from Nate at the end of last season which again, just being dragged out and for the most part he hasn't really changed that much.

I hope it ends well. But at this stage, I mostly just hope it ends soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Just for a bit of background, the writer of the latest episode (a different Keeley - who the character Keeley is based on - who actually plays Bex (Rupert's new wife)) wrote the leak story based on her own experience of the same thing.

Keeley's arc just seems really disjointed, probably because she has had so little interaction with anyone else (it looks like a lot of green screen is being used this series too). The actress is working on season 4 of Fargo at the moment according to Reddit so that's probably why.

I really felt last season marked the peak of her arc, with her moving on and going it alone and starting her PR company, but now it's been 9 episodes of her reacting to things happening to/around her (the weird office environment, her friend, the Katy Wix character, the new girlfriend, etc etc. Hopefully after what happened in the last ep we'll see her actually taking more action?

Ted has nearly become a background character at this point, ditto Roy (although I'm loving him and Jamie).

Stars of the season so far for me a Jamie, Colin and Trent Crimm.

Jury's still out on Nate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Keeley Hazell is an ex model who had a sex tape released without her permission. I'm assuming that's why she appeared as a writer for this episode, as it was basically her story being told. I was surprised an ex-page 3 model would get such a platform to tell her story though was my point.

I think she was dating Jason Sudeikis up until the middle of last year, so chances are they gave her writing credit for that side of the episode to tell her story, and then the rest of the writing team filled in the remainder of the episode.

Very good episode this week. Felt a lot more like Season 2, shorter episode with less fluff, and properly dealt with some decent character moments and developments. Not huge on the laughs this week (though Beard's press conference was pretty funny), but still really enjoyed this episode. Hopefully this is the start of them bringing the plane in to land for the series end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Oh god I thought this week was the worst!

The storylines are so contrived and poorly delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Good to see the Saw Doctors get some recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

"Yet not one of you spoke up" is probably the funniest line of the season.

Standard bait & switch around Colin & Macadoo. Pretty contrived as said. "Oooh, he must homophobic". Nah, he's just hurt because he Colin didn't trust him enough to tell him. Yawn.

I did enjoy Rebecca & Roy's interactions. It might have seemed like she was vicariously giving out to him for quiting Keely when it got tough, but I reckon that's him nailed on to be manager next season. As seen in his final press conference.

Nate's just a good guy. Glad he showed some backbone (in a way) and did the right thing. He throws out the bravado "body bags" and "play without a goalie", but he's just grown as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Re Nate - I'm liking his storyline so far, really liking Jade(d) and how she saw through Rupert straight away. A lot of people pointed out that she seems to have a solid bullshit detector, hence why she was so cold with Nate at first until she saw him stand up to the model. Will be interesting to see how/if his reconciliation with Ted goes.

The Colin/Isaac story - was thinking that was where Isaac would go with it but him blanking Colin and being a general twat throughout the episode was strange (but appreciate that this is a reaction people get when the come out).

Ted's speech to Colin and that whole scene was very heartwarming.

Roy's press conference scene was brilliant, Beard's was iconic.

Loving Rebecca's truth bombs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think this episode was more dramatically satisfying and tonally controlled compared to the last few ones, albeit still shaky in some respects. But, while I'm all for more progressive representation in TV, I can't shake the 'very special episode' vibes from the way this season is tackling racism, homophobia etc... It's like those few episodes of My So Called Life where the whole episode was designed around imparting a message or moral to the viewer, almost like a PSA. It's pretty clunky rather than organic here, despite some nice character beats and moments that emerge from it.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Sometimes it comes across like a Hallmark show, but with cuss words.

Yeah, the "easy solution to complex problem where everything works out for everyone" is kind of a staple throughout most of the show.

Ted organising a busker for Rebecca's charity night after Robbie Williams pulled out and the busker ends up being terrific. Ted beating Rupert in a game of darts while giving a speech about people being judgemental. Pretty much every scene Sam is in.

It would have been extremely jarring if all of a sudden McAdoo starting throwing out homophobic slurs and refused to play on the same team as Colin.

It was why I struggled with the show for most of the first season. Solutions to most of the problems are far too easy. But there was just always enough charm and humour that it didn't matter. They haven't really hit that same balance this season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Actually thought it was the best episode of the season, primarily because of Roy Kent but it's still very hammy

Can only echo my sentiments about most of this season; episode didn't need to be this long and really dragged. It's all coming together for the last few episodes and there were parts I liked, but just too bloated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Roy Kent the star of the show again.

The Nate redemption arc sped up. Did I miss an episode? He went from walking out on a night out with Rupert to quitting managing West Ham?

Big leap. Needless to say he will have a part to play with Richmond beating West Ham towards the end of the season.

Decent episode but too many cutey bits in it almost too sweet. I did PMSL at international version of Dani Rojas! 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 21,132 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I assume Nate walked out as he saw what Rupert was like and he was being used so while it was a jump, don't think it was that much.

Don't think can complain about everything working out nicely, it's the exact sort of show to do that. If they could cut the episode a bit it would've been better, but this week's one didn't feel it dragged as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I actually had to go back and rewatch the end of episode 9 to see if I missed Nate actually quitting

Nate is a massive pain in the arse character but this episode where his father finally admitted he respects him... Clichéd and hamfisted as it was, was emotional

Ted Lasso has definitely lost the plot in terms of sharp writing and believable characters (although it was always full on caricature TV) but they still know how to pull the emotional strings

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm assuming that we'll have some sort of flashback with what happened between Nate and Rupert. It's far too pivotal for us not to see it and it was clearly traumatic for Nate.

Aside from the Nate storyline skipping several key character beats to explain what the **** is going on with him, the whole Jack / Keeley writing is baffling. Can’t say I was super fond of Jack as a character anyway, but they way they’ve made her some bizarre, sociopathic arch-supervillain off-screen does not gel at all with the character seen on screen. The idea of a business being shuttered without the CEO even finding out or her ex-girlfriend giving a heads up about about it is such random, lazy writing - again, plot necessity winning out over basic logic or character consistency. Even if they reveal more in the coming episodes, it just is so unsatisfying in the moment. The Roy / Keeley break-up never really made sense either so feels like we’ve spent a season spinning wheels just to get back to the status quo.

This overstuffed episode - lost count of the number of big emotional montages (three I think?) - did really illustrate something though: this very much feels like Ted Lasso trying to set the table for a post-Ted Ted Lasso. Like several other episodes this season, the main character may as will not be present for all he has to do in this episode. Given many signs point to a Sudekis exit, it wouldn’t at all surprise me if they’re looking to create a show that continues without its lead.

i thought I had missed an episode about Nate too. It was a sudden leap to have him quit off screen between episodes.

He was so nasty in the final episode last season but with the exception of a two scenes he was just back to being Nate, with a little more confidence.

How things always work out and how most of the characters are nice people at times felt very odd but I like that it takes a more positive view of the world.

The criticism I have of the season is that Roy doesn’t have any scenes at all with his niece between episodes 1 and 10. Their relationship is is just golden.

I knew the doctor in season was Roy’s sister. I’m surprised it took this long to bring her back.

I think the whole thing they tried to show this episode with Nate is that towards the end of last season, he felt he was underappreciated, ignored, and wanted success and power. Then he got it. Now throughout this season, Rupert has shown him how empty success is without happiness. He tried to set Nate up with beautiful models but he was in love with a waitress. He's had great success with the team but even with them winning, he saw Ted & Beard in the crowd and misses them. He tried to set up his own Diamond Dogs but the people are just there for a job rather than being friends. And I think Rupert trying to get him to cheat on the waitress was the last straw as he doesn't want to be brought down to that level. He's realised he wants happiness rather than success, just like how his father apologised to him for always trying to push him to be successful rather than happy.

It's definitely sudden and a real shame they skipped the scene where Nate leaves Rupert. I can see the pattern, but it's been so lost in the jumble of everything else they're doing with the season even though it was the 'big' moment of last season's finale.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The fact they didn’t show Nate quitting and an almost inexcusable. The bloated run time of the episodes have resulted in filler scenes. Amsterdam I’m looking at you.

They could have easily made time for Nate’s arc more. It’s almost like they’re rushing towards the season finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Another excellent episode as usual!

Loving Jamie in any scene with Roy and Roys niece is just adorable!

International Dani Rojas is just hilarious!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Complete mess of an episode. Nate is one of the most interesting characters and to skip such a key part in his storyline is baffling, unless something happened which meant it had to be dropped or couldn't be shot.

Van Damn had more airtime than Ted in this episode, Ted has hardly been in it this season and the storylines with that Nigerian business fella were awful

I like Katy Wix but her character adds nothing to the show

I am enjoying the Jamie/Roy romance though

Advertisement