Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

When this collection was still a rumour, I was certain I was going to pick it up, but the actual product has come as a disappointment and as it stands I'm not planning on buying it.

I have only played Galaxy of the three games, and I have both G1 and 2 for the Wii, so I think Wii mode on the Wii U is probably still the best way to play that.

I'm curious about Sunshine, but from what I've read about it, it sounds like it needs some serious reworking, as in Wind Waker HD, to make it more palatable (I also heard they didn't include GameCube controller support).

That leaves 64. I have 64 on the DS, but it lacks true analog controls, and on the Wii U VC, but that version has issues with lag. I'd probably buy this version of 64 if they made it available separately. Still disappointing it doesn't include widescreen support.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When this collection was still a rumour, I was certain I was going to pick it up, but the actual product has come as a disappointment and as it stands I'm not planning on buying it.

I have only played Galaxy of the three games, and I have both G1 and 2 for the Wii, so I think Wii mode on the Wii U is probably still the best way to play that.

I'm curious about Sunshine, but from what I've read about it, it sounds like it needs some serious reworking, as in Wind Waker HD, to make it more palatable (I also heard they didn't include GameCube controller support).

That leaves 64. I have 64 on the DS, but it lacks true analog controls, and on the Wii U VC, but that version has issues with lag. I'd probably buy this version of 64 if they made it available separately. Still disappointing it doesn't include widescreen support.

I couldn't disagree with you more, tbh.
    As an owner of them all on their original formats, the editions on the Switch are just fine.
    Mario 64, the only regret is a lack of widescreen, but otherwise it's simply stunning.
    Sunshine is still going to polarize people, some thinking it's fantastic and others thinking it's merely great, and the Switch release is welcome, with the issues with the original remaining, in terms of level structure, waypoints and so on.
    Galaxy is pure class, and they seem to be adjusting the controls to make them better, including with the first update.

A selection that is well worth investing in, imho

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo - '2 of the greatest games of all time.... and Sunshine, in one package.'

Gamers - 'Not good enough, I want more. Fix the camera.'

Activision - ' Here's three Crash Bandicoot games that were never amazing but now they look pretty. Oh and we also screwed up how they play and the physics are all wrong'

Gamers - 'Inject it to my veins!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nintendo - '2 of the greatest games of all time.... and Sunshine, in one package.'

Gamers - 'Not good enough, I want more. Fix the camera.'

Activision - ' Here's three Crash Bandicoot games that were never amazing but now they look pretty. Oh and we also screwed up how they play and the physics are all wrong'

Gamers - 'Inject it to my veins!'

A better comparison is Wind Waker HD, which was a top notch remaster which tweaked gameplay where needed, and took advantage of the features of the console it was released for with a touchscreen map and menu (only the new lighting was controversial and the GBA multiplayer feature was left out.) And you can still buy it years later. If they'd done that for these I'd happily buy them, even as separate releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Anybody here pre-order from Amazon ? Mine hasn't even dispatched yet :/

Same here. Not dispatched yet, it's saying Thursday as delivery date which would need it to be dispatched sometime today.

• Advertisement

Gamers ->
    Mario 64 -> Camera and slippery controls are out-dated for us modern gamers. Only 30 fps, Letter-boxed

Sunshine -> Never finished by many who bought it as it was annoying and frustrating in the first place

Galaxy -> Great game but botched handheld controls .... on a system that many prefer to play handheld

Galaxy 2 -> Where art thou?

Nintendo ->
    Emulation is just fantastic as now we can throw out some more ancient N64 and Gamecube products, don't change anything except maybe for a bit of auto-upscaling and charge the idiots for a second or third time again. First-party re-releases with zero/ minimal effort are the way forward for best profit margins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Can you imagine the backlash if Nintendo remastered all three of these games, and sold them for the same price as all their other remasters (Wind Waker, Mario 3D World, Twilight Princess)?

Honestly, I'm happy to have the games in a playable form on an existing console. Complaining about Mario Galaxy being not fully supported in handheld is like complaining the Switch doesn't have two screens to emulate DS games. It was made with the Wiimote in mind, and it is perfectly playable in tabletop mode. It's adequately playable in handheld mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

A better comparison is Wind Waker HD, which was a top notch remaster which tweaked gameplay where needed, and took advantage of the features of the console it was released for with a touchscreen map and menu (only the new lighting was controversial and the GBA multiplayer feature was left out.) And you can still buy it years later. If they'd done that for these I'd happily buy them, even as separate releases.
    That's 1 game vs 3 though. Wind Waker came out on the Gamecube so it would be like them doing a massive rework of Sunshine and releasing that full price. It would be nice to see a few things being reworked but it's not like they said they were going to and then didn't. They've been very clear on what it contains and how much it'll cost so at least you're making an informed decision when buying. I agree that the limit release window is a strange choice. I'd be surprised if they weren't released independently on the eShop at some stage, but Nintendo do make some odd choices

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And as I keep saying, coding emulators from scratch isn't free. It's a huge amount of development work.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I have a reservation number for Argos in Nutgrove for this. Expires this evening. If anyone needs it PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Has anyone been playing these with a pro controller? If so any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Has anyone been playing these with a pro controller? If so any issues?

Sunshine is fine with the pro controller.
    For Galaxy its a little awkward, but it does work. The joycons work better imo.

Haven't tried 64 yet.

And as I keep saying, coding emulators from scratch isn't free. It's a huge amount of development work.

All the more surprising then that are so many excellent emulators out there for absolutely no charge :D

In fact, even with just a basic laptop you can easily emulate up to Wii level for free with no extra Nintendo tax - assuming that you own an original copy of the games to keep things kosher of course!

You can even enjoy super-advanced enhancements like better camera controls, higher fps, full-screen aspects etc that were beyond the scope of the mighty N.

If you have a more powerful machine you can enjoy Wii U and play games in 4k!

glasso wrote: »
    All the more surprising then that are so many excellent emulators out there for absolutely no charge :D

In fact, even with just a basic laptop you can easily emulate up to Wii level for free with no extra Nintendo tax - assuming that you own an original copy of the games to keep things kosher of course!

You can even enjoy super-advanced enhancements like better camera controls, higher fps, full-screen aspects etc that were beyond the scope of the mighty N.

If you have a more powerful machine you can enjoy Wii U and play games in 4k!

I'm not even going to bother because again you are just demonstrator total ignorance of basic videogame development and emulator development (many of those free emulators are the process of 20+ years of collaborative development).

But if believe downloading an emulator and rom for free is the same as what Nintendo could have done for All-Stars developmet then I'll just leave it at that.

If this collection had galaxy 2 I’d do buy it but it doesn’t so I won’t

I'm not even going to bother because again you are just demonstrator total ignorance of basic videogame development and emulator development (many of those free emulators are the process of 20+ years of collaborative development).

But if believe downloading an emulator and rom for free is the same as what Nintendo could have done for All-Stars developmet then I'll just leave it at that.

?

not sure why you are equating videogame development and emulator development :confused: or even bringing up game development as emulation is the subject in question here

completely different disciplines with pretty much zero in common

I never said that emulators didn't require effort either- of course they do - that's not the point at all- it's not like I could prove that one was written in 100 lines of simple code!

the point was that you can do this better than what Nintendo is providing in some cases without buying it again if you have the games already.

it's not as if Nintendo weren't working on this for ages and didn't have ages to get it right - they had Mario Galaxy running on emulation on the exact switch cpu (tegra x1) over 2 years ago (youtube video from June 2018). Something that popped up a few months ago it is certainly not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mod Instruction: Drop this topic now.
    Any further discussion will result in warnings, infractions and possible ban

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wondering how I figured some of these things out when playing Mario 64 originally

Of the three I'm playing, I'm enjoying the pleasures of Mario 64 the most, the levels are so familiar, like playgrounds from childhood, fantastic stuff.
    Although Sunshine and Galaxy are still great, they feel too recent, and I know there is only a few years between Mario 64 and Sunshine, but it does more reflect the graphical leap between the N64 and the GC.

Might discuss it on another thread, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,322 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I never played Sunshine or Galaxy before as I never had a Gamecube, Wii or Wii U so am loving this collection.

Mario 64 is such a simple pleasure and brings me right back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Of the three I'm playing, I'm enjoying the pleasures of Mario 64 the most, the levels are so familiar, like playgrounds from childhood, fantastic stuff.
    Although Sunshine and Galaxy are still great, they feel too recent, and I know there is only a few years between Mario 64 and Sunshine, but it does more reflect the graphical leap between the N64 and the GC.

Might discuss it on another thread, actually.

Only really thought about it when on the title selection screens of 3D All Stars, but there was 5 years between 64 and Sunshine, and another 5 years between Sunshine and Galaxy!
    1997 - 2002 - 2007
    There was one hell of a leap graphically between 1997 and 2002!
    It's truly remarkable, and a testament to how well all three of them still play, 13 years on from the release of Galaxy, and 23 years from 64!
    (Granted, some released earlier in Japan)

I can remember playing Super Mario 64 on an imported N64 in Gamesworld.
    I was working there at the time and it simply was a quantum leap from everything else.
    I mean, there was a lot of innovation going on, from Tekken on the PS to Quake on the PC, but SM64 seemed to be the one that was truly new.

And Nintendo, as they later did with Metroid Prime, did not just make a previous game in 3D, they embraced the possibilities and limits of having a 3rd dimension to play in and made something extraordinary.

And this magic is still alive and well in Mario 64, I hope those who play it now for the first time are as impressed with it as I was back then, and still am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I'm currently trying to find a baby penguin in SM64 and spent a good half hour looking for him with no joy. Am I missing something obvious? Or am I just brutal at this game? Reluctant to use a guide but feel I might have to with this game.

I'm currently trying to find a baby penguin in SM64 and spent a good half hour looking for him with no joy. Am I missing something obvious? Or am I just brutal at this game? Reluctant to use a guide but feel I might have to with this game.
    The baby penguin is at the top of the mountain, from the starting point, then you just have to carry the little beggar to his mammy at the bottom!

Is there any benefit to
    using the canons or what's the best way to do this
    ?

I did it last night and just jumped up there, nabbed it and the walked, slipped and slided my way to a power star!

Will give it another bash this evening. Overall I'm enjoying it. The camera isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be with the way people were talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

I'm definitely in the minority, but I never liked 64 on the n64. I always found it odd to be playing the same levels all over again to look for different stars and preferred cleaner sprites to polygons. However, its the one I'm most looking forward to playing in this collection. I enjoyed sunshine first time round and the two galaxy games are probably my favourites, but as ciderman was saying I think they are both probably too recent for me.

Picking it up this evening with Paper Mario

Dying to give Mario 64 a go. I love that game and every time I give it a go I end up beating it with all the stars (except the DS one where it's a mess of game breaking and ending bugs, one of which I fell victim to). Playing Deus Ex and want to beat it this time without abandoning it this time and 13 Sentinels after that so not sure when I'll find the time. Sunshine will be interesting, loved it at the time but even then there was a lot of frustration with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

barryribs wrote: »
    I'm definitely in the minority, but I never liked 64 on the n64. I always found it odd to be playing the same levels all over again to look for different stars and preferred cleaner sprites to polygons. However, its the one I'm most looking forward to playing in this collection. I enjoyed sunshine first time round and the two galaxy games are probably my favourites, but as ciderman was saying I think they are both probably too recent for me.

Picking it up this evening with Paper Mario

I had the exact same feeling about Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie when they were out. Playing the same level drove me up the wall sometimes. I suppose that's why I rarely replay games. I dont enjoy them next time around anywhere near as much. Except maybe some Zelda games. Saying that I enjoyed both Mario 64 and moreso Banjo Kazooie. Just annoyed me at times.

Left 4 dead, Mass effect multiplayer, COD Zombies all fall into the same bracket of meh cause it's the same limited number of levels over and over against AI.

Advertisement