Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I quite enjoyed it. Meant you get to see parts of the level you might have missed. Then going for 100 coins at the end of it when you fully know the level. And if you were annoyed you could move on to a different stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

For those that were too young to remember Mario 64 was absolutely jaw dropping when it releases, impossible to understate it's impact. I was a PS1 guy for that console generation, bought one around the summer of 97.

Around the same time Mario 64 was released the biggest platformer on PS1 was Crash Bandicoot. Just no comparision, Crash was very restricted and on rails, Mario had these completely 3D open courses and you could control the camera angle (albeit in a limited fashion) yourself.

You did have the first Tomb Raider as well I guess but that was more a slower paced action-adventure game than a platformer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mario 64 was pretty much the first 3D platformer that just worked and was fun. Tomb Raider predated it by a few weeks but it certainly wasn't fun to move it, was awfully clunky and the work was made of boxes. Movement felt regimented and on a grid. Whereas Mario 64 was free wheeling with the movement based on physics. It just felt solid. The levels were enormous as well. Jumping Flash on PS1 was about a good as the PS1 got in terms of 3D platforming but even that was very basic. I don't think it even let you land of slopes for instance.

Crash Bandicoot has a lot of misplaced nostalgia, because at the time it was savaged for being not a great platformer and also such a massive step backwards from the game changer that Mario 64 was. It felt so old and dated even on release.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As a comparison with Tomb Raider that I saw once said, Imagine playing Mario 64 with a d-pad

CastorTroy wrote: »
    As a comparison with Tomb Raider that I saw once said, Imagine playing Mario 64 with a d-pad

When N64 emulation became something playable I played Mario 64 with a keyboard.

It was still more playable than Tomb Raider.

I have played through Tomb Raider and still think the first game holds up (less said about the sequel and beyond). Mario 64 is just a massive leap in game design above it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tomb Raider felt very clunky, even upon release.
    I had it on PC and didn't love the controls, certainly reminded me of the original Prince of Persia, where you got to be great eventually but you had to stick with the control system to get there.
    Mario 64 was built around the controller, so it never felt less than perfect

Tomb Raider used tank controls, didn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yes it did!
    Oddly enough, it was Prince of Persia Sands of Time that really kicked ass as a 3D platformer in that mode, very smooth

Yeah but it was more like resident evil 4 controls. Didn't find them that bad.

A more accurate way to describe it is prince of persia in 3D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Here's my 2 cents as to why this is worthwhile.

I'm an older gamer who unfortunately missed a lot of the mario games - not deliberately, just happened that way.

Not anti Nintendo at all - I loved goldeneye .

I worked in game dev - around the time of Prince of Persia (3d not sands of time). In that time I focussed on graphics and physics

Anyway, I now have a 6 year old who loved Mario Odyssey and similar.

I bought him 3d all stars as a treat and he just loves it.All 3 games. And that's the thing - great games are great games. Especially for kids whose imaginations are pretty much unbounded.

Three absolute super games for €60 is a steal in my opinion - snd in my son's!

• Advertisement

Right. Well I'm actually pissed off with the games now. The original mario 64 and sunshine had the y axis inverted. The way god intended.

So now nintendo have change the y axis controls to be non inverted. I can't play like this as I always use inverted y and there's no way to change it back to how it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Right. Well I'm actually pissed off with the games now. The original mario 64 and sunshine had the y axis inverted. The way god intended.

So now nintendo have change the y axis controls to be non inverted. I can't play like this as I always use inverted y and there's no way to change it back to how it should be.

I'm having the same issue with Sunshine but can't remember if that's the way its always been. I always play inverted so I'm struggling with the FLUDD controls big time. Hopefully it'll come together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So now Nintendo have change the y axis controls to be non inverted. I can't play like this as I always use inverted y and there's no way to change it back to how it should be.

Yeah, it needs to be updated to let people change this, but this is Nintendo, I cant see them doing any proper updates. I find Sunshine very difficult to play now. I have no idea why they did this.
    Sunshine is one of my favorite Marios. Played it to death on the Gamecube.
    Hell, I still play it on the Gamecube. And looks like I will for the foreseeable future, still looks great tbh.

Mario64 is great but haven't tried it properly yet.
    Galaxy is Amazing! Like, a lot of work went into it. It plays so well with the Joycons. So why didn't they do this with SMS.

So, I paid basically €60 for Galaxy, again. I dont mind though, Galaxy is one of the best games ever made. But still, this collection needs some fixes.

skerry wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue with Sunshine but can't remember if that's the way its always been. I always play inverted so I'm struggling with the FLUDD controls big time. Hopefully it'll come together

It was inverted on the original release. People that don't play inverted complained. So they changed it for this release. Then people that play inverted or are used to the original are having trouble.

It's the same in Mario 64 but it's not as vital to being able to play it.

It really needs a toggle.... like every game since the ****ing Playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Phew, not just me! I was playing last night, and wondering why FLUDD was like a drunk trying to piss against a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Eventually our sins catch up with us all :D

xckjoo wrote: »

Us that grew up on Quake played inverted because it was decreed in the sacred texts that inverted was the way all games shall play.

'Thou shall open the sacred command console and thou shall enter +mlook. Then thou shall invert the maps in the options menu'

Then all these noobs and noobpad using philistines arrived that could play xwing vs tie fighter to save their life arrived and their primodial frontal lobes couldn't handle the elegance of inverted mouse which leads to this ****e.

Also, off topic but the 360 remebered whether you liked inverted controls in the actual console and applied it to every game.... why is this not in any other console including the XBox One!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

xckjoo wrote: »

I actually have no idea when I started playing inverted or why. All I know is I literally cannot play with a regular y axis. No matter how hard I try, every time I get to a part in Sunshine that requires me a clean a wall or anything that takes any degree of aiming it takes about 10 times longer than it should. Any game maker that doesn't put the option to invert into their games these days just isn't paying attention.......to my needs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

Talking about controls, found myself subconsciously trying to use the gyro aiming for the cannons in 64 :D

Us that grew up on Quake played inverted because it was decreed in the sacred texts that inverted was the way all games shall play.

'Thou shall open the sacred command console and thou shall enter +mlook. Then thou shall invert the maps in the options menu'

Then all these noobs and noobpad using philistines arrived that could play xwing vs tie fighter to save their life arrived and their primodial frontal lobes couldn't handle the elegance of inverted mouse which leads to this ****e.

Also, off topic but the 360 remebered whether you liked inverted controls in the actual console and applied it to every game.... why is this not in any other console including the XBox One!

I'm very worried about you Retr0, I think you are starting to regress to an earlier posting style...
    Are you alone right now, do you need someone to come to where you are and help you find some sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I actually have no idea when I started playing inverted or why. All I know is I literally cannot play with a regular y axis. No matter how hard I try, every time I get to a part in Sunshine that requires me a clean a wall or anything that takes any degree of aiming it takes about 10 times longer than it should. Any game maker that doesn't put the option to invert into their games these days just isn't paying attention.......to my needs :)

I was actually scoffed at by a bunch of 10 years because I use inverted, and I clearly had something wrong with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It turns out a lot of my frustration at Mario 64 was due to fecking joycon drift. I was playing odyssey last night, noticed the movement felt a bit off and the camera seemed to be moving itself a bit. Connected my ps4 controller instead and fired up 64. Sure enough it felt so much smoother and responsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Quick question: did anyone ever get their Gamestop pre-order on this??

Doodah7 wrote: »

Yep. Got it Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Picked it up in store on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Thanks, I never got a call. I'll chase up now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Yup, arrived on release day.

Mario 64 done. 100 stars. Won't bother with the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Anybody playing on a Switch Lite?

The way I understand it is that Mario 64 should be OK to play (widescreen and second analog camera would have been nice to haves). But Super Mario Sunshine will be a bit frustrating due to no analog triggers (have to move the character instead of the water) and Mario Galaxy is worse because of using the touchscreen for all the mini game levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Anybody playing on a Switch Lite?

The way I understand it is that Mario 64 should be OK to play (widescreen and second analog camera would have been nice to haves). But Super Mario Sunshine will be a bit frustrating due to no analog triggers (have to move the character instead of the water) and Mario Galaxy is worse because of using the touchscreen for all the mini game levels.

I've been playing Sunshine on the Lite and it's grand. I'd say analog triggers might be better but haven't had any issues so far. Haven't tried the other two yet

Advertisement