Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fysh wrote: »
    I don't even remember either of those, and I know for a fact I completed the game :confused::o No doubt I'll find out soon enough.

The tightrope stuff is definitely lacking in polish - you can see certain bits where it's close to the intention, but it's too inconsistent and finicky at times.

Turns out I still really like the game, though :)

Consider yourself lucky. If you are going for 120 shines you will meet them.

I still wake up up at night in cold ptsd sweats about them two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

iamtony wrote: »
    Was playing this today and came on here to share the joy but u fortunately this is what I get:D

I knew what I was buying. I mostly played Mario 64 and really enjoyed it but I'm a retro fan.

Only thing I'm disappointed with is no galaxy 2:(

Anyway happy gaming x.

You can unlock it if you ignore Glasso

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭tbahh

Argos now have a deal where you if you buy 3D All-Stars, you get Paper Mario for €35! It comes to 95.49 for the two, around 47.75 each. I haven't bought Paper Mario yet - game backlog - but I was probably going to buy it one day. I have them reserved until Monday so I'll mull it over until then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Consider yourself lucky. If you are going for 120 shines you will meet them.

I still wake up up at night in cold ptsd sweats about them two.

They're oddly not any easier when you're allowed got back to them later with FLUDD attached; "odd" because you'd have sworn you'd have avoided 500 deaths if you'd just had FLUDD on that one jump. The one where you've to get the Piantas to launch you across the void is particularly gruesome to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Fysh wrote: »
    Played some more of Sunshine this morning and found out that ZL does two things - it realigns the camera, but if held down also locks Mario into a "strafe" mode, to make it a bit easier to aim the spray without having to stand still. Thought I'd mention it as I don't think it's in the control list in-game.

Also, I'm starting to remember the challenge/frustration of some of the FLUDD-less levels. Hopefully my platforming skills haven't atrophied too much since the first time I played it through, some of those levels were damn hard first time round!

It’s not just you. I’m finding them very rough. The first one is supposed to ease you in. It does not. I’m about four in now and they don’t get easier. I’m actually focusing on Galaxy and about 25 stars in. Wow. This game is stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The fluddless levels were insanely rough but nothing is worse than the pachinko and that stupid leaf level.

The one where the piantas have to fling you around is what I'm dreading.

chrislad wrote: »
    It’s not just you. I’m finding them very rough. The first one is supposed to ease you in. It does not. I’m about four in now and they don’t get easier. I’m actually focusing on Galaxy and about 25 stars in. Wow. This game is stunning.

Galaxy is, from memory, way easier than Sunshine.

But Sunshine is still one of a tiny handful of games I love more than Galaxy.

So has anyone managed to get a copy from gamestop? Seems odd they don't have any and it's out of stock on their website.

I preordered from Smyths, because I preorded the mini Snes from Gamestop the minute it was announced, and I ended up buying it on release day from Smyths with no preorder and getting the GS one literally weeks later (and giving it to my brother for Christmas).

Completely obliterating the point of a preorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

tbahh wrote:
    Argos now have a deal where you if you buy 3D All-Stars, you get Paper Mario for €35! It comes to 95.49 for the two, around 47.75 each. I haven't bought Paper Mario yet - game backlog - but I was probably going to buy it one day. I have them reserved until Monday so I'll mull it over until then!

Or, if you buy a pro controller you get paper Mario for 35.

Availed of this yesterday, can't believe it took me since launch to get a proper controller, might need to 'switch' from 100% handheld play now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Since I bought a Pro controller, after a succession of money saving imitations, I wonder why I didn't just get it in the first place.
    Analogue triggers aside, a poor decision on Nintendo's part, it's a remarkable controller and makes playing games on the big screen a pleasure.
    I was using it to play SM64 yesterday, after only playing it in handheld, and it was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Picked it up yesterday and got a decent amount of Sunshine under my belt. Never finished it on GC so setting myself a challenge. Controls and camera are fine but dying can be tough. Not much in the way of checkpoints so you can end up having to replay large chunks. So far it's been mildly annoying but I can see it being a bigger issue further on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

xckjoo wrote: »
    Picked it up yesterday and got a decent amount of Sunshine under my belt. Never finished it on GC so setting myself a challenge. Controls and camera are fine but dying can be tough. Not much in the way of checkpoints so you can end up having to replay large chunks. So far it's been mildly annoying but I can see it being a bigger issue further on

For all of it's faults, it's still better than any 3D platformer on any other console that generation.
    Even when Nintendo get it wrong, it still gets it more right than most, at least when it comes to this stuff.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    For all of it's faults, it's still better than any 3D platformer on any other console that generation.
    Even when Nintendo get it wrong, it still gets it more right than most, at least when it comes to this stuff.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

So has anyone managed to get a copy from gamestop? Seems odd they don't have any and it's out of stock on their website.

I had my one pre-order with GS but got a phone call that was like yeah it might be in by Saturday or Sunday. Since I was off this weekend and I planed to get it on the way home from work, No game stop near me, I cancelled by pre-order and went digital.

I don't go digital often for a full price game and I regret it now. I can't sell it on when I done.

My memory of Mario 64 was the DS version. It though with the camera and not loving it as much as I recall. If I get more stuck into maybe, I can get back into it.
    Galaxy is great, would love to have part 2, as never played it before. Have never played sunshine so waiting to start that one.

Ninntendo were a bit cheeky making this a full price game, but hey we all payed for it, so I guess they were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Started into Galaxy last night. That games still looks and plays awesome. Had no issues with detached Joy Cons. Played a bit of Sunshine today and Im going to struggle with the inability to invert y axis. Might just need to get used to it. Was playing handheld too so maybe pro controller will be better. Think I'll try finish Sunshine before getting back to Galaxy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭McFly85

Just finished the story in Galaxy(plenty more stars to get!) and it still an absolutely phenomenal game, almost worth the price of the entire collection alone. Reckon it’s the high point of the whole series.

Think I’ll try sunshine next, never finished it!

McFly85 wrote: »
    Just finished the story in Galaxy(plenty more stars to get!) and it still an absolutely phenomenal game, almost worth the price of the entire collection alone. Reckon it’s the high point of the whole series.

You've not played Galaxy 2 then?
    Possibly, that is even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

McFly85 wrote: »

Getting the other stars is where the real fun starts. Make sure you go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Anyone played much of Galaxy on handheld mode yet? Is it playable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Its playable, but its a fuller experience with the joycons off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's playable perfectly in levels that don't require the 'wand' - It's less enjoyable in ones that don't. It's fine, just finicky. I've played in tabletop mode mainly with detacted joycons, and it's been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

OK, own up. Who dropped the penguin off the side?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Anybody here pre-order from Amazon ? Mine hasn't even dispatched yet :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Is this version of Mario 64 the original version [only Mario playable] or the DS version that added Luigi, Wario and Yoshi?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Is this version of Mario 64 the original version [only Mario playable] or the DS version that added Luigi, Wario and Yoshi?

It's the Japanese Shinden re-release of the original. This release adds the English voice overs and removes some glitches from the original release.

This is why the dialogue is different upon throwing Bowser. It was changed to remove his name as he is called King Koopa in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Also Peach says her name different at the end of the opening letter, I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Just dispatched there for me

Must try to finish paper mario by Thursday as I only got it as a stop gap and it's a bit... Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Len_007

Panic bought off the Nintendo UK store last week, DPD will deliver it tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Got my copy from Simply Games today, very swift delivery from the UK.

Haven't had a chance to have a go yet apart from checking out the music player

• Advertisement

Got my copy from Simply Games today, very swift delivery from the UK.

Haven't had a chance to have a go yet apart from checking out the music player

Hardly surprising, with a name like Super Sonic...

Advertisement