Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I'm now even more on the fence about these games. I have it pre-ordered with Gamestop but will have to see if I will go ahead. (As an aside, what happens if you don't collect a Gamestop pre-order?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

Galaxy.

The touch screen controls for collecting and firing stat bits in portable mode will be a huge compromise I feel.
    You'll have to interrupt the flow and take your hand off a controller to do these actions. Hopefully not a big deal.

so yes, not even ported. emulated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, come on then, reveal Super Mario Galaxy 2 already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I've played about 1 hour of Mario 64 back when it first came out. And haven't played either of the other 2 games at all. I'm very excited for this. I do have my N64 setup in the games room with Mario 64 cart in the box, just never got around to starting it up.
    Roll on Friday. Hopefully Smyths have no issues with stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Getting a bit nervous now, I hope they don't sully the All Stars name.

Apart from having an Atari 2600 when it was already obselete, A SNES Mario All Stars bundle was my first proper console. What a console, what a game. Vastly upgraded visuals and sound on that All Stars game.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

no right-stick analog camera in Mario 64.

Even hackers could do that on a bootleg version that you can get for pc and other systems.

really hard to accept/ bring yourself to play without that in this day and age.

All the jankiness of Sunshine will be there too (dodgy camera, pachinko nightmares).

I think people are right to be up in arms about this being €60.

• Advertisement

I see that because of the fact that sunshine is running on an emulator that hackers are already working on using it to run other Gamecube software items through it - e.g. twilight princess, metroid prime etc etc.

Review embargo is over.

Nintendo Life: 9
    Gamespot: 8
    Nintendo World Report: 8.5

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/super-mario-3d-all-stars?ref=hp

Yep, portable mode in Galaxy will be a problem: can't run, jump and collect/fire start bits at the same time with attached joycons.
    Really think Galaxy 2 should be on there for the price. And it's a pity 64 and Sunshine are not 60FPS.
    Apart from that, sounds like it works fine with detached joycons and pro controller according to Nintendo Life.
    Think 64 still looks good. It doesn't have complex textures so it has aged pretty well.

Looking forward to see how they play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Eurogamer pretty lukewarm on it. They make a good point that the original Super Mario Allstars on the Snes was a compilation clearly made with a lot of love and the titles were beautifully refurbished. These seem to be little more than ports. Still getting it, but oh well

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-16-super-mario-3d-all-stars-review-three-great-games-in-one-lacklustre-compilation

yes it's really half-arsed by Nintendo standards.

let's be honest here.

the corpo wrote: »
    Eurogamer pretty lukewarm on it. They make a good point that the original Super Mario Allstars on the Snes was a compilation clearly made with a lot of love and the titles were beautifully refurbished. These seem to be little more than ports. Still getting it, but oh well

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-16-super-mario-3d-all-stars-review-three-great-games-in-one-lacklustre-compilation

they are not even ports!

emulated.

It's disappointing because it's not a new Nintendo system + a kick ass Mario game for me.

I've been completely and utterly blessed with a new snes + world + allstars, a new N64 + mario 64, a new Wii + galaxy, a new Wii U + 3d world + mario u, and a new switch + odyssey (all my own money).

Not to mention gameboy with land and 3ds with 3d land.

So, how can this possibly be the same. Really it'd have to be a switch 2 + kick ass odyssey 2 to compare. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Look, let's not fool ourselves. While it would be great for a remaster, you can be sure that you would not be getting 3 remasters for 60 quid. Case in point is the two Zelda remasters (Wind Waker, Twilight Princess) - both full price releases. This is three full games, for the price of one master. Whether the price is too high or not, is a matter of opinion, but it's certainly comparable to previous releases.

The only thing that may have stopped me would be the concerns I had over Mario Galaxy controls in portable/Switch Lite mode - concerns that appear to have been validated - so I am glad I traded my Switch Lite towards a regular model for that at least.

This is still a day one purchase for me, and even an older, average, Sunshiney Mario game is better than most other games out there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I made a little "woohoo!" noise this afternoon when I got a texr saying my preordered copy will be delivered by 3pm on Friday.

Yeah, it'd be lovely if we were getting fully re-mastered versions of these games. But... I dunno, I figure this is functionally the equivalent of a VC release for them, and I'm fine with that if they run properly and I can play them docked and undocked.

I'm going to definitely disagree with the grousing about price - this is a set of 3 full Mario games. A little over £16 each for 3 full games I know I'll enjoy playing again is something I'm ok with paying. I guess we each choose where to draw our line in the sand on this front, but this doesn't feel particularly greedy on Nintendo's part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pretty shoddy release by the sounds of it, and coupled with the limited availability Nintendo might have slipped up a little. I was tempted but a half assed set of ports shoved out under a tacti of artificial scarcity has put me right off.

Every now and again Nintendo, for all their good points as a games company, pull a fast one that reminds they're not too far from the EA and Ubisofts of this world.

• Advertisement

If this was a Microsoft release on pc or xbone 1 of say Halo 1, 2 and 3 and they simply upscaled the original graphics to 1080p (or not even actually in some cases), using all the same menus etc as the original releases years and years ago on ancient consoles and added absolutely nothing (soundtracks I'm not counting) it would be given a 3 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I’m disgusted Nintendo are not throwing in a free Switch with each copy of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Really looking forward to getting this on Friday am hoping it's not delayed coming in to stores am going to try get one from Argos if I can.

Racing that Penguin in Super Mario 64 was so frustratingly fun. One of my favourite gaming moments growing up

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

glasso wrote: »
    If this was a Microsoft release on pc or xbone 1 of say Halo 1, 2 and 3 and they simply upscaled the original graphics to 1080p (or not even actually in some cases), using all the same menus etc as the original releases years and years ago on ancient consoles and added absolutely nothing (soundtracks I'm not counting) it would be given a 3 out of 10.

Looking at the Bioshock collection, it's certainly true to say the launch price doesn't compare well. And I expect we can forget about any significant level of discounts for at least a year, if at all.

The actual remastering/porting aspect also won't compare well, but tbh on that front I'll wait until I see what it looks like before deciding to get up in arms about it. This ain't going to be the first time I play an emulated Mario game, 2D or 3D :D

Given the pricing of the Link's Awakening remaster, I personally prefer this approach and would not have even considered buying if it was £50 for each game (but remastered).

The limited release is absolute arsegravy and can definitely do one.

The flipside of all of this is that Nintendo's standard for Mario games has been sufficiently and consistently high that a bunch of folk are willing to pay full price for this collection, in the same way that BotW is well-received enough that Nintendo can get away with still charging full launch price for it 3 years on.

Fysh wrote: »
    Looking at the Bioshock collection, it's certainly true to say the launch price doesn't compare well. And I expect we can forget about any significant level of discounts for at least a year, if at all.

The actual remastering/porting aspect also won't compare well, but tbh on that front I'll wait until I see what it looks like before deciding to get up in arms about it. This ain't going to be the first time I play an emulated Mario game, 2D or 3D :D

Given the pricing of the Link's Awakening remaster, I personally prefer this approach and would not have even considered buying if it was £50 for each game (but remastered).

The limited release is absolute arsegravy and can definitely do one.

The flipside of all of this is that Nintendo's standard for Mario games has been sufficiently and consistently high that a bunch of folk are willing to pay full price for this collection, in the same way that BotW is well-received enough that Nintendo can get away with still charging full launch price for it 3 years on.

BoTW is one of the best games ever made and offers literally 100's of hours of content if one was so inclined.

These are 24, 18 and 13 year old games with nothing added except upscaling and don't offer that sort of value.

They are good games but lets not let this be glossed over just because it's Nintendo.

If another publisher did this with so little effort they would be derided.

you could point to something on switch like crash bandicoot collection - 3 games, remastered - £30

now you could argue how they compare to these mario games but some effort was put in and it's a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think it's poor form for Nintendo to claim this will be a time limited release. If it wasn't time limited I would wait and try and pick it up if it dropped in price but given the time situation I have it pre-ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Honestly, i dont play Mario for the graphics, so once it handles well i couldnt give a fook.. If it looks bad ill just play hand held and wont be able to see the faults.

I ordered mine off Amazon, so wont get it until next week, im in no rush though my switch back log is atrocious, i still havent played most of odyssey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

My copy just got delivered this morning. Going to fire it up soon enough. Haven't played 64 in a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

My copy arrived this morning. Disappointed it's not a remastered Mario 64, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it nonetheless. Haven't played through 64 since the original DS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to wait for Smyths tomorrow and, even then, I'll be picking it up on the way home from work :(

Honestly, it makes no difference to me if it's a remaster, a port or emulated.
    As long as it runs well and lets me play games I have loved, heck I still own them in their original form, I will be quite happy.
    And the inclusion of the soundtracks is a nice touch as well.

Perhaps there are some DLC based surprised yet to be seen, even if not the pack is worth the admission price.

Some of the arguments about other franchise trilogies selling for less, well, while I can see what you mean in terms of content let's not forget that these are three of the greatest 3D platformers of all time...

Advertisement