Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

There are no analog triggers on the regular Switch (or the Pro Controller) so it wouldn’t be any different on Lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just got my 120th star in Galaxy so I can go focus on Sunshine now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Due today from Amazon after pre-order, got an email to say it was "lost in transit" and I'm being refunded 😥😥😥

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Due today from Amazon after pre-order, got an email to say it was "lost in transit" and I'm being refunded 😥😥😥

That sucks. At least Smyths still have stock so you should be able to get a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

120 stars done on Mario 64.

I'll admit that the camera was a bit frustrating in parts = most notably Tick Tock Clock, where it's a complete disaster really. The pro controller was lucky to make it out of Tick Tock Clock in one piece.

All in all though, what a fantastic game. Delighted to have the 3 games bundled together. Might play through Resident Evil 1 before moving to Sunshine, just to give myself a Mario break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Back in stock in GameStop still in stock in Smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Coybig_ wrote: »
    120 stars done on Mario 64.

I'll admit that the camera was a bit frustrating in parts = most notably Tick Tock Clock, where it's a complete disaster really. The pro controller was lucky to make it out of Tick Tock Clock in one piece.

All in all though, what a fantastic game. Delighted to have the 3 games bundled together. Might play through Resident Evil 1 before moving to Sunshine, just to give myself a Mario break.
    That's a wise decision. I played galaxy 2 straight after one on the wii U wii emulator and I should of taken a break. It was great but just too much Mario in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started Sunshine. Got 2 Game Overs on the first World in the FLUDDless levels. I'm not exactly the best gamer, but imagine this was your first exposure to a Mario game. Difficulty spike right away.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The FLUDDless levels are continuing to be the main downside to Sunshine alright, although the sloppy coding on the camera (hey, let's show you the hill in front of Mario instead of what you want to see!) is also frustrating. I remember thinking that was pretty crap the first time around too.

Having said that, the charm and whimsy of the game is still enough to make me stick with it, although the Ricco Harbour Secret Level can go and do one.

It's interesting revisiting older 3D Mario games and seeing all the bits and pieces that have been taken from them and polished until they practically glow in Odyssey. There's a good chance that playing 3D allstars will end up making me play through Odyssey again, which is fine by me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Fysh wrote: »
    The FLUDDless levels are continuing to be the main downside to Sunshine alright, although the sloppy coding on the camera (hey, let's show you the hill in front of Mario instead of what you want to see!) is also frustrating. I remember thinking that was pretty crap the first time around too.

Having saod that, the charm and whimsy of the game is still enough to make me stick with it, although the Ricco Harbour Secret Level can go and do one.

It's interesting evisiting older 3D Mario games and seeing all the bits and pieces that have been taken from them and polished until they practically glow in Odyssey. There's a good chance that playing 3D allstars will end up making me play through Odyssey again, which is fine by me :D

Agreed, you can really see how the later games too the bests parts, and made them feel natural in later games. Sunshine, for example, I really miss the crouching long jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I still have mine sealed sitting in my bag. Might just offload it cause I can't see myself playing it really.

Any takers :P

Actually fairly balanced...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

glasso wrote: »
    Actually fairly balanced...
    You seem very upset that most people are enjoying their purchase and hell bent on convincing them they're wrong. Don't worry about it. Be secure enough in your opinion to stand alone with it if needs be.

ah now - I didn't mean to unsettle the echo chamber that much, just provide a bit of counterpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

glasso wrote: »
    ah now - I didn't mean to unsettle the echo chamber that much, just provide a bit of counterpoint.

There's providing a counterpoint, and then there is repeatedly negatively commenting at every opportunity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

xckjoo wrote: »
    You seem very upset that most people are enjoying their purchase and hell bent on convincing them they're wrong. Don't worry about it. Be secure enough in your opinion to stand alone with it if needs be.

But what if you want to speed run the game! You can't.

Worst game ever!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But what if you want to speed run the game! You can't.

Worst game ever!

I mean, next people will think they can just go and play games for actual fun, without checking they're doing it in the right way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If this discussion regresses into negativity I'll be issuing infractions without a prior warning.
    Keep that in mind please and, it goes without saying, please do not ignore mod instructions.
    If you don't agree, then post elsewhere

Genuine question for folk who own/have played both Wii and Switch releases of Super Mario Galaxy - is there a definite benefit to playing one over the other? I would mostly if not exclusively playing docked, so no touch-screen shenanigans for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Fysh wrote: »
    Genuine question for folk who own/have played both Wii and Switch releases of Super Mario Galaxy - is there a definite benefit to playing one over the other? I would mostly if not exclusively playing docked, so no touch-screen shenanigans for me.

I've played both and tbh I think the Switch version is better. I use a switch pro controller, I think it would be a pain to play it using the touch screen. My wrists used to be killing me from shaking the wii controller to make Mario spin. On the switch you just press a button :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Right, I think the Great Sandbird thing is the end of my Mario Sunshine adventure, was fun while it lasted but would rather hang onto my pro controller for another while

Edit: Managed it in handheld mode after more Game Overs than I care to count. Did not enjoy that level.......Onwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

skerry wrote: »
    Right, I think the Great Sandbird thing is the end of my Mario Sunshine adventure, was fun while it lasted but would rather hang onto my pro controller for another while

Edit: Managed it in handheld mode after more Game Overs than I care to count. Did not enjoy that level.......Onwards.

Sandbird is a cake walk compared to the true horrors ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

skerry wrote: »

Haha, that was me the other day.

The secret levels are the real cùnts. Even on the early levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Haha, that was me the other day.

The secret levels are the real cùnts. Even on the early levels

Can't see Nintendo using that word on their promotional material. Or maybe that's Japanese for challenging. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Sandbird is a cake walk compared to the true horrors ahead.

Say it ain't so. I had my first Fluddless level and it wasn't much craic. Temptation to tuck into Mario 64 or Galaxy is increasing and starting to wonder should I see Sunshine out or not if there's further misery ahead

Got credits at 60 shines. Brought it up to 75 afterwards with 50 blue coins, stars around the plaza, secret areas around the plaza and a couple quick 100 coins.
    With that I think I'm done. All but 2 of the main level shines. Didn't do Yoshi at the Dock or the Coaster balloon popping

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Got credits at 60 shines. Brought it up to 75 afterwards with 50 blue coins, stars around the plaza, secret areas around the plaza and a couple quick 100 coins.
    With that I think I'm done. All but 2 of the main level shines. Didn't do Yoshi at the Dock or the Coaster balloon popping

Lightweight. People need to feel the same pain I felt back when this released!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Having focused time in Super Mario 64, I returned to Sunshine over the last couple of days and, I have to say, it's been a blast.
    I am having a much better time than I did the first time I played it, but then I did play the import version of the game and it's a little bit more challenging when the game is in Japanese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

I got this collection having played and loved 64 and Galaxy.

64 still looks totally authentic ... because it was the first to do it right ... right ! :)
    Still the same magic running around and climbing the trees outside the castle.
    Gorgeous music too. Sliding down that slide ... Instant smile on face. :)

Galaxy is a gigantic game. Still the same brilliance. Plus better looking now in HD.
    Is BEE Mario the best Mario. The music, the atmosphere...

Then I boot up Sunshine, having never played it before.
    And WTF it looks ugly and there are stupid voiceovers.
    And that stupid water spout ... aggghhh feels wrong ....
    First time a mainline 2d or 3d mario felt wrong to me.

So .. I'm going to have to give it another spin ...
    Maybe I was tired.
    Must try harder !

• Advertisement

Lightweight. People need to feel the same pain I felt back when this released!

Was grand. I know I enjoyed it back for the original release since I saw later that people were complaining online about it and I was thinking I had no problem with it.
    I'm not impatient but there are a lot of slow parts with instafail that means you have to go through the slowness again. Like the sandbird.
    But I did the pachinko in only 4 or 5 lives.

Advertisement